• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20131008 - John Hogue - Prophecies for 2013/2014

Started by MV/Liberace!, October 08, 2013, 07:55:02 AM

Desmond

I think he is just playing songs he really likes, doesn't have to please anyone but himself in this format.  No bosses telling him to rotate bumpers or go to break now.  He's totally free form doing what he wants when he wants.  IMO :)

That being said, I agree that it would be nicer not to hear repeats so often.

Quote from: Spooky Matter on October 08, 2013, 08:22:19 PM
Does Anybody have Any idea At All about why Art keeps playing the Same Songs Over and Over? I'm not imagining this right?

It's sort of been that way since the 90's. When he was first playing Cusco, back when he did live reads selling Cusco records, you'd hear the same Cusco songs every night for months at a time. The songs sort of slowly get replaced and rotated out. SLOWLY though...

indigoo

Quote from: Spooky Matter on October 08, 2013, 08:23:59 PM
Where is the misunderstanding?

He says because Sirius is so clear, compared to AM, that the complaint is invalid. The complaint was the actual voices were so clear that it seems implausible. At least that's how I feel. Sirius clarity or not.

Calm down, I'm not trying to give him too hard a time. It's just a silly argument and he missed the point.

steelbot

Quote from: indigoo on October 08, 2013, 08:27:02 PM
He says because Sirius is so clear, compared to AM, that the complaint is invalid. The complaint was the actual voices were so clear that it seems implausible. At least that's how I feel. Sirius clarity or not.

Calm down, I'm not trying to give him too hard a time. It's just a silly argument and he missed the point.

That's also assuming it's your post he was talking about - i'm sure he got wormholed about it too.  PS did you check your pms indigoo

Spooky Matter

Quote from: indigoo on October 08, 2013, 08:27:02 PM

So wormhole him already?  Why are you telling me to calm down?  Are you just a misunderstood being?

Spooky Matter

Quote from: Spooky Matter on October 08, 2013, 08:29:11 PM
So wormhole him already?  Why are you telling me to calm down?  Are you just a misunderstood being?
Do a shot already!  Cheez!

Falkie2013

Quote from: indigoo on October 08, 2013, 08:22:24 PM
Art's excuse about our clarity complaint was gold. He totally misunderstood the complaint.I certainly wish he would play different stuff. More Cusco even.

I have a gut feeling that Art has bought gold and silver but hasn't done much study about how the mechanics of how the Federal government pays its debt.
If I had a way to send him a book or two on it, I'd do so.
I have about 200 books on finance, gold and silver investing, 2 books by current and former Fed heads, Forex, Bear Sterns, Lehman Brothers, Jim Kramer, etc. going back to the days of Howard Ruff, including his new one.
I started reading the WSJ when I was 3 and buying stock because my Mother watched Wall St Week every Friday night.
I'm about to take out $1100 out of my stock from when I was working to pay for our new catalytic converter. I used to buy 2 shares a paycheck of stock before I became homeless in 1996.
My Mother called and told me that since we now have a car I should go get a job. She doesn't realize that despite the pronouncements of Obama and Bernake, there aren't many jobs out there.
Before the great collapse, I could find a new job in under a month.
I looked on Monster and other sites and only saw 3 local cashier jobs.
Back then there were dozens and it was no problem finding new employment.

indigoo

Quote from: Spooky Matter on October 08, 2013, 08:29:11 PM

Not a big deal, I'm over it.

Quote from: steelbot on October 08, 2013, 08:28:43 PM
That's also assuming it's your post he was talking about - i'm sure he got wormholed about it too.  PS did you check your pms indigoo

I did, thanks!

casioson

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzZZZZZ

steelbot

Quote from: Spooky Matter on October 08, 2013, 08:30:34 PM
Do a shot already!  Cheez!
Hrm...........are you talking and quoting yourself now? lol ???

Northcoaster

Of course it's likely to happen. These politician's egos are worth more to them than anything.

Quote from: ZomZom on October 08, 2013, 08:28:28 PM
What is Cusco?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cusco_(band)

Art used to play them a lot in the 90's, he's had Michael Holm on the show before, used to sell their albums, and his old nightly outro music was Cusco for a long time before Crystal Gayle wrote "Midnight in the Desert" for him.

Quote from: Spooky Matter on October 08, 2013, 08:22:19 PM
Does Anybody have Any idea At All about why Art keeps playing the Same Songs Over and Over? I'm not imagining this right?
Actually, Sirius pays licensing and logs are kept for each play. The short excerpts used as bumper music are most likely preloaded on producer's computer and Art doesn't cue them up spontaneously anymore, like he did on C2C. But it is a good bet Art chooses what the producer has in the library.

