• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Nigerian Scams

Started by Frys Girl, June 04, 2012, 05:53:08 AM

texaskdog

Quote from: Sardondi on June 05, 2012, 01:03:31 PM
Here's a horror story about online prescription meds. It appears that over 10 years ago the previous holder of my telephone number ordered some hydrocodone online from a Mexican pharmacy. How do I know? Because for the last 10 years, about 2-3 times a month, EVERY MONTH, I get a call from some guy speaking almost unintelligible English, asking me to order my next "prescription". It's many different online companies, which means that when anyone ever does this, eventually their id details are sold to scores of online drug companies.

I've tried hanging up, I've explained, begged, cajoled, engaged them in fairly long conversations - if any of the pharmacies have dropped my number from their list like I begged, I didn't know about it, because I still get so many calls. I've had a few smart-asses who tred to get me to order for myself. I even strung one smart-ass, hard-sell guy through a bogus order to whatever address they had for the guy they were trying to call. At the end I said , "just put it on my card, which you've already got"...which of course came back no good, so there was never a risk of a real shipment to wherever, but at least it burned the time of the asshole who was pushing me. 

I know what you're saying: caller ID and block. But it's always some different company, and I'm sure it's hundreds of different phone numbers are used. And we do get several legitimate 800 and international calls, so I'd have to answer almost every time to make sure who's on the line. It's a pain.

The lesson here is, if you ever think you'll be clever and use a Mexican online pharmacy to get prescriptions you couldn't otherwise get, be advised you're buying a partner for life who won't let you go...or anyone who ever has your phone number.

I pay by the minute for my phone and some insurance company I got a quote from calls all the time, sometimes up to 5 times a day, and if I answer someone with the intelligence of a rock calls me "mistuh Steve" and asks me if I'm in front of a computer.  Reported them to the FTC and they have changed their # twice, so finally had to change mine.  DNC list doesn't work very well anymore. 

Sardondi

Quote from: texaskdog on June 06, 2012, 06:24:45 AM
...DNC list doesn't work very well anymore.

That's the damn truth! I get about 2x solicitation calls which violate the spirit of the DNC law than I get legit calls. Robo calls, offshore calls and even scofflaw boiler rooms calling about "cardholder services" and "polls". I particularly detest calls from the so-called prior business relationship exceptions, those companies I bought something from in the past. The DNC law specifically excludes blocking them, so they have free rein to "notify you of a great offer" or "customer service calls" to see if I'm happy and just might want to buy something else. The DNC list is now officially worthless.

Oh, as a general rule, never give up a phone number to a business unless it cannot be avoided. And you should NEVER give them your cell number. That is viewed as you giving that business permission to call you for any damn thing. Unless the business absolutely needs to be able to call me in the future, I refuse outright; or if they're dicks and say I "must" give them a number I give them a bogus one. 

McPhallus

Quote from: Sardondi on June 06, 2012, 07:38:28 PM
That's the damn truth! I get about 2x solicitation calls which violate the spirit of the DNC law than I get legit calls. Robo calls, offshore calls and even scofflaw boiler rooms calling about "cardholder services" and "polls". I particularly detest calls from the so-called prior business relationship exceptions, those companies I bought something from in the past. The DNC law specifically excludes blocking them, so they have free rein to "notify you of a great offer" or "customer service calls" to see if I'm happy and just might want to buy something else. The DNC list is now officially worthless.

Oh, as a general rule, never give up a phone number to a business unless it cannot be avoided. And you should NEVER give them your cell number. That is viewed as you giving that business permission to call you for any damn thing. Unless the business absolutely needs to be able to call me in the future, I refuse outright; or if they're dicks and say I "must" give them a number I give them a bogus one.

Unless I know the number, I always just let it ring.  If it looks weird, I just pop the number into google and can find out within a minute if it's legit or not.

Juan

I got a google phone number that I give out.  I do not connect that number to my phone - google records a message and sends it to my gmail account.  Easy to ignore.

cosmic hobo

I love hearing stories about the scammers getting scammed.

Daggit

Quote from: cosmic hobo on May 03, 2016, 08:04:07 PM
I love hearing stories about the scammers getting scammed.

