mainstream rock is dead

Started by abbajc, February 16, 2013, 12:23:21 PM

abbajc

how many rock fans feel that mainstream rock is dead
in the 90's it was nirvana and the  grunge era
after kurt killed himself it seemed like rock is dead
do think mainstream rock is dead

McPhallus

Mainstream culture itself is dying, I think.  There is no monolithic center anymore, be it music categories, radio outlets, tv shows, news outlets, whatever.  Everything's fragmented and will continue to get more so.  Is this good or bad?  Probably both.

onan

Quote from: McPhallus on February 16, 2013, 12:51:47 PM
Mainstream culture itself is dying, I think.  There is no monolithic center anymore, be it music categories, radio outlets, tv shows, news outlets, whatever.  Everything's fragmented and will continue to get more so.  Is this good or bad?  Probably both.
and it is Obama's fault.
rock has been dying since the beginning of punk. instead of being renegade it became vulgar. rap is just Madison avenue acting all thug life... its such crap

Beam - Black, neat.  Blues on crackly vinyl.
Yeah, that's a Satuday night for me....

Eddie Coyle

Mainstream anything tends to suck. No edge, no nuance. I prefer liking music that for the most part isn't widely accepted or accessible.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 16, 2013, 03:18:24 PM

Mainstream anything tends to suck. No edge, no nuance. I prefer liking music that for the most part isn't widely accepted or accessible.

What kind of stuff do you listen to?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Agent : Orange on February 16, 2013, 03:39:23 PM
What kind of stuff do you listen to?

Small sample size
      In the past 24 hours the cds I've listened to:
         Bill Bruford     "Feels Good To Me" 1977
         Gary Moore    "After Hours"    1992
         Chick Corea/Return to Forever    "Light As A Feather" 1972
         Bert Jansch    "Thirteen Down"  1980
         Man     "Back Into the Future' 1973
         Lou Reed  "Coney Island Baby" 1976
         Ken Hensley "Proud Words on a Dusty Shelf"  1973
         King Crimson  "Red"  1974

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 16, 2013, 03:47:25 PM

I'm going to make a Coastgab playlist.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Agent : Orange on February 16, 2013, 03:50:24 PM
I'm going to make a Coastgab playlist.
I'd like to know what others are listening to. I tend to think we're probably a bit eccentric and not predictable top 40 listeners.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 16, 2013, 03:56:16 PM
        I'd like to know what others are listening to. I tend to think we're probably a bit eccentric and not predictable top 40 listeners.

I like industrial, experimental and metal type stuff. I've branched out quite a bit in the last few years, and when I'm at work I've been listening lately to a lot of Beatles, The Who and The Doors.

BigDave

I listen to 60s-80s rock online.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Agent : Orange on February 16, 2013, 03:59:18 PM
I like industrial, experimental and metal type stuff. I've branched out quite a bit in the last few years, and when I'm at work I've been listening lately to a lot of Beatles, The Who and The Doors.
I was a huge headbanger when I was younger. Still listen to thrash(Slayer etc), early death metal(Bathory),Technical metal(Atheist) and  Type O Negative...but it's rare. But still have soft spot.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 16, 2013, 04:05:25 PM
         I was a huge headbanger when I was younger. Still listen to thrash(Slayer etc), early death metal(Bathory),Technical metal(Atheist) and  Type O Negative...but it's rare. But still have soft spot.

I wasn't expecting Type O Negative to make an appearance in there. But I approve.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Agent : Orange on February 16, 2013, 04:18:21 PM
I wasn't expecting Type O Negative to make an appearance in there. But I approve.

Saw them 5 times between 1992-1997. Great band, last time I saw them was at Ozzfest in '97, at about 4pm on a sunny day, which was...odd.

Usagi

So what are we calling "mainstream rock" here?  That's pretty vague.  There's probably some plenty fine things that can fall under that category, but a lot of suck, too.  It certainly depends on when we are talking about here, too.

I listen to a pretty wide mix of stuff, but my present kick can be well described by one of my favorite radio programs, Shake the Shack with Leon Berman.  Here it is streaming:

http://kexp.org/programming/progpage.asp?showID=6&1413=41313.75-1&96=41313.75-1&256=41313.75-2

"featuring the best in Rockabilly, Boogie Woogie, Rhythm and Blues, Country, Western Swing, Surf, and whatever else"

And don't be so harsh on punk, onan!  A lot of it really isn't all that vulgar, and much of it is more simple and pure and truthful than most over-bloated other business (this is even coming from a girl who really likes Yes).  I think punk harks back to the original essence of rock, often explicitly, more so than anything that became labeled rock later.

Usagi

Quote from: Agent : Orange on February 16, 2013, 04:18:21 PM

Yes, it's a major shame that Peter Steele died.

One of my favoritest videos:

Type O Negative "The Profits of Doom"

For what it's worth..
I've been falling in love with the Metallica Kill'em All album all over again for the past month.

Killing Joke. The best post-punk rock that also happens to cover pretty much all the weird stuff everyone on this board could possibly be interested in.

http://youtu.be/kkPGGoP7Krk
http://youtu.be/3QWKxQI4-4o
http://youtu.be/g5ujsROMsAU

Usagi

Agreed, Agent : Orange.  Good stuff.

