• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Long John Nebel

Started by Buma, March 10, 2012, 11:10:03 AM

Buma

Being in awe of Art Bell's skill as an interviewer and radio host has led me to listen to online recordings/downloads of the late Long John Nebel's show once hosted at WOR.
To date I have yet to locate a source for such recordings beyond a handful of fascinating yet poor recordings.
Any leads would be appreciated !
Thanks !

Jasmine

I too would love to hear Long John Nebel's old shows. According to radio legend, the man "had it in spades" as both host and paranormal informant.

Interesting tie-in between Nebel and Noory: a while back, on one of Snoory's shows, there was a guest who was speaking about Long John Nebel, singing his praises. The guest then got in a VERY GOOD and INTENDED jab at George when he told Snorry that Nebel was absolutely paranoid to ever take a night off from doing his radio show. George asked why this was? The guest replied that Nebel was afraid of being upstaged by any replacement host! LOL!

stevesh

Never had the chance to hear Nebel, but Bruce Williams (who often mentioned Nebel) used to say the same thing - he recorded extra shows after his live radio time because he wasn't 'going to have my replacement audition on my show'. The fact that Noory is still employed shows that he (and Nebel) didn't have anything to worry about.

Falkie2013

I've got the book about Nebel on one of my bookshelves, right next to the Art of Talk.

If Snoory ever puts out a book about his talk radio " career ", it should be called the Art of Schlock.

I used to listen to Nebel when I was a kid with a tiny radio hidden under the covers with an earphone in it

I know somewhere I saw a site that had some Nebel broadcasts on it, but there weren't many

Between Nebel, KGO, Art and a host of others I've lost so much sleep over the years listening to late night talk

Falkie2013

Quote from: Jasmine on May 09, 2012, 12:56:09 PM
I too would love to hear Long John Nebel's old shows. According to radio legend, the man "had it in spades" as both host and paranormal informant.

Interesting tie-in between Nebel and Noory: a while back, on one of Snoory's shows, there was a guest who was speaking about Long John Nebel, singing his praises. The guest then got in a VERY GOOD and INTENDED jab at George when he told Snorry that Nebel was absolutely paranoid to ever take a night off from doing his radio show. George asked why this was? The guest replied that Nebel was afraid of being upstaged by any replacement host! LOL!

I just remembered that long long ago I used to listen to Knebel on a cristal set. You could sometimes pick up stations from far away.

I once had a solar powered Zenith that picked up a New Orleans Jazz game when I was all the way up in either Washington DC or Pittsburgh.

Those Zenith radios are incredibly hard to find today and working ones even harder.

S&ARadio-The Ufo Story-Long John Nebel-Vintage Audio

[attachment deleted by admin]

Falkie2013

Quote from: Buma on March 10, 2012, 11:10:03 AM
Being in awe of Art Bell's skill as an interviewer and radio host has led me to listen to online recordings/downloads of the late Long John Nebel's show once hosted at WOR.
To date I have yet to locate a source for such recordings beyond a handful of fascinating yet poor recordings.
Any leads would be appreciated !
Thanks !

I found this and know there's more out there.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=long+john+nebel+cds+for+sale&form=APMCS1

http://www.originaloldradio.com/long_john_nebel_show_old_radio_shows_archive.html

http://www.ufotv.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=UFOTV&Product_Code=U638

http://www.originaloldradio.com/show_history_for_long_john_nebel.html

Sardondi

Quote from: Falkie2013 on February 13, 2013, 07:13:13 AM
I just remembered that long long ago I used to listen to Knebel on a cristal set. You could sometimes pick up stations from far away.
I once had a solar powered Zenith that picked up a New Orleans Jazz game when I was all the way up in either Washington DC or Pittsburgh.

I remember as a kid the magic of nighttime radio. In the 60's it was all AM, at least for me. I don't recall the details (surely there are many radio experts here who can give us the particulars), but in the 60's and maybe even today there were FCC rules which restricted the broadcast strength of radio stations in certain markets. But at sundown the handcuffs came off as I recall, and stations that were tiny and low-powered in the day suddenly boomed out hits across half the continental US. Also, some radio stations were only licensed for daytime operation; so at sundown their signal disappeared from local airwaves, which made way for weaker but listenable signals from faraway monsters.

There was WLS and WGN out of Chicago; WSM in Nashville, the "Grand Ol' Opry" station; WLW out of Cincinnati; KMOX from St. Louis; WCCO in Minneapolis; and the "underground" border station, XERB. "The X", was where "Wolfman Jack" came from. It had studios in California, but its signal actually came from Mexico and IIRC was a monster 100,000 watts. It seems like XERB had some connection to Del Rio Texas, but that just might be me crossing wires with Wolfman Jack or ZZ Top, which memorialized XERB in their song "I Heard It On The X" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSIwVFxk0jA. (Oh my, when I think of ZZ Top's "Rio Grande Mud" and "Tres Hombres" albums, I have to wonder just who the hell was playing music like that in 1975?! Original, amazing music.)

I also heard some of the great baseball broadcasters such as Harry Caray, Red Barber, Jack Buck, even Mel Allen sometimes. I can remember when I spent the night with my grandparents, I could hear the faint mumble of a baseball game hundreds of miles away as my grandfather went to sleep listening to the Reds or Cardinals. Such faraway radio in the night was indeed magic.

stevesh

I was stationed at MCAS Kaneohe in '69 and '70, working in the electronics shop. Most of our big radios were AM and we would spend nights we were on duty listening to stations from the mainland, notably WOWO in Fort Wayne, for some reason. They played music then and transmitted 50K watts (in the daytime, anyway). Almost won a Christmas ham by being the ninth caller to say 'HOHO WOWO', but it turned out the rules prohibited entrants from Hawaii or Alaska.

