McAfee
Symantec
Avira
Avast
Fuckrosoft
Eset
Some other vendor

ziznak

I keep a pretty clean set of machines maintained and break a ton of your rules MV.  I think as long as you just pay enough attention to the machines you use things will be fine.  When I see some sort of error message I check it out.  I look at all the processes currently running at different times and constantly monitor my processors and ram usage.  I haven't had a non-hardware related system crash in many YEARS and by many I mean at least 10.  The only problem I've encountered is systems shutting down due to overheating issues which I thank god that the system does shut down at that point cause it saves the computer.

Oh and IE is never used unless I run into a problem with first Chrome and then Firefox.

Grimace

Quote from: ziznak on August 09, 2012, 09:01:56 PM
I think as long as you just pay enough attention to the machines you use things will be fine.  When I see some sort of error message I check it out.  I look at all the processes currently running at different times and constantly monitor my processors and ram usage.  I haven't had a non-hardware related system crash in many YEARS and by many I mean at least 10.  The only problem I've encountered is systems shutting down due to overheating issues which I thank god that the system does shut down at that point cause it saves the computer.

Oh and IE is never used unless I run into a problem with first Chrome and then Firefox.

This goes right in line with my "common sense" point... which you fleshed out well, haha. I bought a HP laptop on the cheap in early 2009 because I (okay, here's me totally violating my "common sense" idea) spilled a bunch of beer on my then main laptop and it didn't work for a while. The way the hardware is put together and the heatsink put in the HP G60 is pathetic, that fuckin' laptop has given me more trouble than any computer since the Packard Hell days of the 90s. Right now I have to take it apart yet again to do more dust cleaning on the heatsink and dick around with the LCD Inverter (I heard a new one isn't necessarily needed with this series, just to literally fiddle around with the current one, we shall see!) so my screen has a backlight again. Wait... are we sure this laptop isn't made by Packard Bell? I think if I blink quick enough I'll see that classic logo which gave me nightmares...

Please, please no...

ziznak

damn inverters!  Actually I have found that just about half the time a laptop screen has problems its got something to do with that inverter area and just screwing around with the wires is normally enough to "fix" the problem. 

I thought the packard hell logo looked like this?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: analog kid on August 09, 2012, 04:13:51 PM
Awesome.

i got mint installed, and the grub bootloader wasn't displaying.  instead, the monitor was complaining about the output of the video card, and i could see nothing until the menu timed out and mint began booting in high graphics mode.  i finally fixed that by editing /etc/default/grub.  thought it was smooth sailing until i started browsing the web.  for whatever reason, after mint is running for a few minutes, DNS stops resolving.  wtf.  i'm looking around, and it appears this is a known bug in mint13, but i have yet to find a solution.  so annoying.

stevesh

Good thing 'Linux has been ready for the desktop' since 1999.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: stevesh on August 10, 2012, 12:06:46 PM
Good thing 'Linux has been ready for the desktop' since 1999.

yeah.  good thing.

it's always something with desktop linux. 

analog kid

Quote from: MV on August 10, 2012, 11:31:58 AM
i got mint installed, and the grub bootloader wasn't displaying.  instead, the monitor was complaining about the output of the video card, and i could see nothing until the menu timed out and mint began booting in high graphics mode.  i finally fixed that by editing /etc/default/grub.  thought it was smooth sailing until i started browsing the web.  for whatever reason, after mint is running for a few minutes, DNS stops resolving.  wtf.  i'm looking around, and it appears this is a known bug in mint13, but i have yet to find a solution.  so annoying.

Sorry to hear that, man. Hoped it would go smooth.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: analog kid on August 10, 2012, 01:59:20 PM
Sorry to hear that, man. Hoped it would go smooth.

all seems fine now that i've jumped these hurdles.  even got the ubuntu software center running in mint which is quite nice.

by the way... if anyone has "input not supported" when grub is supposed to be displaying your list of operating systems, go to etc/default/grub and right click the file and run as administrator.  uncomment (remove "#") this line:

#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

and change that line to:

GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480x16

your grub menu will then work. 

edit:  i had this same problem with ubuntu 12.04 (mint is based on ubuntu) which i eventually uninstalled since it's such a bloated pig of an operating system.  mint13 seems far better in that regard.

Sardondi

Quote from: analog kid on August 09, 2012, 10:15:47 AM
...Have you given Linux a shot? It's easy to install and very good. Would certainly recommend trying it out before you get locked into Apple's highly expensive ecosystem.

If I were more tech competent I would definitely pursue Linux, which seems unbelievably stable, plus it has its own fan base which is every bit as loyal and idiosyncratic as Apple.

