• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Demonoid goes down for the count!

Started by ziznak, July 27, 2012, 05:27:49 PM

ziznak

I've noticed lately that Demonoid my favorite torrent site for everything C2C especially old AB stuff has been down.  It's normal for a site like that to go down every once in a while and demonoid has had it's outages in the past so I just keep checking back.  Well today I looked around and apparently they got hit bad with some sort of double whammy DDoS attack combined with some sort of security exploit.  They don't even know exactly how bad they got hit basically!  This sux... 

http://www.zdnet.com/demonoid-hit-by-ddos-attack-7000001732/

So, while the ol green boy is getting himself together, does anybody have any suggestions for good torrent sites that offer C2C and old school AB torrentz??

McPhallus

Quote from: ziznak on July 27, 2012, 05:27:49 PM
I've noticed lately that Demonoid my favorite torrent site for everything C2C especially old AB stuff has been down.  It's normal for a site like that to go down every once in a while and demonoid has had it's outages in the past so I just keep checking back.  Well today I looked around and apparently they got hit bad with some sort of double whammy DDoS attack combined with some sort of security exploit.  They don't even know exactly how bad they got hit basically!  This sux... 

http://www.zdnet.com/demonoid-hit-by-ddos-attack-7000001732/

So, while the ol green boy is getting himself together, does anybody have any suggestions for good torrent sites that offer C2C and old school AB torrentz??

I've been using torrents.to a lot, which searches several sites, I believe.  Dunno how much Bell stuff they have (I get all I need from the Fine Art stream).

Too bad btjunkie is gone.  That used to be my go-to place for pretty much everything.

analog kid

It's going to be down for a long time. So says the maintainers of the site, and it was down for a few years the last time. Hopefully that crowd will move to TPB or kat.ph

astroguy

So, what's a good way to get ahold of the current episodes?

HAL 9000

Quote from: astroguy on August 01, 2012, 12:22:25 PMSo, what's a good way to get ahold of the current episodes?

I belong to a forum where a few people post the latest shows, but the site is closed to new members.

Since the recent outbreak of the HPV (look it up if you don't get it) brothers, I come here much less often, so I would not post links daily.

Additionally - and I don't want to sound whiney here, though I know it may come across that way - every other I forum I belong to allows editing of posts indefinitely. This allows me to start a thread of uploads for example, and as links go down or are updated, I can simply add or edit the links always in the first post. This has become somewhat of a hallmark of my posts, in that, it is always understood that all links/updates etc., will always be found in the first post - no searching through perhaps hundreds/thousands of posts to find anything; they're all in one place - always the first post. This allows for a very clean thread, with no clutter.

Just as easy, since signatures show up in every post, I could include a link to say, pastebin, which would always include an updated list of show links, but signatures are not allowed here. Our "user experience" options here seem to be about half of what they once were. Also to be clear, I'm not slamming MV - I'd like to think we can disagree without being disagreeable - but I hate cluttered threads where I can't find things easily.

May I'll start a tiny forum which is specific for c2c show links - one-stop-shopping if you will. Years ago I actually used to have one - a site which only featured c2c links.

astroguy

Quote from: HAL 9000 on August 01, 2012, 02:40:26 PM
I belong to a forum where a few people post the latest shows, but the site is closed to new members.

Since the recent outbreak of the HPV (look it up if you don't get it) brothers, I come here much less often, so I would not post links daily.

Additionally - and I don't want to sound whiney here, though I know it may come across that way - every other I forum I belong to allows editing of posts indefinitely. This allows me to start a thread of uploads for example, and as links go down or are updated, I can simply add or edit the links always in the first post. This has become somewhat of a hallmark of my posts, in that, it is always understood that all links/updates etc., will always be found in the first post - no searching through perhaps hundreds/thousands of posts to find anything; they're all in one place - always the first post. This allows for a very clean thread, with no clutter.

Just as easy, since signatures show up in every post, I could include a link to say, pastebin, which would always include an updated list of show links, but signatures are not allowed here. Our "user experience" options here seem to be about half of what they once were. Also to be clear, I'm not slamming MV - I'd like to think we can disagree without being disagreeable - but I hate cluttered threads where I can't find things easily.

