• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

FUNCTION RANDOM - All Things Technological On Your Mind

Started by Camazotz Automat, August 17, 2012, 04:04:35 AM

Ciardelo

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 27, 2017, 05:26:32 PM
MV did talk about updating/replacing your host file to prevent your computer from connecting to a large number of malicious sites...  It was either here on the forum or on the Spec Sheet or both.

This is my goto website, and was last updated Feb 22 2017.  It has #commented instructions embedded in the host file itself if you want to read that first and see if it is what you are looking for, and you can add sites of your choosing to the list:

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/zero/
Quote from: wr250 on February 27, 2017, 08:20:20 PM
note: the host file will not block some (or possible any) of $micro$ofts domains . they must be blocked at a edge router (the router that goes to the internet). this is due to $micro$oft hard coding ips into the update and other $m$ software, effectively bypassing the hosts file.

Many, many thanks to you both.  :)

Quote from: wr250 on February 27, 2017, 08:20:20 PM
note: the host file will not block some (or possible any) of $micro$ofts domains . they must be blocked at a edge router (the router that goes to the internet). this is due to $micro$oft hard coding ips into the update and other $m$ software, effectively bypassing the hosts file.

$neaky bastards.

TigerLily

Elon Musk‏ @elonmusk
Fly me to the moon ... Ok
SpaceX to Send Privately Crewed Dragon Spacecraft Beyond the Moon Next Year
spacex.com

My fiancé is so special!  :-*  No wonder he never has time to call me  :'(

zeebo

Quote from: GravitySucks on March 02, 2017, 07:56:25 PM
https://www.researchgate.net/blog/post/dna-could-be-the-future-of-data-storage

Ah that's thinking too small.  Or rather, too big.  Simple atoms are far more space-efficient than those bloated DNA molecules.  Quantum computers are where it's at.  Plus you get not just on/off bits but depending on the quantum state you can get ones that are both on/off at the same time.   :D

Ciardelo

Quote from: Taaroa on March 04, 2017, 03:46:41 AM
Interesting concept and I can understand why they were doing it, just might not be legal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/technology/uber-greyball-program-evade-authorities.html

Imma yuuuge Uber fan, very interesting article, thanks.

Juan

I have a copy of Adobe InDesign that I paid hundreds of dollars for back before they rented software.  It is on a laptop that I have replaced with a new one.  I cannot find the installation DVD.  Is there any way to get InDesign off of the old laptop and onto the new one so that I can use it?
The old laptop runs Win7, the new one Win10.  I figure since the NSA and CIA know what I'm doing, I might as well send my data to Microsoft, too.

zeebo

Quote from: Juan on March 08, 2017, 09:37:07 AM
I have a copy of Adobe InDesign that I paid hundreds of dollars for back before they rented software.  It is on a laptop that I have replaced with a new one.  I cannot find the installation DVD.  Is there any way to get InDesign off of the old laptop and onto the new one so that I can use it?
The old laptop runs Win7, the new one Win10.  I figure since the NSA and CIA know what I'm doing, I might as well send my data to Microsoft, too.

I think this is not likely possible.  You can't really 'extract' an installed program and move to another place, given all its files scattered in different places and registry entries etc.  I've always found that I need the CD/DVD and license code to move an app around.

On that note, I recently found out, that a license I had for Windows 7 that came with an old laptop, is not transferable to another machine.  So that little activation code sticker is nice and all but useless for moving the OS somewhere else after your laptop fails like mine did.  I guess those versions are sold to third-party sellers at a discount which is why they're limited.  You have to purchase a full retail version to have the 'privilege' of reusing it anywhere else.  So in a sense you don't really 'own' Windows, you just have a license to use it on a specific piece of hardware.   ::)

Jackstar

Quote from: Taaroa on March 08, 2017, 02:20:32 PM
Console has not been out for even a week yet.

When did the beta even start? Oh, right.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Juan on March 08, 2017, 09:37:07 AM

Adobe may have a downloadable copy of your version in their support site. Or if you email them you may be able to get a download.

If you still have the license key you should be able to activate it. If you don't have the license key, you can run a utility like Belarc Advisor and it will print out the keys for all software that uses the registry to store the keys. I have never used indesign but adobe generally stores their keys in the registry.

https://www.lifewire.com/belarc-advisor-review-2625784

zeebo

Quote from: GravitySucks on March 11, 2017, 08:46:48 PM
...If you still have the license key you should be able to activate it. If you don't have the license key, you can run a utility like Belarc Advisor and it will print out the keys for all software that uses the registry to store the keys....

I was thinking his license was on his missing dvd, so figured he was outta luck.  Good tip on trying to snag it from the registry, I didn't know that was possible, thanks.

