• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The GOP & the Christian Right

Started by bateman, October 10, 2013, 06:04:09 PM

DanTSX

Quote from: Quick Karl on October 16, 2013, 12:52:58 PM
It reminds me of football -- you would think that the "fans" actually believe they are players... I know lots of people enjoy football but when people's politics become the equivalent, that is plain stupid.
football players are their Jesus for 5 months of the year

Quick Karl

I know I am in the minority, but I have no clue what people find interesting about it - same with golf; people start talking about golf in the office and I walk away. I'm here to work, not talk about their vicarious life, and I tell em!

Quote from: DanTSX on October 16, 2013, 01:24:59 PM
football players are their Jesus for 5 months of the year

Sardondi

Quote from: West of the Rockies on October 16, 2013, 01:08:31 PM
And if nothing else, the elbows thrown here in the political threads are at least more interesting than the steaming piles of horseshit that have been popping up (plopping down) in the General threads lately.  Oh, lookie, another video of a fucking laundromat.  Tales of time travel and heartache.
...and I thought it was just me. I can't even go to most of the DM threads or the Compendium - the quality has definitely fallen off badly, and it makes me sad. I have....heartache.

onan

Quote from: Sardondi on October 16, 2013, 12:57:42 PM
Hey, you have nothing to apologize for. You may have noticed I can poke a stick in an eye myself. This is where grownups play, and sometimes some elbows get thrown and eyes get gouged, but no blood, no foul. Besides, criticizing an idea or even a group of people for ascribing to an idea, is not an "ad hominem" attack. I truly thought nothing of it. Some things we just become inured to, and I was in no way offended. It was very decent of you to apologize though

This is why Sardondi is one of my favorite posters. Yeah he has strong opinions and often we disagree vehemently. But follow us to a non political thread and we joke with each other like old and perhaps odd friends.

Quote from: Sardondi on October 16, 2013, 03:06:05 PM
...and I thought it was just me. I can't even go to most of the DM threads or the Compendium - the quality has definitely fallen off badly, and it makes me sad. I have....heartache.

I hear you, Sardondi.  At the risk of sounding a bit TPish, I just want my forum back!  We have some whacky posters here, most of whom are at least entertaining.  (Wasn't there an abjac -- or something like it a while ago?  He created a few threads, but he did not just dominate the damn place.)

I guess I need to "take a chill pill".  I'm not for censorship.  I have casio on ignore, the first time I have ever in any forum used that option (but each new thread he creates does pop up and I am alerted to each new post he makes even if the actual comment is blocked).  I've said my peace on the subject.  I'll pipe down now.  Maybe the cyber circle jerks will come to an end of their own attrition.

Quick Karl

Whew, I thought is was only me that felt that way!

Quote from: Sardondi on October 16, 2013, 03:06:05 PM

Quote from: Sardondi on October 15, 2013, 12:58:05 PM
I call Bullshit. He's your team bubba, not mine. There's no way in hell that's a legit Tea Partier. For more than 4 years your guys have tried to pull provocations at virtually every Tea Party rally there is, by dressing up and acting out as some ridiculous never-was Tea Party false fantasy which fits every leftist's wet dream, waving rebel flags and spewing racial epithets. They've been caught doing it countless times, though that kind of slime can't be embarrassed. Just like this lying POS depicted in front of the WH. J'accuse.
BTW, the guy's name is Michael Ashmore, of Hooks, Texas.  Not a liberal plant.  Just a douchebag.

Cynnie

Im new , im sure all the past threads were full of awesomeness and thunder , and todays threads just pale in comparison and i'm sure i contribute to whatever makes the "new" forum shit .
But it takes all kinds to make this world , just ignore the stuff you hate and focus on what you like .

