• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

should i install Winamp or VLC?

Started by casioson, September 23, 2013, 04:56:10 PM

onan

Quote from: casioson on September 23, 2013, 05:41:20 PM
I don't understand....

Both apps are very good, sometimes one of them gets a bit persnickety and won't play something then the other app becomes a fall back and usually works.

I recommend d/l both.

Morgus

I prefer WinAmp for audio only (I didn't install its video part)
VLC is good for video with built-in video codecs, but I prefer Media Player Classic for video and using a separate codec pack for support of a variety of video and audio compression formats.

casioson

Quote from: onan on September 23, 2013, 06:42:04 PM
Both apps are very good, sometimes one of them gets a bit persnickety and won't play something then the other app becomes a fall back and usually works.

I recommend d/l both.

DONE.

steelbot

Quote from: casioson on September 23, 2013, 07:31:50 PM
DONE.
yes lol - I agree both are go to apps for various listening/viewing pleasures and have been since their inceptions!

Wintermute

I like WinAmp a little better, mainly because I have used it since the 1990's. BUT... VLC is a great app as well.

jayatracy

BS Player is awesome because it installs necessary codecs so that you can watch movies and such that require them (automatically). VLC is good, winamp is OK. Winamp used to be better before nullsoft got bought out by AOL.

area51drone

We know casio is still reading this thread..

I would stay away from winamp. First off it is full of bloatware and PUPs and secondly Winamp is shutting down and won't be available soon.
http://www.askvg.com/end-of-an-era-winamp-is-shutting-down-on-december-20-2013/ Back in the day it was fun to play with the fractals but since then it has lost so much market share. No one uses it any more. Personally I use VLC and itunes and the player that came with my creative audigy. I'm sure some members here can suggest some other modern player besides winamp.

steelbot

Quote from: Kate the Bionic Uterus on December 21, 2013, 03:11:31 AM
I would stay away from winamp. First off it is full of bloatware and PUPs and secondly Winamp is shutting down and won't be available soon.
http://www.askvg.com/end-of-an-era-winamp-is-shutting-down-on-december-20-2013/ Back in the day it was fun to play with the fractals but since then it has lost so much market share. No one uses it any more. Personally I use VLC and itunes and the player that came with my creative audigy. I'm sure some members here can suggest some other modern player besides winamp.
While I agree VLC is def. the defacto audio/video player - Winamp still serves a function for me and I use it daily.  The music visualizers available are still better than anything out there (only close one would be maybe G-Force) - But as far as music playing and tweaking audio stuff - I like it very well and have since it's creation.  Just because they finally closed their doors, doesn't mean the software is junk.  It's gained regular updates through this year.  The company itself has actually been 'dying' for almost 5 years or more, since they were bought up by AOL.

steelbot

Quote from: area51drone on December 22, 2013, 11:50:24 PM
casio lives.
lol - I saw - and am quite certain his alter-ego didn't go unnoticed but no care on my part lol

aldousburbank

Quote from: steelbot on December 23, 2013, 08:42:34 PM
lol - I saw - and am quite certain his alter-ego didn't go unnoticed but no care on my part lol
Doggies need love too.

area51drone

I need to watch the matrix again... god that was such a good trilogy.   

Quote from: aldousburbank on December 23, 2013, 08:49:21 PM
Doggies need love too.
Quote from: steelbot on December 23, 2013, 08:53:23 PM
Cookies need Love Too!

Dog cookies need love too :S

btw I heard that winamp has come back from the dead and has been bought by another company.

slippingaway

Winamp was a pioneer in the industry.  I use Windows Media player for my audio, and VLC for most of my video codecs. I miss WMP10, they gimped it with oversimplification! Seems to be the growing theme in the industry...

Quote from: slippingaway on February 12, 2014, 11:46:00 PM
Winamp was a pioneer in the industry.  I use Windows Media player for my audio, and VLC for most of my video codecs. I miss WMP10, they gimped it with oversimplification! Seems to be the growing theme in the industry...

Ya i remember using it for the music visuals add ons it had going for it.

5 great (free) alternatives to Winamp http://www.thinkdigit.com/Software/5-great-free-alternatives-to-Winamp_18527.html

cweb

Foobarr2000 is the shiz. Been using that for years. The plugins are pretty awesome too-- the 5.1 upmix works great on my old PC's sound system.

And to hell with iTunes. I don't even use that junk on my Macbook. (Cog, here.)

VLC and MPC are both excellent especially when i had WMV files back in the day that Windows Media Player wouldn't play!

My last resort player is Kantaris, which was able to play broken or un-complete video download files and more obscure video formats from my very old mobile phone.

http://kantaris.org/