May I'll start a tiny forum which is specific for c2c show links - one-stop-shopping if you will. Years ago I actually used to have one - a site which only featured c2c links.

Agree with your sentiments on editing.  Otherwise, setting up some forum where we could get current (and old) episodes would be very much appreciated.  I used to use TPB to get the current shows, then went to Demonoid, and at least for the last several months if not year or so, TPB has not had current shows posted.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: HAL 9000 on August 01, 2012, 02:40:26 PM
...every other I forum I belong to allows editing of posts indefinitely. This allows me to start a thread of uploads for example, and as links go down or are updated, I can simply add or edit the links always in the first post. This has become somewhat of a hallmark of my posts, in that, it is always understood that all links/updates etc., will always be found in the first post - no searching through perhaps hundreds/thousands of posts to find anything; they're all in one place - always the first post. This allows for a very clean thread, with no clutter.

sometimes users sanctimoniously "leave" the forum in a huff.  frequently, these angry, "outraged" people will delete as many posts as possible on their way out.  i've seen it happen many times.  years ago, coastgab's limit on editing posts was a week... so, what did upset users often do when ending their association with the forum?  they deleted every one of their posts going back exactly one week.  that's simply not an option if there exists any interest at all in protecting the forum's context and flow.  additionally, a time limit makes users think before they post, knowing their words are committed to eternity after an hour.  i just don't see any upside at all to changing the time limit (or removing it).

if you're wanting better control over the links you post, i'd recommend you use a URL shortener like tiny.cc that allows you to go back and edit what the tiny.cc URL is pointing to. that way, a posted link can always remain the same on the forum. you just have to go into the tiny.cc control panel and change what it points to. this would have the added benefit of enabling you to change it for every place you've ever posted that link... all in one step.

...but signatures are not allowed here. Our "user experience" options here seem to be about half of what they once were. Also to be clear, I'm not slamming MV - I'd like to think we can disagree without being disagreeable - but I hate cluttered threads where I can't find things easily.

the clutter is exactly why i eliminated signatures and personal text under avatars.  it just seemed so senseless to have this endlessly repeating information flowing under every post of every user no matter how valuable or worthless the information.  since the change, i don't think it's ever been easier to find what you're looking for in a thread. 

the elimination of signatures/personal text has also helped with forum SEO.  one less irrelevant nugget of random text google has to index and parse.

when i see big forum signatures with tons of links and big fat images, it just looks so 1998 to me... and i do see the irony in making that statement since the very idea of a forum its self is quite 1998, haha... but there are things one can do to modernize a forum, and i think eliminating all of that bloat was a good step.  even the avatar sometimes strikes me as a useless waste of real estate and bandwidth.

i promise you, there has been a thought process behind the elimination of any feature that seemingly should exist here.

ziznak

TPB just isn't as good for C2C especially any art stuff.  That user ack(something something something) used to post every show religiously sometime within the next day after airing.  I like TPB for movies because it's top 100 list cuts out my usual sorting when I look for new movies but the torrents for recent coast shows go by the month. 

as for the forum as it stands I like our current format.  Avy, Username, and posted message are all you really need.  If we were all graphic artists I could see sigs or if we were gamers then tech stats would make sense but we as a whole are neither.

ziznak

Quote from: BobGrau on August 01, 2012, 10:35:14 PM
this guy archives the shows the following day: http://funklobaldy.fatcow.com/2301.html
Aha yeah!!! I totally forgot about that link!  Was sitting in my favs too but I had it labeled as an old show archive.  Good look Bob!

HAL 9000

Quote from: BobGrau on August 01, 2012, 10:35:14 PMthis guy archives the shows the following day: http://funklobaldy.fatcow.com/2301.html

Most excellent - I had forgotten about that site, but now I remember; certainly no need for me to expend any energy if someone else is already doing it  :o

Quote from: HAL 9000 on August 01, 2012, 11:22:15 PM
certainly no need for me to expend any energy if someone else is already doing it

My exact words when, in 1999, I walked in on my at the time current lady-friend whilst she was pleasuring herself. I also recall adding,"No, don't stop on my account."