Quote from: Virtual on August 09, 2012, 12:00:21 PM

Quote from: Sardondi on August 09, 2012, 09:51:48 AM...I am especially frustrated by how MS routinely refuses to recognize not just perfectly legit major software, and even its own software on one of my computers, so MS refuses to download even security upgrades and the endless succession of patches and band-aid fixes to its amazingly shoddy products...
Maybe you are having problems with MS because you are working with an unsupported operating system Windows XP. I don't think windows is updating XP anymore.

For example, My printer did not work on my Vista operating system a few years back. The printer company stopped supporting the drivers for anything past Windows XP. It had nothing to do with Microsoft. HP wanted me to buy a new printer.

With the new chip architecture (64 bit) XP is not viable anymore. Vista was/is bloatware but Windows 7 does a really good job using all those cores and implementing clean x64 architecture. I think you might be disappointed with Apple OS these days. They have their own list of complaints and problems. As well as a monopoly on the hardware.

It's definitely legal, but the particular install is circa 10 y.o., so it may indeed be unsupported so as to impel me to an unwilling upgrade.

They killed my version. Bastards!

ziznak

Just a little something I noticed about fuckrosofts unessentials.  Seems to become a real bitch with larger files being copied to/from the machines it's on.  I've had it happen on a few occasions when I was copying a few large files, usually movies or game isos, and for some reason I'd notice the progress bar just hang out at a certain point and not wanna move.  I tend to just kill antivirus processes for fun when progs bitch out like this and wouldn't you know it?  THat's exactly what got things moving again. 

It's not enough of a problem to stop using it and I have to say I really do like essentials... still has a small foot print and relatively hands off management... but from time to time I find myself having to put the old dog down when I'm moving things around.

HAL 9000

Quote from: ziznak on September 21, 2012, 03:54:28 PM...I've had it happen on a few occasions when I was copying a few large files, usually movies or game isos, and for some reason I'd notice the progress bar just hang out at a certain point and not wanna move.

I had that exact problem a little over a year ago, when I installed Win7 Ultimate x64 on both my beast machine and my everyday POS machine. While copying files (especially onto USB devices) I noticed the timing algorithms for the animated bar graph were not nearly realistic - then the files would often hang at about 98% and never finish. I also noticed the same behavior on my uncle's laptop. Frustrating.

The solution?

TeraCopy Pro - which replaces the Windows copy API - a great piece of software. It copies flawlessly, never hangs, has a verify feature should you desire, and you can pause-resume file copying. It is also slightly faster than the standard Win copy. Integrates into the shell, so operation is seamless. I'd never be without it again. Too many features to list here. See:

Quotecodesector.com/teracopy

http://www.rapidshare.com/files/2338211729/TeraCopyPro.v2.27.rar

Widget

Run silent. Run deep...As you were, all.

I should have listened to advice when I got my laptop five years ago and kept McAfee. I thought the laptop was slow, and I knew there were firewall problems, but Wednesday McAfee went rogue and wouldn't let me go online, so I unstalled the piece of shit I actually paid for, installed free AVG and have been just hunky dory since, including all the issues with speed, conflicts and failing to connect gone, gone, gone. What a crap product. Too bad it took me 5 years of laziness to figure this out for myself.

I used Mandrake Linux for years from 8.6 to 10.1, and RedHat 9.Then I took a college course that required me to have XP and Office. .Had Nortons on that drove me crazy with warnings about the subscription was running out from 3 months before.When warnings would pop up all activity at keyboard would cease and I would miss entire paragraphs .finally ditched Nortons and went to Avast.
That 'puter died last year a final  death and I replaced with a Asus Laptop   which came with Trend Titanium (which started to act more like Zinc diecast)as a Best Buy special.Worked fine then suddenly would no longer update and never could work out.So I removed it and put Avast on but then the new puter started taking 15 -20 minutes to reboot.and some other problems.I went to put on MS security.Things seem to have worked out. I also use CCleaner,Malwarebyte Anti Mal-,Super Anti Spyware,Advanced System Care 6 , PC Matic,and IOBit Malware Fighter.
I have also had brushes with that damn virus anti-virus virus.Those folks need a special reinactment of the St.Valentine's Day massacre.
I use Thunderbird for mail though for some reason it receives mail in the trash file so I have no functioning trash file.Firefox,exp 32 and 64.I built my previous 'puter  and rebuilt it several times as pieces failed till the MB failed. 10 years on an Athlon XP.I am sort of a hardware geek but the OS remains inscutable to me.My shear dumbluck and by the grace of utillities I have kept it runnig though I have had some miserable days trying everything to get running again.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: UnscreenedCaller on November 23, 2012, 09:02:08 PM
I should have listened to advice when I got my laptop five years ago and kept McAfee. I thought the laptop was slow, and I knew there were firewall problems, but Wednesday McAfee went rogue and wouldn't let me go online, so I unstalled the piece of shit I actually paid for, installed free AVG and have been just hunky dory since, including all the issues with speed, conflicts and failing to connect gone, gone, gone. What a crap product. Too bad it took me 5 years of laziness to figure this out for myself.

