• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dave Schrader

Started by NowhereInTime, March 16, 2013, 06:20:57 PM

onan

Quote from: Scully on October 26, 2013, 01:13:12 AM
Onan, I'm slow getting his website up.  It's http://www.darknessradio.com/

I agree that Premier is the problem.  That's why I'm shocked they're giving this guy even one night.  Did John B. Welles die or something?

I'm thinking in terms of the potential for Art to grab him as a fill-in and/or weekend host for Dark Matter.

Do you think that would work? I would bet Schrader has been contractually obligated to stay away from Art.

I dunno, if I were Schrader I would probably jump at the chance for national exposure. But what he had to sign to get that gig... well it is anyone's guess. I am betting the contract is pretty limiting.

Scully

This is the first time I've known of Shrader being on Coast, although someone on here (I think) said this was his second appearance.  What if he has no continuing contract with Premiere ... that he's just sort of "trying out" as a fill-in person?

Just thinking out loud here.  Obviously if Premiere has him all tied up, it's a no-go.  Guess I should really send off something to Paul Bowman, in case he and Art are thinking  along these lines.

Anyone else with radio experience want to offer to play producer here?  I personally know Nothing. 

Scully

I'm listening to Dave Schrader tonight on Coast, and he's very good!  I googled his name on Bellgab's Search feature earlier and came up with nada, so I started a thread asking for other's opinions about him. 

THEN, of course, I found this thread.  Sorry, MV.  Combine them if you want to, but I'm posting this so the naysayers above will check this guy out.  I'd love to hear him as a weekend (or just fill-in) host for Art. 

WOTR

Well, he's no Art, but he seems to listen and be engaged.  I do not know if he is an egotistical jackass as claimed above, but he does not come across as such (or perhaps when using Wells for comparison everybody comes across as not having an ego...)  He has a good vocabulary, there are not 5 minutes of dead air while he composes his next thought, he does not sound like he reads off of a 3X5 and the conversation seems to have some "flow."  It is a little early to say he is "great", but he appears to be at least "good".

Nighthawk

Quote from: onan on October 26, 2013, 01:09:11 AM
I am glad you like this guy Shrader. If he has a show elsewhere, I might listen. I won't give Premiere any of my time. As much as I blame noory, the real reason c2c is such a shit hole is because of the management.

Nothing from me.

You are an a good man Onan. Fuck premiere.

Dave should sign up with Art.  He has done an outstanding job tonight with the Amityville kid, Christopher.  Absolutely riveting show. 

Quote from: Étouffée on October 26, 2013, 02:47:07 AM
Dave should sign up with Art.  He has done an outstanding job tonight with the Amityville kid, Christopher.  Absolutely riveting show.

I'm not so sure about this Schrader guy. He  hitched his wagon pretty tightly to those frauds over on SyFy, ''Ghost Hunters''.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 26, 2013, 03:03:48 AM
I'm not so sure about this Schrader guy. He  hitched his wagon pretty tightly to those frauds over on SyFy, ''Ghost Hunters''.
[/quot

I don't watch tv, FTF, I can only judge by what I heard between my ears...and I thought DS did an exemplary job.  Kept me up until 2 am!

stevesh

Quote from: Scully on October 26, 2013, 02:03:34 AM
This is the first time I've known of Shrader being on Coast, although someone on here (I think) said this was his second appearance.

Looking at the C2C website, it doesn't look like Schrader has hosted before, but he has been a guest three times.

Quote from: Scully on October 26, 2013, 02:03:34 AM
This is the first time I've known of Shrader being on Coast, although someone on here (I think) said this was his second appearance.  What if he has no continuing contract with Premiere ... that he's just sort of "trying out" as a fill-in person?

I seem to remember him hosting once and being quiet. I think he sat in the studio with Ian during one of Ian's last shows and observed as well.

I caught 40 or so minutes of the show and it was a big improvement from GN and Wells. I hope Dave is on C2C more often.

Juan

I caught the last hour and thought Schrader did too much explaining in the first question - then I heard Lutz ramble through an answer and understood why Schrader tried so hard to direct him.  What I heard was an improvement over sNoory and Wells.