Sardondi

Quote from: McPhallus on February 16, 2013, 12:51:47 PM
Quote from: onan on February 16, 2013, 12:54:59 PM
and it is Obama's fault....

Oh, hell no.

He's merely one of the consequences.

onan

Quote from: Usagi on February 16, 2013, 04:32:03 PM
So what are we calling "mainstream rock" here?  That's pretty vague.  There's probably some plenty fine things that can fall under that category, but a lot of suck, too.  It certainly depends on when we are talking about here, too.

I listen to a pretty wide mix of stuff, but my present kick can be well described by one of my favorite radio programs, Shake the Shack with Leon Berman.  Here it is streaming:

http://kexp.org/programming/progpage.asp?showID=6&1413=41313.75-1&96=41313.75-1&256=41313.75-2

"featuring the best in Rockabilly, Boogie Woogie, Rhythm and Blues, Country, Western Swing, Surf, and whatever else"

And don't be so harsh on punk, onan!  A lot of it really isn't all that vulgar, and much of it is more simple and pure and truthful than most over-bloated other business (this is even coming from a girl who really likes Yes).  I think punk harks back to the original essence of rock, often explicitly, more so than anything that became labeled rock later.

I did paint with a broad brush there. I just saw one too many bands that thought throwing up on stage was "art".

I did and still like the Sex Pistols, the Ramones, the Clash the Buzzcocks and a few others... But  I do stand by the loss of talent trending to shock as a demise to what should have been a return to the basics.

Quote from: onan on February 16, 2013, 05:49:21 PM

I did and still like the Sex Pistols, the Ramones, the Clash the Buzzcocks and a few others...
All good, throw in some Stiff Little Fingers, Television, Wire, the aforementioned Killing Joke, Joy Division, UK Subs, Sisters of Mercy, Richard Hell, and we have an excellent playlist.

HorrorRetro

Today I've listened to:

Alcatrazz
Pantera
Mudvayne
Dead Boys
Minor Threat
Dead Kennedys
Rainbow
Joe South
Yes

Caruthers612

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 16, 2013, 03:47:25 PM
        Small sample size
        Bill Bruford     "Feels Good To Me" 1977
         Bert Jansch    "Thirteen Down"  1980
         King Crimson  "Red"  1974

Eddie, it might be love. ;-) I'll make up the spare bed for you. Shall I expect you at 8:00? ;-)

Caruthers612

Quote from: HorrorRetro on February 16, 2013, 06:11:47 PM
Today I've listened to:

Yes

Now it really is love. ;-) Horror, I'll not only make up the spare bed for ye, I'll jump in and shag ye.
         Lots of good bands mentioned in this thread, and good points made. I will say that I don't think good, genuine rock is dead, only that it's gone well underground. I heard Henry Rollins talking about how now there is a kind of reaction against the mainstream by such bands that's so intense, some have taken to issuing their albums on cassette tape and making only twenty-five copies, then doing "concert tours" of people's basements, then moving on and making another album. I love this purity, this punk "fuck this, we eschew all connection to the mainstream" ethos that seems intended to leave the creative artist free to do as he will. In addition, I would commend to everyone's consideration the bewildering variety of talented people whose music can be found on youtube, written and performed from people's bedrooms and PCs. The technology has allowed gifted people everywhere to do their thing and put it out there. I can't tell you how many great guitarists and groups I've simply stumbled upon on youtube.

Sardondi

Quote from: Caruthers612 on February 16, 2013, 10:39:52 PM

Eddie, it might be love. ;-) I'll make up the spare bed for you. Shall I expect you at 8:00? ;-)

Eddie Coyle just might have the best musical taste here. And I say that as a gabster who was himself introduced into the Court of The Crimson King when it could still be heard on radio.

Think I'll light a candle and listen to "Bridge of Sighs" or maybe "Starship Trooper"....

HAL 9000

Wow. I never would have thought... I like to think I have good taste in music, keeping in mind I do differentiate between music and noise (realizing it's subjective). But wow, after reading through numerous music threads, I am completely out of the fucking loop.

I could not name one song by almost any group mentioned on CG, and have never even heard of the names of about > 95% of the bands/musicians mentioned.

♫ Keep in mind I'm someone who still thinks Chicago and Phil Collins are great, ♫ and have a man-crush on Josh Groban's music (last two albums excepted).

Usagi

Quote from: HAL 9000 on February 16, 2013, 11:26:14 PM
Wow. I never would have thought... I like to think I have good taste in music, keeping in mind I do differentiate between music and noise (realizing it's subjective). But wow, after reading through numerous music threads, I am completely out of the fucking loop.

I could not name one song by almost any group mentioned on CG, and have never even heard of the names of about > 95% of the bands/musicians mentioned.

♫ Keep in mind I'm someone who still thinks Chicago and Phil Collins are great, ♫ and have a man-crush on Josh Groban's music (last two albums excepted).

Fear not, Hal.  I listen to Chicago while cleaning the house.  :o  (I won't mention my opinion of Josh Groban, though, out of courtesy.)