• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Melancholy by music alone

Started by Sardondi, December 01, 2012, 11:32:15 PM

Kaiborg

Isn't "Magnolia" one of the best films ever?  I remember seeing it in the theater, and I've watched the DVD countless times.  Yes, Aimee Mann's music in it is a great example of melancholy music.

Music alone has an emotional impact.  Add to it the poetry of lyrics, especially those words which  express thoughts and feelings one can relate to, and it can touch the soul.
Rhythms of a heartbeat.

'Mad World' from Donnie Darko is playing in my head right now for some reason...

Now I feel even more melancholy.  I think I need to listen to something upbeat immediately, if not sooner...wait, what is sooner than immediately?

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on December 30, 2012, 09:09:19 PM
Now I feel even more melancholy.  I think I need to listen to something upbeat immediately, if not sooner...wait, what is sooner than immediately?
How Soon is Now?

Zircon

Psybient, psychill, ambient, trance, goa ... spacemind2012, liquid mind, future world music, epic music and some Deuter.

Soon enough. So what's the most upbeat music you can suggest, RealCool Daddio? Lift us out of this state of melancholia, which I believe is somewhere between New York and Delaware from where I am standing...err, lying down...

Sardondi

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on December 30, 2012, 10:17:27 PM
Soon enough. So what's the most upbeat music you can suggest, RealCool Daddio? Lift us out of this state of melancholia, which I believe is somewhere between New York and Delaware from where I am standing...err, lying down...

Sacrilege! This is Downerville and there will be no smiles. So no threadjacking here, me hearties. But it would be awful nice for someone to start a Happy Music thread...

Yorkshire pud

I'm not sure yoou can get this in the USA (probably not) -but this was on the TV last night. The science of music, including how it affects humans on an emotional level.

BBC iPlayer - Dara O Briain's Science Club: Episode 6

Froom first hearing this in the 80's, this song's tune always gave me an overwhelming feeling of meloncholy.

Duran Duran - Save A Prayer

Barbers Adagio is pretty downbeat!

There's the paradox where a tune can be all major keys and uplifting, yet the lyrics bludgeningly, heartbreakingly powerful..for example...

BLUE OCTOBER "The Feel Again (Stay)" (HD Official Video) from ANY MAN IN AMERICA

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 31, 2012, 03:53:47 AM
Froom first hearing this in the 80's, this song's tune always gave me an overwhelming feeling of meloncholy.
Duran Duran - Save A Prayer
That's odd.   "Melancholy" is probably one of the last words people would associate with Duran Duran.   Mismarketed as they were.   From that album, "New Religion" is one that caught my attention back in '95/'96 during some drunken listenings ~~~  that was from listening to my then-new CD.  I had bought the "Rio" LP back in '83 and there are some content differences between the formats.

Try "South Side Of The Sky" by Yes.    Musically stunning, like all Yes stuff from that period, but -- listen, and see what you think, then research what the song is supposedly about.
Something happened and was a big news story back in 2006 and it made that "melancholy" song stick in my mind for a while.

Quote from: Sardondi on December 31, 2012, 01:41:10 AM
Sacrilege! This is Downerville and there will be no smiles. So no threadjacking here, me hearties. But it would be awful nice for someone to start a Happy Music thread...
*Hangs head in shame*
Yes, sir, so sorry, sir, is this better  :( :( :(
Awful nice?  How can it be awful and nice?
Just a sec, I can be awfully awful and awfully nice or nicely nice or something similar.
Anyway, at present I can only think of sad love songs.
And there are gazillions of them, so therefore, love must be sad, right?

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 31, 2012, 02:33:47 AM
I always found this to be a melancholy piece of music

Blade Runner-Love Theme-Full version

Yes, I remember it well.  It was just before I found out I was a replicant and not a real live girl.
The moment still haunts me...

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on December 31, 2012, 11:47:57 AM
Yes, I remember it well.  It was just before I found out I was a replicant and not a real live girl.
The moment still haunts me...

Don't you mean just after? As just before you'd have still been 'living' in your delusion..Why not tell yourelf you really are a replicant? I'm sure no-one will hoold it against you...and then you can guest with George..

"Wuell, tonight we have a lady called Rachael, and she says she's a replicant...yeyysss that's right, you heard it right, she's a replicant. So, this might be an opportooonity to open up the lines a little later after the first ooour, and ask Rachael some questions....coming up"

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 31, 2012, 11:55:13 AM
Don't you mean just after? As just before you'd have still been 'living' in your delusion..Why not tell yourelf you really are a replicant? I'm sure no-one will hoold it against you...and then you can guest with George..

