• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20130924 - Seth Shostak - Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI)

Started by MV/Liberace!, September 24, 2013, 10:58:29 AM

steelbot

Just heard Wards call - good call - you did sound a little pessimistic towards Seth's answers, I feel that Seth's just a strongly rooted in what he can measure as most "scientists" are and not on like he said, I witness type accounts.  And I agree with Art's assumption, that until it happens to you, you can be in the group of either dismissing it totally, or it's just not real.  I struggle to really believe what's happened in the recent future.  I like to believe more in the Ancient Alien's assumption, that maybe they made it here once or twice long times ago, and that just due to the distances involved have not been able to return.  I like that presumption a little bit more...BUT I've never seen anything remarkable, at least that I didn't have some form of knowledge that it was indeed man made =P

my 2 cents!

Quick Karl

I'm not worried, but I am NOT helping NSAGoogle get richer. I stopped using all forms of NSAGoogle about 5-years ago, because I thought it was disgusting that they were getting so rich, and had their private jets parked on an Air Force base. I should AT LEAST get a cut of the money they make off of my information! So, I help their competition get rich instead.

I even tried a Samsung Galaxy Note II for a few days and, while I liked the large screen, its an NSAGoogle tracking device, so I took it back and now use an Apple tracking device!  ;D

Quote from: steelbot on September 25, 2013, 09:59:47 AM
As a former Cyber Surety (3dox3) professional with the USAF - I would just state that if you're really worried - DONT use the internet, phones (smartphones), or any form of connected device and restrict yourself to leaving paper messages between you and friends with your own code's in say ....a book, and then make sure they're on flash paper that you can burn and disintegrate once the message is received!

steelbot

Quote from: Quick Karl on September 25, 2013, 10:26:34 AM
I'm not worried, but I am NOT helping NSAGoogle get richer. I stopped using all forms of NSAGoogle about 5-years ago, because I thought it was disgusting that they were getting so rich, and had their private jets parked on an Air Force base. I should AT LEAST get a cut of the money they make off of my information! So, I help their competition get rich instead.

I even tried a Samsung Galaxy Note II for a few days and, while I liked the large screen, its an NSAGoogle tracking device, so I took it back and now use an Apple tracking device!  ;D

...Well I can see your point in not wishing to aid them further, just that your going to be pressed to find ANY interconnected technology device that isn't compromised, and offering your data out like it's crack cakes!  Or one that hasn't been compromised already, and still "dormant" in it's belief that it's secure.  The best class I ever attended was the one where they had everyone take a picture with their smart phones then turn em off,......Only to show us DURING the presentation our pictures we'd just taken at that moment were now up on the screen and what seat #'s phone had been re-activated and the information gotten. 

Removal of the battery was the "best" defense - but upon re-insertion of the battery - the device could then still be surreptitiously re-activated without user interaction/knowledge....

WOTR

That was a great call Ward... it really seemed to have got a good conversation happening.  It reminds me of the days of old when you would have intelligent callers and Art would just step aside for a few minutes to allow a flow to develop.  Art knows what makes for great radio and will allow an intelligent, respectful caller with great questions a bit of time.  It really has been a long time since there has been a late night show with a host who will allow this or who has the callers that can pull it off.

Very nice.

sleeplessinca

Quote from: steelbot on September 25, 2013, 10:33:20 AM
... The best class I ever attended was the one where they had everyone take a picture with their smart phones then turn em off,......Only to show us DURING the presentation our pictures we'd just taken at that moment were now up on the screen and what seat #'s phone had been re-activated and the information gotten....
You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube
<makes sure all post-it notes are securely on all "smart" lenses.> 
Take that Illuminati ! ! !  May you be bored to death,  Watch the wash!

coaster

So I missed the show. Is there a way to listen to last night show on Sirius?

steelbot

Quote from: coaster on September 25, 2013, 01:23:03 PM
So I missed the show. Is there a way to listen to last night show on Sirius?
yes Just type in Art Bells name if you're using the web-player and you can find his on demand shows.

coaster

Quote from: steelbot on September 25, 2013, 01:30:47 PM
yes Just type in Art Bells name if you're using the web-player and you can find his on demand shows.
Thanks.

steelbot

I have a replay up and running right now folks - Art Bell - Dark Matter - 9/24/2013 - Guest: Seth Shostak - SETI - ANYONE on let me know how the sound quality is...
plug --> http://willstare.com:8150/ into your favorite media player.  The stream may drop from time to time as I continue testing things out.

Morgus

Quote from: steelbot on September 25, 2013, 03:09:44 PM
I have a replay up and running right now folks - Art Bell - Dark Matter - 9/24/2013 - Guest: Seth Shostak - SETI - ANYONE on let me know how the sound quality is...
plug --> http://willstare.com:8150/ into your favorite media player.  The stream may drop from time to time as I continue testing things out.