The ensuing days were a Technicolor® blur and soon thereafter, she achieved DEFCON STALKER and "that was all she wrote."

(TMI?)

Hope you missed me.  I'm back - and very timely it seems, to post my garish signature image which I will continue until it is completely ~punched~ to the gills. But I promise an exquisite and subtle madness in exchange for your tolerance.

[attachimg=1]

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on August 02, 2012, 01:17:06 AM
Hope you missed me.  I'm back - and very timely it seems, to post my garish signature image which I will continue until it is completely ~punched~ to the gills. But I promise an exquisite and subtle madness in exchange for your tolerance.

According to the Numbers Lady today (a 2 day) should be a very good day for my LifePath (a 4) and now I know it is true since Eddie Coyle and Camazotz Automat are both back!!!

HAL 9000

Quote from: BobGrau on August 01, 2012, 10:35:14 PMthis guy archives the shows the following day: http://funklobaldy.fatcow.com/2301.html

Great site to download individual shows, or a few shows at a time... but what if one wanted every c2c show on the site? The links are structured in such a way that direct downloads are not allowed, unless one clicks on a link with a browser... that is until now.

After spending about 20 minutes trying different tools and methods, I've perfected a way to download every show on the site with only a few clicks. They are automatically downloaded for you with no further intervention.

There are however, important considerations. Downloading only the C2C shows (2005-current) amounts to roughly 225GB - and I estimate it would take me about 4 hours to parse the data into usable downloadable links for the average Joe to use. Of course, once done, I wouldn't have to do it again, and there would be no work for you.

Of greater concern for me is, the naming convention he used is absolutely atrocious. One should never use month or partial month spellings with files that need dating, as they will never be in proper order, as computers will put April dates before January (and years should always precede dates for the same reason). Additionally, C2C shows are divided into "hours" (hour 1, hour 2, etc.) which I personally abhor. So I wrote a little program which automatically combined the four segments into one, and additionally auto-renamed the resulting files into a standard naming convention, for example:

c2c.archives.2008.04.19.mp3 (April 19, 2008)

rather than:
Coast to Coast - Apr 19 2008 - Hour 1 - Survivalism & Roget's Thesaurus.mp3
Coast to Coast - Apr 19 2008 - Hour 2 - Survivalism & Roget's Thesaurus.mp3
Coast to Coast - Apr 19 2008 - Hour 3 - Survivalism & Roget's Thesaurus.mp3
Coast to Coast - Apr 19 2008 - Hour 4 - Survivalism & Roget's Thesaurus.mp3

My preferred convention allows for all shows to be properly sorted on your computer. I additionally transcoded the mp3 at a lower, yet transparent bitrate resulting in smaller filesize.

Which is all to say, is anyone even interested in obtaining these shows? If you get them on your own, you'd have to live with the odd naming convention, though I might be able to write something which you could use post download/extraction.

I didn't do this a few years ago, or now for that matter, because I liked the show (other than the Art Bell days); rather it was because it was a challenge. I suppose if one (or a few) decided to download them all, it would guarantee a reliable archive from more than one source. I guess I need to sleep on it.

ziznak

I wish I had the space to download such a huge archive.  As it is I'm low on space do to my hoarding of Art material and stuff related to my favorite guests.  I do however like the hourly segments since I usually skip the first hour due to it normally being filled with crap and old news.  I think a more streamlined archive of all of the shows would be an asset for a site such as CG though.  That's if you want to take the time to do all of that.  I can relate to your "doing it cause you can" explanation.  These tasks though they may be tedious can be good exercise for the mind.  How much more can you compress that 200 some odd gigs?  Also, can you share what you put together to streamline the downloading?  Some sort of batch file that opens every link or something??  The geek in me (that is me) is just dying to know.
ya know when you wake up that is...
::) :P ;) ;D

HAL 9000

Quote from: HAL 9000 on August 02, 2012, 03:03:30 AMGreat site to download individual shows, or a few shows at a time... but what if one wanted every c2c show on the site? The links are structured in such a way that direct downloads are not allowed, unless one clicks on a link with a browser... that is until now.