There is a website dedicated to this exact thing. If I remember the name I will post it.

twiki

Quote from: Daggit on May 03, 2016, 08:22:17 PM
There is a website dedicated to this exact thing. If I remember the name I will post it.

This website is very entertaining if you're bored.

http://www.419eater.com

pate

I occasionally check my junk/spam folder, apparently yesterday I got this:

QuoteMr. Peter Perry <dev@netvigour.com>
Wed 9/16/2020 2:48 AM
IRREVOCABLE PAYMENT ORDER VIA (ATM CARD.)

Dear...

We have actually been authorized by the newly appointed United
Nation’s Secretary-General, and the governing body of the UNITED
NATION’S Monetary Unit, to investigate the unnecessary delay on
your payment, recommended and approved in your favor. During the
course of our investigation, we discovered with dismay that your
payment has been unnecessarily delayed by corrupt officials of
the Bank who are trying to divert your funds into their private
accounts.

To forestall this, security for your funds was organized in the
form of your Personal Identification Number (PIN) (ATM CARD) and
this will enable only you to have direct control over your funds
in the (ATM CARD). We will monitor this payment ourselves to
avoid the hopeless situation created by the Officials of the
bank. An irrevocable payment guarantee has been issued by the
Presidency of the United State on your payment. However, we are
happy to inform you that based on our recommendation/instructions,
your complete contract funds has been credited in your favor through (ATM CARD).

You are therefore advised to contact: MR. Paul Claxton, the
GENERAL MANAGER OPERATIONS, through the e-mail
address:claxtonpaul00@gmail.com Contact him now for the delivery
of your (ATM CARD). As soon as you establish a contact with him,
an ATM card will be issued to you immediately that you can use to
withdraw your funds in any ATM machine in any part of the world.
But, the maximum is Ten Thousand dollars per day. So if you like
to receive your funds through this means you are advised to
contact the ATM card payment center with the following
information as stated below:

(1A) HOME PHONE NUMBER:
(1B) CELL/MOBILE PHONE NUMBER:

(2) YOUR ADDRESS WHERE YOU WANT YOUR ATM CARD SENT :
(P.O BOX NOT ACCEPTABLE)

(3) YOUR AGE:

(4) CURRENT OCCUPATION:

(5) YOUR FULL NAME:

(6) YOUR MARITAL STATUS:

NOTE: WITH YOUR CORRECT AND VALID DETAILS. ALSO, BE INFORMED THAT
THE AMOUNT TO BE PAID NOW IS $4.5 MILLION.

We expect your urgent response to this email to enable us to
monitor this payment effectively, thereby, making contact with
MR. Paul Claxton, as directed to avoid further delay.

CONGRATULATIONS.
Mark Philip

I almost feel like this might be an attempted Rick Roll, so I haven't replied..

https://youtu.be/Dh-CW22axyY

Clarewhole

Quote from: Frys Girl on June 04, 2012, 05:53:08 AM
Do you know anyone who fell victim to one of these 419 scams? I can't believe anyone would be so dumb as to believe this crap, but I hear it happens a lot.

Once, I did receive a lotto e-mail and I replied that the sender should get a real job. I never heard back. It's probably an automated system, judging by how many emails they send out. I still felt glad to send that message.

Here's a new Nigerian scam: Love Scams! The video says that in Australia, 10 million bucks goes to the Nigerians each MONTH! Damn!

5 Nigerian scammers nabbed in Malaysia YouTube

one time i sent my daughter on an old cash app name i did end up in panic calling a number i found off google to try and reverse the charge and realised after i gave them passwords it was a scam i had to cancle my cash app and called the bank thankfully i realised what a retard i was before they got to my info lol

Jackstar

Quote from: Clarewhole on September 28, 2020, 10:32:52 AM
thankfully i realised what a retard i was before they got to my info lol

I like this one. This one presents with spunk and a promise. Allowed.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Jackstar on September 28, 2020, 10:35:50 AM
I like this one. This one presents with spunk and a promise. Allowed.

I'm telling you Jack, you're getting soft.

This one has no particular skills and its shit is weak.

Jackstar

Quote from: Ciardelo on September 28, 2020, 11:31:15 AM
This one has no particular skills and its shit is weak.

Hold my protein shake: now, with Colon Blowâ,,¢.