• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Frikin' PC Games!

Started by elbee, August 09, 2012, 01:25:03 AM

ziznak

I know most coastgabbers arent into the gaming thing but there's quite a few who are so... heres an explanation of my recent forays into the wonderful world of wasted time. 

Okay so lately I've been totally addicted to this lil indy game called "Faster than Light."  It's a sci-fi large ship combat/management roguelike... can be had for fairly cheap or if you want to try it out you can pbay it.  Being an indy game you should pay for it if you can although this game looks like it's made a friggin killing.  One of those indy success stories I guess.  This leads me to another indy game addiction and that's "dungeons of dredmor" again it's another roguelike which has a lot of the same genetics as "faster than light" in that it's really well made and produced.  You can tell these games were made by gamers.  It's in the details and some of the polish that the big companies rarely take the time to pay any attention to.

Also on my recent addiction list are two mmorpgs and that's WOW on the molten private server which has only recently been eclipsed by my playing of Phantasy Star Blue Burst also on a private server.  I'm sure you're all familiar with WOW so I'll spare you that particular geek out.  But PSOBB has really sucked me in.  I got introduced to Phantasy Star late with the release of it's DS incarnation but since learning the ropes in that portable I looked and found PSOBB on this private server: http://www.blueburstserv.com/ 
PSO is like WOW but it's much more straight forward.  Your power lies in the plethora of items and equipment.  There isn't any pvp so it's a much more cooperative environment.  Also, the gaming world is so much more "trippy" if I can say that.  anyways for what it's worth check em out

If anybody gets into either of these games lemme know and I'll help ya level up n crap

oh and one more thing... a friend of mine found a great torrent for Star Wars Battlefront II with every mod and map that works great with gameranger to play online.  Since our drinking and gaming session a few nights ago I've taken to liking gameranger a lot and have replaced qtracker with it as my online fps gaming client.

Rest assured if I'm not photoshopping noory's face onto a pic of some hooker I'm probly playing a video game on something... computer, phone, watch... something.

LacyWoodrow

NES games on a emulator lol

LacyWoodrow

Quote from: ziznak on November 25, 2012, 09:28:30 PM
I know most coastgabbers arent into the gaming thing but there's quite a few who are so... heres an explanation of my recent forays into the wonderful world of wasted time. 

Okay so lately I've been totally addicted to this lil indy game called "Faster than Light."  It's a sci-fi large ship combat/management roguelike... can be had for fairly cheap or if you want to try it out you can pbay it.  Being an indy game you should pay for it if you can although this game looks like it's made a friggin killing.  One of those indy success stories I guess.  This leads me to another indy game addiction and that's "dungeons of dredmor" again it's another roguelike which has a lot of the same genetics as "faster than light" in that it's really well made and produced.  You can tell these games were made by gamers.  It's in the details and some of the polish that the big companies rarely take the time to pay any attention to.

Also on my recent addiction list are two mmorpgs and that's WOW on the molten private server which has only recently been eclipsed by my playing of Phantasy Star Blue Burst also on a private server.  I'm sure you're all familiar with WOW so I'll spare you that particular geek out.  But PSOBB has really sucked me in.  I got introduced to Phantasy Star late with the release of it's DS incarnation but since learning the ropes in that portable I looked and found PSOBB on this private server: http://www.blueburstserv.com/ 
PSO is like WOW but it's much more straight forward.  Your power lies in the plethora of items and equipment.  There isn't any pvp so it's a much more cooperative environment.  Also, the gaming world is so much more "trippy" if I can say that.  anyways for what it's worth check em out

If anybody gets into either of these games lemme know and I'll help ya level up n crap

oh and one more thing... a friend of mine found a great torrent for Star Wars Battlefront II with every mod and map that works great with gameranger to play online.  Since our drinking and gaming session a few nights ago I've taken to liking gameranger a lot and have replaced qtracker with it as my online fps gaming client.

Rest assured if I'm not photoshopping noory's face onto a pic of some hooker I'm probly playing a video game on something... computer, phone, watch... something.

Well, To be honest, I've played my fair share of MMORPG games. I played Ultima Online back in 1998 shortly after it's launch on a AOL connection! lol. Other games I played on launch were WOW, EQ1 and EQ1, AC and AC2, played Runescape when it was 1 server with a 1k pop cap, and still considered beta, and recently Diablo 3.
Other than Ultima Online which I played for many years, I rarely play a MMO for more than a year. Diablo 3, I reached level 60, and 30 paragon about a month ago, but I get really busy and games aren't my highest priority.

ziznak

Yeah i tend to get bored once I get to the higher levels... still though I like playin wow on a private server cause its free so you're not wasting money if you dont play for a few months

Quote from: LacyWoodrow on November 25, 2012, 09:50:21 PM
NES games on a emulator lol

I'm a huge fan of the emulators, especially arcades for games you want to play for 10 or 15 minutes and then put down. I bought a USB hub that connects two original super NES controllers to my PC so I'm set.

ziznak

yo orange you ever see the arcade controller setups they sell for the mame?

analog kid

Quote from: Agent : Orange on November 29, 2012, 06:52:15 AM
I'm a huge fan of the emulators, especially arcades for games you want to play for 10 or 15 minutes and then put down. I bought a USB hub that connects two original super NES controllers to my PC so I'm set.

