• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

It's the kill shot!

Started by Caruthers612, February 16, 2013, 01:35:18 AM

Caruthers612

http://www.weather.com/news/meteor-hits-earth-20130215
        How could we have doubted Major Ed Dames...<hangs head in shame>(Yes, I know, his kill shot was a coronal mass ejection, but this is coast to coast, people! Close enough.)

Are such things undetectable (the meteor) until it is too late?
And I thought I read the asteroid was only recently discovered, like last year.
Who knows what else is going to be close fly-bys, near misses, or a direct hit!
Should I start to panic yet?

Hmm, good thing we can still rely on Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck.....

"Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, speaking at an economic forum in the Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk, said the meteor could be a symbol for the forum, showing that "not only the economy is vulnerable, but the whole planet."

Well, duh! 
We are using up and laying the planet to waste as it is, due partly to economy.

I'm sorry, I awoke in a mood....and obviously, not a pleasant one.

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on February 16, 2013, 08:43:51 AM

The asteroid that passed by Earth, DA14, was only observed for the first time a year ago. The meteor that exploded over Russia is a completely different object. I think an object like the Russian meteor is detectable in practice but they are difficult observations to make since these objects are so relatively small and reflect very little sunlight (low albedo).

In conclusion, it's impossible to have a better defense system than Willis & Affleck.

Eddie Coyle

Blind squirrels and broken clocks laugh at Ed Dames "success" rate. Though it would be funny if the kill shot occurred in the Ukraine.

Artsy

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 16, 2013, 10:00:28 AM
         Blind squirrels and broken clocks laugh at Ed Dames "success" rate. Though it would be funny if the kill shot occurred in the Ukraine.
What does that even mean?  Duh?  Are you high?  And why would a kill shot be funny at all, ever!?

Artsy

Quote from: Agent : Orange on February 16, 2013, 09:48:59 AM
The asteroid that passed by Earth, DA14, was only observed for the first time a year ago. The meteor that exploded over Russia is a completely different object. I think an object like the Russian meteor is detectable in practice but they are difficult observations to make since these objects are so relatively small and reflect very little sunlight (low albedo).

In conclusion, it's impossible to have a better defense system than Willis & Affleck.
Actually there is a group out there trying to do something as actors won't be saving your ass.
Their goal, to detect and deflect.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Caruthers612 on February 16, 2013, 01:35:18 AM

http://www.weather.com/news/meteor-hits-earth-20130215
        How could we have doubted Major Ed Dames...<hangs head in shame>(Yes, I know, his kill shot was a coronal mass ejection, but this is coast to coast, people! Close enough.)

Hey, a constipated sumo wrestler having a dump and bursting his haemorrhoid's would be close enough for our Ed.

Artsy

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 16, 2013, 12:01:39 PM

Hey, a constipated sumo wrestler having a dump and bursting his haemorrhoid's would be close enough for our Ed.
I think Ed has it right.  He just can not say when.  It is a matter of time. IMHO.

Quote from: Artsy on February 16, 2013, 11:59:52 AM
Actually there is a group out there trying to do something as actors won't be saving your ass.
Their goal, to detect and deflect.

Links?

Quote from: Artsy on February 16, 2013, 11:57:09 AM
What does that even mean?  Duh?  Are you high?  And why would a kill shot be funny at all, ever!?

If the deadly asteroid specifically targeted Ed Dames it would be pretty funny, yes.

Quote from: Artsy on February 16, 2013, 12:03:56 PM
I think Ed has it right.  He just can not say when.  It is a matter of time. IMHO.

Let me guess: you're Ed Dames

Artsy

Quote from: Agent : Orange on February 16, 2013, 12:28:11 PM
Let me guess: you're Ed Dames
Lololololol.  No but I'm in love with him.  I'm going crazy for this YouTube link from this amazing group who have the technology to d&d.  As soon as I find it I will put it up here.  It is an amazing vid.  These people are brilliant!

Quote from: Artsy on February 16, 2013, 12:37:29 PM
Lololololol.  No but I'm in love with him. 
Damn. I thought the Major may have decided to walk among the civvies for a sec.

