• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

How did the cops f'up this bad?

Started by somatichypermutation, February 08, 2013, 12:01:26 AM

Two women out delivering newspapers shot in their truck because the police thought it was the cop killer.  OK, mistaken identity, but...other reports state the cops said the truck matched the description of the killer's truck.  Really?  They riddled a Toyota with bullets, the killer drove a Nissan.  Look at how many shots they took at that truck! Luckily, both women injured but alive. 

Really?  Really? This is what policing has come to...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/02/ex-cop-manhunt-newspaper-delivery-women-shot.html

Juan

It's part of the problem of the militarization of the police. They use overwhelming force in all situations.  Not to say that the man they're chasing is not dangerous, but this shows how the police have totally abandoned discretion.

onan

Quote from: UFO Fill on February 08, 2013, 04:57:40 AM
It's part of the problem of the militarization of the police. They use overwhelming force in all situations.  Not to say that the man they're chasing is not dangerous, but this shows how the police have totally abandoned discretion.

Take a look at this link. It is an interactive map showing "botched paramilitary" police raids.

http://www.cato.org/raidmap

Instead of hiring the necessary number of park rangers, the regional (multi-County) park system here has it's own 'police' force, including motorcycle cops.  I had one encounter with one of these idiots - another non-thinking, us against 'them' jackoff. 

So many of the agencies have their own forces - commuter train, busses, the colleges, who the hell knows now many others.  Soon they'll all be flying drones.  This is part of what people mean when we say we want our country back.

There aren't enough people that I would personally consider having the aptitude - let alone skills and training - to be police to go around for every agency out there with their own 'force'.  The cops in my little suburban town are completely useless - yet arrogant, but very politically correct. 

So this is the kind of shit that happens. 

onan

from the reading I have done this morning... seems the escalation actually started in the 80's and has continued to erode civil liberties ever since. And with 9/11 and the patriot act... and now super surveillance...

I can see someday a great grand kid asking what is freedom?

HAL 9000

Quote from: onan on February 08, 2013, 09:53:11 AMI can see someday a great grand kid asking what is freedom?

That is remarkably close to what Ronald Reagan said in an address at the annual meeting of the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce on March 30, 1961:

Quote from: Ronald ReaganFreedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 08, 2013, 07:01:03 AM
Instead of hiring the necessary number of park rangers, the regional (multi-County) park system here has it's own 'police' force, including motorcycle cops.  I had one encounter with one of these idiots - another non-thinking, us against 'them' jackoff. 

So many of the agencies have their own forces - commuter train, busses, the colleges, who the hell knows now many others.  Soon they'll all be flying drones.  This is part of what people mean when we say we want our country back.

There aren't enough people that I would personally consider having the aptitude - let alone skills and training - to be police to go around for every agency out there with their own 'force'.  The cops in my little suburban town are completely useless - yet arrogant, but very politically correct. 

Democrat and Republican voters agree on this.  Why can't we make it stop?

Yorkshire pud

Perhaps there's a requirement to disarm ex police officers when they're dismissed from the service if it's suspected they've got a grudge against the police department or the personel within it?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 08, 2013, 07:01:03 AM

And the strange thing (well, not so strange) is those same useless, arrogant, politically correct but with little aptitude individuals are drawn from the same population that you have defended the right to hold a firearm, no matter what. So explain how armed civilians who in some states need no more than a driving licence to secure the purchase of a firearm, become inept simply because of the official status? Do they get untrained to use firearms?

Juan

Yorkie, you may not know, but the officer in question, from his published manifesto, is a rather left-leaning Democrat - exactly the people who say they want to rid the country of guns.

As for why this attack on civil liberties has taken place, don't forget the "war on drugs."  One of the main beneficiaries of the war has been police departments through federal grants and the forfeiture laws.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: UFO Fill on February 08, 2013, 12:41:08 PM
Yorkie, you may not know, but the officer in question, from his published manifesto, is a rather left-leaning Democrat - exactly the people who say they want to rid the country of guns.

I see, so fundamentally all democrats are potential psychopaths, but republicans aren't? I know it might appear trite, but as I've explained elsewhere on several occasions, what many Americans define as 'left leaning' isn't left leaning in the rest of the world.

As for why this attack on civil liberties has taken place, don't forget the "war on drugs."  One of the main beneficiaries of the war has been police departments through federal grants and the forfeiture laws.

Sure. But what would you suggest? That the police don't get equipment and resources too take on an enemy they can't possibly beat, buthave to anyway because that's what the politicians of all political persuasions wish them to do. My own opinion for what it's worth, is that there are grounds for making narcotics legal; undercut the street price and pour the money into providing decent education and rehabs and healthcare.  This would at a stroke make the trade unprofitable; it would also ensure the cleanliness, far fewer people being sent to prison on drug charges (many of them addicts) and far fewer gun fights because of drugs.. But in the real world, no politician would put their head above the parapit and suggest it as "he/she would be seen as a 'danger to our children" and "Soft on drug crime" and no doubt being that terrible suppurating sore, a liberal.

92% of Americans support backgrounds, 0% of Americans support taking all your guns.  Quit being a paranoid bomb thrower and argue the real discussion, not your made up strawman. 

Juan

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on February 08, 2013, 01:15:48 PM
92% of Americans support backgrounds, 0% of Americans support taking all your guns.  Quit being a paranoid bomb thrower and argue the real discussion, not your made up strawman.
Who said that?