I'd like an SNES emulator on my TV with classic controllers. Haven't figured out the best way to go about that though. Maybe one of these mini android PCs and wireless controllers?

ziznak

Quote from: analog kid on November 29, 2012, 08:34:37 AM
I'd like an SNES emulator on my TV with classic controllers. Haven't figured out the best way to go about that though. Maybe one of these mini android PCs and wireless controllers?
I have an awesome SNES emu that I run on my dsixl although I haven't used it in a while.  I've got a few hundred roms stashed on that card.  If I was going to run an emu I would run an N64 and snag a sidewinder controller like the setup I used to have... in fact I'm thinking maybe I'll look around for the n64 stuff again... "we don't need no stinking controller mang!!"

maybe upgrade the pc and screen but.. you get the point!

LacyWoodrow

Quote from: ziznak on November 29, 2012, 09:27:10 AM
I have an awesome SNES emu that I run on my dsixl although I haven't used it in a while.  I've got a few hundred roms stashed on that card.  If I was going to run an emu I would run an N64 and snag a sidewinder controller like the setup I used to have... in fact I'm thinking maybe I'll look around for the n64 stuff again... "we don't need no stinking controller mang!!"

Lordy! look at the tiny 15 inch monitor lol.
This one I think is neat.
very creative .Steampunk theme.

I'm sure it's a MAME built vs a Game Card. These days you can buy dirt cheap PCs with power supplys, and cheap tube televisions. If only I had the mojo, I wouldn't mind making something like that lol.

Quote from: ziznak on November 29, 2012, 07:09:54 AM
yo orange you ever see the arcade controller setups they sell for the mame?
No, can't say as I have, but I'm interested. It's hard to top an arcade stick for Street Fighter 2... and Rampage. :)

Whoa! I'd be all over that

Quote from: LacyWoodrow on November 29, 2012, 09:54:10 AM
This one I think is neat.
very creative .Steampunk theme.
I'm very impressed! One day when I have room I'm thinking I'm going to need an arcade cabinet. All the better if that can play a ton of MAME games.

I'm getting very sick of living in an apartment.

analog kid

Really cool ziznak. One of these days imma have those Namco games on my TV. Namely Galaga.

ziznak

I used to have an almost fully loaded rom collection for the mame32 emu.  Without the 6 button setup and those old school control sticks tho its just not the same.  I just looked at some of the collections out on tpb and whoa

http://thepiratebay.se/search/mame/0/7/400

DAE

Don't laugh.... I never outgrew pinball, and I cannot use a game controller.  So I enjoy playing all the Luxor games.

http://youtu.be/V9xSM7YOC1A

http://youtu.be/PpirEu6I6Wk

Pragmier

I've gotten lots of enjoyment from EQ1 and the Civ series (can't get past Emperor), but have never played a console game. Also the occasional chess game.

ziznak

I had one of the older versions of civ and I still play the ds version from time to time... I played a PC version with some friends from work a while back.  I always liked the RTS genre but for some reason each game tends to lack any staying power with me.  I'll play for a month or so and then I need to move on.  I never messed with the EQ's but liked WOW for a minute or two... again its another game type that doesnt seem to hold my interest long enough.  I like building my character and unlocking stuff but once I get to those later levels I'm like... "meh"  I'm back to playing PSOBB non-stop almost everyday now.  It's similar to the MMORPG's but much more simplified.  sometimes less is good in a game.  I'd rather have fun then have to sit and spend half of my time configuring my character. 

also recently... COD4 on the pc and online.  Cracked servers of course and I hooked up the instant level 55 with everything unlocked but I figure I earned all this crap years ago when i used to play.

one thing never changes... I'm always playing some sort of character driven procedural level up mmorpgish type game and an FPS.

oh and the pinball games are a staple on my DS... they're in my oldschool/retro section!

