• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Movies that you like

Started by Zircon, June 16, 2012, 01:25:01 PM

Zircon

I've always been a fan of those movies like "The Goonies", the "Indiana Jones" and Marvel/DC comics made into movies.

I recall back when I was around 10 or so seeing the 1953 version of "War of the Worlds", "Forbidden Planet" from 1956, "The Conquest of Space", "This Island Earth", "When Worlds Collide", "The Mysterians", "Rodan" and one of my all time favorites, "Journey to the Center of the Earth" from 1959.

Since joining Netflix I have either viewed online or had disks sent to me. Right now I have "The Last Starfighter" from 1984. Movies like this are great as the humble, teenager becomes a hero finding strength within himself he never knew he had. The true average guy becoming a hero.

Am wondering if any of you would like to share any movies that remind you of great times in your life and have that special thing in them that makes you smile, cheer and feel good about something.

ziznak

"The Last Starfighter" is a perfect 80's movie.  I remember seeing it hmmmm... back in the 80's... but there was something about the plot that, being a kid back then, I've always loved... when I was a lil shit (sonny!!) I had many a fantasy that somehow the video game I was currently playing might inevitably end up saving the world!! what a blossoming geek I was!!!

coaster

the Indiana Jones movies were great except for the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I'm a big fan of westerns, especially the dollar trilogies with Clint Eastwood.  Theres just something about the old west that I really enjoy. I also like historical movies and documentaries.  Im also a netflix subscriber, and a disappointed one at that. Unless youre a fan of b-movies, theres not much to watch there.

HorrorRetro

I'm an avid fan of the '70's made-for-TV suspense movies such as Crowhaven Farm, Bad Ronald, Duel, Don't be Afraid of the Dark, Trapped, House on Greenapple Road, The Norliss Tapes, etc.  I think a few might not be strictly MFTV movies, but they were the movies you'd see on the Saturday Night Movie of the Week on ABC or CBS.  They were suspenseful and well thought out.  Thankfully, most can be found on YouTube or other online sources.  I remember watching all these movies late at night with my grandma and grandpa.  We lived in Alaska, and we didn't have cable TV until the mid-80s, so we just had the 3 major network channels back then, ABC, CBS, & NBC. 

Other than that, I prefer the '70's disaster movies -- Earthquake, Towering Inferno, etc.

Gina

bluth co.

"snatch" directed by Guy Ritchie.

ziznak

HA I'm downloading snatch in my latest batch... got the big lebowski as well... havent seen that one in a minute

Zircon

Quote from: ziznak on June 16, 2012, 01:41:38 PM
"The Last Starfighter" is a perfect 80's movie.  I remember seeing it hmmmm... back in the 80's... but there was something about the plot that, being a kid back then, I've always loved... when I was a lil shit (sonny!!) I had many a fantasy that somehow the video game I was currently playing might inevitably end up saving the world!! what a blossoming geek I was!!!
What did you think of "Big Trouble in Little China"? I saw it yesterday on some damn cable channel and really enjoyed it once again. Liked "Egg" with the tour bus. Also liked it when one of the three super thugs blew up like a Caesar salad !!!

ziznak

Big Trouble's got Kurt Russell in it right??? I remember that from the 80's as well although I'm not sure if I would make it through a whole viewing today.

Love John Carpenter. Big trouble, the Thing, and escape from NY were three great films by Carpenter starring Kurt Russell.

Also, Carpenter's original Halloween, The Fog, and Prince of Darkness are the SHIT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

analog kid

Love all those movies from Carpenter and Russell. Great commentary from these two guys on The Thing DVD.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: HorrorRetro on June 17, 2012, 10:10:50 AM
I'm an avid fan of the '70's made-for-TV suspense movies such as .. Bad Ronald,
One of the all time great, creepy movies. I saw it on WTBS as an insomniac 12 year old on April 1, 1988 at about 3:35am. Surprised it was never remade, it's a terrific concept.

Frys Girl

Teen Wolf and Back to the Future.

Morgus

Another John Carpenter and Kurt Russell movie classic: Escape from New York
Snake Plissken - I thought you were dead?

Zircon

OK, how about these two: Bubba Hotep and Army of Darkness. Both Bruce Campbell flicks.

Morgus

Quote from: Zircon on June 18, 2012, 09:39:22 PM
OK, how about these two: Bubba Hotep and Army of Darkness. Both Bruce Campbell flicks.
Don't forget the first two Evil Dead movies featuring Ash, Army of Darkness was the third.  :D

MrMajestik

For some reason the two movies that i liked the most the first time I saw them.