Artsy

Quote from: Agent : Orange on February 16, 2013, 12:47:23 PM
Damn. I thought the Major may have decided to walk among the civvies for a sec.
I'd like to pull down his skivvies!

Thanks for the link, but I wasn't able to open the video, but at least I have a place to start now. I've heard of B612 before, but don't have much information beyond that.

From the website at http://b612foundation.org/ it doesn't appear they say anything about destroying hazardous objects. As far as I know it's still an open question on how best to deflect something big and potentially dangerous.

Artsy

Quote from: Agent : Orange on February 16, 2013, 02:11:14 PM
Thanks for the link, but I wasn't able to open the video, but at least I have a place to start now. I've heard of B612 before, but don't have much information beyond that.

From the website at http://b612foundation.org/ it doesn't appear they say anything about destroying hazardous objects. As far as I know it's still an open question on how best to deflect something big and potentially dangerous.
Right.  I have not had a chance to ck the video and make sure it's the one I saw.  But yes the B612 Foundation is I believe, all we have.

Quote from: Artsy on February 16, 2013, 02:30:04 PM
Right.  I have not had a chance to ck the video and make sure it's the one I saw.  But yes the B612 Foundation is I believe, all we have.

So our best hope may still be Willis & Affleck then?

Artsy

Quote from: Agent : Orange on February 16, 2013, 02:31:55 PM
So our best hope may still be Willis & Affleck then?
No.  There's always Superman  :-*

Artsy

McPhallus

Quote from: Artsy on February 16, 2013, 12:37:29 PM
Lololololol.  No but I'm in love with him.  I'm going crazy for this YouTube link from this amazing group who have the technology to d&d.  As soon as I find it I will put it up here.  It is an amazing vid.  These people are brilliant!

Now may be your chance.  I hear things didn't work out too well with his mail-order Russian bride.

Morgus

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on February 16, 2013, 08:43:51 AM

thats correct, most of the near-earth asteroids are discovered just after they pass close by earth...
we could be hit at anytime without warning.
ones that are discovered well in advance of coming close to earth are just by luck.
and they don't have any technology that could prevent an asteroid from hitting earth unless they had several years advance notice to try to slowly deflect its path.
blowing it up with a nuke like shown in some movies won't work since that would only at most break it into smaller pieces so we would get hit with several asteroids rather than one big one...

Sardondi

Quote from: McPhallus on February 16, 2013, 02:56:49 PM
Now may be your chance.  I hear things didn't work out too well with his mail-order Russian bride.

Poor Ed: he abandoned western civilization a decade ago to go live in a horse-apple-heated yurt with his mail-order bride in Kazakhstan, but apparently he never counted on having to to fit in with her family. And they turned out to be pony-riding descendants of both Genghis Khan and Mohammed, who have rejected not only Europeans but even all modern amenities...except the AK-47. Ed thought they had done him an honor by bestowing the name "Buzkhazi" on him. He assumed when the kept measuring his head it had something to do with a ceremonial hat. Ed was wrong, of course.

Ed was no better at interpreting his in-laws' feelings for him than he was in predicting the kill-shot. He got tired of eating dried horse meat a few years ago and gave his wife back to his father in-law, along with the 5 ponies she brought with her to the marriage, so Ed figures he's divorced. He returned to life in the West, and hangs out in a bar called "The Four Aces" on La Cienaga, trading predictions on the daily numbers for beers.

With the most recent meteorite hit, it looks like once again Ed is the perfect Anti-Predictor, in that whatever he says or does is exactly wrong.

Artsy

What are you smoking?  And no ill pass.

Quote from: Artsy on February 16, 2013, 03:21:11 PM
What are you smoking?  And no ill pass.
It seems like you're surprised no one puts any stock in Dames. He was always wrong.

onan

Quote from: Agent : Orange on February 16, 2013, 03:38:16 PM
It seems like you're surprised no one puts any stock in Dames. He was always wrong.

And always wrong is an understatement.

Dex

Honestly, it's Dames whose high  :o