• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Facebook Sucks

Started by Marc.Knight, May 29, 2012, 06:19:28 PM

Morgus

From the Drudge Report today:

Zuckerberg Won't Sell Stock for 12 Months...

I saw a Mercedes Benz commercial talking about their latest and greatest car. A highlighted selling point was a video screen that interfaces with facebook.

This is about as important to me as an on board automobile computer that is in constant contact with Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link.

Speaking of, I wish The WELL would die already. This month some good news in that area was announced.  Owner Salon Group, said the WELL did not have "financial promise" (doah! Really?) and were again going to try to sell it.  The remaining WELL members, numbering at a little over 2,500, raised enough money to buy it and then rehired important staff that had been laid off. 

As time goes by and the members realize they are throwing money into a bleak cyberpit, I think it will FINALLY die.  Good riddance to their "parlance" and "internet history."

Some groups just try too hard to justify their existence. I don't see any GEnie members running around bragging about their history as an early BBS.

(Btw, I used to force an IBM X-chip PC to sign onto GEnie. My handle was "Ozark."  "Hey, congrats on the story, Ozark!"  "Ha Ha. Your (sic) funny, Ozark!"  "Who do you think you are, Ozark? That's not funny."  "Cthulhu is not a squid, Ozark, it is a cephalopod." ((Mein Gott the Fucking Lovecraft NERDs on GEnie.  No sense of humor at all.)) )

But this is about facebook.  Imagine twenty years from now you buy this old car that is in mint condition and the facebook icon comes up on the screen when you take it for a test drive.

How disgusting that will be. How very awful.

You'll be sitting there with your iPhone 27d, wondering how Mercedes Benz could be so short-sighted.

I hate car manufacturers who so obviously whore themselves out to the lowest common denominator:

"Look, I just bought the new SCL600 and I can talk to you on facebook anytime I want!"

I've got news for them: A video screen looks about as futuristic as a fuel pump ad display at the nearest gas station.

Meanwhile, as MB is jerking off in the corner with Zuckerberg, Google is making steady and incredible progress with self-driving cars.

MB should be ashamed of associating itself with facebook and for setting its standards SO VERY LOW. Facebook cannot WAIT to start broadcasting "buying suggestions" straight to the car dashboard. What an OnStarish bait and switch maneuver.

OnStar blows and is so technologically redundant and overpriced that I don't see HOW they manage to attract subscribers.

I could have put this post in the Annoy thread, but since this is mainly about facebook's slimy presence in a new car, I'll post it here.

Well. I guess I'll go sign in to the WELL and talk about raising corn and how to remove stains from my Corian countertops.

[attachimg=1]

MV/Liberace!

i'd never heard of "the well" so i looked it up.  wow.  what a pile of shit that place looks to be.  good luck with that, guys.

"If you compare Facebook to other social media stocks, one-by-one, you’d realize that although expensive, FB is the most attractive of the bunch. However, when making this argument in a previous article a reader didn’t neglect to remind me that, 'being the best looking waitress at Denny’s does not make you attractive' which is a fact that all investors should remember when considering the dangerous but promising social media space."

http://beta.fool.com/briannichols/2012/09/30/foolish-call-facebook/13234/

[attachimg=1]

I'm sick of seeing social media widgets on every goddamned page I visit.

Fuck programmers/web designers et al, who mindlessly shovel this shit with no thought on aesthetics, no common sense, and no respect for potential clients.

Fuck them up the ass with that giant old COBOL paper printer behemoth I used to load in data processing at the bank before Ross Perot stole our client base via First USA's buyout, so fuck Ross, too. Fuck First USA for ignoring the Oracle-based platform we were willing to install for in house credit card processing but they claimed the "learning curve" was too great for their current employees and then paid Perot Systems to handle it "out of house." Fucking greedy bastards. Fuck VISA for the tacky award we received for achieving the lowest error ratio in the COUNTRY. It looked like a trophy you'd score at a Floor Installers convention. Look where all that work got us. Straight to Perot's pocket. Glib insipid fucks.

Fuck it all. 

Fuck computers in general, while I'm at it.

Life Force sucking hell boxes contrived by misanthropic basement creepers who have no fucking idea what in the FUCK it means to . . .

to . . .

Wait... I'm sorry... Went a little Holden Caulfield on you, there.

I get these awful headaches...

(sip)

Most of all... Fuck facebook. Any way you can. Resist.