if you're going to use a free AV, you should use microsoft's security essentials.

Sardondi

I'm amazed, but I just had a bad experience with Avast! I had used the free version of Avast! with an older Dell, running Firefox on Windows XP. I switched recently to a new HP Pavilion and the free stuff just ran out so I figured I'd actually buy some Avast! this time.

Mistake. With absolutely no warning, notice or permission, Avast! altered/severed all my internet settings/connections, and left me with the proverbial 20lb. paperweight. A system restore and an email demanding a refund less than an hour after I purchased and dl'd the product, and I'm back to where I was before I tired to give Avast! my money.

I suspect the root cause is the incompatibility between pre-loaded "free" time-limited anti-virus programs and Avast!. Regardless, this seems like such an obvious and often-encountered problem that a simple heads-up from Avast! would have been in order: when the first experience with your product is a surprise internet embargo, it does nothing to instill customer confidence.

MV/Liberace!

so you have 2 AVs instlled at the same time?

Sardondi

Quote from: Em Vee on December 06, 2012, 08:52:39 PM
so you have 2 AVs instlled at the same time?

Uh, no. Not me, no, uh-uh. Well, not technically. It was the bones of the pre-loaded "Buy Me!" av shit that had lapsed, and which I (okay, let's not rub it in) foolishly presumed that if it was no longer operable, then neither could it pose an incompatibility problem with new av software loaded on top of it. In doing this shit for more than 25 years I can't recall having done this, and I don't remember if it was never a problem before or if I was careful to do a full uninstall of the software.

Or it could be the guys that put stuff on my computer while I'm asleep. The same guys who post when I look the other way.

Look, I see what you're doing, trying to use logic and basic common sense to defeat my being pissed-off at someone else for not having done basic maintenance. But you can't fool me - you're really one of them.

Pragmier

I don't need anti-virus software. I never remove the plastic protective cover off the keyboard so ... I'm safe right?

John Smith

We have both PC's and Macs in the house, I am so-glad I only have to be vigilant with the PC's.
If I had it to do over I would spend the extra $ on another Mac and be done with this eternal vigil against an infection.

Quote from: MV 2000® on August 09, 2012, 02:13:52 PM
i think the bottom line is this.  if you want a clean machine:

1) install windows from a known good source.
2) keep windows updated.
3) don't use file sharing sites.
4) don't open email attachments.
5) run an antivirus.  MSSE will do.  no additional security software is necessary.
6) uninstall unused applications.
7) keep applications updated
8 ) in winvista and win7, run under a standard user account and create a password protected admin account so the password for that account will be required whenever someone wants to install/uninstall or change system settings.
9) DO NOT use internet explorer.  DO NOT.
10) i'm out of suggestions.

do all of this stuff, and you won't need to run 30 antivirus/antispyware applications in the background.  that shit often causes more problems than the malware it's designed to protect you against.  the less of that you can expose yourself to, the better.

Thanks for the tips, MV. I was hoping to find a "HELP!" thread, I would have started one, but I can't help anyone.

Jackstar

Quote from: Original Larry on December 02, 2016, 04:57:30 PM
Thanks for the tips, MV. I was hoping to find a "HELP!" thread, I would have started one, but I can't help anyone.

Note that this entry on OpSec is four years old. I do like the idea of relying on zombies over MSSE now though.

Quote from: Jackstar on December 02, 2016, 05:10:35 PM

Note that this entry on OpSec is four years old. I do like the idea of relying on zombies over MSSE now though.

Easier fix: use Linux instead of Windows.  Bonus: Jackstar can't fap to Linux either.

Of one thing I am sure: Jackstar will be there. Until he isn't.
Get ready for some PM's JS.

http://www.naturalnews.com/2016-12-20-study-manuka-honey-kills-more-bacteria-than-all-antibiotics-available.html

This type of honey not only effectively kills bacteria, but none of the bugs killed by it have been able to build up immunity.
  :o     ;)