• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

SiriusXM - Signup tips, tricks for saving $$$, how to, etc...

Started by shamrock, July 30, 2013, 09:15:41 AM

shamrock

I am thrilled that Art is returning to radio again, but unfortunately I can't afford $14.95 a month to listen to him. I then decided to call Sirius directly and ask about a cheaper "Internet only package" that would run approximately $8.00 /month. Got this idea after reading other posts regarding Sirius radio, where some people talked about calling them directly and negotiating with them.

Unfortunately for me, I couldn't strike up a deal, but then I took it upon myself to let the Sirius person know that I was inquiring about an internet deal only so that I could listen to Art Bell when he returns in September. I told him it might behoove Sirius to consider such an offer to attract all of the old Art Bell listeners to sign up. I told him that Art had such a hugh following and that people are thrilled that he is returning but that the cost of $14.95/month would not be affordable or feasable for a lot of Art's listeners.

So since the internet is such a powerful social influence and there is strength in numbers, I thought that perhaps if enough people called Sirius radio and made this suggestion it might just happen.  Just a thought.  Shamrock

b_dubb

not a terrible idea. thanks for posting

lava filling

I will do this! I am going to have to call soon about seeing if my current package includes internet streaming. 

Usagi

There has been a number of tips, tricks, and info about the use and subscription options for Sirius/XM scattered throughout the Art Bell thread, but I was hoping that maybe we could pool the info somewhere since a lot of us are now considering signing up.

My sole experience with satellite radio is that my mother-in-law has it in her car and listens to some crappy "Coffee Cafe" station or something another.  That's it.  Otherwise, it's a complete mystery to me.

Perhaps people can share tips on whether it's worth it to get a receiver and what the options are, how to choose a subscription and get the best rates, other questions I don't know to ask yet, etc.

lava filling

i'm starting to feel like an unpaid shill for sirius, but i'm pretty damn excited about art's return and i just so happen to already have a sub, so...

8)

one thing you can do (if it's comfortable) is ask your MIL if she has the ability to listen online.  if she does, log in with her account.  boom, money saved.  if she doesn't, ask if she wouldn't mind paying an additional few dollars on her bill and giving you the ability to use her account to listen online.

or you can buy yourself an internet-only sub, if you don't want to go the receiver route.  hope this helps.   

HorrorRetro

Here is their page regarding listening online and the various apps available:  http://www.siriusxm.com/internetradio

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: lava filling on July 30, 2013, 11:47:20 AM
...ask if she wouldn't mind paying an additional few dollars on her bill and giving you the ability to use her account to listen online.

that's what i did.  my dad already has an account, so i asked him to add an online subscription for my use, which i will pay him for.  came out to $63 for three years, or approximately $1.85 per month.  that's nothing.  i don't know why so many people are freaking out.  there are a number of ways to make this happen without paying $15 per month. 

also, frankly, i'd rather not have to use a conventional radio to hear art's show.  i'm glad it's on satellite.  i won't have to hear horrible local commercials, audio quality will be better, there's a dedicated app for listening through my phone on the go, there's other content on siriusXM i'd like to hear, art bell will have complete creative freedom, and there will be no signal issues.

lava filling

Quote from: MV on July 30, 2013, 11:52:24 AM
that's what i did.  my dad already has an account, so i asked him to add an online subscription for my use, which i will pay him for.  came out to $63 for three years, or approximately $1.85 per month.  that's nothing.  i don't know why so many people are freaking out.  there are a number of ways to make this happen without paying $15 per month. 

also, frankly, i'd rather not have to use a conventional radio to hear art's show.  i'm glad it's on satellite.  i won't have to hear horrible local commercials, audio quality will be better, there's a dedicated app for listening through my phone on the go, there's other content on siriusXM i'd like to hear, art bell will have complete creative freedom, and there will be no signal issues.

63 for three years is not bad at all!  i'm also quite excited for all the reasons you listed, as well. 

Grov505th

I have a Sirius subscription for the truck (came with the radio built in).
After hearing about Art, I had the wife call and add the internet subscription. We had already renewed for the year, so they gave a 2 dollar refund.
I am actually using it right now to listen to NHL radio...

Morgus

It appears the really low special deals are only offered to existing subscribers when they call to cancel or change their subscription, but not to new subscribers?
Though on the internet there are special coupon codes like for a new subscription for 6 months at $25, maybe after the 6 months call to cancel unless they give you another lower price deal?

Max_TO

I am sure that I am not the only new person to join the SAT radio world ( wonder why ) and I was wondering , what are some worth while shows on SXM to hold me over until Sept. 16 ?

mouselover

How and what do I have to do to get Sirius xm radio service? I'm an old person that loves Art. His new program is all I want to listen to on Sirius.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Max_TO on July 30, 2013, 05:50:13 PM
I am sure that I am not the only new person to join the SAT radio world ( wonder why ) and I was wondering , what are some worth while shows on SXM to hold me over until Sept. 16 ?