Some widget blocking tools:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/block-facebook-widgets-buttons-web/

[attachimg=1]

edit:  And because they happen to be on my mind at the moment, F U C K  Monster Cable for their petty bullshit bullying antics. Rot in a pagan Hell, Monster Cable.

(sip)

Facebook is at $31 a share now.

yodaterrell

I hate how they are trying to incorporate Facebook into everything.  What if I don't want to let my friends know that I got an achievement on COD.  I have seen some of my friends have things like that on the news feed.  So and so just got an achievement on Halo.  If anything it is annoying.  If I want to see what they have unlocked I just go on their gamer profile.  It seems like since console video-games have been trying to incorporate social networks into the games the performance has dropped considerably.  Not on all games.  I have had games take forever to load just to ask me if want to post on Facebook that I beat a level, or that I bought the game.  Or right before you start the game you see something like: "Sync this game or profile with Facebook."  Twitter is the same way.  It just seems like Facebook is ruining everything.  Kind of like what Wal-Mart did for my shopping experience. 

ItsOver

Facebook is just Big Brother's secret plan for tracking what you're up to.  He must be pretty bored with about 99.9% of it.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Lilly on February 07, 2013, 12:10:13 AM
Count me the hell in!  I hate Facebook and twitter and users of, so much I want to scream!  And the nerve of whoever, to install this shit on everything and everywhere.  It pisses me off to no end!

Say what you really mean Lilly! Stop sitting on the fence.  ;)

McPhallus

Just about every fuckin mobile app I install these days wants to be connected to Facebook.  Especially games.  I know that the people on my FB list don't care about what games I'm playing.  Why would they?  And nearly every site I'm on requiring a login wants me to sign in using my FB info.  FB seems to want hooks into *everything* I install or use when I'm online.

Quote from: yodaterrell on January 13, 2013, 11:02:23 PM
I hate how they are trying to incorporate Facebook into everything.  What if I don't want to let my friends know that I got an achievement on COD.  I have seen some of my friends have things like that on the news feed.  So and so just got an achievement on Halo.  If anything it is annoying.  If I want to see what they have unlocked I just go on their gamer profile.  It seems like since console video-games have been trying to incorporate social networks into the games the performance has dropped considerably.  Not on all games.  I have had games take forever to load just to ask me if want to post on Facebook that I beat a level, or that I bought the game.  Or right before you start the game you see something like: "Sync this game or profile with Facebook."  Twitter is the same way.  It just seems like Facebook is ruining everything.  Kind of like what Wal-Mart did for my shopping experience.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: McPhallus on February 07, 2013, 09:28:41 AM
Just about every fuckin mobile app I install these days wants to be connected to Facebook.  Especially games.  I know that the people on my FB list don't care about what games I'm playing.  Why would they?  And nearly every site I'm on requiring a login wants me to sign in using my FB info.  FB seems to want hooks into *everything* I install or use when I'm online.

This is a gigantic annoyance.  Some sites have toned it down a bit, e.g. iheartradio that used to REQUIRE FB log-in to set up favorites (I think they changed that requirement).  BING "points" now offers 25 points for FB log-in.  FB is nothing more than a F-A-D (Fat And Dumb).  In a few years it will be mostly populated by 15 year old girls who fit the F-A-D model.

slipstream

Does Facebook actually have staying power?

Juan

Quote from: slipstream on June 25, 2013, 09:17:23 AM
Does Facebook actually have staying power?
Probably for awhile.  My friends in their mid-60s to mid-70s are just discovering it.

Sardondi

Quote from: UFO Fill on June 25, 2013, 04:31:42 PM
Probably for awhile.  My friends in their mid-60s to mid-70s are just discovering it.

I'm sure it's as much my...
1) imperative to churlishness and curmudgeonliness;
2) desire to control personal information which borders on that of a hermit;
3) Luddite tendencies;

...but I've just never seen what the BFD is about FB (or My Space or whatever the predecessors were). Yes, it is undeniably a convenient and time-conserving way of informing friends and family of significant events in your life. But I see so much insignificant data on these pages. Worse are the inappropriate admissions and, for want of a better word, "oversharing" on FB that it makes me despair for these people and our society's desperate need for everyone to know everything about everybody. What is it about people that makes them chatter on about their choice of sperm donor, most recent visit for family therapy, or that inspiring Narconon meeting? It's as if they think life is an Oprah show, and people are watching reading with mixed tears of pain, joy and triumph rolling down their faces.

