• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

ubuntu vs windows ?

Started by SR-71, July 26, 2013, 07:25:32 PM

SR-71

Who uses Ubuntu? What are the pros and cons? I really do not like Windows stuff. For me Windows is like the Borg from Star Trek aka EVIL. Im think of using Ubuntu on my computer (desktop and laptop).

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: SR-71 on July 26, 2013, 07:25:32 PM
Who uses Ubuntu? What are the pros and cons? I really do not like Windows stuff. For me Windows is like the Borg from Star Trek aka EVIL. Im think of using Ubuntu on my computer (desktop and laptop).

Try OpenSuse. I'm finding it runs much faster on my machines than Ubuntu. Ubuntu is bloated and slow.

The computer I am on now is using opensuse.
I think its ok. It hates SQL developer and sound cards.

I am sorry, I do use Ubuntu sometimes.
Ubuntu
Pro: Seems to recognize most devices like graphics and sound cards. Installing new software (package installation) is fairly easy.
Cons: Annoying advertisements.

I like gnome better than kde --fwiw.

elbee

Im done with Linux. Ubuntu is a fucking horrible mess! Just installed on my new build (that I am typing on) 13.04

Flash player, not working. In Firefox or Chromium.

Apart from the annoying "system error" warnings that are constantly popping up, the incredibly slow response from the system UI, all which I could live with if THE SOUND JUST FUCKING WORKED!!!

OH MY GOD!!!!

SOUND DOESNT WORK IN 13.04 OR 13.10 WITH HDMI!!!! AND ITS BEEN A KNOWN BUG SINCE JANUARY!!!!

Back to windows 7 for me! Or should I get a pirated copy of 8?

onan

Quote from: El Bee on July 27, 2013, 08:23:14 AM
Im done with Linux. Ubuntu is a fucking horrible mess! Just installed on my new build (that I am typing on) 13.04

Flash player, not working. In Firefox or Chromium.

Apart from the annoying "system error" warnings that are constantly popping up, the incredibly slow response from the system UI, all which I could live with if THE SOUND JUST FUCKING WORKED!!!

OH MY GOD!!!!

SOUND DOESNT WORK IN 13.04 OR 13.10 WITH HDMI!!!! AND ITS BEEN A KNOWN BUG SINCE JANUARY!!!!

Back to windows 7 for me! Or should I get a pirated copy of 8?

You obviously know a bit more than me about operating systems... but for the love of god stay away from 8.

elbee

Well, I have heard it performs better than Se7en. But I'm not sure it will really, I mean, even if you install the start replacement thing, its still not nice and aero like 7 - and the services for metro must still be running in the background.

MV any comments?

And if your doing a show tonight Ill call in, since its weekend!

Give Mint a look as well.

Also, a good way to check out a lot of operating systems quickly is to use virtual machines on your system.  Too much to go into here, but you might check out the free software for this purpose called VirtualBox. 

I recently bought a new Toshiba laptop with 8 on it . I can't stand 8. Too much crap seems to be for a touch screen. Had to avoid getting the curser anywhere near the metro crap.
I bought a copy of 7 and installed it. Now it seems that none of the Ethernet port, usb ports operating software seem to be there at all. Even had an ATT tech guide me through getting online and he determined that nothing is on the computer that allows the Ethernet nor the usb ports to be recognized.
I have a couple Mandrake Linux power packs here (8.2 and 10.0) but I can't get them to load.. I would like the Toshiba to work.
I have another (W7 Asus) Laptop. I have one of those transfer cables . I am also supposing that the Mandrake may be too old for a 2013 model computer as I bought those about 2003-6 and ran them on a Athlon thoroughbred 'puter  I build way back when.
I have been thinking of  Mint, Ubuntu, Suse or Fedora. Mandrake was nice(Now Mandriva) but they have done no Power Pack since 2011 and don't support 2011 anymore.
I have used the Mandrake, RedHat 9 before some class I took drove me to WXP .

Juan

Anybody have experience with PC-BSD - a version of BSD Unix?

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Unquenchable Angst on July 28, 2013, 01:27:36 PM
I recently bought a new Toshiba laptop with 8 on it . I can't stand 8. Too much crap seems to be for a touch screen. Had to avoid getting the curser anywhere near the metro crap.
I bought a copy of 7 and installed it. Now it seems that none of the Ethernet port, usb ports operating software seem to be there at all. Even had an ATT tech guide me through getting online and he determined that nothing is on the computer that allows the Ethernet nor the usb ports to be recognized.
I have a couple Mandrake Linux power packs here (8.2 and 10.0) but I can't get them to load.. I would like the Toshiba to work.
I have another (W7 Asus) Laptop. I have one of those transfer cables . I am also supposing that the Mandrake may be too old for a 2013 model computer as I bought those about 2003-6 and ran them on a Athlon thoroughbred 'puter  I build way back when.
I have been thinking of  Mint, Ubuntu, Suse or Fedora. Mandrake was nice(Now Mandriva) but they have done no Power Pack since 2011 and don't support 2011 anymore.
I have used the Mandrake, RedHat 9 before some class I took drove me to WXP .

Jesus Microsoft screwed up.

onan

I have 8 on one of my computers. I use Iobit start menu 8. I have the initial feel of win7, and xp. but saving files and finding files is a pain. God help me if an application starts, instead of WMP I get that fucking metro sound player. And I can't change the default. I fucking hate 8. And when I replace any of my boxes it will be another OS, most likely apple. Unless you guys have any advice.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: onan on July 28, 2013, 02:30:27 PM
I have 8 on one of my computers. I use Iobit start menu 8. I have the initial feel of win7, and xp. but saving files and finding files is a pain. God help me if an application starts, instead of WMP I get that fucking metro sound player. And I can't change the default. I fucking hate 8. And when I replace any of my boxes it will be another OS, most likely apple. Unless you guys have any advice.

Have you tried "Default Programs" in Search?  Select "Set Your Default Programs"; then select "Windows Media Player" - if that is what you want to replace the metro garbage.

onan

Quote from: Marc knight on July 28, 2013, 02:39:17 PM

Have you tried "Default Programs" in Search?  Select "Set Your Default Programs"; then select "Windows Media Player" - if that is what you want to replace the metro garbage.
yes I have tried that. for some reason I can't select WMP... I hate 8. I appreciate the help though.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: onan on July 28, 2013, 02:55:00 PM
yes I have tried that. for some reason I can't select WMP... I hate 8. I appreciate the help though.

If WMP has not been used yet, it will not show up in the default program selection.  Search for it, start it up, close it down, then check the default list again.