Opie and Anthony.

jazmunda

If you are a Pearl Jam fan they have their own station that plays Pearl Jam 24/7. If they had Sirius when I was living in the US in the 90s this is all I would be listening to. I would have only switched over to terrestrial radio for Art.

Usagi

Apparently I called them too late to talk to an actual person, so maybe you guys know some of the answers to these questions:

- With the internet service, can I only have it active on a certain number of devices/computers?

- Is there any compelling reason why someone might choose one of their portable radios, like the Lynx, rather than just using the app and my phone?

I'm hoping there's decent other stuff on there, too.  Howard Stern and Martha Stewart ain't going to cut it.  I should play around on their site.  It's still worth it for me if it were all just Art and dead air, but I might as well get the most out of the service.

I don't think borrowing the MIL's account is going to work.  My husband has an irrational fear that the SXM "man" will come down on her if they notice that the car and internet services are being used in two different states.

onan

Quote from: Usagi on July 30, 2013, 11:28:23 PM
Apparently I called them too late to talk to an actual person, so maybe you guys know some of the answers to these questions:

- With the internet service, can I only have it active on a certain number of devices/computers?

- Is there any compelling reason why someone might choose one of their portable radios, like the Lynx, rather than just using the app and my phone?

I had it running on all three computers at home.

Your second question, if I understand it... nope, no reason. Certainly the battery life on the radio is going to kick your phone's ass.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on July 30, 2013, 11:52:24 AM
came out to $63 for three years, or approximately $1.85 per month.  that's nothing. 

But when you reduce it down to 6 cents a day...then the gravity hits, dude. I don't have a penny tree in my yard!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 31, 2013, 02:06:52 AM
I don't have a penny tree in my yard!

then you're lucky.  they're a bitch when you have to mow the lawn.

awguy

Question: My brother in law has Sirus, If I buy a receiver, could I link into his account?

In other words, can you have multiple radios on one account? I'll pay the difference if there is an extra cost of course.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on July 31, 2013, 03:26:15 AM
then you're lucky.  they're a bitch when you have to mow the lawn.

But the potential for projectiles at neighbors sounds cool.

The General

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 31, 2013, 09:14:53 AM
      But the potential for projectiles at neighbors sounds cool.
I only listen to podcasts anymore for everything:
Savage, Rollye, Norm Macdonald, Adam Carolla, MV's Radio Trainwreck.
I really hope they will offer an iTunes podcast option.
I'd pay.

I don't want another damn 'device' to handle content, and I want to be able to pause and resume.

shamrock

I just got off the phone with Dish Tv after I realized I have Sirius radio with my Dish package. The dish rep told me he is putting in a request for the Indi Talk Channel 104, which I told him has a launch date of September 16th. According to him, this channel can be included in my existing package at no extra charge. Now all I have to do is connect it to a wirless speaker and I can listen to Art again in my bedroom. Just another food for thought for anybody who has the dish. Shamrock ;)

Morgus

I found this site with lots of posts from folks who called to cancel to get lower priced offers to renew, 6month or 1 year special price deals on Sirius/XM, it varies with the phone rep apparently, after to do everytime your deal expires to try to get another one.
So its a hassle - best to get the longest deal you can like 1 year at a low price so you don't have to call very often before the price goes up to the full price.

http://www.spoofee.com/deals-Existing_Customers_How_to_get_50_off_Sirius_XM_Radio-732226.htm#.UfmhHG2wWxo

Disheartened

I subscribed to XM Radio Canada internet only. After taxes it cost me a little over a hundred dollars for a year's subscription.

Art will be on INDIE, channel 104 and internet only has it. As a matter of fact the channel is already advertising Art's new show.

Worth the price to hear the Master.

Usagi

I finally say to myself, "okay, enough hemming and hawing and just sign up already," and what happens?  Their subscription page has been down for maintenance for an hour and won't let me sign up.

Bums!

Usagi

Make that several hours that it's been down now.  Did l33t h4x0r Tommy strike or something?  :o

Morgus

Quote from: Usagi on July 31, 2013, 10:59:43 PM
I finally say to myself, "okay, enough hemming and hawing and just sign up already," and what happens?  Their subscription page has been down for maintenance for an hour and won't let me sign up.

Bums!
it would be best to wait to sign up until mid Sept and start with the 30 day free trial.
then you could evaluate if it works for you with Art's first shows and then you can decide if you wish to continue before the free 30days are up.
then you could call them and first say you want to cancel since the regular price is too high and they should offer you lower price deals.

BobGrau

So am I right in thinking we in the uk can't subscribe to Sirius even if we wanted to pay for it?
Damn.

\consciencecleared