Pragmier

EQ's latest expansion added 5 more levels bringing the cap to 100. After 12+ years the amount of content is huge. Plus I'm doing some raiding now to change it up - but the "power gamers" make raiding too damn stressful LOL.

ziznak

how would you compare it with WOW?  Now you have me a bit curious... of course I'd probly try to find some sort of private/free server to play but from what I know of EQ it was THE ONE THAT STARTED it all when it comes to the free roaming MMORPG

Pragmier

Everquest is [mostly]free now!  :)

Nonpaying members have some limited functionality, hardly noticeable, and access to about 95% of the content. I've never played WOW so can't compare, but keep in mind you're talking about an old game and whatever code/graphics limitations are involved.

ziznak

yeah well I'm pretty much a strictly laptop user and I don't think i don't own a machine that hasn't been "frankensteined" at some point.  They're all regenerated corpses is my point.  Anyways most of the games I've been playing are a few years old so thats not an issue here.  I'll be checking it out... gotta love the free to play revolution

Falkie2013

Way back when the PC didn't even exist, these were my 2 favorite games to play.

My Apple ][GS and Apple ][c are set up in here and when I get tired of Civ3 or Diablo, I play Tigers or Star Fleet.

Tigers in the Snow for the Apple II

Star Fleet I: The War Begins! for the Apple II

The other one I play still is Arkanoid.

I tried to play Civ 4 on my Imac and found it unplayable. I kept being attacked by either barbarians or other NPC countries. It sucks.

I've been playing Diablo 3 almost non stop for 2 weeks. It took me a year to finish Diablo and I've yet to finish Diablo 2.

I like older games as well as the new ones. I still have my Sega Genesis, Atari game console, Intellivision and several old pcs and Macs and almost every Nintendo hand held made.

My gf loves to play Pokemon.

When I told my friend I had never played either Portal his eyes bugged out and said if there was one game I should play, that was it. A few days later I found a gifted Portal and Portal 2 on Steam! Since the holidays were largely free time for me I started playing casually one night until I just couldn't stop! These are some of the most creative and well made games I've played in a long time. The puzzles are engaging, the environments of the games are interesting (the period pieces in the second game) and a first person shooter where nothing has to die (except robots) is a welcome change of pace.

I was very impressed.

Pragmier

Quote from: Falkie2013 on January 09, 2013, 05:26:25 AM
Way back when the PC didn't even exist, these were my 2 favorite games to play.
The first game I was addicted to was Sword of Aragon, followed by every version of Civ. There is something charming about those old timers.

Quote from: Agent : Orange on January 09, 2013, 07:29:34 AM
When I told my friend I had never played either Portal his eyes bugged out and said if there was one game I should play, that was it. A few days later I found a gifted Portal and Portal 2 on Steam! Since the holidays were largely free time for me I started playing casually one night until I just couldn't stop! These are some of the most creative and well made games I've played in a long time. The puzzles are engaging, the environments of the games are interesting (the period pieces in the second game) and a first person shooter where nothing has to die (except robots) is a welcome change of pace.

I was very impressed.
Checking it out on Steam now, thanks for the heads-up!

Quote from: Pragmier on January 09, 2013, 08:56:01 AM
The first game I was addicted to was Sword of Aragon, followed by every version of Civ. There is something charming about those old timers.

Checking it out on Steam now, thanks for the heads-up!

Hope you have a couple of days set aside. The first game is very short, but makes up for it in quality.

Falkie2013

One of my annoyances is that there are great games out there that aren't ported over to the Mac.

I guess one day I'll have to break down and buy an X Box or something.

Which is the best software to have to run pc games and apps ?

Paralels or something else ?

And I know there's a way to get Diablo 2 running on my new Mac but I can't figure out how. I never finished Diablo 2 and now my highest character is level 22. Guys are claiming that they got to level 60 in 2 weeks with millions of gps. Damned if I know how they do it. I've been playing on and off for 3 weeks now with different characters.

Just recently started getting rare items and the selling of stuff in the auction for me is having a problem. Have to call Blizzard on that.

I wish the entire Command and Conquer series had been ported over to the Mac and the ST online game won't work on Macs either.

grump

ziznak

Isnt there some sort of virtual machine-esque prog you can run on mac to play all the pc games?

McPhallus

Quote from: ziznak on January 14, 2013, 08:07:06 PM
Isnt there some sort of virtual machine-esque prog you can run on mac to play all the pc games?

If it can play anything modern, with decent framerates, that's a badass program.

onan

Quote from: ziznak on January 14, 2013, 08:07:06 PM

I think it is called bootcamp.

Pragmier

Been playing Master of Orion 2 and wow! I had forgotten how good that game is. Looks pretty decent still after 15+ years. Downloaded from GOG games and runs well on Win7/dosbox.

ziznak

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - NES Gameplay year or so I download the Indiana Jones Trilogy (crystal skulls doesn't count) and inevitably in my nostalgia I get the hankering to play one of only a few 8-bit games that I can actually still have fun playing.  "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" for the NES came out in 1988 when I was 11 and it can be blamed for many wasted hours of my time.  Even today I still can spend a good 45 mins to an hour playing although I'm not playing it on a pc NES emulator I'm actually playing it on a homebrew NES emulator that works on the Nintendo DS...

anybody else care to mention your favorite games from the days of 8bit gaming??