In a word, no. People have their own troubles. The only reason they're interested in your troubles and confessions is to feel better by comparison. So to me FB is just another great American voyeuristic exercise. I do wish people would just zip up and shut up.

onan

Forgive the broad generalization, but FB is the trailer park of conversation.

Tinfoil Hat

Sardoni, onan, I find myself in complete agreement regarding your insightful comments.

Facebook always seems like a vast wasteland to me.

I set up an account when I was told I should do so for professional reasons.  I've included no photographs and have not logged back onto my page since creating it.  I get tons of emails now from people wanting to be my "friend", including a guy who tried to make my life miserable from 7th grade through high school for reasons I never comprehended.  (He ended up going to state prison a couple of times, by the way, for drug abuse, spousal abuse, and such).  What, 30+ years went by and he thought I'd want to relive the good ol' days?  It's probably needless to actually say, but I did not accept his friendship or even acknowledge the request.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 26, 2013, 05:23:52 PM
I set up an account when I was told I should do so for professional reasons.  I've included no photographs and have not logged back onto my page since creating it.  I get tons of emails now from people wanting to be my "friend", including a guy who tried to make my life miserable from 7th grade through high school for reasons I never comprehended.  (He ended up going to state prison a couple of times, by the way, for drug abuse, spousal abuse, and such).  What, 30+ years went by and he thought I'd want to relive the good ol' days?  It's probably needless to actually say, but I did not accept his friendship or even acknowledge the request.

i haven't had a facebook account in a long time, but i ran into a lot of these when i did have one; people who fell out of contact with me and apparently failed to realize there was a reason we fell out of contact.

Facebook, and especially Myspace, were at the vanguard of what everyone called "Web 2.0".  There were about a million definitions of what "web 2.0" was, but most revolved around the idea that the internet was now ALL ABOUT YOU!  Who you are, who you know, what you do, who you do, why you do, and so on... social, social, social.  And the flushing sound you heard around the same time was the quality of online content going right down the toilet bowl.

I'm sure a lot of people here remember the time of the Netscape Navigator wheel icon, when the "internet" was a place you went to find a certain bit of information, and not a place that you projected yourself and your activities onto an unknown public audience.  I miss that time.  Hard to put the nostalgia into words, but somewhat like that feeling you get when visiting a busy city that you remember as fields and trees.

Don't get me wrong - I realize that the forum we have here is partly a product of the natural evolution of "the net", but I'd argue that Coastgab bears more resemblance to the old BBS's of the 80s, perhaps because the average age here is much higher than the net in general.  As with most things, the effort necessary to communicate tends to be directly proportional to the quality of the communication.  When we had 300 baud modems in the 80s, and had to bang our fingers on crappy keyboard for ten seconds to send "H E L L O", more time was invested per unit of intellectual content.

Fast forward to now, where we stare mindlessly at our smartphone screens and watch the idiocy updated by the second.  Both effort and value of content are now zero.

coaster

I miss the sound of a dial up modem. I for one hope it all comes crashing down. I'm intoxicated, but I think anything thats so large, and has absolutely no foundation will eventually collapse. The internet in general is one big clusterfuck of nothingness. Social media sites cannot last. Myspace was a prime example. It got so big it couldnt stand on its own, and collapsed. Now, the folks who bought that site, and lost a fortune on it, are remaking it knowing facebook will eventually fail. Its an absurd cycle of shit. It will all implode one day. /rambling

Quote from: coaster on July 02, 2013, 11:35:52 PM
I miss the sound of a dial up modem. I for one hope it all comes crashing down. I'm intoxicated, but I think anything thats so large, and has absolutely no foundation will eventually collapse. The internet in general is one big clusterfuck of nothingness. Social media sites cannot last. Myspace was a prime example. It got so big it couldnt stand on its own, and collapsed. Now, the folks who bought that site, and lost a fortune on it, are remaking it knowing facebook will eventually fail. Its an absurd cycle of shit. It will all implode one day. /rambling

It's great that you phrased it this way, as it makes me think of the supposed value all these companies will gain from social media - that buzzword of buzzwords: "Big Data". Even the data analytics folks are tired of seeing this term everywhere, because it no longer has meaning.

Anyway, I think it would be hilarious if what you describe actually happens. All these incredibly complex data sets, like purchasing behavior, social media bullshit, traffic flows, health data , population dynamics, financial markets... When linked all together, tell us absolutely NOTHING except that humans are random and do a lot of stupid shit. (Note that I mean the linkage would tell us nothing new. Data sets related to health, finances, and traffic are obviously may be useful by themselves.)