Thats a good idea, stream the live nightly show and then replay it the rest of the day.

But I just checked and the page says:
Server Status:    Server is currently down.

steelbot

Quote from: Morgus on September 25, 2013, 03:19:17 PM
Thats a good idea, stream the live nightly show and then replay it the rest of the day.

But I just checked and the page says:
Server Status:    Server is currently down.

Should be back up - My streaming software gave me some issue that I had to reboot...

awake

Quote from: indigoo on September 25, 2013, 09:51:14 AM
Use HushMail if you're seriously that concerned about email privacy.

And don't forget to stop using Google/Bing/Yahoo to search.
Is hush the one which requires user and send to use the program/service?  I ask because I recently heard that the gov had shut down all the services that hadn't been compromised.  I assume that any still active are defacto pwned by big brother, is this incorrect?  It would be great to have a conversation without the meta-room monitor so if hush is really real that would be great.

bateman

Did anyone else feel like Seth was on a little longer than he needed to be?

Falkie2013

It's a bit off topic but I got AT & T to tell me how to turn on the wireless router functions on my DSL modem.
So now I can listen to Art on my Iphone and it won't eat up my data usage and since I have several portable speakers that can connect with the Iphone I can listen to Art anywhere in the apartment.
And now the modem will talk to the other Imac in the bedroom once I get it set up so I can escape there when my gf comes over to watch tv.
Didn't have to buy an FM transmitter to do so, though I saw 5 local networks were detected once I was able to set it up. I know there are other Mac users living in my building.
After the HD tv, then the Ipad and Art anywhere I want.
Hmm, Google has those balloons so people can access the net anywhere in the world eventually.
Can we come up with the Art Bell Interdimensional Blimp like that Atomic Blimp in Grand Theft Auto 5.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: bateman on September 25, 2013, 05:05:36 PM
Did anyone else feel like Seth was on a little longer than he needed to be?

Yeah after awhile there isn't much to discuss with Seth, he's a great two hour guest, that's probably why art went to the phones, to let people discuss stuff with him.

bateman

Quote from: SaucyRossy on September 25, 2013, 05:13:10 PM
Yeah after awhile there isn't much to discuss with Seth, he's a great two hour guest, that's probably why art went to the phones, to let people discuss stuff with him.

Even the second hour seemed to have run out of steam. I was fascinated to hear about the new experiment to detect energy output though.

Quick Karl

I'd still take any of Art's show over that other guy - there's just no comparison whatsoever.

Quote from: coaster on September 25, 2013, 06:00:40 PM
I found myself nodding off half way through.

Test4echo

Quote from: Quick Karl on September 25, 2013, 06:11:13 PM
I'd still take any of Art's show over that other guy - there's just no comparison whatsoever.

Amen Brother! Last nights show was great, as was every single show Arts done.....EVER.

Amazing to me how I am still at Arts mercy after all these years.
I still feel guilty when miss a show.

He is just as good (or better) now  than he was in '95. Just amazing.

Test4echo,

Quote from: coaster on September 25, 2013, 06:00:40 PM
I found myself nodding off half way through.

Art needs some time to ween guests off of the C2C guest monologues that we have been subjected to for the last 10 years.

klaatu

Quote from: Falkie2013 on September 25, 2013, 08:05:04 AM
The problem with not using Google ....
I think that the time is way past worrying about companies tracking us.
I think almost every major tracking company is tracking someone, somewhere.

FWIW, if you use Firefox browser, you can use the add-on DoNotTrack.  So far, I show 50,000 sites were blocked from tracking.  Sure, not 100% secure, but at least better than without such a filter.  Hope this is useful.

dan7800

Just listening to the show now. What a GREAT show. This week has been much better than the last 3 guests of the 1st week. Already classic shows we are listening to.

I can already see myself listening to these shows in 20 years on some "Classic" stream.

dan7800

Quote from: Test4echo on September 25, 2013, 06:21:56 PM
Amen Brother! Last nights show was great, as was every single show Arts done.....EVER.

Some of Art's shows have been less than great. See numbers lady. I cannot stand those shows.

Spinner

I've been listening to the replay of the Seth Shostak interview, and I just heard Ward's call again. It truly was a great call.

We are so fortunate to have so many intelligent and talented members here at BellGab.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Spinner on September 27, 2013, 11:49:28 PM
We are so fortunate to have so many intelligent and talented members here at BellGab.
How about us dumbasses?

onan

Quote from: onan on September 24, 2013, 08:24:49 PM
buying the wifi antenna when I get home.

It was delivered today... does exactly what it says. My signal improved/increased by 40%