"Wuell, tonight we have a lady called Rachael, and she says she's a replicant...yeyysss that's right, you heard it right, she's a replicant. So, this might be an opportooonity to open up the lines a little later after the first ooour, and ask Rachael some questions....coming up"

No, no, it occurred before I found I was not human, when life was an illusion.
Sadly, I am still delusional, but in a different sense.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on December 31, 2012, 12:15:10 PM
No, no, it occurred before I found I was not human, when life was an illusion.
Sadly, I am still delusional, but in a different sense.

But are you still up for an interview with George? He'll never know you're delusional, what has he to compare?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 31, 2012, 12:20:41 PM
But are you still up for an interview with George? He'll never know you're delusional, what has he to compare?

Shhhhh!  I can't give interviews!!!! No one knows I'm here....well, I guess some do now, but I have to keep on the move (at least from one thread to another) before I am apprehended by 'them' and am undone!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on December 31, 2012, 12:33:18 PM
Shhhhh!  I can't give interviews!!!! No one knows I'm here....well, I guess some do now, but I have to keep on the move (at least from one thread to another) before I am apprehended by 'them' and am undone!

Hmm it does of course mean you're open to a factual, well researched and beautifully presented youtube video entitled "Replicant in our midst; evidence 'they' don't want you to see'

Sure, it will be a bit vague on who they are, but it will be well recieved I'm sure.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 31, 2012, 12:38:29 PM
Hmm it does of course mean you're open to a factual, well researched and beautifully presented youtube video entitled "Replicant in our midst; evidence 'they' don't want you to see'

Sure, it will be a bit vague on who they are, but it will be well recieved I'm sure.

It will also be vague on who I am, as I still do not fully understand myself.
Now I must be off, staying in one thread for too long can be compromising.
I shall return though, just when, I cannot say exactly, but WE NEVER SPOKE OF THIS.
OR THAT.
Okay? Shhhhhhhhh.......

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on December 31, 2012, 01:20:12 PM
It will also be vague on who I am, as I still do not fully understand myself.
Now I must be off, staying in one thread for too long can be compromising.
I shall return though, just when, I cannot say exactly, but WE NEVER SPOKE OF THIS.
OR THAT.
Okay? Shhhhhhhhh.......

I know not of which you speak dear lady....(Over theatrical wink and tap of the nose)... ;)

HAL 9000

@Sardondi

Either 1) we were twins separated at birth, 2) you are my doppelganger, or 3) just musically kindred spirits, as I find this thread and 95% of the contents of your posts in this thread could have been written by me, which, of course, makes you a genius.

Without getting too sentimental, suffice it to say that I have a self-juxtaposed personality; one-half very analytical, logical, scientifically oriented, pragmatic; the other very emotional, evocative, especially with music. After reading numerous posts at CG relating to music, I find I have very little in common with what appears to be the majority. I tend towards pieces that are beautifully melodic, lyrical harmonies, which by their very nature touch one's soul.

I appreciate the beauty of axiomatic mathematics, yet am profoundly moved by the complexity of emotions that simple vibrations of air molecules against our tympanic membranes summon by stimulating neuronal pathways. A part of me might ponder at the wonder of evolution, while a larger part is humbled by purposeful design.

While I realize your thread is dedicated to music without lyrics, I've allowed for lyrics to invade some of my selections. I have a rather large and diverse music collection (thank file-hosters and torrents!), so I went through a bit earlier tonight, and compiled a quick collection of music/songs I find particularly pleasing. This compilation is by no means exhaustive - I just did a "quick and dirty" peek through some of my music folders, and copy/pasted a few.

Rather than make a list, I'll just say that, the contents run from pop to opera, instrumental to voice, love to patriotic, and sadness to joy.

If these pieces don't evoke emotions, then you're 1) not human, or 2) a communist.

Anyone can download these selections at the two links below. There are about 60 pieces, some duplicates by different artists for variety, and a double-your-money-back guarantee. I'm certain there will be something for everyone, especially since you're reading this thread.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dkj6liig89uetgj
http://www.mediafire.com/?35978sp7jv8y3g7

Download both links.

NOTE: those pieces labeled 'remix' means I took the original and modified to my liking. Sometimes, if lucky enough, this involved taking pieces from different tracks to make a piece longer, or taking out lyrical phrases and recombining, hopefully seamlessly.

BobGrau

Quote from: HAL 9000 on January 01, 2013, 02:13:43 AM

...I appreciate the beauty of axiomatic mathematics, yet am profoundly moved by the complexity of emotions that simple vibrations of air molecules against our tympanic membranes summon by stimulating neuronal pathways...

I think I just came, a little.

Sardondi

Quote from: HAL 9000 on January 01, 2013, 02:13:43 AM
@Sardondi

Either 1) we were twins separated at birth, 2) you are my doppelganger, or 3) just musically kindred spirits, as I find this thread and 95% of the contents of your posts in this thread could have been written by me, which, of course, makes you a genius.....

