• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Photo storage

Started by HorrorRetro, August 16, 2012, 02:55:10 PM

HorrorRetro

I'm looking for photo storage ideas.  I used to use an external Seagate drive, but it went tits up, and I lost over 10,000 photos.  Thankfully, I had backed up most of my favorites to Photobucket before the crash.  I take several thousand photos per month, so I need a fairly large amount of storage. 

Any ideas?

Gina

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: HorrorRetro on August 16, 2012, 02:55:10 PM
I'm looking for photo storage ideas.  I used to use an external Seagate drive, but it went tits up, and I lost over 10,000 photos.  Thankfully, I had backed up most of my favorites to Photobucket before the crash.  I take several thousand photos per month, so I need a fairly large amount of storage. 

Any ideas?

Gina

mozy.com

ziznak

Along with the online backup I would go one step further than you did before with the external storage.  I'm sure you can find a very affordable NAS unit with a few tera's of space for all of your pictures.  I owned a little cheap job a while back that worked really well.  Had a few drives actually fail on me but because it supported RAID my discs were mirrored nothing was lost.  I would grab something with RAID 5 disc spanning.  You may have to snag a few hard drives but it would be great hardware level protection.

HorrorRetro

Thanks!  I will check out all the suggestions. I tend to put all my money into my cameras and neglect my storage.

Gina

scottydawg

Well for emergency back-up I use 64Gb Compact Flash cards. I compress photo and data files onto them. They are easier to handle, unlike those damn SD cards which can split in 2, and the Micro SD cards which can get lost easily.
I carry the cards with a reader in my gear bag when I go to work. That way if a computer failure at home happens I have backups of family photos and important records. Consider all those people out West who face wildfires. Sometimes they get ordered to (GET OUT NOW!) by the Fire Chief with no time to grab Photo Albums or Family records. The only reason memory cards hace gotten smaller is to fit smaller devices. I still keep an old WIN98 laptop in my car trunk. It's a tough old gal that can read the cards, and has less boot up time.

I am going to recommend blu ray burner plus blu rays discs (now around $1 each, hold 25gb).

Burners are now $75 or so.

I have had my fill of hard drives biting the dust! I store my photos four ways. My computer, my work computer, Dropbox ( not an endorsement, just what I use) and the most critical ones I even keep on my iPhone.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Klon, Melbourne Fla on August 29, 2012, 08:50:12 AM
I have had my fill of hard drives biting the dust! I store my photos four ways. My computer, my work computer, Dropbox ( not an endorsement, just what I use) and the most critical ones I even keep on my iPhone.

dropbox makes a nice addition to the backup chain.

I keep all of my files backed up in a warehouse filled with 5¼ floppy disks. I use a utility that can chop up the raw data of an individual file so that it can be spread across several disks.

Rental cost is a bitch, as is magnetic degradation, but all in all, pictures of my Aunt Gurdy are as safe as aces.

[attachimg=1]

P.S.  I also keep important photos stored as (gasp) printed photos on silver gel photographic paper.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on August 30, 2012, 10:19:03 PM
I keep all of my files backed up in a warehouse filled with 5¼ floppy disks. I use a utility that can chop up the raw data of an individual file so that it can be spread across several disks.

Rental cost is a bitch, as is magnetic degradation, but all in all, pictures of my Aunt Gurdy are as safe as aces.

[attachimg=1]

P.S.  I also keep important photos stored as (gasp) printed photos on silver gel photographic paper.

you reminded me of this:
http://video.adultswim.com/tim-and-eric-awesome-show-great-job/cinco-midi-organizer.html