• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

FUNCTION RANDOM - All Things Technological On Your Mind

Started by Camazotz Automat, August 17, 2012, 04:04:35 AM

Ciardelo

Quote from: cweb on January 19, 2016, 11:22:41 AM
Stumbled into this video again. Pure bullshittery. The comments are gold! Or maybe platinum. Whichever has better conductivity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73yDxmBV6cI
QuoteI can attest to the quality of these cables. The zeros look much more zeroey and the ones look much more oney.
lawls

cweb

I like this one:
QuoteNot recommended! I watched hunger games with my friend on my 61inch sony using this cable and one of catness's arrows came out of the tv and went strait through my buddies chest killing him intstantly. NOT TO MENTION RUINING MY COUCH. Although i was able to return the cable and refurnish my entire home with the refund.

Mr. Fidget

Have you googled "askew", "do a barrel roll", and (from a phone) "bubble level"?

albrecht

Google's AI beats top "Go" player. Now when will we have game shows of Big Blue, Watson, Google's, and Apple's AIs just playing each other in games?
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v529/n7587/full/nature16961.html

Praise Apple for not instantly rolling over for the FBI.

The bureau is accustomed to snapping its fingers and making AT&T and others dance on command.

zeebo

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 17, 2016, 09:35:20 PM

I've got some questions about all this.  How does anyone know that Apple actually can break it's own encryption?  And should they even be able to?  And if so, do their users know that?  And doesn't this mean hackers potentially could break it too?

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on February 17, 2016, 10:35:50 PM
I've got some questions about all this.  How does anyone know that Apple actually can break it's own encryption?  And should they even be able to?  And if so, do their users know that?  And doesn't this mean hackers potentially could break it too?
I will add if also this is some type of bidding process? For future contracts, new "angel" investors or contracts, via front companies, or outright  (as was fairly documented with some governments,) or just some stock and sales talking and profit taking.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 17, 2016, 09:35:20 PM

The bureau is accustomed to snapping its fingers and making AT&T and others dance on command.

They'll put up a respectable fight, then they'll give in. As much as breaking their own security will hurt them, being known as the tech company that protects the rights and secrets of terrorists will hurt them even more. I say that as an Apple fan and supporter.

zeebo

It's a toughy, since if you let the feds crack into your security, then that opens the door for hackers as well.  Or does it?  I don't get why they just can't crack the device in a secret lab, and get the authorities the info, without opening up the exploit to hackers.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: zeebo on February 19, 2016, 01:24:36 AM
It's a toughy, since if you let the feds crack into your security, then that opens the door for hackers as well.  Or does it?  I don't get why they just can't crack the device in a secret lab, and get the authorities the info, without opening up the exploit to hackers.

That may have been possible (the secret lab) if Apple had cooperated instead of fighting this. Maybe it's still possible. One hangup could be if the government insists on the right to use the unlocked data for legal purposes, thus exposing Apple's cooperation, potentially. This would confirm publicly that a means exists for breaking into iPhones and other Apple devices, which would have the effect of hurting Apple's business in a way they're trying to avoid. Lots of maybes in this explanation, however.

zeebo

Quote from: Value Of Pi on February 19, 2016, 03:21:51 AM
...This would confirm publicly that a means exists for breaking into iPhones and other Apple devices...

The way I heard it, alot of their security is just by slowing down, or blocking brute force attacks, which makes me think their actual encryption algorithms are maybe not unbreakable.  This makes me wonder why would they do that in the first place.  With enough bits you can basically thwart brute force attacks (unless someone out there's already got that quantum computer).

Quote from: Value Of Pi on February 19, 2016, 12:10:33 AM
They'll put up a respectable fight, then they'll give in. As much as breaking their own security will hurt them, being known as the tech company that protects the rights and secrets of terrorists will hurt them even more. I say that as an Apple fan and supporter.

Quote from: zeebo on February 19, 2016, 01:24:36 AM

Additional perspective and interesting information:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3034232/security/apple-iphone-fbi-san-bernadino-tim-cook-itbwcw.html

Value Of Pi

Quote from: zeebo on February 19, 2016, 03:30:08 AM
The way I heard it, alot of their security is just by slowing down, or blocking brute force attacks, which makes me think their actual encryption algorithms are maybe not unbreakable.  This makes me wonder why would they do that in the first place.  With enough bits you can basically thwart brute force attacks (unless someone out there's already got that quantum computer).

The security feature that blocks the brute force attack is the one that wipes the iPhone clean with too many wrong entries. That's the feature the government wants Apple to disable on this terrorist's iPhone. Whether the algorithm is unbreakable or not, the government indicates or implies that they can't do it, which says to me that it's as tough as it needs to be.

My question is, what's involved with disabling this feature? Presumably, if Apple can do it, so can someone else. I think Apple would rather not talk about the whole matter, or clarify anything for anyone.

Beyond the current situation, the company has a long history of designing things in such a way that customers or competitors can't mess around and make unauthorized discoveries or changes. It started with the proprietary operating system (which runs only on Apple hardware, although Hackintoshes are built by some) and runs right through all of their hardware and software design.