"Airport". It had planes, a cute stewardess, and more planes. What was not to like!
"Dune". I don't know if I was drunk or high at the time, but when I first saw the film it just blew me away.

ziznak

Evil Deads were awesome... actually just had me an evil dead marathon a few months back

Quote from: MrMajestik on June 19, 2012, 12:48:08 AM
For some reason the two movies that i liked the most the first time I saw them.

"Airport". It had planes, a cute stewardess, and more planes. What was not to like!
"Dune". I don't know if I was drunk or high at the time, but when I first saw the film it just blew me away.

Dune, the 1984 one that Lynch directed is one of my favorite sci-fi films. It's flawed in a lot of ways. Nobody could make that book into a movie that wasn't flawed. Before lynch came onboard, Ridley Scott had tried and gave up on the film, so did Jordorowski. Jordorowski actually hired Salvatore Dali as a visual consultant. By the time Scott took over for Jordorowski, Scott had hired Giger to design the Harkonnen planet, and you can still see Giger's influence on it in Lynch's final version.

Lynch turned down George Lucas's offer to direct "Return of the Jedi" so he could make dune. In the end, lynch lost control of the final cut. The studio made a lot of changes, to the point where Lynch asked that his name be removed.

I love David Lynch's films, from Six Men Getting Sick up to Inland Empire, which I didn't dig as much as his other work because its not shot on film, which is to me a major part of the "point" of that art form: celluloid emulsions being skillfully exposed to light through a glass lens.

If you ever get the chance to watch Lynch's Pilot for the show "Twin Peaks" in a theater on film, do it. It's like liquid color being poured over the screen.

P.s. I took my username from DUNE

Sent from my iPhone

Zircon

Quote from: ziznak on June 19, 2012, 12:51:55 AM
Evil Deads were awesome... actually just had me an evil dead marathon a few months back
1985, "The Return of the Living Dead". Some chick in that flick was naked throughout her entire part. Too bad she got eaten as she was really knuckle-gnawing hot.

Majestik, Navigator ... I saw that 1984 version when it hit the theaters back in 1984. Fortunately I had read the books otherwise I'd have been totally lost. Can't condense that much material into a two hour flick. I really liked the one they did on Sci Fi Channel years later. The plot was much better laid out since it took several hours (with two hour installments) to tell the story.

Ziz, Guild, Navigator - Kurt Russell is best when he plays the swaggering, irreverent hard ass. The flicks you mentioned all fit his style best. Hard to believe he was a Micky Mouse brat at one time. But so were several others (females) with some serious problems these days. Brittney Spears and wasn't Lindsay Lohan?

Was anyone else upset with PROMETHEUS? My problem was with the characters...I DIDN'T fucking care that anyone died and the story seemed rushed. I was expecting an epic sci-fi summer movie. Oh well I guess thats hollywood these days.

onan

Quote from: PortlandDangler on June 19, 2012, 11:30:26 AM
Was anyone else upset with PROMETHEUS? My problem was with the characters...I DIDN'T fucking care that anyone died and the story seemed rushed. I was expecting an epic sci-fi summer movie. Oh well I guess thats hollywood these days.

B_dubb and I shared a pm about this movie. I went back to see it a second time to look again at some of my problems with the film.

I was bothered by some rather small things: (SPOILERS)

Why were the "engineers" trying to kill us? They knew we were from Earth. The place they had set their DNA; which we supposedly sprang from.

Why have a 40 something actor play a 100+ y/o man? There were no flashbacks to show the younger character.

What the hell was the veiled/don't-pay-attention to the rivalry between David and Meredith?

But this is a Ridley Scott movie, much more about mood than action. Take another look at the first movie in the franchise, Alien. It is slow, dark, menacing, then scary. Similar pacing in this movie. I have to agree though, like Kevin Smith said "at some point I just thought, he's a red shirt". There didn't seem to be enough development of many of the characters to care about them.

Frys Girl

I love the X-Files movie, Fight the Future. I especially like the part when Mulder is peeing outside and the informant comes up to him and says "Is that official FBI business?"

ziznak

Recently watched "into the wild" which i thought somebody had mentioned here but maybe it was the other movie thread... I landed here... Great movie!! My pop would have liked it he's always been into that survival stuff and kinda passed the bug to me.  I was a HUGE "survivorman" fan from the first pilot episodes.  The true story behind "into the wild" had me surfing around and I found this interesting article from of all places the ABC website... I wonder if people are still following in Chris McCandless's footsteps?

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=3680748&page=1

Frys Girl

Despicable Me is just awesome. I love animated movies in general, but that one is especially good.

