• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

what changes would you make to coast to make it as good as it can be?

Started by tweet75, July 14, 2013, 09:01:02 PM

Eddie Coyle

Gardening/Dining tips exclusively about Korean "night soil"

Hmmm, let's try a host with the following characteristics:

*Enthusiastic
*Curious
*Educated
*Scientifically literate
*Accountable
*Investigative
*Understands how to research
*Above average intelligence
*Follows current events
*Well read in areas such as conventional science, technology, politics, economics, extraterrestrial encounters, the paranormal
*Understands conventional wisdom as a counterpoint to conspiracy 'wisdom'
*Humble enough to ask what he does not know and strong enough to challenge what he does know to be wrong.
*Evaluates every question based on its relevance and interest before asking it

Oh yeah, and he should be able to both listen to and understand the guest.

ItsOver

Turn the show into an infomercial where Jorch shills for "Old Oily" mustache wax and "Vibrant Squirrel" toupee care products.  At least it would serve a useful purpose.

YNOT

Ehhh.

1. Fire Noory
2. Fire Wells
3. Ban LMH.
4. Hire anyone other than Noory and Wells to host.
5. Give the new host sole control of the show.
6. Move the show as far a way from radio executives as possible
7. Bring back unscreened phone calls.
8. Limit the number of times new age medicine and "evil" government shows were broadcast.
9. Cut back on some of the commercial time.

I think we all know the answer to that question, and since that will never actually happen, there's NOTHING you can do about it. Coast is damaged beyond repair. It's gotten so bad that making fun of it isn't even fun anymore, which is why I find myself coming back here less and less now too. It's time to just put it out of it's misery and pull the plug once and for all. Of course that'll never happen either. I think it's best in this situation to just let the methane ridden stench of this garbage dump fire to burn itself out at some point or another. 

stevesh

Me, too. I come here mainly for the non-C2C forums. Noory isn't going anywhere, isn't going to get better, and he and Wells are the C2C hosts whether we like it or not.

moto-rama

Start by getting ride of the right wing political agenda. Art, Ian, Knapp all honored the coast tradition of being fair and not pushing an agenda for the right or left.
If we wanted to listen to right-wing hate radio, we tune in to Hate-itty, Beck and the other hateful little pricks that pollute the public airwaves. That is pretty much all that is on AM radio anymore, from Florida to Washington, hate-speech and lies. C2C used to be the one place you could avoid that crap. But I think Premiere radio is owned by the Koch Brothers or someone just as bad, so that's the program, all Hate and the time.
:o

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: moto-rama on August 11, 2013, 06:14:52 PM
Start by getting ride of the right wing political agenda. Art, Ian, Knapp all honored the coast tradition of being fair and not pushing an agenda for the right or left.
If we wanted to listen to right-wing hate radio, we tune in to Hate-itty, Beck and the other hateful little pricks that pollute the public airwaves. That is pretty much all that is on AM radio anymore, from Florida to Washington, hate-speech and lies. C2C used to be the one place you could avoid that crap. But I think Premiere radio is owned by the Koch Brothers or someone just as bad, so that's the program, all Hate and the time.

Indeed. Anybody to the right of Bill Clinton is a fascist. We should bring back Air America and censor the talk shows that people like because we know what's best for the unwashed masses. If I had my way, these bigoted and dangerous reactionaries would be forced to watch MSNBC 24/7.

awake

Quote from: moto-rama on August 11, 2013, 06:14:52 PM
I think it is hard to claim that Premiere's purchase of Art's show did anything to improve the quality of the broadcast.  Maybe removing it's influence would be a good first step.

Don't be put off far right cranks motorama.  You are actually in very good company; that crazy liberal, Bob Dole(Kansas), is on record decrying the direction that teabaggers have taken the grand old party.  The GOP has verifiably become far more conservative, and risks becoming a regional party rather than a national one.  Nucky's use of hyperbole notwithstanding the fact remains that much of radio is owned by a few powerful companies and those companies have conservative political views.  BTW, Koch's own premiere, Bain owns clear channel.  Why pointing this out causes such vitriol is perplexing but it is a consistent response. 

yumyumtree

Well, I'm a conservative, as you probably know. Any radio programming that can support itself is OK with me. I'm not one of those that's all exorcised about getting rid of government funding for NPR, either, because I think that things like that take up a tiny amount of the budget. Though as a matter of principle, I appreciate their point. I definitely don't want the fairness doctrine to come back.

