• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell free live stream

Started by Morgus, September 13, 2013, 06:24:02 PM

Morgus

Since the Art Bell chat with free stream has been nixed by MV.
How about someone start one (or more)  free streams WITHOUT A CHAT FEATURE, thats what I prefer anyway.
Just something like using a shoutcast server that can be played on PC with regular audio apps like Winamp, and also will play on many standalone media player devices, including smart TVs and blu-ray players, etc that support shoutcast streams.
Then we folks can use bellgab.com if they want to chat during the show, while listening to the separate live stream.
Please post links to any free standalone streams to the Art Bell live show here.
If possible start the stream this weekend playing perhaps classic Art Bell shows that we can test it with.

MV/Liberace!

I think that's a great idea. I already know of several that will be sprouting up shortly, but I'm not sure how their operators would like to roll it out and inform people of it, so I'll leave that to them.

Mels-hole1984

Just curious, Did Ipoksmot get banned from the forum?

SaucyRossy

To me while I understand WHY people need a free stream (finances, out of the country, etc) it's a grey area to me.

I do believe it might be good for people to support the show and Keith specifically in another way. Some one else mentioned that if you click on the amazon link on art bell then buy stuff, Keith gets a kick back and since he is working solely on whatever the site generates its a good way to indirectly support the show.

Or example, almost everyone uses amazon especially during the holiday season, just click on the amazon link on artbell.com then do your regular shopping.

I just think its a positive thing to do. IMO.

MV/Liberace!

saucyrossy... I agree with your reservations. through free streams, sirius gets no meaningful indication of art's economic contribution to the company.

Renaldo

Quote from: Morgus on September 13, 2013, 06:24:02 PM

Just something like using a shoutcast server that can be played on PC with regular audio apps like Winamp, and also will play on many standalone media player devices, including smart TVs and blu-ray players, etc that support shoutcast streams.

Shoutcast would be great. I've got Roku players running it to listen to old shows.

Morgus

Quote from: Renaldo on September 13, 2013, 07:39:03 PM
Shoutcast would be great. I've got Roku players running it to listen to old shows.
yes shoutcast streams are the best and work on a multitude of standalone media player devices including Rokus.  :)

dan7800

I don't know why anyone would give MV crap over this.

Chatrooms suck. There is a reason why they aren't really around anymore.

As far as the stream, I've posted here many many times about how you can get Sirius (legally) for around $5/month. We can all afford that.

Ipokesmot

Quote from: Morgus on September 13, 2013, 08:32:33 PM
yes shoutcast streams are the best and work on a multitude of standalone media player devices including Rokus.  :)

Also as an alternative there's StreamerP2P.  Not as practical as a Shoutcast server, but it's good if you don't have access to one.
Everyone who listens to a stream helps stream it to others listening.

williedee

as always, I will offer a shoutcast server that someone can broadcast to.  My only requirement for the broadcast source would be that its a 24kbps mp3 stream(it sounds fine for talk ;)). Other than that, I will take care of the rest.

WildCard

Quote from: MV on September 13, 2013, 06:30:28 PM
I think that's a great idea. I already know of several that will be sprouting up shortly, but I'm not sure how their operators would like to roll it out and inform people of it, so I'll leave that to them.
Whoever you are, please PM me.

scottydawg

Jeezus Crackers already! This is as bad as people that download illegal Mp3 files, boost cable TV signals or put yellow "Support Our Troops" ribbons on their cars but don't want to pay any more taxes during the war! Guess what you little whiners all this stuff cost money! Yes real money, not Monopoly Money! listening to old shows from long ago that are no longer available is one thing, but putting on a livestream from your SiriusXM receiver onto the web without permission so the little cheapskates out there can listen FREE is another. How many of you out there tell your boss, "Hey Boss, don't give me a raise", or "Hell I'll work for Free, I love being a slave!" Cripes All Mighty already we've told you folks how to find used  Sirius XM radios on eBay.
It's like the old people who piss and moan about property taxes going up to build and staff a new school, but forget about the taxpayers who paid the bills way back then so their little butts could attend school!