After spending about 20 minutes trying different tools and methods, I've perfected a way to download every show on the site with only a few clicks. They are automatically downloaded for you with no further intervention.

Well, as a test, I successfully downloaded and archived the entire "Deep Archive" section of funklobaldy's site. There were 530 files, 18.3GB which is 19,574,022,774 bytes. Took ~3 hours.

He uses non-standard characters in the filenames, so I converted them... one should also never use spaces in filenames or non-standard characters such as an ampersand - most servers cannot handle these, so it won't appears properly or it will substitute an underscore. I hate underscores.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the files yet - an FTP server would be ideal, but I don't have one.

You can view the entire list of files here:
http://pastebin.com/L3JFyu1r

BobGrau

Quote from: HAL 9000 on August 02, 2012, 01:02:38 PM

Not sure what I'm going to do with the files yet - an FTP server would be ideal, but I don't have one.

Depends how bored/OCD you are, but maybe you could talk to Roy (funklbaldy) about tidying up his site for him?
Just a thought.

astroguy

Yay!  Thanks for the links, folks.  For the deep archive stuff ... hmm.  I need to go through and compare what I have with what's available.  Problem with the format that you just posted, though, Hal, is that the year is last.  So it's great that January is first, but 2002 is intermixed with 2001 with 1997 with 2003 and 2004, etc.  On my HDD, which already contains about 199.32 GB of C2C going back to 1993, I have them separated by year and then in order within that folder by year.

ziznak

Quote from: HAL 9000 on August 02, 2012, 01:02:38 PM
He uses non-standard characters in the filenames, so I converted them... one should also never use spaces in filenames or non-standard characters such as an ampersand - most servers cannot handle these, so it won't appears properly or it will substitute an underscore. I hate underscores.
I worked for a company that did HUGE paper to digital scan jobs so you are right on the money with your naming convention.  I used to make my dates and file names in an absolutely atrocious fashion until I learned a lot of the data abc's.  I never could understand what the big deal was between the ampersand and underscore.  I've always hated and I still hate underscores but out of habit I use them as spaces in longer file names.

HAL 9000

Quote from: BobGrau on August 02, 2012, 01:09:38 PMDepends how bored/OCD you are, but maybe you could talk to Roy (funklbaldy) about tidying up his site for him? Just a thought.
I'm OCD when it comes to sciences or facts, but I'm not into self-multilation ;) that would be a humungous task - it seems his layout is made for a 1999 notebook screen - very narrow. Don't get me wrong, I'm appreciative of the monster work he's done gathering files and maintaining his site, but one of the most important aspects of such a huge collection is naming convention, and unfortunately he got it wrong.

Quote from: astroguy on August 02, 2012, 06:30:51 PMFor the deep archive stuff ... hmm.  I need to go through and compare what I have with what's available.  Problem with the format that you just posted, though, Hal, is that the year is last.  So it's great that January is first, but 2002 is intermixed with 2001 with 1997 with 2003 and 2004, etc.  On my HDD, which already contains about 199.32 GB of C2C going back to 1993, I have them separated by year and then in order within that folder by year.
Right you are - I mention that very thing four posts up ^^^^

Lucky for me, I have the world's greatest file renaming utility - there is almost nothing it can't do (conversely it can do almost anything ;) ) - it even allows simple scripts for complicated procedures, but I have in my head a fairly simple work around, so I might have them all renamed a little later tonight. Just FYI, this file renamer is freeware, which is all the better. It is not updated often, as it is near perfect, and there isn't much to improve on. I'll post it along with some other favorites in the "Best Freeware" thread.

Quote from: ziznak on August 02, 2012, 06:44:57 PMI used to make my dates and file names in an absolutely atrocious fashion until I learned a lot of the data abc's.  I never could understand what the big deal was between the ampersand and underscore.  I've always hated and I still hate underscores but out of habit I use them as spaces in longer file names.
At the c2c archive above, he (unintentionally I'm sure) used two different codes for the ampersand, so most looked completely goofy in the filename itself, while others showed correctly. As for spaces, some servers can handle them, most probably do not. Most file hosting sites do not like spaces either, so underscores are substituted. My personal preference it to use a period (.) in place of a space, but somtimes dashes are OK too depending... time to get to work fixing the "Deep Archive" filenames...

ziznak

Hey Hal can you do that one click thing for the dreamland stuff? I was browsing through and found a ton of stuff I'd love to hear... as a result I currently have about ten downloads going on my DL bar in chrome.  I think I might actually be able to find a place to put all the dreamland stuff after downloading and pruning.