ItsOver

I didn't catch the show last night.  Is Schrader closing-up shop early, sneaking out, and playing UFO Phil, like the other Dave?  If not, that alone would be a nice improvement.

I'm just so glad Art's back.

Eddie Coyle

Only heard between 2-3am Eastern, but Schrader seemed pretty decent. Definite improvement over the usual fare.

bateman

http://youtu.be/tJsVI3Qt8ZU

Listening now. He's asking very solid questions.

MikeJ

Quote from: bateman on October 26, 2013, 11:15:16 AM
http://youtu.be/tJsVI3Qt8ZU

Listening now. He's asking very solid questions.

Thanks, this was a great show.

yumyumtree

I listened until 1:45. Christopher Lutz, or Christopher Quarentino, as he prefers to be called, isn't the guest he was when Ian( I'm pretty sure it was Ian) interviewed him a couple of years ago. I don't want to slander the man by speculating what may be the deal with him, but he just didnt sound as if he's hitting on all cylinders.
I've always thought that this Amityville hoax(if it is a hoax, and I tend to think it is) is insensitive to the DeFeo family. I don't mean Ronnie "Butch" DeFeo--he can rot in hell. I mean whatever cousins, neices, nephews, friends, neighbors, etc. that may have loved them. If somebody bought a piece of real estate associated with some horrible event in my family then spun a story like that to get publicity and money I don't think I'd like it. Hoaxers don't seem to think of stuff like that. George Lutz of course is dead now, but as near as I can tell, he kept milking Amityville for the rest if his life. Why not give it a rest and put it behind you?
Incidentally, the Warrens, who had investigated Amityville, got in a pretty vicious online insult match with another investigator who disagreed with them. I guess that people had a lot invested in this, literally and figuratively, and weren't going to let go easily. As I said, I tend to come down on the side of Amityville being a fake. I'm pretty much a skeptic when it comes to all those type of cases, though I won't rule it out. Coast to Coast seems to operate from the premise that nobody's ever been debunked beyond a doubt, though, and that goes for a variety of people not just those with paranormal claims.

ziznak

Checking out the amityville show tonight... always loved that haunting and some of the "activity" that was ... erm ... documented really creeps me out.

Scully

Glad some of the rest of you thought Schrader was a decent host also.  I know nothing of his former (or continuing) connections, but was just judging on his interviewing style.  I wouldn't care if he was fronting for the Mafia if he would either replace Jorch or assist Art and do as well as he did last night.  ;)

(Hope I don't sleep with the fishes for that one.)

Uncle Duke

Schrader was OK, but Chris Lutz was either high or playing the interview for all he could to pimp his book. 

FallenSeraph

Listened to this show around 2 a.m. today. I REALLY LIKED HIM. (In ALL CAPS, even!)

Lutz â€" at first I thought he was stoned or being forced to do the interview by his publicist (if he has one). He sounded not with it/into it at all. I felt bad for Dave because getting more than three words out of Lutz for an answer was like pulling teeth. During the next hour though, I started to feel like maybe Lutz is just really messed up with PTSD, etc. That interview was kind of fascinating. My jaw dropped when he said George Lutz was really into occult practices, summoning spirits, etc. Hell, he might be making it up, but at least it was something I had never heard before.

I only made it through two hours of that interview before I finally conked out. I still have to listen to the last hour with listener questions.

But yeah, I wish Art would bring Dave over to DM for weekend shows. The guy asked great questions and was totally engaged throughout the whole thing. Or hell, give him all the C2C weekday nights, give Noory Friday nights so we can drink heavily and laugh at open lines, and keep Wells and Knapp on the weekend.

Scully

Quote from: Seraphim27 on October 28, 2013, 12:09:28 PM
Listened to this show around 2 a.m. today. I REALLY LIKED HIM. (In ALL CAPS, even!)

... My jaw dropped when he said George Lutz was really into occult practices, summoning spirits, etc. Hell, he might be making it up, but at least it was something I had never heard before. ...