Quote from: zeebo on February 17, 2016, 10:35:50 PM
Any code written by a human can be broken by a human. Until self learning adaptive AI becomes a reality, nothing is unbreakable. ;) Even if the coders are compartmentalized and forced to use abstractions & blind interfaces, they all must have access to the API in order to program. The PM would have about 15x the work of a normal project in order to maintain isolation and compartmentalization. It would be a nightmare for all involved if the team wasn't 3-5x the normal size. The military does this to a certain extent though, because they can afford the personnel to do it properly. Keep in mind that the U.S. Air Force brought us ADA, a quadruple redundant, security / mission critical programming language. So it can be done, but it would  have to be implemented from the outset. 
  If they wrote it, they can break it. Plus, a back-door can be written with a single line of code. code can also be obfuscated and reflected. If a back-door is buried in 600,000 lines of code that comprise the program or a module,it would be very difficult to find during a code review, even with the tools and IDE's that are now available. That is unless you were specifically looking for it.

"Ok, I know these look like computers - totally not!" 
" I speak one. 1-0-1-0-0. With that I could steal your money, your secrets, your sexual fantasies, your whole life. In any country, any time, any place I want..."
"OK, if I decide to do this, I'm gonna need an unlimited supply of Xena tapes, and Hot Pockets"
"This is my Kung-Fu and it is strong!"

albrecht

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on February 19, 2016, 08:26:28 PM
Any code written by a human can be broken by a human. Until self learning adaptive AI becomes a reality, nothing is unbreakable. ;) Even if the coders are compartmentalized and forced to use abstractions & blind interfaces, they all must have access to the API in order to program. The PM would have about 15x the work of a normal project in order to maintain isolation and compartmentalization. It would be a nightmare for all involved if the team wasn't 3-5x the normal size. The military does this to a certain extent though, because they can afford the personnel to do it properly. Keep in mind that the U.S. Air Force brought us ADA, a quadruple redundant, security / mission critical programming language. So it can be done, but it would  have to be implemented from the outset. 
  If they wrote it, they can break it. Plus, a back-door can be written with a single line of code. code can also be obfuscated. If a back-door is buried in 600,000 lines of code that comprise the program or a module,it would be very difficult to find during a code review, even with the tools and IDE's that are now available. That is unless you were specifically looking for it.

"Ok, I know these look like computers - totally not!" 
" I speak one. 1-0-1-0-0. With that I could steal your money, your secrets, your sexual fantasies, your whole life. In any country, any time, any place I want..."
"OK, if I decide to do this, I'm gonna need an unlimited supply of Xena tapes, and Hot Pockets"
"This is my Kung-Fu and it is strong!"
What about one-time pads, assuming made from some random process generator, and the pad itself is not intercepted? Or this:  ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

Quote from: albrecht on February 19, 2016, 08:35:38 PM
What about one-time pads, assuming made from some random process generator, and the pad itself is not intercepted? Or this:  ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript
ROTFL - Excellent points. Regarding the Voynich; I think someone knows, but they're not talkin'.

Want to know how your computer works ? Dated info focusing on C and 'nix systems, but still relevant.
Free online Computer Science 101

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on February 20, 2016, 09:42:19 AM
Want to know how your computer works ? Dated info focusing on C and 'nix systems, but still relevant.
Free online Computer Science 101

This is really useful and interesting. Thanks for posting.

Anyone ever kick the tires on ReactOS?   Looks like it has been around quite sometime but I've just stumbled across it
today.   Is it worth even downloading?

https://www.reactos.org/

zeebo

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on February 19, 2016, 08:26:28 PM
...a back-door can be written with a single line of code. code can also be obfuscated and reflected. If a back-door is buried in 600,000 lines of code that comprise the program or a module,it would be very difficult to find during a code review, even with the tools and IDE's that are now available. ...

Yep just look at some of the old winners from the Obfuscated C contest for proof of that.  ;)
http://www.ioccc.org/years.html

I like this one which is a maze program:
http://www.ioccc.org/2004/arachnid.c

Or this klingon web server:
http://www.ioccc.org/2014/birken/prog.c

Quote from: Agent : Orange on February 20, 2016, 01:58:18 PM
This is really useful and interesting. Thanks for posting.
;)
  Anyone that wants to switch from Doze to a 'nix system might want to take a look at it. It'll give you quite a head start.

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 20, 2016, 08:44:43 PM
Anyone ever kick the tires on ReactOS?   Looks like it has been around quite sometime but I've just stumbled across it
today.   Is it worth even downloading?

https://www.reactos.org/

I messed with one of their pre-Alpha releases back before 2010. It needed a lot of work back then. It looks like they've released their alpha now though.

What exactly are you looking for ?
CinnXP  makes your desktop look like Win XP with the functionality and stability of Linux Mint.  There's also tips in that link to make the desktop look like 7 if that trips your trigger. ;)

Quote from: zeebo on February 21, 2016, 01:00:11 AM
Yep just look at some of the old winners from the Obfuscated C contest for proof of that.  ;)
http://www.ioccc.org/years.html

I like this one which is a maze program:
http://www.ioccc.org/2004/arachnid.c

Or this klingon web server:
http://www.ioccc.org/2014/birken/prog.c

Veeeery nice zeebo.

...        Beware the LemonLords !        LOL  Edit: Yes, the maze is awesome.