Ipokesmot

Settle down Nancy, it's just a small group of coastgabbers getting together for the show.. not like we're rebroadcasting the show world wide on shortwave... hey now that's an idea..   ::)

Also a "pirate" stream is the ONLY option for people overseas who want to listen live, since Sirius blocks anything other than USA and Canada.

widespread1

Quote from: Ipokesmot on September 15, 2013, 02:34:39 AM
Settle down Nancy, it's just a small group of coastgabbers getting together for the show.. not like we're rebroadcasting the show world wide on shortwave... hey now that's an idea..   ::)

Also a "pirate" stream is the ONLY option for people overseas who want to listen live, since Sirius blocks anything other than USA and Canada.

yeah!

elbee

Some of us here who have been long term supporters of bell returning have been pissed on by Sirius because we don't live in North America

onan

First off, Sirius has satelites that cover the American continent. They didn't all get together and decode to "piss" on other countries. More than likely the legalities of broadcasting by satelite are in some way problematic or too costly.

Secondly, you guys might not like what Scottydawg is saying, (it is somewhat hyperbolic) but his point of being illegal is accurate. I am always amazed by juvenile thought which seems to think if someone likes something it cannot possibly be wrong.

I am not saying if you want to stream a program that is not supposed to be streamed to non subscribers you can't do it. Just be adult enough to accept the fact that the act is illegal.

There is such an abundance of lazy thinking with some posters here.

Ipokesmot

Quote from: onan on September 15, 2013, 04:51:29 AM
First off, Sirius has satelites that cover the American continent. They didn't all get together and decode to "piss" on other countries. More than likely the legalities of broadcasting by satelite are in some way problematic or too costly.

Secondly, you guys might not like what Scottydawg is saying, (it is somewhat hyperbolic) but his point of being illegal is accurate. I am always amazed by juvenile thought which seems to think if someone likes something it cannot possibly be wrong.

I am not saying if you want to stream a program that is not supposed to be streamed to non subscribers you can't do it. Just be adult enough to accept the fact that the act is illegal.

If a tree falls in a forest..  ;D

Anyways, doesn't account for Sirius blocking internet subscriptions overseas.

onan

Quote from: Ipokesmot on September 15, 2013, 05:07:02 AM
If a tree falls in a forest..  ;D

Anyways, doesn't account for Sirius blocking internet subscriptions overseas.

OK, what would? Does pissing off other countries make more sense than international restrictions? I don't know what the reasoning was for blocking the signal. I am pretty sure pissing someone off wasn't it.

Ipokesmot

Quote from: onan on September 15, 2013, 05:14:40 AM
OK, what would? Does pissing off other countries make more sense than international restrictions? I don't know what the reasoning was for blocking the signal. I am pretty sure pissing someone off wasn't it.

I suppose I should repent for recording tapes of my records for my walkman in the 80's.  ::) 

elbee

Human hypocrisy never ceases to amaze me.

What would be your stance if you lived in the UK?

I am under no illusion that you have an investment in man made legalities. I however don't give a damn for copyright on audio waves. No harm and no loss. Victimless.

onan

Quote from: Ipokesmot on September 15, 2013, 05:19:42 AM
I suppose I should repent for recording tapes of my records for my walkman in the 80's.  ::)

Don't be petulant. You seem to be unable or unwilling to consider you may be in the wrong. Sorry but as humans we all are, almost everyday. I am not segregating you into the worst person ever.

Some laws were written to forestall large infractions that would cost the company huge losses. That doesn't make them bad. The law wasn't written to stop you from taking your 45 and placing the music on a cassette. It was meant to stop someone from taking a 45 and placing the music on 10,000 cassettes.

But a law can't equivocate. And you are old enough to be able to put that together.

Renaldo

Quote from: onan on September 15, 2013, 04:51:29 AM

I don't think anyone really cares what Scottydawg is saying, I think people probably don't like the way Scottydawg is saying it. That's a not so fine line, something I'm surprised you don't get. It's one thing to say, "Hey, this is wrong, it's stealing, you shouldn't do it. There's a lot of different options you can use to make this work legally, you don't need to do this." It's another thing to say it like an insulting prick.

And really, nice statement yourself about the abundance of lazy thinking with some posters here. What a sweepingly broad, general statement. That's such a general statement I'm got to take it to mean me as well. Onan, I like reading your intelligent, thoughtful posts, but go fuck yourself on this. You do not get to judge mine, or anyone else's thought process or motivation. I don't care what you do or who you are off the board. That statement and the attitude behind it makes you a holier than thou fuck.

Scottydawg, maybe be less editorial and take the actions of others less personally. You have a good point, but when you put it like that, it also makes you a holier than thou fuck.