As far as what can be done for the show, that's an interesting question because on this forum while I was lurking, I used to notice that people hated so many guests and topics that I began to wonder what they thought SHOULD be on.
Some of my ideas are on the 12-step thread. There has to be a host out there who is a good fit for this show.
One sort of show I like is true crime, mysteries and and secret and lost histories. This is one thing I miss about Ian. He did a lot of these. Some of the people were cranks, of course, like the guy who claims he's the Lindbergh baby. But some were good enough to keep me up til 2 even when I had to be up the next day. Remember the one about the conscientious objectors during WW II who participated in a hunger experiment?

Tinfoil Hat

At this point, all they can do at C2C is turn out the lights once and for all.

Art's back!!!!

Sardondi

Quote from: Tinfoil Hat on September 17, 2013, 11:19:18 PMAt this point, all they can do at C2C is turn out the lights once and for all.

Art's back!!!!
This. In evolutionary terms, it is 65 million years ago, and C2C is a plodding triceratops, and Dark Matter is this quick, little amphibian thingie. Meaning, suddenly C2C has absolutely no reason to exist.

karios8

Quote from: Sardondi on September 17, 2013, 11:28:34 PM
This. In evolutionary terms, it is 65 million years ago, and C2C is a plodding triceratops, and Dark Matter is this quick, little amphibian thingie. Meaning, suddenly C2C has absolutely no reason to exist.

Perfect analysis

onan

If this question had been seriously considered when Dave first showed his no-talent ass it may have been worthwhile.

Now c2c is an old horse that is suffering. The only humane thing to do is put it out of it's misery.

Sardondi

Quote from: onan on September 17, 2013, 11:49:53 PMIf this question had been seriously considered when Dave first showed his no-talent ass it may have been worthwhile.

Now c2c is an old horse that is suffering. The only humane thing to do is put it out of it's misery.
"Daddy, where is Old Paint? I can't find him in the barn or anywhere."
"Well, Timmy, Old Paint was getting pretty old, and he was hurting. So I took him to to a horsey ranch out in the country."
"Daddy, we're out in the country."
"Well, Timmy, I took Old Paint where he could run and  play with the other horsies."
"Daddy, then why did I see you shoot Old Paint in the head and then call the dogfood truck to come get him?"
"Timmy, shut the fuck up."

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: onan on September 17, 2013, 11:49:53 PM
If this question had been seriously considered when Dave first showed his no-talent ass it may have been worthwhile.

Art put us out of *our* misery. Okay, it's time to stop kicking glue.

onan

Quote from: Sardondi on September 18, 2013, 12:05:36 AM
"Daddy, where is Old Paint? I can't find him in the barn or anywhere."
"Well, Timmy, Old Paint was getting pretty old, and he was hurting. So I took him to to a horsey ranch out in the country."
"Daddy, we're out in the country."
"Well, Timmy, I took Old Paint where he could run and  play with the other horsies."
"Daddy, then why did I see you shoot Old Paint in the head and then call the dogfood truck to come get him?"
"Timmy, shut the fuck up."

<director's cut>

Timmy... would you like more horse stew?

Sardondi

Quote from: onan on September 18, 2013, 12:08:52 AM
<director's cut>
Timmy... would you like more horse stew?
DOH! Dang! The studio brings in a script fixer and he knocks it out of the park first thing!

And, oh yeah, I was still in "R-rated" mode from this SiriusXM satellite radio site I found....

onan

Quote from: Sardondi on September 18, 2013, 12:12:29 AM
DOH! Dang! The studio brings in a script fixer and he knocks it out of the park first thing!

And, oh yeah, I was still in "R-rated" mode from this SiriusXM satellite radio site I found....

We have a sequel... horse vaginas

DanTSX

Tommy could put the pizza down

George could put the bottle down

and both of them could pick up a copy of the want ads.  Look!  Tent Erectors Needed!  $12/hr, must have transportation.

conbrio

I actually agree with nooryisawesome, except for #9 I would say cut back 50%
#10 Hand over the show to George Knapp.