Oh, Cynnie, but the political threads (as I think you know) are where posters go postal with resentment & accusation (mostly in a good way).  It's sort of like a cyber pillow fight.  ;D

Cynnie

Quote from: West of the Rockies on October 16, 2013, 05:46:30 PM
Oh, Cynnie, but the political threads (as I think you know) are where posters go postal with resentment & accusation (mostly in a good way).  It's sort of like a cyber pillow fight.  ;D

Awesome huh ?
I'm a much nicer person on facebook after i dump my load in the politic section here :)

WildCard

A stenographer for the House apparently lost it Wednesday night as lawmakers passed a government funding and debt limit deal, Roll Call reports. The stenographer began shouting about God and the Freemasons as the vote took place.

“He will not be mocked. He will not be mocked. Don’t touch me. He will not be mocked,” the stenographer shouted as she was taken away by U.S. Capitol Police. “The greatest deception here is not ‘one nation under God.’ It never was. Had it been, it would not have been.”

She continued, “The Constitution would not have been written by Freemasons. They go against God.”

She went on, “You cannot serve two masters. Praise be to God, Lord Jesus Christ.”

http://bestmoviesevernews.com/best-movies-ever-social-fbtwit/video-lawmakers-speachless-as-diane-reidy-white-house-stenographer-goes-off-on-freemasons/

onan

Quote from: WildCard on October 17, 2013, 02:37:19 PM
A stenographer for the House apparently lost it Wednesday night as lawmakers passed a government funding and debt limit deal, Roll Call reports. The stenographer began shouting about God and the Freemasons as the vote took place.

“He will not be mocked. He will not be mocked. Don’t touch me. He will not be mocked,” the stenographer shouted as she was taken away by U.S. Capitol Police. “The greatest deception here is not ‘one nation under God.’ It never was. Had it been, it would not have been.”

She continued, “The Constitution would not have been written by Freemasons. They go against God.”

She went on, “You cannot serve two masters. Praise be to God, Lord Jesus Christ.”

http://bestmoviesevernews.com/best-movies-ever-social-fbtwit/video-lawmakers-speachless-as-diane-reidy-white-house-stenographer-goes-off-on-freemasons/

I heard the report this morning. Hopefully some treatment will help.

Sardondi

Quote from: West of the Rockies on October 16, 2013, 03:37:39 PMI hear you, Sardondi.  At the risk of sounding a bit TPish, I just want my forum back!  We have some whacky posters here, most of whom are at least entertaining.  (Wasn't there an abjac -- or something like it a while ago?  He created a few threads, but he did not just dominate the damn place.)

I guess I need to "take a chill pill".  I'm not for censorship.  I have casio on ignore, the first time I have ever in any forum used that option (but each new thread he creates does pop up and I am alerted to each new post he makes even if the actual comment is blocked).  I've said my peace on the subject.  I'll pipe down now.  Maybe the cyber circle jerks will come to an end of their own attrition.

"I want my forum back!" This could be the "Freeeedoooom!" of BellGab. As for chill-pilling, these things IMO follow a sine wave. Sort of like the theory of physical, emotional and mental "waves" that was briefly popular in the 70's. We go through temp spikes and chills - it's natural.

And even though stuff stings and remarks may seem aimed specifically at us, we just can't take it personally. There was a stupid movie Bill Murray did in maybe the late 70's called Meatballs, which for its genre (summer camp hijinks laff riot) was actually not bad. There was a scene which I have come back to since I first saw it some 35 years ago. Murray leads the campers in a chant intended to ease the sting of a basketball loss to the snooty rich kids camp across the lake: "It just doesn't matter! It just doesn't matter! It just doesn't matter!" This throwaway line from a B movie I have said to myself after countless little things like broken shoestrings, as well as after having lost major trials, as my boss was tearing a 6-pound roast out of my ass, and when my GF at the time was telling me all the many, many things she had come to dislike about me. It's a wonderful mantra.

Quick Karl

I wonder why we haven't heard anything about the guy that set himself on fire on the National Mall, and almost nothing about the UNARMED mother that the DC Police MURDERED?

Doesn't serve the cause I guess...