Personally, I'm paying for Sirius. Will it be nice to have a backup stream if I'm not around a headset to listen to it? You bet, especially if it reruns constantly and I can listen any time. So, before either of you start making accusations or applying false labels to people, go fuck yourselves.

SaucyRossy

Listen

I am all for everyone paying their fair share and doing this legally.
HOWEVER
For the people who have absolutely NO options or ways of being able to listen to Dark Matter, I do not blame them one bit for trying to find a way to listen.

To paraphrase Jurassic park, life finds a way.
Well, same can be said for hardcored Bell fans, they find a way.

scottydawg

Well sorry if I sounded sanctimonious before but here's my background in it. My dad was a Radio and TV Broadcast engineer.
So I was lucky enough as a yungin to meet some of the performers in the industry and see how hard they work, and heard how they got screwed over by their labels and agents. On the upside we got new TV's and great radios to listen to at home because my dad got a discount. Later I worked for a company that provided services to Arenas and concert halls and PAC's. The show you see or hear is a tiny part of the time that the singers, actors and musicians get ready for, I've sat thru endless hours of rehearsals and sound checks. Heard sad stories of missing spouses and kids at home. And seen the transformation of a tired old person turn into an amazing star just before going on stage. I've also see electricians perform miracles keeping a modern sound system going in a building that was wired when Houdini was a traveling magician. It all boils down to this, even a XMSirius radio show costs money. Not just powering Art's studio, but microwave towers that do terrestrial rebroadcast in bigger cities since big buildings block the signal. Plus SiriusXM mission control, don't laugh there is a small but dedicated crew that monitors the health of the satellites 24/7 365. Plus a Director of Operations and staff that monitors all the incoming feed for over 200 stations that get beamed up to the satellites. And a little know sideband for XMtv that is available for in car entertainment.
Lots of peoples :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) to pay, lots of equipment to keep up and running. So don't begrudge having to shell out a few Shekels for a pretty cool entertainment device ;D. And don't be a PUTZ and pinch the show! :-\

onan

Quote from: Renaldo on September 15, 2013, 09:35:21 AM
I don't think anyone really cares what Scottydawg is saying, I think people probably don't like the way Scottydawg is saying it. That's a not so fine line, something I'm surprised you don't get. It's one thing to say, "Hey, this is wrong, it's stealing, you shouldn't do it. There's a lot of different options you can use to make this work legally, you don't need to do this." It's another thing to say it like an insulting prick.

And really, nice statement yourself about the abundance of lazy thinking with some posters here. What a sweepingly broad, general statement. That's such a general statement I'm got to take it to mean me as well. Onan, I like reading your intelligent, thoughtful posts, but go fuck yourself on this. You do not get to judge mine, or anyone else's thought process or motivation. I don't care what you do or who you are off the board. That statement and the attitude behind it makes you a holier than thou fuck.

Scottydawg, maybe be less editorial and take the actions of others less personally. You have a good point, but when you put it like that, it also makes you a holier than thou fuck.

Personally, I'm paying for Sirius. Will it be nice to have a backup stream if I'm not around a headset to listen to it? You bet, especially if it reruns constantly and I can listen any time. So, before either of you start making accusations or applying false labels to people, go fuck yourselves.

My nephew ran a stop sign one day. He was stopped by a police officer. When my nephew explained he did slow down, the officer asked him to stick his head out the window.When he stuck his head out of the window, the officer started tapping my nephew's head with a pen. The officer then asked if my nephew wanted the tapping to stop or just slow down?

What is the point? the law is the law. obviously you don't like it. So it is ok to not follow that law. OK I get that. I do. But being called on it isn't holier than thou. And I think you know that. Criticism is hardly ever a fun thing.

That you or anyone deflects honest criticism because you don't like being told no is dishonest. That is your choice. And not recognizing your lack of responsibility makes you lazy in your thought.

To be more honest than I want, I too have a stream. I am offering it to some that have expained their difficulty. What I didn't do was in any way take away from the purpose of this forum. That doesn't make me holier than thou, but it does keep me loyal to someone that has become a friend. To someone that has taken a great deal of time, energy and cash to provide something you and I both use.

