• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ambient, Meditation and Relaxation

Started by Zircon, August 04, 2012, 05:27:36 AM

Zircon

Being kind of a restless soul - one that would sway back and forth while holding onto the bars if in a cell - I've always looked for some kind of background environment whereby I could engage in whatever activity I was doing yet be immersed in a calming, dreamlike landscape.

Initially I found artists like Oakenfold and Van Dyk but that was trance, Electronica and often heavy base and dance. Great if you're in the mood but not always if you're into an environment without actually listening to the tune being played.

Well, I found my niche in seeking out modern ambient music. Please let me recommend some sites. They are free and the cuts last anywhere from approx. four minutes to close to a half hour. Really soothing. You can flow with the music while you read, draw or even compose a post like this one - even political.

Nirvana Radio
The Cosmic Island
Meditation Music
Peaceful Moments
Music for the Spirit

If you like the cut being played you can buy it or open up another tab and cut/past artist/music piece and get it via ytube or even MP3 if you navigate around enough to get a direct downloadable location. Liquid Mind, Deuter, Anugama and Deep Alpha are some of my favorites.

Hard to imagine a person like me with the way I deliver some of my posts - angry and swearing !!! - listens to this stuff. Helps when you pray or want to reflect on some issues important to you. Basically therapeutic. Onan might agree this is good as he seems like a mellow person who enjoys a brew and a bowling ball and taking it all in.

Zircon

Bob, thank you very much for these albums. I'm currently listening to "Cloudscapes" by Ray Dretske. Really mellow and soothing. This is perfect if and when one wants to pray. It carries you along without interfering with your thoughts. The station is on Live365 (I'm lazy and cheap it would appear). It is on "Meditation Music" out of London. Very good station. You Europeans are light years ahead of we Americans when it comes to quality music. But out of Las Vegas (Cosmic Island) is a good one here stateside. Your BBC is a pleasure to watch/read online as well as we can actually get some non-propaganda news about the world - and us occasionally - (except you folks like Obama too much).

Zircon

Well ziz, even ghouls have to shed their tension from time to time. kind of a mess ... is he performing cunnilingus or just eating her "out" - literally?

ziznak

I think a little bit of both... They have my favorite album covers... this one's a little better but a little more disturbing for some viewers. 
butchered at birth... was actually banned when it first came out...

Zircon

Certainly you had to stop and ponder over an image like this yourself. What kind of artistic mind - a talented one no less - could expend their energy on creating something so gruesome? The artist ... is he or she disturbed or in an asylum these days?

My daughter says this is a heavy metal band. You can't understand what they're saying as it is growling. People like this are really fucked up the way I see it. The kind of people this type of music appeals to ... ziz, why? What is it that you see in it or am I jumping to conclusions?

ziznak

Actually I used to be in a band like that...  :P it's Deathmetal.  An acquired taste I know.
The vocals are basically like another instrument as you are correct most of the time you can't tell what the hell dude is burping in the mic.  I still listen to the genre but not 24/7.  I'm musically quite eclectic.   Jim Carrey was a big Cannibal Corpse fan ya know!

Zircon

I highly recommend this artist: Deuter. He is German. I have included his beautiful piece of music named, "Illumination". It is a youtube site and you'll find many other cuts as well as albums you can listen to on demand just by selecting them. This is a beautiful piece of music that enables one to reflect and even to pray. It is amazing that our species, while so violent and destructive, can produce such beauty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql6RRLtSjuk&feature=player_detailpage#t=9s

ziznak

I've never actually gone out of my way to listen to the ambient stuff.  It's good background noise for certain video games as I've played a few indie roguelike's that incorporate such music.  I can see how it would aid meditation and prayer as well although I don't normally practice either.  I thought all German music was Techno and Industrial  ;).

Ok so I'm actually surprised that I listened to that whole thing... not bad i guess.  Tracks that include flutes n shit don't last very long with me but I can get where you are coming from with this....

And BTW what happened to Mr. Soul? He seems to have disappeared... I can hear a majority of posters cringing as I type this :o

Zircon

Don't know. I didn't think his ego or shell was quite so fragile. I'd like to get him back here posting as his presence seems to bring people out from their caves etc.