Spooky Matter

Quote from: Northcoaster on October 08, 2013, 08:31:45 PM
Of course it's likely to happen. These politician's egos are worth more to them than anything.
Even their children.  Heartless!

steelbot

Quote from: mcclellanrobert on October 08, 2013, 08:32:34 PM
Actually, Sirius pays licensing and logs are kept for each play. The short excerpts used as bumper music are most likely preloaded on producer's computer and Art doesn't cue them up spontaneously anymore, like he did on C2C. But it is a good bet Art chooses what the producer has in the library.
ACTUALLY, sirius DOESN'T PAY! lol - they were in trouble for a bit there with not paying royalties for some music they were playing.

nofAcedAgent

I think he selects the songs as he goes. There has been several times already on Dark Matter where he plays a song relevant to the immediate conversation he and the guest were having.

ZomZom

Thanks, GuildNav.  Just searched Cusco on Spotify and recognized the 'Montezuma' track.

The Internet still amazes.

Spooky Matter

Good Answer! Thank you.  Frankly it's getting a teeny bit monotonous.  I don't care how much I love those songs. Ruminating music is weird.

Quote from: nofAcedAgent on October 08, 2013, 08:35:03 PM
I think he selects the songs as he goes. There has been several times already on Dark Matter where he plays a song relevant to the immediate conversation he and the guest were having.

I thought I noticed this too.

Quote from: steelbot on October 08, 2013, 08:34:32 PM
ACTUALLY, sirius DOESN'T PAY! lol - they were in trouble for a bit there with not paying royalties for some music they were playing.
Don't want to get off on a side track, but terrestrial broadcast radio stations/networks pay ASCAP/BMI fees allowing them to play music. I brain-farted, as Sirius is EXTRA-terrestrial radio...whole different ball game I'm sure.

Desmond

I think Art picks the bumpers not a producer, lets see if there is a money themed bumper out of this segment or into the next.

Spooky Matter

Yes I love the songs and love the relevance he goes for but come on?  It's like what, 20 songs? Every night.  Even more than once in a night I think, I've fast forwarded so much I'm not sure.  And Not because of him.

Well of course he would have to choose what music is in the library, these are almost ALL songs he's been playing for about 18 years now.

steelbot

Quote from: mcclellanrobert on October 08, 2013, 08:37:32 PM
Don't want to get off on a side track, but terrestrial broadcast radio stations/networks pay ASCAP/BMI fees allowing them to play music. I brain-farted, as Sirius is EXTRA-terrestrial radio...whole different ball game I'm sure.
oh no, I was just busting your butt there on the joke that sirius pays for their licensing http://www.slashgear.com/sirius-xm-radio-hit-with-lawsuit-over-alleged-failure-to-pay-royalties-27295045/

phrodo

Quote from: Remley on October 08, 2013, 08:38:20 PM
I think Art picks the bumpers not a producer, lets see if there is a money themed bumper out of this segment or into the next.

Pink Floyd?

I feel like every talk show host I've ever listened to uses the same 10 bumpers for years at a time.

Falkie2013

U.S. Default Will Never Happen: David Stockman

CNN's Tom Foreman takes a look at what would happen if the U.S. government defaults [CNN 10-07-2013]

I will make a prediction of my own.
If we do default, you're going to see a lot of Congressmen and Senators defeated in the 2014 Congressional elections even in so called " safe seats ".
The people only will put up with so much bs from Congress. Their approval rating is now down to 12 %.

This guy doesn't seem to get it.

We have MOST of our money to pay 2/3 of the bills.

Here are 2 articles on it from NPR and Hot Air.

Moody’s dismisses default talk, says US will pay bills even if debt ceiling not lifted
POSTED AT 9:21 AM ON OCTOBER 7, 2013 BY ED MORRISSEY

We are on Day Seven of the 17% Shutdown, but a more ominous deadline approaches in ten days for the budget impasse in Washington. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew estimates that the US will have exhausted its borrowing power by October 17th, and that any additional deficit spending will require a new authorization from Congress for a higher debt limit. A failure to make the change by the 17th will create a technical default, the administration claims, while conservatives have argued for two years that the government can prioritize its spending to pay its Treasury and statutory obligations first to avoid one.

The CEO of credit rater Moody’s agrees with the conservatives, and reassured markets that the US will almost certainly choose to do so:

The CEO of credit rating agency Moody’s ruled out the chance of a U.S. government default, even if an agreement over raising the debt ceiling is not achieved by mid-October. …

“It is extremely unlikely that the Treasury is not going to continue to pay on those securities,” Moody’s CEO Raymond McDaniel said in an interview with CNBC.