Taaroa

QuoteTempleOS  is a biblical themed lightweight operating system created over the span of a decade by the American programmer Terry A. Davis. The operating system was designed to be the Third Temple according to Davis and uses an interface similar to a mixture of DOS and Turbo C.

Development for TempleOS began in 2003 after Davis suffered from a series of manic episodes that left him briefly hospitalized for mental health issues. Davis is a former atheist who believes that he can "talk with God" and that God told him the operating system he built was God's official temple. According to Davis TempleOS is of 'Divine' intellect due to the inspired nature of the code. According to Davis, God said to create the operating system with 640x480, 16 colors display and a single audio voice. The operating system was coded in a programming language developed by Davis in C/C++ called "HolyC". The OS runs a file system called "Red Sea".

The OS contains numerous embedded biblical references including a program called AfterEgypt which allows users to "communicate with God" through an oracle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TempleOS

With all the attempts at compromising other operating systems, maybe it's time to adopt God's chosen software. The programmer does daily livestreams, and he looks and acts exactly the way I expected.

Jackstar

Quote from: Taaroa on March 13, 2017, 03:21:21 AM
With all the attempts at compromising other operating systems

How many of these involve fellatio?

Amateurs.

March 15, 2017
WhatsApp and Telegram users -  security flaw...

"By simply sending an innocent looking photo, an attacker could gain control over the account, access message history, all photos that were ever shared, and send messages on behalf of the user."

https://phys.org/news/2017-03-flaw-whatsapp-telegram.html

Taaroa

My Nexus 5x is not showing up on my computer, but it's still charging from it. Very annoying for someone who needs to periodically transfer files to and fro.

Taaroa

Quote from: Taaroa on March 16, 2017, 04:18:34 AM
My Nexus 5x is not showing up on my computer, but it's still charging from it. Very annoying for someone who needs to periodically transfer files to and fro.

Managed to fix it by manually specifying that the 'malfunctioning device' in device manager use the "MTP USB device" and not "MTP device". Seems to be an issue other people are having as well, but there isn't anything that I could see from Google on fixes.  I came across this though, which helped https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=63867982&postcount=6

Hopefully it doesn't happen again...

cweb

One of my biggest annoyances with Android phones in general is hooking them up USB to computers. Don't get me wrong, it's better than the Apple shitshow. But you have this tiny little delicate connector that, if all of the conductors aren't perfectly aligned, tards out and decides that instead of transferring files you want to simply charge all the time.

Yes, there are SSH solutions to this. Transfer files by using the network and all that. But I likes my solutions hardwired if possible. I'm hoping that USB-C will at least make the connector hassle less of a hassle.

Rant over.

Taaroa

Quote from: cweb on March 16, 2017, 05:49:55 AM
I'm hoping that USB-C will at least make the connector hassle less of a hassle.

Sorry to inform you, but the Nexus 5x uses USB-C and hasn't improved things greatly (except charging).

cweb

Quote from: Taaroa on March 16, 2017, 05:52:49 AM
Sorry to inform you, but the Nexus 5x uses USB-C and hasn't improved things greatly (except charging).
Dang. Well, thanks for letting me know. Guess I'll be doing more research on SSH-style options.

Bison shipping containers were ferried by helicopter to Banff National Park to reintroduce them as a wild species.  It has been over a century since the beasts have roamed free there.

Such a well thought out project has been on my "wish" list for years.

Bringing the Bison Back to Banff Project

The lowering of a container.  It looks suspiciously like a scene from LOST:

The release.  It brings fucking tears to my eyes:

albrecht

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 17, 2017, 04:36:15 AM
Bison shipping containers were ferried by helicopter to Banff National Park to reintroduce them as a wild species.  It has been over a century since the beasts have roamed free there.

Such a well thought out project has been on my "wish" list for years.

Bringing the Bison Back to Banff Project

The lowering of a container.  It looks suspiciously like a scene from LOST:

The release.  It brings fucking tears to my eyes:

That is awesome! I'm sure the Bison don't mind so much but is almost still winter the best time for a release? Wouldn't it be better to release in the spring when there is more forage?

On a technical side I got this strange message when I tried to visit a website I've used before to look up times/channel for games. Would this be on "their side" or on "my side" causing whatever security issue:
"403 Forbidden

A potentially unsafe operation has been detected in your request to this site."

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/ncaa-tournament-tv-schedule-tbs-cbs-tnt-trutv-march-madness/

I had just updated Firefox today, so maybe related, somehow?

JesusJuice

Quote from: Taaroa on March 13, 2017, 03:21:21 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TempleOS

With all the attempts at compromising other operating systems, maybe it's time to adopt God's chosen software. The programmer does daily livestreams, and he looks and acts exactly the way I expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT7yvaGN0ZU