Casablanca,The African Queen,Caine Mutany,Key Largo,To Have and Have Not,Maltese Falcon,We're No Angels,Indescreet,Citizen Kane,The Third Man,North By Northwest,Rear Curtain,Prizzi's Honor,The God Father(all),Agony and Ecstacy,
Forbidden Planet,The Day the Earth Stood Still (original),2001,Dr.Strangelove,Paths of Glory,Laurace of Arabia,The Lady Killers(original) and (remake) ,Raising Arizona,The Big Lebowski,King of Hearts,Spirit of St.Louis,High Noon, any Eastwood western, Wild Bill,Indiana Jones Movies,Apocalypse Now,Patton,12 Monkees,The Fifth Element,Quigley Down Under,Cool Hand Luke,The Sting,Slap Shot,Midnight Express,The Bridge on the River Kwai,The Wild Bunch,The Seven Samuri,The Gods must be Crazy,The Professional,The Usual Suspects,Bram Stoker's Dracula,Immortal Beloved,Blade Runner,El Mariachi and the remakes ad sequals,Bubba Ho-Tep,Army of Darkness,Marx Bros.Films,High Siera,Chicken Run,Brazil,Time Bandits,Holy Grail,Life of Brian,Baron Muchausen,Big Fish,The Producers(Original),Young Frankenstien,Soylent Green,The Ten Commandments,Topkapi,
I liked all the Lord of the Rings , all the Harry Potter , all the Men in Black and all the Die Hard.
Serenity,Pulp Fiction,Last Man Standing,Moby Dick,Arsenic and Old Lace,Notorious,Cold Mountain,Little Big Man,Empire of the Sun,Dirty Rotten Scoundrels,Soldier Tinker Taylor Spy (both versions),
Lion in Winter,Becket, and more I can't think of.I collect have made 4700 hous of VHS,have about 300 DVDs,~~~

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: bluth co. on June 17, 2012, 01:21:49 PM
"snatch" directed by Guy Ritchie.

I love "Snatch" and "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels". Real gangsters appear in both movies. I wish that Ritchie would direct a new crime film. There are so many fascinating crooks in East London.

I was not a big fan of musicals when I was a tyke. I dug "West Side Story" when I first saw it in second grade, though. Due to its inspiration, I became the leader of a school gang, and we had "rumbles" with our rivals on the playground. We were like spitball-shooting, squirtgun-wielding midget versions of the Jets and the Sharks. I had a big crush on a Mexican girl, who was my Maria. I later became friends with the leader of the other gang, a tall Irish briar. He reminded me of one of the characters in the film. This phase ended when the toughest seven-year-old boy lost a fight to a girl (his sister), and I had an existential crisis.

Sardondi

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on December 07, 2012, 02:43:33 AM
I love "Snatch" and "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels". Real gangsters appear in both movies. I wish that Ritchie would direct a new crime film. There are so many fascinating crooks in East London....

Heh. "Barry The Baptist". The first time I ever saw Lenny "The Guv'nor" McLean on screen, before he even said a word, I knew he was the real goods. Apparently acting was a late-life avocation, and he spent most of his very short span being a bouncer, bodyguard and a participant in, by his estimation, some 4,000 fights, many of which were unlicensed bareknuckle bouts. A hard man indeed.

Some of the guys in Sexy Beast also seem to be real villains. Particularly Teddy Bass's (Ian McShane) factotum, the one who said, "...there's a way - and there is a fuckin' way." I think that guy was a boxing trainer or manager. But the scariest guy in the movie, even scarier than him or even Ian McShane, is Ben Kingsley.

Now Kingsley is definitely not a scary-looking guy. Kingsley is a little guy, right? He's not physically imposing. But he's such a fantastic actor he can make me think he's a terror. Forget Gandhi; that was a cakewalk. It's his portrayal of the terrifying Don Logan in Sexy Beast that is exhibit #1 in the case to prove Kingsley one of his generation's finest actors. He comes off as such a hair-trigger psychopath in SB that it really scares me to watch him. I literally get all tensed up and tight-sphinctered (yeah, TMI, I know) when he's on screen, seeing how absolutely out of control he is. What a threatening loon he is. I mean, when a guy comes to your house and takes a long and leisurely piss everywhere in your bathroom except the toilet, that's a very clear sign that he expects you in the next 30 seconds to either try to kill him, or submit to his more powerful persona. I see him on screen and I'm ready to do my best beta-male from right where I'm sitting, just so there's no chance he's gonna come off the screen and beat me to death with my own head. What a performance.

Pragmier

Ritchie fans might wanna also check out Gangster No.1 with Malcolm McDowell, directed by Paul McGuigan. If I'm not mistaken Kingsley received an Oscar nomination for Beast and rightly so.

Sardondi

I remember that - he's the big gangster's loyal right hand man until he decides he wants to be Number 1, right? Wait, or is he the big gangster who is betrayed?