• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Frikin' PC Games!

Started by elbee, August 09, 2012, 01:25:03 AM

area51drone

I loved Red Baron.   Another great old game is Dune, the RTS game similar to Command and Conquer, which itself and Red Alert were also great games.   Total Annihilation was another RTS I loved playing.   I can't believe it - I just looked up TA, and it's still going strong.  http://www.tauniverse.com/

zeebo

I recently picked up from gog.com the Red Baron Pack (which includes Red Baron 3D) and IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 (which includes all the add-on packs), each for 10 bucks.  Can't wait to get into the thick of combat, but before I jump in I'm getting up to speed using the freebies Microsoft Flight and open-source FlightGear to learn the basics.

ziznak

I spent HOURS playing REDBARON and watcing replays and stuff.  I would land behind enemy lines and then take off again.  Really great flight sim.  I never heard of Sturmvik until I found the DS rom which im pretty sure was a bit of a port.  But that game was great too.  There was another flight sim called p-51 something from back then which i believe was my first flight sim.  Legends of Valour was a great mmorpg predecessor as well as Alternate Reality which has a really well done fan remake called ARX.  AR is hailed as like one of THE first game of it's type.  I guess you could throw Moraffs name in there as well but then I'd wanna say NETHACK and ROUGE.  I love dungeon crawlers.  I've been playtesting the recent releases of ARX it's just started to move again.  http://www.crpgdev.com/arx.html

steelbot

Waiting for Titanfall to drop on 11th of March, that's gonna be a fun game for me.

steelbot

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on August 13, 2013, 02:17:34 PM
Generals Zero Hour is the only one I care to play. And of course, being a C&C game, it has issues. I'm not able to log into the server lobby to even join or create a game. I haven't searched the forums for an answer yet, but I suppose there is one out there. I've bought so damn many different versions of this game for one reason or another (usually EA's fault) that who knows what I have ahead of me.

The most recent purchase of C&C of mine was the red label one, 17. It has all of the games to date, but, and it is a big but, you have to download each one via Origin and you have to be logged on to the net to be able to even play. When you buy the game at the store, ya, you get a disc, but much to my disappointment it was a motherfucking game music soundtrack. No game files. Fucked up eh?
I have all the C&C Games, and even went and repurchased some as recently as last year from EA - the Kane's return stuff, but the old games simply do not play without emulating a 95/98 enviroment.  They look for long gone winsock and communication over direct connect cable with terminators at the ends, it was such an archaic time for local networking.  Some of the newer games work, cause they suport tcp/ip connections, but still give problems based on the forced belief 33.6 or 56k would ever be the fastest internet available, and hardcoded numbers like this into the networking programming.  Then as we all know EA bought West Wood, and that was that - I hated the day they shut down Earth & Beyond.

onan

Quote from: steelbot on March 02, 2014, 10:27:49 AM
Then as we all know EA bought West Wood, and that was that - I hated the day they shut down Earth & Beyond.

I don't know the techie stuff, but imo EA is the kiss of death to quality gaming. From my first experience, when they bought out Origin and took over Ultima Online, they sucked. With the inclusion into Star Wars the Old Republic, they continued to suck.

area51drone

I wouldn't say that entirely.   It's true sometimes, but they've put out some good sports titles, NHL series included, and the Battlefield series has been good.   Westwood was good though.

I have been snatching up Star Trek PC games lately, I'm going to throw them on my phone.

steelbot

Quote from: onan on March 02, 2014, 10:58:46 AM
I don't know the techie stuff, but imo EA is the kiss of death to quality gaming. From my first experience, when they bought out Origin and took over Ultima Online, they sucked. With the inclusion into Star Wars the Old Republic, they continued to suck.
HA - I remember using my buddies IDSN Fax line to play at 128kbs on Ultima Online - played on Great Lakes server for about 5 years and sold 2 accounts for 2k each - that was the First true MMO - in my opinion - but yes and I played STTOR too, yes, that franchise died faster than Porkins!

onan

Quote from: steelbot on March 02, 2014, 11:34:08 AM
HA - I remember using my buddies IDSN Fax line to play at 128kbs on Ultima Online - played on Great Lakes server for about 5 years and sold 2 accounts for 2k each - that was the First true MMO - in my opinion - but yes and I played STTOR too, yes, that franchise died faster than Porkins!

Yeah, such a great premise with lots of promises that fell to the fickle subscriber.

In Ultima Online I never sold my account, but I did sell "real estate" I was paid a hundred dollars for every small home I could place. I made close to a thousand dollars in less than 3 months.

steelbot

Quote from: onan on March 02, 2014, 11:48:46 AM
Yeah, such a great premise with lots of promises that fell to the fickle subscriber.

In Ultima Online I never sold my account, but I did sell "real estate" I was paid a hundred dollars for every small home I could place. I made close to a thousand dollars in less than 3 months.
LOL - SO YOU WERE THE GUY!!

I was a theif and an exploiter back then lol (i was 18 hehe, but i didn't care so much as it was only a game) I had my own mining operation for my grandmaster blacksmith out on a boat with a forge and iron right next to a mountain out in the ocean somewhere, I could make suits of armor all day and make like 3500 gold per set.   Then when the selling things inside a bag return the item to your original bag hehe we got a castle deed and duped the gold for that one, but it wasn't a dupe in the sense that each gold piece had a unique identifier and could never be traced back then lol so they couldn't "detect" who had legitimately duped theirs and who hadn't.  Oh that game was fun for a time.

