• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

awesome video about media bias

Started by The General, August 14, 2012, 11:46:13 AM

Quote from: analog kid on August 14, 2012, 06:35:24 PM
Bill Maher is a comedian. That may sound like a copout, but how is a comedian telling a joke in his monologue equivilent to a news orginization lying to its viewer? The rest of that are red herrings. If you can study that Fox News image carefully and not see a vast difference between their news and any other outlet in existence, then I don't know what to say. The right can't seem to fathom just how far down the rabbit hole they've gone.

Well, my post was about how media reported this stuff, but I'll take the bait.

According to Wiki, Bill Maher is a stand-up comedian, television host, political commentator, author and actor.  So I guess when he gets called out he gets to claim that whatever he said, he had his clown nose on that day and no one should have taken it seriously.  Sort of like when Oliver Stone puts out one of his poltical attack movies that distort actual events and reality and we are told to relax 'it's just a movie' and no one need bother to correct any of it with the truth. 

Apparently any operative can lie and smear and attack, there really is no bottom to the acceptable vileness and sludge that can be dumped into the body politic if one is a D, because, well, those are all just red herrings.  Unless it's something about a Democrat.  Then the main stream media will react with shock and horror.  It will be big news and go on for days.  Sarah Palin will be brought up and knocked around a little.  It will get twisted into something it never was to make it appear worse, usually something rascist.  No red herrings there, no selected editing, nope just reporting the news from the mouths of those rotten R's.

Remember that Congressman shouting 'you lie' during an Obama adress to the Congress.  Probably not appropriate, but certainly not out of the norm for what comes out of DC.  The media went nuts.  No one tried to downplay it, no 'red herring' comments.  One commentator (Maureen Dowd?) even said she imagined the word 'ni**er' and decided that's really what he meant.  'You lie, ni**er'.  Anyone call her out?  No.  Probably just a red herring.  No harm done, just there to inform and comment.  Then those rat bastards on Fox News probably made the coverage from other news outlets and Maureen Dowds comment seem awful due to crafty editing.

Like I said, I've never watched Fox News and haven't watched any of the TV news in years.  It's too bad the lines between opinion and facts, commentators and journalists have been erased.  There is a revolving door between the media and 'spokesman' type political positions.  So saying Bill Maher is just a comedian is ridiculous.  Saying a sitting VP telling a crowd of black Americans the opponent wants to 'put them back in chains' is something other than a 'red herring'. 

onan

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 15, 2012, 10:34:32 AM

Well, my post was about how media reported this stuff, but I'll take the bait.

... So saying Bill Maher is just a comedian is ridiculous.  Saying a sitting VP telling a crowd of black Americans the opponent wants to 'put them back in chains' is something other than a 'red herring'.

And yet CBS and NBC reported Biden's statement soon after. And as far as I can tell they  did not try to explain it away.

I regret that issues such as these seem to stop us from rational and civil discussion. Rather we toss out terms that really have little meaning but lots of emotion. Contrary to Limbaugh liberalism isn't a bad thing. Contrary to Mike Malloy conservativism isn't a bad thing.

No one ideology is going to make us a better country. Is that really such a difficult idea to fathom? Face it there are ass clowns on both sides of the aisle that make their living off of making us resent and hate the other side. Where the fuck does that get us?

And really Bill Maher is your line in the sand? I could easily post pages on the difference between Rush and Maher. For one Maher has never been considered the focal point of the democratic party.

Quote from: onan on August 15, 2012, 10:55:42 AM
... No one ideology is going to make us a better country. Is that really such a difficult idea to fathom? Face it there are ass clowns on both sides of the aisle that make their living off of making us resent and hate the other side. Where the fuck does that get us? 

You are right of course.  I live in a left-wing cocoon where the only political talk I hear is repetition of and praise for the garbage the D's dish out, followed up with smug ridicule of Sarah Palin and Fox News.  And those are the normal people.  The 'activists', like Code Pink and Occupy and tons of others, pump out pure poisen around here.  I have had a front row seat to it for years.  I noticed certain tactics long before I heard of Saul Alinsky.  I'm starting to see it in the Obama campaign, and I don't like it.  For me, this alone is enough for them to not get a second term.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't the standard everywhere.

onan

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 15, 2012, 12:22:07 PM

You are right of course.  I live in a left-wing cocoon where the only political talk I hear is repetition of and praise for the garbage the D's dish out, followed up with smug ridicule of Sarah Palin and Fox News.  And those are the normal people.  The 'activists', like Code Pink and Occupy and tons of others, pump out pure poisen around here.  I have had a front row seat to it for years.  I noticed certain tactics long before I heard of Saul Alinsky.  I'm starting to see it in the Obama campaign, and I don't like it.  For me, this alone is enough for them to not get a second term.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't the standard everywhere.

