• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art, Design, Photography

Started by coaster, June 23, 2012, 08:07:07 PM

One of my mini sculptures.

Gargoyle : A Study in Gum

(As a practicing exorcist, I always chew three sticks of Juicy Fruit.)

coaster

Saw something online last night and figured I'd try to recreate it. It was a "low poly landscape". I have never done anything like this before, and I was pretty happy with the result.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: coaster on May 30, 2015, 02:07:45 AM
Saw something online last night and figured I'd try to recreate it. It was a "low poly landscape". I have never done anything like this before, and I was pretty happy with the result.

I like it! What medium are you using?

I've been into photographing roosters lately. This guy was a pro when it came to modeling.

http://ginagothejackson.smugmug.com/Pacific-Northwest-Nature/i-JWvLXWD

http://ginagothejackson.smugmug.com/Pacific-Northwest-Nature/i-stfk9fJ

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 25, 2015, 04:57:38 AM

For those unfamiliar with my humor, it wasn't gum, but a polymer clay.

But surely does look like gum when rendered in a black and white photo.

Quote from: HorrorRetro on May 30, 2015, 04:24:29 PM

I'm going to guess it's a program similar to Bryce.  ;)

coaster

I've been into photographing roosters lately. This guy was a pro when it came to modeling.

I use Cinema 4d and Photoshop.
I have a thing for roosters. I have a bunch of rooster kick knacks. Even drinking a cup of coffee out of my rooster mug right now. I'm not sure where or when I started collecting, but I think it reminds me of my childhood or something. My twin brother, who also lives in the city, recently bought chickens and ducks, so I guess it's not just me.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 30, 2015, 04:28:57 PM

oh boy, does that take me back. That was the first 3d program I ever used. Using Cinema 4d Studio now. Worth the price tag imo.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 30, 2015, 04:28:57 PM
For those unfamiliar with my humor, it wasn't gum, but a polymer clay.

But surely does look like gum when rendered in a black and white photo.

I like your little polymer clay guy. :) I tried polymer clay, but I wasn't able to do much except make some beads for jewelry. I generally fail at most art endeavors except photography. I have enough supplies to fill a craft store.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: coaster on May 30, 2015, 04:38:16 PM
I use Cinema 4d and Photoshop.
I have a thing for roosters. I have a bunch of rooster kick knacks. Even drinking a cup of coffee out of my rooster mug right now. I'm not sure where or when I started collecting, but I think it reminds me of my childhood or something. My twin borhter, who also lives in the city, recently bought chickens and ducks, so I guess it's not just me.

I have a lot of rooster decor as well. My FIL just visited last week and brought me a cool set of cast iron rooster book ends. I got into it when my daughter got chickens a few years ago. I then got my own hens and have fallen in love with hens and roosters. They are a kick to watch.

Quote from: coaster on May 30, 2015, 04:38:16 PM
oh boy, does that take me back. That was the first 3d program I ever used. Using Cinema 4d Studio now. Worth the price tag imo.

Thanks for the tip. I dabble obsessively just enough in your arena to probably justify such a price tag.

As far as roosters, I don't know if I could ever completely trust anyone who doesn't appreciate them in some way.

I've written some short stories involving a particularly menacing rooster.

We all show our appreciation for things in different ways.

I've said too much.

Quote from: HorrorRetro on May 30, 2015, 04:38:35 PM
I like your little polymer clay guy. :) I tried polymer clay, but I wasn't able to do much except make some beads for jewelry. I generally fail at most art endeavors except photography. I have enough supplies to fill a craft store.

Thanks! It goes without saying that everyone here loves your work, but I'm saying it anyway because it never hurts to remind you.

coaster

If you are into art and roosters, may I suggest Warren Kimble. I just dig his style, and his art looks good anywhere.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 30, 2015, 05:02:37 PM

Thanks! It goes without saying that everyone here loves your work, but I'm saying it anyway because it never hurts to remind you.

Thanks!  :)

albrecht

Wow! I never seen roosters in such detail. Nice work. I enjoy your stuff of the ghost ship yard and Mt.Rainer. I would love for you to take a trip over to Spokane and E.Washington and get some photos of the old buildings, old farm houses in the wheat country, the coulees, etc because I can't do them justice.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: albrecht on May 30, 2015, 08:45:46 PM
Wow! I never seen roosters in such detail. Nice work. I enjoy your stuff of the ghost ship yard and Mt.Rainer. I would love for you to take a trip over to Spokane and E.Washington and get some photos of the old buildings, old farm houses in the wheat country, the coulees, etc because I can't do them justice.