Sardondi

The Jeremy Meador show told me that Art needs considerably more help from his producer. I don't know a thing about Paul Bowman. I'm sure he's a great guy. But an experienced producer should have easily sniffed out long before showtime that that kid last night was not ready to handle his end of a national radio interview. I think Art needs more help in the booth and/or behind the scenes. And the money to hire that extra help might have to come out of Art's pocket.

On a related issue, is Art really being paid only $75,000 to do this show?* Perhaps the ad revenue is huge, but it surely doesn't sound like it with ads for Earl's Shade-tree School of Truck Driving or whatever the hell that monstrosity was I heard last night. Oh, man, it's enough to make you long for the days of the high-class MRE ads, and the precious metals scams. Let's be honest: the production values of the show, at least to this point, do not make it sound like a first-rate outfit. It sounds, well, cheap. I think Art needs more help in lining up and squaring-away the guests.

* Well, plus 50% of ad "profits" but surely by this time Art knows enough about the chicanery of broadcasting companies and how they do contract writing that he has protected himself on that iffy "profits" thing.

I always wondered why the biggest of entertainment industry dogs, such as a Spielberg or Peter Jackson, don't demand their percentage deals to come "off the top", as in, say, "3% of gross revenues", period, instead of "20% of net profits". Maybe they do, I don't know, but it would certainly be one way to destroy the studios' ability to fudge the numbers. Hell, the studios can put on accounting experts to testify at a trial for breach of contract who could make it sound like Star Wars still hasn't made a profit, much less something much newer with an uncertain boxoffice power. But it seems to me the only way to pin the studio down is for a director/producer to take much less percentage, but take it off the top, with no deductions at all. Maybe people do that already.

LW

Knapp is the only interesting host there, he seems to keep the tradition of Coast and explores areas that Coast fans want.

It seems the show has become political and is like dozens of other talks shows only less informative.

Even when Norrey has an interesting guest on he is incapable of exploring the subject just leaves the listener frustrated. How he was a reporter I will never know.

Coast is legendary but is doomed because of executives and poor decisions on hosts, I don't listen anymore unless Knapp is on, If he would keep to the fringe topics and stay away from the mundane I would like to see Knapp on full time.

Since that won't happen and now that Art is back, coast is finished.

DanTSX

Quote from: LW on September 25, 2013, 07:15:58 AM
Knapp is the only interesting host there, he seems to keep the tradition of Coast and explores areas that Coast fans want.

It seems the show has become political and is like dozens of other talks shows only less informative.

Even when Norrey has an interesting guest on he is incapable of exploring the subject just leaves the listener frustrated. How he was a reporter I will never know.

Coast is legendary but is doomed because of executives and poor decisions on hosts, I don't listen anymore unless Knapp is on, If he would keep to the fringe topics and stay away from the mundane I would like to see Knapp on full time.

Since that won't happen and now that Art is back, coast is finished.

Coast isn't going anywhere.

It will just continue to devolve to a lowest common denominator audience.  Cat ladies, lonely women, lottery ticket scratchers, third shift cops, drunks, etc, etc, etc.

Expect EVEN MORE numbers ladies, white light, new age bullshit.  More EVP's, horse whisperers, maybe even a return of Sylvia Brown (count on that).  UFOs will be gone as a topic as they are masculine unless the aliens are really angels in the story line.  Expect mediums for talking to dead pets.  Bigfoot will only exist as a character in the next installment of 50 shades of grey or The Secret.   Before you know it, Jorch will be doing light cooking segments.  It was no accident he was on the view.  He is taking notes and channelling the yenta couch right into the studio.

Wintermute

I'm not sure "Coast To Coast" should even be carried over to another format. There are still plenty of fans, but Norry and Co are long in the tooth.

I really enjoyed the C2C Live w/ Ian Punnett format. It was a good show.

Here is where Art Bell and Norry Co. fall short: new, fresh topics!

It's the same sh!t all the time. A mix of borderline crack-pots and legit people being lobbed grapefruit questions.

Here is what I want to see:

1. Small news segment that has no politics.
2. Expand into technology topics.
3. Cut off the crackpots! Some of these people just kill me.
4. No more shilling gold, extenze, and other  such nonsense.
5. 3hr format instead of 4hrs.
6. Weekly review session with a co-host.
7. No Sunday nights.
6. Friday nights should be reserved for something big.