BobGrau

Quote from: onan on February 08, 2013, 09:53:11 AM

...I can see someday a great grand kid asking what is freedom?

Well, it won't be my grandkid. No way would I bring a child into this world. Think of it as a boycott.

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on February 08, 2013, 10:11:09 AM
Democrat and Republican voters agree on this.  Why can't we make it stop?

Because on so many issues the two parties are not D vs R, it's the people making decisions in government vs the rest of us. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: onan on February 08, 2013, 09:53:11 AM

I can see someday a great grand kid asking what is freedom?
I'm prepared to tell them "it's just another word for nothing left to lose".

They won't get it, and then I can lecture them about their cultural illiteracy and when I was their age...

Quote from: UFO Fill on February 08, 2013, 12:41:08 PM
Democrat - exactly the people who say they want to rid the country of guns.

As for why this attack on civil liberties has taken place, don't forget the "war on drugs." 

You said it.

That said, lets give more rights to drugs and just get background checks on all guns and increase penalties for cross state trafficking in guns, and we are GOOD.

I do not think an assault weapon ban works.

Juan

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on February 08, 2013, 03:18:28 PM
You said it.
That's not what you said someone said.  Sorry you have trouble with consistency.  I'm through with both you and Yorkie.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 08, 2013, 02:47:14 PM
       I'm prepared to tell them "it's just another word for nothing left to lose".

They won't get it, and then I can lecture them about their cultural illiteracy and when I was their age...
Yeah.  And don't forget to sing ever' song that driver knew.   ;)
Hope you're weathering the storm well.  Be safe.

Quote from: UFO Fill on February 08, 2013, 04:30:14 PM
That's not what you said someone said.  Sorry you have trouble with consistency.  I'm through with both you and Yorkie.

lol!  i GUESS QUOTES ARE NOT CONSISTENT ENOUGH FOR YOU.

wHEN YOU CAN ARGUE YOUR POINTS BASED ON FACTS, INTELLIGENCE AND THOUGHT, FEEL FREE TO REJOIN THE BOARD.

Quote from: UFO Fill on February 08, 2013, 02:26:19 PM
Who said that?

Are you asking about background checks you unread boob?  Try real polls: http://news.yahoo.com/over-90-percent-americans-support-gun-background-checks-133548844.html

God damn Rush listeners, they believe Rush because they are too fucking stupid to use Google.  2nd graders can use Google, Rush dittoheads cant find their own brain.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Treading Water on February 08, 2013, 05:28:59 PM
Yeah.  And don't forget to sing ever' song that driver knew.   ;)
Hope you're weathering the storm well.  Be safe.
Stormwatch is well underway, in the city of Boston right now we're probably at half a foot of snow, and the winds are about 30 MPH off the harbor. Since the state has deemed me "non-essential"(duh) and admonished me to not leave the house, I'm going to use that as a premise not to shovel. They should send some "essential" being to take care of it for me.

Insanity

I wouldent be surpised if this happens a few more times in future days. That guy has the cops skeeerd.

A while ago the cops here shot a guy in a Suv 41 times.
Now he was trying to run over them/run away, but jesus, 41 shots is a bit much.

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on February 08, 2013, 05:58:29 PM
lol!  i GUESS QUOTES ARE NOT CONSISTENT ENOUGH FOR YOU.

wHEN YOU CAN ARGUE YOUR POINTS BASED ON FACTS, INTELLIGENCE AND THOUGHT, FEEL FREE TO REJOIN THE BOARD.

Calm the fuck down. your going to pop a blood vessel.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 08, 2013, 06:51:24 PM
    Stormwatch is well underway, in the city of Boston right now we're probably at half a foot of snow, and the winds are about 30 MPH off the harbor. Since the state has deemed me "non-essential"(duh) and admonished me to not leave the house, I'm going to use that as a premise not to shovel. They should send some "essential" being to take care of it for me.
You are essential here, amigo.  Be well, and enjoy your enforced staycation.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on February 08, 2013, 10:49:48 PM
You are essential here, amigo.  Be well, and enjoy your enforced staycation.
Thank you, sir. Still alive and well...and unfortunately deemed "essential" by my family, as my dumb ass bro in law got stuck at his work, so I'm trudging off to shovel out my sister's drive way. They lured me with leftover scorpion bowls. 15 inches of snow right now, and they're saying we still got 10 hours in this storm. My kid really has my DNA, instead of enjoying the weekend(and having Friday off), he's already grousing about whether he'll have school on Monday.

As far this topic goes. LAPD has long been a cesspool and a despicable lot. And rarely ever had a Knapp Commission-like entity to change the culture. Corrupt to the core. And a history as a domestic spy service, working on the behalf of an "ally" of America.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: UFO Fill on February 08, 2013, 04:30:14 PM

Can I offer my sincere apologies. I can't speak for S H, but I'm guessing his sentiments will be similar. I should have realised that presenting questions that challange the contradictory views that you hold would be problamatic in your answering them without revealing that same dichotomy. It does of course explain why you don't directly answer the questions I asked a few posts back. If you do deign to come back into similar discussions, I'll try to not force you into such an invidious position again, as it wouldn't be fair..I would be upset if I was accused of being a bully.

coaster

I've read several stories online and watched reports on tv and none of them mentioned the cops shooting the two women.That story quickly disappeared.

Insanity

Quote from: coaster on February 09, 2013, 03:16:52 AM
I've read several stories online and watched reports on tv and none of them mentioned the cops shooting the two women.That story quickly disappeared.
Funny how they make things dissapear when it suits them.