Cynnie

Thats sad , i grew up around people who painted bible verses all over the camper of their trucks ..( more than you would imagine)

Mental illness is a scary thing..in some people it simmers just under the surface mascarading as god fearing  ..
Who knows ? Maybe she'll get her own radio program on premiere

Sardondi

Why is this here?

onan

Quote from: Quick Karl on October 17, 2013, 02:42:16 PM
I wonder why we haven't heard anything about the guy that set himself on fire on the National Mall, and almost nothing about the UNARMED mother that the DC Police MURDERED?

Doesn't serve the cause I guess...

The mother that was shot and killed was suffering from post partum depression as I understand it. It is a real frikken shame and tragedy. I am not sure there is more I can do about it. I wonder if it would have turned out differently if the dental hygenist had appropriate care? Major depression is often thought of as weakness or malingering. It hardly ever is.

Cynnie

Quote from: Sardondi on October 17, 2013, 02:47:34 PM
Why is this here?

Im assuming , and this is just assumptions mind you .
That liberally minded people rarely scream about jesus when they go bat shit crazy . So chickie was probably a rightie

And i think the tea party is chock full of simmering under the surface lunatics , who love jesus , guns and bigger guns

Sardondi

Quote from: Cynnie on October 17, 2013, 03:04:13 PM
Im assuming , and this is just assumptions mind you .
That liberally minded people rarely scream about jesus when they go bat shit crazy . So chickie was probably a rightie

And i think the tea party is chock full of simmering under the surface lunatics , who love jesus , guns and bigger guns
You really like to sling the shit don't you? Love to see the research you've got on all that, or is that one of those things you "know are so"? Like the "liberally minded people rarely scream about jesus when they go bat shit crazy" - lady, onan may have spent more time working in an ER than me, but I don't think there are many more people here who have. And I'm telling you anyone who thinks this isn't far from batshit crazy themselves. And what I saw from several years of working the ER was that the ones screaming the most and loudest about Jesus or God from insanity or even pain or distress have never voted Republican in their lives.

And then there's the implication and presumption, spoken with some pride it appears, that liberals aren't so foolish, quaint and provincial as to "love jesus" as you mockingly say. I'd kind of thought that was the tendency, it was pretty clear in fact. But I've never heard Democrats speak it with pride, as if it was the secret they didn't want out. Thanks for clearing that up.   

onan

The problem about religiosity and the GOP is quite nicely tied to several key republicans including Reagan and Rove.

I am not a particularly religious man, ok not at all. But to not consider the (for whatever the reason) importance so many place on it would be reckless or careless, perhaps both.

Cynnie

Quote from: Sardondi on October 17, 2013, 03:20:50 PM
You really like to sling the shit don't you? Love to see the research you've got on all that, or is that one of those things you "know are so"? Like the "liberally minded people rarely scream about jesus when they go bat shit crazy" - lady, onan may have spent more time working in an ER than me, but I don't think there are many more people here who have. And I'm telling you anyone who thinks this isn't far from batshit crazy themselves. And what I saw from several years of working the ER was that the ones screaming the most and loudest about Jesus or God from insanity or even pain or distress have never voted Republican in their lives.

And then there's the implication and presumption, spoken with some pride it appears, that liberals aren't so foolish, quaint and provincial as to "love jesus" as you mockingly say. I'd kind of thought that was the tendency, it was pretty clear in fact. But I've never heard Democrats speak it with pride, as if it was the secret they didn't want out. Thanks for clearing that up.

Dang grumpy pants , all im saying is i've never heard of one liberal going crazy and screaming about jesus ..
And loving jesus to me doesn't make you a superior person..

And me mocking ? Hahahahaaa! Thats kinda cute

Sardondi

Quote from: Cynnie on October 17, 2013, 03:04:13 PMIm assuming , and this is just assumptions mind you .

There's this....

...and then there's this....
Quote from: Cynnie on October 17, 2013, 03:30:37 PMDang grumpy pants , all im saying is i've never heard of one liberal going crazy and screaming about jesus ..
And loving jesus to me doesn't make you a superior person..

And me mocking ? Hahahahaaa! Thats kinda cute

Now, either someone is playing games, or an imposter grabbed your computer while you were away, because that first post and the second are completely incompatible and irreconcilable.