“Hopefully it is unlikely that we go past October 17 and fail to raise the debt ceiling, but even if that does happen, then we think that the U.S. Treasury is still going to pay on those Treasury securities,” he added.
That probably explains why the markets are giving this the ho-hum treatment so far:

Thus far, financial markets have displayed a relatively muted reaction to the government shutdown, which began last Tuesday after Democrats and Republicans failed to renew the federal budget into a new fiscal year. Wall Street’s S&P 500 is up roughly 0.5 percent since the beginning of the shutdown to Friday’s close, for example.

McDaniel attributed the markets’ seemingly complacent reaction to the relatively fresh memory of the 2011 political stalemate over the debt ceiling issue, which was ultimately resolved.

“[It] feels a lot like we’ve seen this movie before,” said McDaniel. “Ironically because we have had this experience in the recent past [it] gives people more of a sense of calm than perhaps they should have.”
CNBC also notes that the moment of prioritization has almost arrived for Lew:

Treasury Secretary Jack Lew is about to face the very same choices confronted by any financially struggling American household: Which bills to pay and when to pay them.

If Congress fails to raise the debt ceiling by around Oct. 17, Lew, who has been in the job less than a year, will have to sit at his desk and figure out how to make due on roughly one-third less in the way of government funds for the bills he has to pay. Because he can no longer borrow, according to the Bipartisan Policy Center, government spending will fall by about 32 percent, or $108 billion in the first month.

It’s like the head of a household who has a family member gone wild with a credit card: Lew will be responsible for paying the very bills that Congress has rung up, even while Congress denies him the right to borrow money to pay for them.

But there are some key differences with households: While a homeowner might juggle a dozen or so monthly bills, Lew has to figure out which of more than 100 million monthly government payments to make. Because the government payment system is largely automated, Lew can’t just decide not write a check here or there. He has to figure out how to transform a system designed to pay all of America’s bills in full and in a timely way, to one that pays some of its bills, and not others.
My guess is that we’ll get some sort of face-saving deal by the 15th or so, which will make this unnecessary. However, Lew might want to expedite the development of this solution just in case.

Tags: debt ceiling, government default, Jack Lew, Moody's, shutdown

Weirdly, A Default Could Make Investors More Eager To Lend The U.S. Money
by QUOCTRUNG BUI
October 07, 2013 1:20 PM

With the debt ceiling threshold 10 days away, the big question on everyone's mind is: what will happen if the government defaults? The story usually goes like this:

1. Congress does not raise the debt ceiling in time.

2. The U.S. defaults on its debt.

3. Financial markets immediately freak out because U.S. debt is no longer "risk free."

4. As a result, investors will start demanding higher interest rates to lend money to the U.S. government

But some investors see it differently, according to survey conducted by J.P. Morgan and posted by Sober Look. While most agree that U.S. default will send short term interest rates into a tizzy, there is a substantial split over what will happen with long term debt â€" and a majority of investors think interest rates on long-term debt will actually fall, not rise, if the U.S. defaults on its debt.

J.P. Morgan
Investors still see U.S. Treasury bonds as among the safest investments in the world. And if a U.S. default leads to chaos in the financial world, investors will seek safety in ... Treasury bonds.

In the long run, though, this would not be a good thing. As Adam Davidson recently wrote in his column:

While this possibility might not sound so bad, it's really far more damaging than the apocalyptic one I imagined. Rather than resulting in a sudden crisis, failure to raise the debt ceiling would lead to a slow bleed. Scott Mather, head of the global portfolio at Pimco, the world's largest private bond fund, explained that while governments and institutions might go on a U.S.-bond buying frenzy in the wake of a debt-ceiling panic, they would eventually recognize that the U.S. government was not going through an odd, temporary bit of insanity. They would eventually conclude that it had become permanently less reliable. Mather imagines institutional investors and governments turning to a basket of currencies, putting their savings in a mix of U.S., European, Canadian, Australian and Japanese bonds. Over the course of decades, the U.S. would lose its unique role in the global economy.
The U.S. benefits enormously from its status as global reserve currency and safe haven. Our interest and mortgage rates are lower; companies are able to borrow money to finance their new products more cheaply. As a result, there is much more economic activity and more wealth in America than there would be otherwise. If that status erodes, the U.S. economy's peaks will be lower and recessions deeper; future generations will have fewer job opportunities and suffer more when the economy falters. And, Mather points out, no other country would benefit from America's diminished status. When you make the base risk-free asset more risky, the entire global economy becomes riskier and costlier.