Thank you! Eastern WA is on my list. My father-in-law and friends still live in Spokane, so one weekend this summer, we'll head over there. I want to get the Palouse and the Scablands. Most people don't realize that Eastern WA is entirely different than Western WA. Western is known for its rain and greenery all year, and Eastern is more like New Mexico or Arizona in areas. The Scablands are really interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvGdASocTn0

albrecht

Quote from: HorrorRetro on May 30, 2015, 09:04:45 PM

Thank you! Eastern WA is on my list. My father-in-law and friends still live in Spokane, so one weekend this summer, we'll head over there. I want to get the Palouse and the Scablands. Most people don't realize that Eastern WA is entirely different than Western WA. Western is known for its rain and greenery all year, and Eastern is more like New Mexico or Arizona in areas. The Scablands are really interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvGdASocTn0
You could get some good stuff on the transition from wet to dry, then the coulees, hanging-valleys, etc in the scablands and abandoned houses, barns in the wheat fields. Spokane itself has some amazing old buildings from back in the day of high money; and also from the railroad hub some cool old not-so-nice buildings areas etc. It would also be a good Art Bell because the guy had a 'crazy' theory of a catastrophic earth changes to which that the establishment said 'nuts.' BUT he was vindicated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J_Harlen_Bretz
ps: keep up the good work, I love your photos.

HorrorRetro

We camped up at Mt. St. Helens this past weekend. Unfortunately, it was completely fogged over. We couldn't see the mountain at all, so I decided to point my camera down and see what I could shoot. This is my favorite shot -- a banana slug checking out a spider web. This was in a rainforested area.

http://ginagothejackson.smugmug.com/Pacific-Northwest-Nature/i-K62ppMV/A

albrecht

Quote from: HorrorRetro on May 30, 2015, 09:51:27 PM
We camped up at Mt. St. Helens this past weekend. Unfortunately, it was completely fogged over. We couldn't see the mountain at all, so I decided to point my camera down and see what I could shoot. This is my favorite shot -- a banana slug checking out a spider web. This was in a rainforested area.

http://ginagothejackson.smugmug.com/Pacific-Northwest-Nature/i-K62ppMV/A
I don't know cameras etc but amazing photo. Are you SURE you weren't camping near Mel's Hole? That could be the sheep that was lowered in and came out as a seal-like, squirming mess? (I know the sheep was at the other hole somewhere in New Mexico, I think) but...still...
ps: Wish you were around here when a family of ducks* thought my flooded yard here in Texas was a pond. (No damage, unlike others, but just a soaked yard so I'm not complaining.) Took a 'smart phone' pic but the ducklings were so camouflaged in their down and movement my settings etc so bad that I just got ma n pa duck (oddly parents of had lotsa color and ducklings are totally different (nature is so smart camo) and also that type is monogamous so explains me seeing both hustle kids away when I went out to try to get a pic) so only some blurs of the little ones. But so cool, all in a line following them despite storms and rain. I'm sure other would like to know yer type of camera, film (haha), setting, filters, etc.
*http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-bellied_Whistling-Duck/id

HorrorRetro

Quote from: albrecht on May 30, 2015, 10:05:54 PM
I'm sure other would like to know yer type of camera, film (haha), setting, filters, etc.

My current main camera is a Canon 7D Mark ii. It's a great camera for sports and birds or any kind of action shots. It can shoot 10 frames per second (not really necessary when shooting a slug lol). My settings totally depend on the lighting that is available and what/where I am shooting. I don't use any elaborate lighting. I have a Canon Speedlight for my flash. For processing, I try to keep it pretty simple -- mainly because I don't know how to use most of the features in Photoshop. I use Adobe Lightroom to adjust my exposure, contrast, coloring, etc.  Oddly enough, I just started shooting with film. I picked up a Pentax film camera for $2.00. I got some film, so we'll see what happens.

My favorite camera is a Canon 5D Mark iii. That's what I had that was stolen back in December. I will be getting another 5D after I start working again.

I was trying to teach a friend basic photography the other day via email. I told him the best thing to do was get out of auto mode. Auto mode can be okay for shooting stationary objects, but you need to be able to get into manual mode to shoot anything that's moving and even to get really good shots of stationary things. The most important part of photography is learning the exposure triangle -- aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. Equally important and often overlooked is composition. What makes this a good shot? Does it follow rule of thirds or Fibonacci's sequence? Or does it tell a good story? Many people think just picking up an expensive camera will allow them to shoot better photos. It won't. You have to put in the time to learn good photography. I'm self-taught and have been learning for years. I read about photography every single day. I get out and practice as much as I can. Some of the best photographers out there use simple, basic cameras. They just know what makes a good photo.

Photography is an expensive obsession. I went back to school so that I could get certified and start working back in healthcare just so that I can support  my habit.  :-[

Quote from: HorrorRetro on May 30, 2015, 10:36:33 PM
Photography is an expensive obsession. I went back to school so that I could get certified and start working back in healthcare just so that I can support  my habit.  :-[

One of the best examples of supporting an addiction I've ever read.

basswood

A few of the latest grub paintings:

"The grub with the blue post-modern fragmented neo-traditionalist guitar," "Piñata Larva," and "Pico de Larva."