So if you still consider me holier than thou that is your choice. I will also say, that for the most part I enjoy your posts. I doubt that will change. But if you are doing something wrong, well it is that simple. As I said earlier we all, at some time, do the wrong thing... and sometimes we do it a lot.

widespread1

I'll add to the tales of shoddy treatment and the ridiculous "jump through hoops" cancellation procedures:

I've had SiriusXM for my car for the past year. I called today to cancel, as I drive only a couple of thousand miles per year now, and wasn't getting to listen often. I knew my 1-year term was expiring soon, and I wanted to cancel before I was charged for another period. There's 1 week left on my subscription, and I was told that if I wanted to cancel today they would charge me $75 "cancellation fee." Or I could call again in 5 days, to cancel for free during the 3-day window leading up to my actual last day of service. Ridiculous.

My suggestion that they treat it as a non-renewal rather than a cancellation were met with the same "read the contract" responses as others have alluded to on this thread. When I asked why the cancellation was operated this way, I was told "lots of companies do this." In other words: "we can't think of a defensible explanation for abusing you this way, so instead we'll associate ourselves with other predatory companies who hope you can't hit the right window, and accidentally renew, and lack the tenacity to pursue a refund." Even my cable company treats me better than this.

There's no excuse in this computerized age for a company being unable to process a delayed cancellation, or refusing to change your account to a non-renewal status so that it will lapse automatically when your subscription is up. These guys have contempt for their customers, and hope to exploit the busy-ness of the average consumer to get unwanted renewals. Gangsters.

FYI, I persisted on the phone, escalated to the supervisor and got an instant cancellation with no fee. Whole process took almost 25 minutes. I'll never subscribe again.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Wow, where do I start?

Signing up for Sirius is fast and easy but trying to cancel? Well - that's a different ballgame all together.

First of all, I think it's stupid in this day and age....that a service company will easily allow you to signup via the internet but the only way to cancel the service is to call in. Who has time to sit on hold these days???

I've been trying for days to connect with "Listener Care" @ SiriusXM. Everytime I call, I wait, wait and wait some more. This morning...I finally got through. I explained that I'm trying to cancel my service but all the guy wanted to do was sell me more stuff. I continued to explain that I'm not interested in buying anything, I just want to pull the plug on my service. He kept on about this great deal that he could make me...bla, bla, bla. After a while, I just hung up on this nut job. They should change the name of that department from "Listener Care" to "Rude obnoxious people who only want your money" department.

So if you're doing research and thinking about signing up for SiriusXM service, be forewarned. Their radio service is nice but their customers service is some of the worst that I've delt with. Signing up is easy but canceling will give you a headache. Don't take my word for it though...do some more research before you make a decision to go with these clowns. The evidence is out there and it ain't pretty!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
KING OF PRUSSIA, PENNSYLVANIA -- WARNING: IF YOU DO NOT RENEW, SIRIUS WILL TURN YOU OVER TO A COLLECTION AGENCY!!!

After prepaying $144 for one year of Sirius Satellite Radio, I decided not to renew my subscription. Sirius disconnected my service. Then the calls and letters from NCO Financial, Sirius' collection agency, started. I found out that Sirius had "automatically" renewed my subscription for a year without even notifying me and was now seeking payment in advance for a year's worth of service even though my service had been disconnected for months.

I began receiving one or more harassing calls from NCO Financial each day. I also received a letter from NCO Financial demanding $239! (I still don't know how they came up with that ridiculous figure).

I called NCO Financial and got their voice mail box. It was full the first time I called, so I couldn't even leave a message. The second time I called, I was able to leave my name and number. No one ever called me back.

I called Sirius and threatened to file a complaint with the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office. Sirius agreed to back off and expressly admitted that I did not owe the $239 that NCO Financial was seeking. Instead, Sirius now claimed that I owed $31 for the service provided between the subscription expiration and the disconnection date. In order to protect my good credit rating, I sent the $31 to NCO Financial and said goodbye to Sirius.

It's a shame that Sirius has so little faith in its product that the company feels it must resort to unethical business practices to bring in revenue. Just Google "Sirius" and "collection agency" and you will find the same complaint over and over again. I will never deal with Sirius again. You shouldn't either.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sirius is an unethical business like ATT is
I dont have sympathy for predatory company's like this. If they were an ethical business I would agree with you.

Foodlion

Personaly I cannot afford a subscription yet.
I'll leave out the finacial drama and keep it as that.

One day I'll have an XM account, but until then, I'm going find a way to listen to him somehow.

elbee

You just got your ass handed to you onan. Go ahead, answer my question. What would you do if you lived outside north America ? The vpn suggestions don't work. As you can't sign up without a usa postal address.

Go on, tell us, you would listen to the live stream! Then Then you would nit pick the board to find someone else's neck to bite on. You arrogant fuck!