Something tells me google knows this already and just isn't telling anyone how full of digital shit we are as a species. :)

onan

I suppose the internet has become a conduit for the masses to interact socially. Much in the same way many watch the food channel to believe they are at a banquet.

I use the internet as a tool. I find the information I need. Prices, proximity, and problem solving and that is where my internet connection (except for here) stops. I get some entertainment value as well. I think it is pretty easy to avoid the social media.

In a couple more years I will be disconnecting from the web entirely. As much fun as it can be, none of it is necessary. I am finding ways to re-establish with neighborhood and friends. Walking every night, saying hello to everyone I pass, wishing them well with every wave of hand. I know it sounds slow and perhaps foolish, but I would rather make real contact with someone than facebook with them.

Quote from: onan on July 03, 2013, 04:50:52 AM
I suppose the internet has become a conduit for the masses to interact socially. Much in the same way many watch the food channel to believe they are at a banquet.

I use the internet as a tool. I find the information I need. Prices, proximity, and problem solving and that is where my internet connection (except for here) stops. I get some entertainment value as well. I think it is pretty easy to avoid the social media.

In a couple more years I will be disconnecting from the web entirely. As much fun as it can be, none of it is necessary. I am finding ways to re-establish with neighborhood and friends. Walking every night, saying hello to everyone I pass, wishing them well with every wave of hand. I know it sounds slow and perhaps foolish, but I would rather make real contact with someone than facebook with them.

Out of curiosity, is your future disconnection from the web a planned decision, or due to an anticipated change in your professional usage (such as retirement)?

I do agree that the web has become a social crutch for many, particularly the younger generation. My students sometimes succeed in talking me into joining Facebook for shits and giggles, but it never lasts  more than a few days.

coaster

Quote from: onan on July 03, 2013, 04:50:52 AM

That doesnt sound foolish at all. It sounds wonderful. Its the way life should be. Very soon I will be receiving a large amount of land in Missouri, land that has been owed to me for quite a long time,  and I plan on being off the grid completely. Never in my life have I worked so hard to have nothing at all. And I cannot wait. I look forward to slow. I anticipate it.

onan

Quote from: Flaxen Hegemony on July 03, 2013, 07:33:18 AM

Out of curiosity, is your future disconnection from the web a planned decision, or due to an anticipated change in your professional usage (such as retirement)?

I do agree that the web has become a social crutch for many, particularly the younger generation. My students sometimes succeed in talking me into joining Facebook for shits and giggles, but it never lasts  more than a few days.

Probably both.

b_dubb

i work as a web designer and developer.  i grew sick of social networking years ago when people were badgering me to start using friendster. i have no love for facebook and i'm tired of the young computer nerds who think their app is going to save humanity somehow. fucking millenial narcissists

I mostly communicate via phone, face, or the occasional forum such as this.  I hate, hate, hate email.  I don't Facebook.  I don't text, tweet, or even own a cell phone.  If I could live off-grid, I certainly would.

ManiacMatt

Quote from: coaster on July 03, 2013, 07:51:56 AM
Very soon I will be receiving a large amount of land in Missouri, land that has been owed to me for quite a long time,  and I plan on being off the grid completely. Never in my life have I worked so hard to have nothing at all. And I cannot wait. I look forward to slow. I anticipate it.

You are about to live my dream.  I'm happy for you.  I live in CA right now, but I am from the midwest.  People think I am crazy for wanting to move back.

I also experimented with facebook for awhile.  I hated it.  It was full of useless information (susan just tasted yummy cinnamon bread) and people that I don't really know wanted to friend me.  I prefer real friendships that involve actual face time and activity.  Sad thing is once I deleted my account, nobody noticed.  Not one person asked why I wasn't on it anymore.  Facebook is a phony world.

Sardondi

Quote from: ManiacMatt on July 10, 2013, 03:17:19 PM
...I also experimented with facebook for awhile.  I hated it.  It was full of useless information (susan just tasted yummy cinnamon bread) and people that I don't really know wanted to friend me.  I prefer real friendships that involve actual face time and activity.  Sad thing is once I deleted my account, nobody noticed.  Not one person asked why I wasn't on it anymore.  Facebook is a phony world.
This should be plastered on every Facebook page.

b_dubb

a major draw of facebook and other social putzworking sites is the "hey look at me factor". i'm sorry you weren't adequately praised as a child but that is NOT why we created the Internet