• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Is the fear of comets built into our DNA?

Started by Mind Flayer Monk, September 26, 2013, 03:07:43 AM

One of AB's comments on Sept 25 (Mark Apler show) was that AB felt a fear of comets was built into our genetic code.

I also noticed that people seem fascinated with mass extinctions-asteroid strikes, disease pandemics, and nuclear war. The end of the world is also a frequent mass fear. So is the fear of these things built into our DNA as well? Does our DNA contain a built in kill switch activated by a comet? Did the Anunookis put it there?

Humans are afraid of things they don't understand... like mysterious lights in the skies.

Nothing more to it than that.

Wintermute

Existential Risk my friend... people worry about sh!t they can't control, don't understand, and are surprised to know what is going one after the fact.

Zap Rowsdower

This was a comment by Art that made me think "what the hell is he talking about?"

I don't get it. A fear of comets built into our DNA? Of course not. I'm not afraid of comets at all. I love seeing comets. Everyone I know who's at all interested in astronomy gets a thrill out of witnessing a comet fly by.

Foodlion

That comment sparked an interest to me when I heard him say it too. Yes I think it's possible.

ksm32

I fucking hope no less than seven planet killer size rocks hit us from all directions, had enough. :)

aldousburbank

Quote from: ksm32 on October 02, 2013, 09:08:06 PM
I fucking hope no less than seven planet killer size rocks hit us from all directions, had enough. :)
This is great. I don't know why.

Falkie2013

They'd probably hit each other and carom off into deep space like pool balls on a pool table just to piss you off.
Guy wishes for the Earth to be destroyed by asteroids ?
I don't.
Except for my ailments and my weight, I'm enjoying life too much.
May a tiny, teensy asteroid land on your house and break your typing fingers.
Talk about being a jerk and grouchy too.
Sheesh.

ksm32

Quote from: Falkie2013 on October 03, 2013, 10:20:13 AM
They'd probably hit each other and carom off into deep space like pool balls on a pool table just to piss you off.
Guy wishes for the Earth to be destroyed by asteroids ?
I don't.
Except for my ailments and my weight, I'm enjoying life too much.
May a tiny, teensy asteroid land on your house and break your typing fingers.
Talk about being a jerk and grouchy too.
Sheesh.

That's just mean man. I just paid my house off this past August 1st. Jerk? YES! Grouchy? no.

Also kind sir, if the rocks came at us from all directions as mentioned? they would in no way make contact with each other as the earth is round.

This does not make me a "jerk" Mr Poopypants.

lonevoice

Quote from: ksm32 on October 03, 2013, 10:24:03 PM
That's just mean man. I just paid my house off this past August 1st. Jerk? YES! Grouchy? no.

Also kind sir, if the rocks came at us from all directions as mentioned? they would in no way make contact with each other as the earth is round.

This does not make me a "jerk" Mr Poopypants.

onan

Art's conjecture about fear of comets built into our DNA shows a fundamental misunderstanding of genetics.

DNA is programming on a molecular level. To keep it simple, the sequence and length of chains of 4 nucleotides and alternating sugars and phosphates in essence give instructions for cellular metabolisn, differentiation, and replication. Those functions eventually lead to a mature living creature.

Emotional responses are learned. Emotions themselves are instinctual, how those emotions are displayed are primarily learned. That is why some people when frightened run and others fight.

So seeing a comet in the sky could very well cause a fear reaction. That reaction may become hardwired in a neural system. But it will not rewrite the DNA of that creature.

If a small band of primates have an emotional response to unrecognized stimuli, fear of things in the sky may lead to a more dominant emotional response over the generations. But that is about as close as it gets to an innate fear of anything.

ItsOver

Quote from: Wintermute on September 26, 2013, 03:03:31 PM
Existential Risk my friend... people worry about sh!t they can't control, don't understand, and are surprised to know what is going one after the fact.

Are we talking about the Federal Government?

onan

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 04, 2013, 10:56:55 PM
Art should have Onan on as a guest

yeah... you want 2 hours of can't get to sleep fast enough, I am your guy.

Quote from: onan on October 04, 2013, 11:04:02 PM

Maybe that's exactly what I'm looking for

ksm32

Quote from: onan on October 04, 2013, 11:04:02 PM

LOL. That's good. :D

Robert

This is, or is close to, something some Velikovskians and neo-Velikovskians believe.