And BTW - that's a nice try at a sideslip on the jesus-superior person thing, but your comment was nothing about that, nor did I say anything of the sort. That was never the issue, and you know it. Claim what you say and take the consequences. It only stings a little while. 

Cynnie

You make me giggle, and i needed that today

Quick Karl

Sardondi, have you ever read The True Believer?

Here is a snippet:

All mass movements deprecate the present by depicting it as a mean preliminary to a glorious future; a mere doormat on the threshold of the millennium. To a religious movement the present is a place of exile, a vale of tears leading to the heavenly kingdom; to a social revolution it is a mean way station on the road to Utopia; to a nationalist movement it is an ignoble episode preceding the final triumph.

It is true of course that the hope released by a vivid visualization of a glorious future is a most potent source of daring and self-forgettingâ€"more potent than the implied deprecation of the present. A mass movement has to center the hearts and minds of its followers on the future even when it is not engaged in a life-and-death struggle with established institutions and privileges. The self-sacrifice involved in mutual sharing and co-operative action is impossible without hope. When today is all there is, we grab all we can and hold on. We are afloat in an ocean of nothingness and we hang on to any miserable piece of wreckage as if it were the tree of life. On the other hand, when everything is ahead and yet to come, we find it easy to share all we have and to forego advantages within our grasp. The behavior of the members of the Donner party when they were buoyed by hope and, later, when hope was gone illustrates the dependence of cooperativeness and the communal spirit on hope. Those without hope are divided and driven to desperate self-seeking. Common suffering by itself, when not joined with hope, does not unite nor does it evoke mutual generosity. The enslaved Hebrews in Egypt, “their lives made bitter with hard bondage,” were a bickering, back-biting lot. Moses had to give them hope of a promised land before he could join them together. The thirty thousand hopeless people in the concentration camp of Buchenwald did not develop any form of united action, nor did they manifest any readiness for self-sacrifice. There was more greed and ruthless selfishness there than in the greediest and most corrupt of free societies. “Instead of studying the way in which they could best help each other they used all their ingenuity to dominate and oppress each other.”

Hoffer, Eric (2011-05-10). The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements (Perennial Classics) (pp. 70-71). Harper Perennial Modern Classics. Kindle Edition.

It is a very enlightening read that I am sure you would find most interesting. I suspect that Obama has studied it, extensively. Cyanide may have to read it 12 or 15 times before making sense of it, maybe...

* WOW I was paging through my bookmarks and highlights:

The followers of a mass movement see themselves on the march with drums beating and colors flying. They are participators in a soul-stirring drama played to a vast audienceâ€"generations gone and generations yet to come. They are made to feel that they are not their real selves but actors playing a role, and their doings a “performance,” rather than as the real thing. Dying, too, they see as a gesture, an act of make-believe.

Hoffer, Eric (2011-05-10). The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements (Perennial Classics) (p. 72). Harper Perennial Modern Classics. Kindle Edition.

I'm going to have to read this again! It was a fantastic read the first two times!

Quick Karl

Those who fail in everyday affairs show a tendency to reach out for the impossible. It is a device to camouflage their shortcomings. For when we fail in attempting the possible, the blame is solely ours; but when we fail in attempting the impossible, we are justified in attributing it to the magnitude of the task. There is less risk in being discredited when trying the impossible than when trying the possible. It is thus that failure in everyday affairs often breeds an extravagant audacity.

Hoffer, Eric (2011-05-10). The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements (Perennial Classics) (p. 76). Harper Perennial Modern Classics. Kindle Edition.

Quick Karl

The delight of the frustrated in chaos and in the downfall of the fortunate and prosperous does not spring from an ecstatic awareness that they are clearing the ground for the heavenly city. In their fanatical cry of “all or nothing at all” the second alternative echoes perhaps a more ardent wish than the first.

Hoffer, Eric (2011-05-10). The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements (Perennial Classics) (p. 76). Harper Perennial Modern Classics. Kindle Edition.

What a fantastic book!!!!

NowhereInTime

Is everyone else enjoying Karl Von Wankberg having a conversation with himself?