Check out the C&C universe based tactical shooter: Renegade X
http://www.renegade-x.com

It uses the UT3 engine but is a standalone application, its presently in open beta but is very playable with lots of servers. Best of all, as its been developed by fans of the original C&C Renegade they're giving it away for free.

area51drone

Any of you ever play MUME?  http://mume.org/   One day I want to write a cell phone client for it.  I wasted so much time on it back in my college days.  I will never forget the glow of the xterms at 3:30am in the academic computing center.

zeebo

Quote from: area51drone on March 04, 2014, 12:51:53 AM
Any of you ever play MUME? ...

I used to play alot of RPG's but usually in single-user loner mode as I was worried I might get too immersed in a multi-user world and never escape.  :)

Funny though, these days I can't bear RPG's, mainly as I find the combat is usually boring hack-and-slash and I dread all the inventory management and repetitive quests etc.  I think what I really loved was just exploring around and discovering the world (e.g. I used to spend hours just wandering around Morrowind without accomplishing anything).

Anyway these days I'm trying to keep my love of games alive though by diving more into sims and strategy games.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on January 22, 2013, 05:54:05 AM
I have been trying to find the name of a pc game for the longest time. It was before 1991 and was a top down view adventure game where you were in a futuristic city and trying to escape or find your way out?
I think it may have had the word "city" somewhere in the title.

I finally found out the title of this game-it was 2400 AD.
An Origin game, sort of like a Ultima in the future.
http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2010/10/2400-ad-feeling-my-way-around-future.html

zeebo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on May 09, 2014, 07:58:23 AM
I finally found out the title of this game-it was 2400 AD.
An Origin game, sort of like a Ultima in the future.

Damn I miss Origin.  I wish they'd remake some of those old games.  I want so bad to play Ultima IV again but I just can't take the primitive interface anymore.  It's amazing though how those old games could create so much drama and atmosphere with just little blocky maps and characters.  Great writing & game design - what a concept.

analog kid

This guy has some cool retro arcade games.

http://www.locomalito.com

albrecht

I noticed at Walgreens they were selling Sega and Intellivisions. I recall loving the game "Utopia" on Intellivision and thinking I might pick one up as a Christmas present to me.
http://intellivisionlives.com/

analog kid

Quote from: albrecht on December 22, 2014, 08:24:01 PM
I noticed at Walgreens they were selling Sega and Intellivisions. I recall loving the game "Utopia" on Intellivision and thinking I might pick one up as a Christmas present to me.
http://intellivisionlives.com/
I'm pretty sure we had one of those.

Delphi

Please tell me someone here plays runescape?  I love the game. . Started playing on like 2001. I have a very rare name..  "Red"

albrecht

Quote from: analog kid on December 22, 2014, 08:51:45 PM
I'm pretty sure we had one of those.
How about Vectrex? Remember that platform game? I still have an original and kids still like it. The colored overlays were lost/broken but I did a internet search and, apparently, there are coders still producing new games!? Havent bought any, yet. But such a cool game with own screen and almost 3d effects. I wish they would've made a Tempeat like game for it (maybe they did but I never got it.) But still find, sometimes, old cartridges for it at garage sales.

Quote from: albrecht on December 25, 2014, 06:07:22 PM
How about Vectrex? Remember that platform game? I still have an original and kids still like it.
Vectrex was great. I owned one for a few years in the 90s.
Tempest yep. I bought a Jaguar just to play Tempest 2000.

albrecht

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 25, 2014, 07:23:09 PM
Vectrex was great. I owned one for a few years in the 90s.
Tempest yep. I bought a Jaguar just to play Tempest 2000.
Avoid Spikes..a better philosophy has not been better said ;D

Wintermute

Playing the heck out of Titanfall.

analog kid

Quote from: albrecht on December 25, 2014, 06:07:22 PM
How about Vectrex? Remember that platform game? I still have an original and kids still like it. The colored overlays were lost/broken but I did a internet search and, apparently, there are coders still producing new games!? Havent bought any, yet. But such a cool game with own screen and almost 3d effects. I wish they would've made a Tempeat like game for it (maybe they did but I never got it.) But still find, sometimes, old cartridges for it at garage sales.
Never even seen one of those.

Delphi

Runescape anyone??     
😄😄😄😄😄

zeebo

I've lost interest in RPG's and Action games it seems.  Even though I get amazed by the graphics/physics/etc I just never finish them anymore. 

So I thought I'd give Strategy games a go, but I've never really tried them.  Anyone have any favorites?

analog kid

Archive.org has added hundreds of old DOS games.

Quote from: zeebo on January 06, 2015, 11:22:35 PM
I've lost interest in RPG's and Action games it seems.  Even though I get amazed by the graphics/physics/etc I just never finish them anymore. 

So I thought I'd give Strategy games a go, but I've never really tried them.  Anyone have any favorites?

The only RPG that's kept my interest in a long time is Star Wars The Old Republic. It's a free-to-play MMO. It takes months of leveling before it starts to get good though. Haven't gotten into a strategy game since Warcraft II.

Quote from: zeebo on January 06, 2015, 11:22:35 PM

I like the Shogun: Total War series.
I sort of enjoy Dwarf Fortress (a free, super low-tech game).

zeebo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on January 07, 2015, 07:16:26 AM
I like the Shogun: Total War series....

That's encouraging - I actually picked up the Medieval 2 variant on Steam sale recently, but so far have just been leisurely reading through the lengthy but intriguing manual.  Gonna give it a try - time to build my empire.