• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Noory Bingo

Started by ChancersAnswer, July 17, 2012, 03:30:27 PM

Hi guys!

Through reading the forum, it would be more than stating the obvious to say that many regard Noory's broadcasting style as being a shadow in comparison to Art Bell's. As someone who has not heard any of Art Bell's broadcasts as of yet, and has heard a lot worse radio than George Noory (believe it or not), I can't fully comment for myself on the matter.

However, I can offer a possible alleviation for the annoyance and disappointment felt by many disgruntled listeners on here. On a forum a few years ago, I used to do this regular bingo thread in relation to a well known spiritualist in Britain who is now regarded by many as a complete fraud. He used to come as a guest onto a radio show and do "readings" for callers. Many of these readings turned out to be a flop at best, and alongside this, he would trot out regular cliches such as "I say this with respect" and his regular message to callers from the beyond the grave, of having "a nan whose hair turned from grey to white". These regular phrases would be noted by us as the programme went on.

Given that Noory has somewhat of a repertoire for using regular phrases, lines of questioning and interviewing, I think something similar could be organised with his shows. Each member, prior to listening to a Noory show, could fill out a bingo card of 9 spaces with regular "Nooryisms" that you think he might say on the show, and then crossing the Nooryisms off the card when/if he says them on the show, with the first member to get three in a row crossed off winning. The bingo card of Nooryisms may look something like this:

Sardondi

Great idea, except Bingo depends on just one number being called at a time. With George, on any given night he could commit a dozen or more of the suggested faux pas just in his introductory remarks. Scores of folks would be screaming, "Bingo!" at the same instant all across America, and not a single one would have any of his goofs duplicated on any other card....

Yeah, I must admit, it may make for a very quick game on several occasions  :D Which is why there would probably have to be somewhat of a refinement in rules, such as only one type of goof per space. (I.E., not filling up the entire bingo card with mispronunciations) We could always tell Noory to keep the faux pas till later on in the show :D

ziznak

I'd be curious as to what you think of Art being that your hearing is currently stunted from Noory... check out the Art Bell stream for a bit and we'll see if maybe theres a chance for recovery!!
http://www.fineartstream.com/

Quote from: ziznak on July 17, 2012, 04:02:02 PM
I'd be curious as to what you think of Art being that your hearing is currently stunted from Noory... check out the Art Bell stream for a bit and we'll see if maybe theres a chance for recovery!!
http://www.fineartstream.com/

Cheers ziznak! Will do so and report to you once I've got a healthy dose!

Alright, I think you've already sold it to me, ziznak! I was listening to the stream where he was taking predictions. I was impressed by his intelligent line of questioning, especially when a caller rang up predicting a monetary and currency union in South America. (Which is strange in itself; though there hasn't yet been a South American currency, a South American equivalent of the European Union has came to fruition since then...)

Definitely great radio!

Sardondi

Now Art has his idiosyncrasies as well - he will interrupt a guest to make a point - but he obviously has a quick mind and he's well read. He pays attention to what the guest says, stays engaged and generally asks incisive, pithy questions. Since he's gone and is never to return we do tend to idolize him, it's true.

But George Noory has to be the stupidest man to sit in front of a live radio mic, and that is said with full knowledge that Larry King was on radio for years.

Morgus

Noory's studio could have a soundboard setup with a bunch of buttons, each would play one of his standard catch phrases, like "There are no coincidences"
With one of those, they could probably takes open lines callers and they wouldn't know that Noory wasn't even there live.
Maybe they already do this when Noory cuts out early on Friday nights? :D

Quote from: Sardondi on July 17, 2012, 05:09:17 PM
But George Noory has to be the stupidest man to sit in front of a live radio mic

I wouldn't quite go as far as that, Sardondi! There was once a presenter here in Britain who was so stupid, he accidentally gave his mobile/cell phone number out instead of giving the station number! I think he lasted less than 6 months on the air. (Eventually being sacked for homophobic remarks)

Juan

Quote from: Sardondi on July 17, 2012, 05:09:17 PM

But George Noory has to be the stupidest man to sit in front of a live radio mic,
You must not have ever heard Jim Bohannon.  I'll take sNoory any day.

I envy your first dip into the Art Bell stream, Chances. Wish I could go back and take the ride from the start. I really feel his best is securely bolted to '90s era, what with the X-Files, Roswell, Area 51, and the terror of Y2K bouncing around the pulp culture playground. Art belongs in that sandbox. Smoking a cigarette, installing a new antennae array, watching, waiting, KNOWING that somewhere, out on the horizon, a GLOBAL SUPERSTORM was coming. A master of totally-entertaining, full-bullshit theater, he was. Good times. 9-11 and Noory changed everything.

Sardondi

Quote from: Pahrump Up The Jam on July 17, 2012, 08:40:26 PM...Smoking a cigarette, installing a new antennae array, watching, waiting, KNOWING that somewhere, out on the horizon, a GLOBAL SUPERSTORM was coming. A master of totally-entertaining, full-bullshit theater, he was....

Yeah, Art had (has) his pet fringe theories too.

Quote from: Pahrump Up The Jam on July 17, 2012, 08:40:26 PM
I envy your first dip into the Art Bell stream, Chances. Wish I could go back and take the ride from the start. I really feel his best is securely bolted to '90s era, what with the X-Files, Roswell, Area 51, and the terror of Y2K bouncing around the pulp culture playground. Art belongs in that sandbox. Smoking a cigarette, installing a new antennae array, watching, waiting, KNOWING that somewhere, out on the horizon, a GLOBAL SUPERSTORM was coming. A master of totally-entertaining, full-bullshit theater, he was. Good times. 9-11 and Noory changed everything.

Thanks Pahrump! Wish I could share the feeling with you! As someone who is a self-professed ignoramus when it comes to many paranormal issues, I can't pretend that I'd at this point be as fully immersed into the aura of Art, as you (and others on the forum) probably were when you first started listening. But as someone who does have a flair and an interest for good quality talk-radio, I can see great merit in Art, and I can also empathise with the sense of deterioration in CTC felt by many here, as I too have been present to see other radio manifestations turn from being a bastion of interesting debate into a complete, festering dungheap.

MV/Liberace!

haaahaha, i love what you put in your center spot, "unable to pronounce a word in a sentence."  it's a sort of "free" spot since it's almost impossible not the wind up stamping that one.  nicely executed.

Quote from: MV on July 19, 2012, 06:59:41 PM
haaahaha, i love what you put in your center spot, "unable to pronounce a word in a sentence."  it's a sort of "free" spot since it's almost impossible not the wind up stamping that one.  nicely executed.

Haha, thanks MV! That's exactly the rationale I had behind it! Nicely observed!  :D