Wow. It's nice to know that even barely articulate keyboard thrashes can get through to somebody. So sometimes maybe we can make a little sense even if we think we're not. It brings to mind the scripture about how even the inarticulate "groaning of the spirit" is heard and understood. And you make some very intuitive points about mathematics, which is far more closely related to not just music, but IMO the perfection and order of the entire universe itself, than most of us realize.

Your music selections are excellent choices, particularly the "Lament" from BoB, with its sublime moments of tension and near-dissonance.

HAL 9000

Quote from: HAL 9000 on January 01, 2013, 02:13:43 AMAnyone can download these selections at the two links below. There are about 60 pieces, some duplicates by different artists for variety, and a double-your-money-back guarantee. I'm certain there will be something for everyone, especially since you're reading this thread.

Download both links.

Looks like mediafire can see inside non-encrypted zip files and restrict them. Try these two links and password:

http://www.mediafire.com/?577jxxvt7lp7vay
http://www.mediafire.com/?xlpae275bv7x68k

password is: CoastGab.com

I must confess, I am not so learned in music or even the science of it, as those within this discussion.
I know, when I am sad and listen to melancholy music, it only serves to amplify my sadness.
Sometimes I listen to it anyway, sort of like pouring alcohol into an open wound, trying to burn the pain away but only causing more.
Mostly, when I feel melancholy, I write.  Poetry, generally.  Or paint.
Sometimes I hum to reassure myself all will be well.

HAL 9000

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on January 03, 2013, 02:53:05 PMI must confess, I am not so learned in music or even the science of it, as those within this discussion.

Might I offer another point of view; one needn't be learned or view music from science, but rather how it is more universally intended - to touch your innermost self via emotion. If some pieces evoke certain visceral responses, then the desired effect has been achieved.

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on January 03, 2013, 02:53:05 PMI know, when I am sad and listen to melancholy music, it only serves to amplify my sadness. Sometimes I listen to it anyway, sort of like pouring alcohol into an open wound, trying to burn the pain away but only causing more.

I don't know if the alcohol on the wound would be my interpretation - though it may be yours. Consider the possibility that this genre might instead be a salve that, though not immediately apparent, may very well be ultimately healing - a catharsis of your soul.

NOTE: the first 30 songs are in the first link, 31-60 in the 2nd link.

In this small collection there are the dulcet tones of Josh Groban singing in various languages, pieces from Les Misérables, movie soundtracks, opera standards, a nice harmonious interpretation of Hallelujah by The Canadian Tenors, and a touching rendition of Smile by Groban, composed by Charlie Chaplin (yes, THAT Charlie Chaplin) among numerous others. Give 'em a shot - you just might smile through your tears - appreciating the beauty that exquisite melody and harmony can bring.

Quote from: HAL 9000 on January 03, 2013, 10:37:43 PM

Give 'em a shot - you just might smile through your tears - appreciating the beauty that exquisite melody and harmony can bring.

^^^^^Undeniably this!^^^^^

I haven't sobbed so loudly or smiled so broadly in quite a while.  Thanks, again.

I was just speaking of myself, but I thank you for your response, HAL 9000, and I
understand what you are saying and appreciate it very much, as well as your thoughtfulness
in offering the links.
I recently lost someone dear to me (though not in death), thus this
discussion struck a note.
My listening to melancholy music has only made it worse.
Even uplifting songs has not helped.
I guess it is all in how an individual interprets things, music or
otherwise.

Pragmier

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on December 02, 2012, 12:49:12 AM
One name: Ennio Morricone. You know the Clint Eastwood movies, but check out sections from the scores of "Once Upon a Time in America" and "Once Upon a Time in the West". Since you posted the theme from "Platoon", the theme from "The Deer Hunter" made a good match for emotional impact. The melancholy theme from "The Thomas Crown Affair" came to mind too.

Concur wholeheartedly on the Ennio pick.

Here's a few more.

Il Maestro Riccardo Muti dirige l'Intermezzo della Cavalleria Rusticana (featured in Raging Bull)

Adagio in G Minor (Albinoni) (from Rollerball)

KD Lang & Roy Orbison - Crying

Sardondi

Ever since I had a wreck in 2005 which was enough to tip me over into retirement, I'm not in a car much. As a result I rarely listen to the radio these days. I have no idea what's happening with new music. Neither do I watch any network emtertainment tv, and other than one or two "30 Rocks" haven't seen a first-run network sitcom or drama since "Seinfeld" days. But I was watching the PBS "Great Performances 40th Anniversary" show tonight and saw Josh Groban, of whom I was completely unaware. And he sang "Changing Colors", which I had never before heard.

And it simply broke my heart in two.