I don't know if this will give you any hope. As it stands now I am not voting for Obama. And I am as left leaning as you will find.

Sardondi

If there is still someone who seriously thinks there is no significant media bias against conservatives, I give you the Family Research Council shooting. MIA from the news. Does anyone really deny that the coverage would have been a feeding frenzy if the affiliations of victim and shooter had been reversed? But for some reason this story isn't newsworthy.

The naked partisanship of the media has finally fatally damaged its credibility. This is the primary reason the present model of the traditional news media is dying; not "free news". But rest assured the msm, just like with celebrity obituaries prepared in advance, has long had ready for use the narrative of its own foreseeable death, with its own responsibility conveniently erased.

I just learned members of Occupy Wall Street had plans and materials to blow up a bridge in Ohio back on May Day.  Fortunately the FBI got wind of it, got to then first, and it didn't happen.  When I googled it, there were a couple 'right-wing' websites that had covered it, a few local Cleveland news outlets, foreign news outlets, and - wait for it - Fox News.  Nothing from the 'main stream media' on the first google page.  I asked a friend who does watch Fox, and he said he remembers hearing about it at the time.

Anyone recall seeing or reading about this in the national main stream media?

Sardondi

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 16, 2012, 06:01:54 PM
I just learned members of Occupy Wall Street had plans and materials to blow up a bridge in Ohio back on May Day.  Fortunately the FBI got wind of it, got to then first, and it didn't happen.  When I googled it, there were a couple 'right-wing' websites that had covered it, a few local Cleveland news outlets, foreign news outlets, and - wait for it - Fox News.  Nothing from the 'main stream media' on the first google page.  I asked a friend who does watch Fox, and he said he remembers hearing about it at the time.

Anyone recall seeing or reading about this in the national main stream media?

The funny thing is, after 10 years of humiliating every cable competitor, FNN is on the cusp of being the "mainstream media" itself. The people speak and things change. I would say to just ask The New York Times, Boston Globe, Detroit News/Free Press, Miami Herald, Chicago Tribune, L.A. Times, Newsweek or Time; but there's no one at any of those former media giants able to comment since they have no staff on duty after 5:00 pm local time. An unpaid intern answers after-hours calls at USA Today, but if you leave a message a reporter will return calls the next day...unless they're all still drunk, which happens now pretty regularly

Quote from: Sardondi on August 17, 2012, 12:11:41 AM
The funny thing is, after 10 years of humiliating every cable competitor, FNN is on the cusp of being the "mainstream media" itself. The people speak and things change. I would say to just ask The New York Times, Boston Globe, Detroit News/Free Press, Miami Herald, Chicago Tribune, L.A. Times, Newsweek or Time; but there's no one at any of those former media giants able to comment since they have no staff on duty after 5:00 pm local time. An unpaid intern answers after-hours calls at USA Today, but if you leave a message a reporter will return calls the next day...unless they're all still drunk, which happens now pretty regularly

It seems to me like OWS members caugt red-handed on their way to blow up a bridge on May Day would be considered 'news'.  I wonder how it would have been reported if it had been people associated with the Tea Party during a Tea Party event.

To me, learning of this, OWS is a domestic terrorist organization and should be treated as such.  That means anyone arrested for crimes committed during events should be charged with terrorism and placed on the No Fly List.  Leaders apprehended and held at Gitmo for questioning.  Sound harsh?  What if one or more bridges had actually gone down?   Or does next time?  Why should these people get a pass?

Fox News reported this and the rest of them either burried it or ignored it completely - the story simply didn't fit in with their politics.  This is why people tune in to Fox while the others have lost massive market share.

MV/Liberace!

i think fox news is biased center/right.  i don't say that as a critique of fox news.  rather, i see their product as a counterbalance to cnn, nbc, abc, cbs, and the nyt.  soooo... i get a little bored listening to people dismiss fnc out of hand.

having said that...

i sometimes feel compelled to laugh at the level of fox's bias masquerading as objective news.  i took the following screencap a couple days ago while watching a fnc pirate stream:

[attach=1]

what's with the incriminating "they knew" banner in the bottom right corner of the screen?  what the hell is that supposed to mean?  this was during one of the daytime news rundown shows fnc airs on weekdays.  it was not during hannity or oreilly which are declared opinion shows.

the conversation during this screencap focused on our raided libyan embassy.

edit:  and who is the girl on the right hand side of the banner?  is that supposed to be anthony weiner's wife?

HAL 9000

Quote from: MV on November 01, 2012, 10:44:48 PMedit:  and who is the girl on the right hand side of the banner?  is that supposed to be anthony weiner's wife?

That's Susan Rice, current United States Ambassador to the United Nations, who lied (or did the administrations bidding) on five Sunday talk shows, proclaiming the attack was due to a Youtube video.