• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Google Thought Police

Started by jazmunda, July 11, 2013, 07:05:53 PM

jazmunda

I just had 2 very spooky Google Ad experiences. I was thinking about taking my family on a beach vacation at Christmas time and then I visited a site that has Google Ads embedded like on this site and the first ad to great me was from airline soliciting me to buy cheap flights to the Gold Coast (in Australia).

A few minutes later I came onto this site and was browsing whilst thinking that I need to get a roofing guy in to take a look at the roof leak we have had at the office and what do you know but an add for a Roofing contractor came up on this site.

Now before you say that some of these ads are interest based and take my browsing habits into account, I have not ever looked up a roofing contractor on my computer nor have I searched or browsed sites looking for cheap airfares.

Am I being paranoid or is google employing mind control onto an unsuspecting population?

I guess not as I have never seen any ads on here for naked pictures of celebrities. ;)

HorrorRetro

I have had several similar experiences recently that left me wondering.  I bought some items at the store and paid with my debit card.  Came online only to find ads for those exact items.  Like you, I had not researched these items online, yet here were very specific ads for what I had just bought an hour earlier.   ???

onan

metadata mining is fuckin scary.

Yorkshire pud

If you want rid of the pre cognitive ads download this>.>http://www.ghostery.com/download

You can customise it too, but it's mainly intuitive..you'll be amazed at what it catches...and it speeds the browsing up too, significantly.