HAL 9000

Quote from: ziznak on August 03, 2012, 05:39:29 AMHey Hal can you do that one click thing for the dreamland stuff? I was browsing through and found a ton of stuff I'd love to hear... as a result I currently have about ten downloads going on my DL bar in chrome.  I think I might actually be able to find a place to put all the dreamland stuff after downloading and pruning.

Do you know how to use JDownloader? It would be easier for me to post the links and you download them yourself. Just FYI, I found out last night that many of his links have non-standard characters, so they will not copy to another folder - the archives will open in windows, but a bulk renamer will not work - they have to be renamed manually (there actually is a way but I'm not into taking the time).

Flashget also works - maybe other download managers. Ballgame is on, so won't be back for another 4 hours.

HAL 9000

Well, though funklobaldy's site is extraordinary for its content, his naming of files has become a challenge. I don't know what OS he used to name them (Linux? Mac?), but there are odd characters embedded in the filenames, sometimes even a backspace - this means that, while Windows can see the files correctly in Explorer, trying to use a utility to batch rename files becomes a mini-nightmare. These characters also can force download managers to incorrectly parse the URL's. However, you can rename the files individually using Explorer post-download - that is how I found out about the backspace character being embedded (I've actually used this trick before but for another purpose).

With all this in mind, I have all the Dreamland Archive links available in a plain text file. There are 139 files - however JDownloader was able to only parse 121 files, while Flashget was able to parse them all. I downloaded them all with Flashget which got all 139 files, only 3.27GB or 3,517,173,247 bytes for the entire archive.

One caveat: though it is tempting to download many files at once with a download manager, I would advise against it in this case; firstly, D/L'ing  more than 3-4 will not increase your overall throughput, but most importantly, funklobaldy's site and links do not allow downloads to resume. Therefore, if a file fails for whatever reason, it will skip to the next file to download, and you may miss a few. I'd stick to 3-4 at a time; his server maxes out at about 2MB/s anyway.

Well, here is the link to get all the Dreamland links:
http://www.rapidshare.com/files/4180592100/Dreamland.Archive.links.139.files.zip

Inside you'll find a plain text file, but you will need to PM me for the password. This is an incentive for all you GUESTS out there to register at CoastGab, and enjoy full benefits.

ziznak

Used Flashget with your list of links.  Working fine thanks HAL you are an asset to the CG community!

EDIT: just an FYI: the first six or so links are actually C2C shows and a few of them are hosted by everybody's favorite ass clown George Noory.  I also killed the Streiber stuff... his voice annoys me.

HAL 9000

Quote from: ziznak on August 03, 2012, 11:56:34 PM
Used Flashget with your list of links.  Working fine thanks HAL you are an asset to the CG community!

EDIT: just an FYI: the first six or so links are actually C2C shows and a few of them are hosted by everybody's favorite ass clown George Noory.  I also killed the Streiber stuff... his voice annoys me.

Correct-o-mundo... I just decode the raw links, so anything that's on funky's page I leave as links...

One note: I noticed two files downloaded without any extension, so I looked at their headers, and they are RAR files, so just add .rar to these and they will extract normally:

Dreamland with Art Bell - 11-26-1995 - AB Dreamland - Dr. Bruce Goldberg, LMH
Dreamland with Art Bell - xx-xx-199x - AB Dreamland - The After Life with James R. Lewis

analog kid

Someone has started uploading Coast to The Pirate Bay, for whatever that's worth.

It's a magnet link though, which utorrent has limited support for, here.

astroguy

Quote from: analog kid on August 04, 2012, 06:58:24 PM
Someone has started uploading Coast to The Pirate Bay, for whatever that's worth.

It's a magnet link though, which utorrent has limited support for, here.
Doesn't seem like they're doing anything new uploading-wise -- it's the same as before, uploading months at a time.