I think Schrader gets extra points for working with someone like Lutz, who was difficult to say the least.  If Noory had him on, it would have been a real mess.

I have heard before about George Lutz being into the occult.  Can't remember where, but it was no secret, so Kristopher didn't just make that up last night.  Who knows for sure?

yumyumtree

Christopher Lutz was on C to C probably about 2 years ago and they covered a lot of the same ground. I'm not 100% sure but I think Ian was the host. As I remember, Lutz, or Quarentino, as he prefers to be called, was more articulate and focused that night. I also recall that two or more Quarentino siblings were feuding, and the feud was related to Amityville. Always  sad when that happens, but maybe it's over now.

inkie

Dave can be a good host, and he was pretty good on coast to coast as a sub. However on his regular gig, Darkness Radio, he could do better. He has a tendency to run on and on with his questions, taking 5 to 10 min. to phrase his question, leaving the guest not much more to answer other than yes or no.  It drives me into fits of yelling at the radio, to the amusement of my better half.
I think he did pretty well with Quarentino as the night wore on, but you should bare in mind, they are friends, Dave has interviewed him multiple times, and they do conventions/panels together, so if anyone could get him to open up, it would be Dave, not because of his intervue skills, but because of familiarity.
Tim Dennis, Dave's producer, fills in for Dave from time to time, and he is a great interviewer, and I think the brains in the show :)

Scully

Thanks for the input, Inkie.  As I just posted in the wrong thread (GNS), I'm listening to Schrader tonight on Darkness Radio.  At first he was reading from books (or really long stories), but now he's gone to shorter stuff, and hope springs eternal ...

He's much, much better than anything else on, (I already listened to Somewhere in Time tonight.) but Art, he ain't.  Wish Tim Dennis would give it a run. 

I like Schrader on Darkness Radio. He's a good host.

I did not listen to the Chris Lutz Quarrentino episode, because quite frankly that kid annoys me. He always sounds stoned, gave Ian a hard time a few years ago, and I think a CoastGabber once mentioned he knew someone who knew him and he had pretty much admitted he would do whatever he could to make some money off the story.

weeberwubber

I haven't had time to listen to much since Art went off-again but I just listened to the 11/13 Darkness Radio and it was pretty entertaining.  Dave interviewed a guy and his 16 year old daughter who had a ghost investigation turn demonic and he ended up with some paranormal news in the last hour.  The whole program went by pretty fast.  I recommend it if you're jonesing for something.

Also on the download pages under "Other News" they linked to a page on the radio station site titled "Bootyful Babes" which had 40-some pictures of girls in positions in which one might believe they wished to be weebered.  That was nice.

Scully

Wonder if Schrader will rock tonight ...  ;)

Rock & The Paranormal
Fri 12-13
Filling in for George, guest host Dave Schrader (email), welcomes frontman for rock bands Slipknot and Stone Sour, Corey Taylor, who will discuss his brushes with the supernatural world including seeing ghosts up close and personal in an abandoned house in his native Iowa as a child as well as recording with Slipknot in the fabled "Houdini" Hollywood Hills mansion.

I can tell George would have gone to callers after 30 minutes of generic questions.
They changed all the times the breaks are at. That's one blessed thing about GN-the breaks are always at the same time. As soon as he goes to commercial, I can just do something else for 12 minutes. And come back, or not come back.

Getting tired of the "you-knows" from the guest.

Scully

I enjoyed Dave Schrader, and thought the guest did a pretty good job sharing his paranormal experiences, especially for someone who has a book out and probably didn't want to give away too many spoiler details.  As usual, a good spooky guest segment led to lots of callers with their own ghostly adventures.

Taylor's music was something else ... not for me, thanks.  And the commercials by Jorch were jarring on what I'd hoped would be a Noory-free night.

I'll be checking into "Darkness Radio," Schrader's 5 nights a week, 3 hour show, something I've been meaning to do anyway.

There may be hope after all.  Schrader was SUCH a relief from Johnny B.'s efforts.  8)