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: HorrorRetro on May 30, 2015, 10:36:33 PM
My current main camera is a Canon 7D Mark ii. It's a great camera for sports and birds or any kind of action shots. It can shoot 10 frames per second (not really necessary when shooting a slug lol). My settings totally depend on the lighting that is available and what/where I am shooting. I don't use any elaborate lighting. I have a Canon Speedlight for my flash. For processing, I try to keep it pretty simple -- mainly because I don't know how to use most of the features in Photoshop. I use Adobe Lightroom to adjust my exposure, contrast, coloring, etc.  Oddly enough, I just started shooting with film. I picked up a Pentax film camera for $2.00. I got some film, so we'll see what happens.

My favorite camera is a Canon 5D Mark iii. That's what I had that was stolen back in December. I will be getting another 5D after I start working again.

I was trying to teach a friend basic photography the other day via email. I told him the best thing to do was get out of auto mode. Auto mode can be okay for shooting stationary objects, but you need to be able to get into manual mode to shoot anything that's moving and even to get really good shots of stationary things. The most important part of photography is learning the exposure triangle -- aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. Equally important and often overlooked is composition. What makes this a good shot? Does it follow rule of thirds or Fibonacci's sequence? Or does it tell a good story? Many people think just picking up an expensive camera will allow them to shoot better photos. It won't. You have to put in the time to learn good photography. I'm self-taught and have been learning for years. I read about photography every single day. I get out and practice as much as I can. Some of the best photographers out there use simple, basic cameras. They just know what makes a good photo.

^^^ I'd agree with pretty much all of this HR. I too am self taught; have been a press and sports tog (freelance). The basic principles are quite simple, but similar to only the top <5% of sports people make it as professionals, the best photos (subjective) are sometimes not that much better than the ten either side of that shot.

I took these in the Maldives. They were shot on a Canon EOS1n and a couple of L lenses, (film) using Fuji Reala 100ISO slide film, and scanned.. The scanned shot isn't close to the vivid chromatic variance in the slide.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 31, 2015, 12:24:04 PM

^^^ I'd agree with pretty much all of this HR. I too am self taught; have been a press and sports tog (freelance). The basic principles are quite simple, but similar to only the top <5% of sports people make it as professionals, the best photos (subjective) are sometimes not that much better than the ten either side of that shot.

I took these one in the Maldives. They were shot on a Canon EOS1n and a couple of L lenses, (film) using Fuji Reala 100ISO slide film, and scanned.. The scanned shot isn't close to the vivid chromatic variance in the slide.

Nice shots and really rich colors! I'm looking forward to seeing how my film shots turn out. I'm using Ilford Delta 400. I think that'll be good for some street shots.

PathoJen

Quote from: basswood on May 31, 2015, 04:43:32 AM

"The grub with the blue post-modern fragmented neo-traditionalist guitar," "Piñata Larva," and "Pico de Larva."
LOVE!

Quote from: basswood on May 31, 2015, 04:43:32 AM

Holy grub shots, Batman!

The guitar grub has an almost Gary Larson Far Side quality to it.

The owlish Piñata could be hanging on a wall at the Double R Diner in Twin Peaks. The grubs are not what they seem.

And the Pico grub eerily reminded me of the grave site on the Sgt. Pepper album.

These are great grubs.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: HorrorRetro on May 31, 2015, 12:42:22 PM
Nice shots and really rich colors! I'm looking forward to seeing how my film shots turn out. I'm using Ilford Delta 400. I think that'll be good for some street shots.

From memory I think it has a magenta hue, because it can be processed in colour as well as monochrome chemicals. I might have that wrong.

coaster

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 31, 2015, 12:24:04 PM

I took these in the Maldives. They were shot on a Canon EOS1n and a couple of L lenses, (film) using Fuji Reala 100ISO slide film, and scanned.. The scanned shot isn't close to the vivid chromatic variance in the slide.
Very nice. I love the one where the sun is setting. Beautiful shot.

basswood

Quote from: PathoJen on May 31, 2015, 12:51:59 PM

LOVE!

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 31, 2015, 01:00:07 PM
Holy grub shots, Batman!

The guitar grub has an almost Gary Larson Far Side quality to it.

The owlish Piñata could be hanging on a wall at the Double R Diner in Twin Peaks. The grubs are not what they seem.

And the Pico grub eerily reminded me of the grave site on the Sgt. Pepper album.

These are great grubs.

Thanks Jen, thanks Cam :)

twiki

Wow! What a thread. There are some very talented people here. Thank you for sharing.

I went into my 2011 vaults and found this "Wacky Packages" style thing I did using Bruce's famous appearance on a box of Wheaties.

With the ~trans-jenner~ topic being all the rage, this digital art seems so... so...

DATED and IRRELEVANT.

But still. Enjoy a bowl of Beasties. It's only slightly expired.

Daggit

Some of you guys should be doing this professionally.

basswood

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 25, 2015, 04:57:38 AM

Did you really make that from gum? lol

basswood

Such gorgeous animals, hard to take a bad photo of them but yours are phenomenal. Jealous. I've been keeping city chickens for about 6 years now but opt not to keep roosters for the sake of my neighbors.