Quote from: 999 on May 11, 2012, 01:53:39 AM
Long John Nebel Recording (MP3):

http://tinyurl.com/NebelsUFO

If anyone wants this again let me know & I'll re-upload.

Falkie2013

Quote from: stevesh on February 13, 2013, 11:09:49 AM
I was stationed at MCAS Kaneohe in '69 and '70, working in the electronics shop. Most of our big radios were AM and we would spend nights we were on duty listening to stations from the mainland, notably WOWO in Fort Wayne, for some reason. They played music then and transmitted 50K watts (in the daytime, anyway). Almost won a Christmas ham by being the ninth caller to say 'HOHO WOWO', but it turned out the rules prohibited entrants from Hawaii or Alaska.

Here's 2 questions :

What's the furthest away station you've ever heard on your am or fm radio ?

Is that avatar William McKinley and why if it is ?

stevesh

Quote from: Falkie2013 on February 13, 2013, 11:15:44 PM

Here's 2 questions :

What's the furthest away station you've ever heard on your am or fm radio ?

Is that avatar William McKinley and why if it is ?

2. Yes, that's McKinley. I admire his positions on the gold standard and tariffs and he was a Civil War veteran. I won't vote for anyone for president who didn't serve in the military (which, sadly, suggests that my presidental voting days are over).

Sardondi

Quote from: stevesh on February 14, 2013, 11:55:40 AM

2. Yes, that's McKinley. I admire his positions on the gold standard...

I think I'd kinda like to try being crucified on that cross of gold the Democrats of the day demagogued about: getting accupuncture treatment in the recliner of trash metal and a dusting of copper hasn't worked any too well. 

highdesert

The prank videos are great. I wish there were more recordings of his WMCA shows, along with Bob Grant. Those were some of the best days of talk radio - un-screened calls and great personalities.

Falkie2013

Quote from: Sardondi on February 14, 2013, 04:24:54 PM
I think I'd kinda like to try being crucified on that cross of gold the Democrats of the day demagogued about: getting accupuncture treatment in the recliner of trash metal and a dusting of copper hasn't worked any too well.

Nixon got us off the gold standard.

Which was a mistake.

The proponents on non gold ( and silver ) backed currency have always denigrated metal based currency because they could not print worthless money endlessly as our Fed has been doing for years.

And one financial adviser denigrated gold on CTC while telling one of clients to get out of stocks, while telling the regular investor to stay in stocks.

Steve Forbes keeps pushing for a return to the gold standard in Forbes on a regular basis.

I'm now nearing the point where I can afford to buy lower priced gold coins for the first time.

I buy $ 30 a month of junk silver and some claim they regularly find silver halves when they buy rolls of half dollars from the bank. I've not gotten that lucky.

There was big talk within the last month when Germany told the Fed they wanted their gold back which was supposedly on deposit and the Fed told Germany it would take 7 years to physically return the gold to them.

WTF ?

Which led many to believe that the Fed sold off Germany's gold long ago or used it for collateral.

Falkie2013

I never know if my inbox is going to work or not so I'm publishing it here.

It's coming in the mail.

I bought a second copy of the Long John Nebel biography.

If Buma or anyone wants it, I'll send it to you for the cost of postage and a mailing envelope.

Let me know in my email.

Falkie2013@gmail.com

Juan

The link doesn't work for me.

b_dubb

Quote from: b_dubb on January 11, 2014, 10:45:30 PM
https://archive.org/details/WendyConnors-UfologyAPrimerInAudio19471964Volume12ndEdit.

There are some Long John Nebel broadcasts on this link
The forum software is stripping the period off the end of the address.  See the period at the end of the text?  But when you click on that link it sends you to that address minus the period at the end?  Add a period to the end of the address in your browser location bar and it will work. 

Juan

That, indeed, does work.  Thanks.  There are some great audio files there.  I didn't know that broadcasting's Jesus, Edward R. Murrow, did a UFO investigation.

Sorry to bump an old thread but found this old Long John broadcast that is hilarious and awesome. Listening to the 1960s perspective on paranormal subjects and this interview with a psychic who is trying to sell woo woo doo-dads. Great listen, the interview with the psychic is hilarious.

(starts at 3:05:00, full six hours!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHpzmBaJ5TQ

Ciardelo

Quote from: GuerrillaUnReal on January 12, 2021, 11:27:38 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread but found this old Long John broadcast that is hilarious and awesome. Listening to the 1960s perspective on paranormal subjects and this interview with a psychic who is trying to sell woo woo doo-dads. Great listen, the interview with the psychic is hilarious.

(starts at 3:05:00, full six hours!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHpzmBaJ5TQ

I listened to a historic LJN show with Jean Sheppard on Bart Ell's mighty KONR radio just last night! Long John Nebel is great!

The fact that RCH has the hubris (IKR?) to use LJN's opening music doesn't take away anything. ;D

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 12, 2021, 11:41:15 AM
I listened to a historic LJN show with Jean Sheppard on Bart Ell's mighty KONR radio just last night! Long John Nebel is great!

The fact that RCH has the hubris (IKR?) to use LJN's opening music doesn't take away anything. ;D

Yeah! It's too bad it's difficult to find complete broadcasts of LJN but man his show was great! It's so interesting to listen to some of C2C's precursors with LJN and Billy Goodman. Definitely one of the best OTR shows I've come across.

What impressed me is how entertaining LJN's show was considering this was more than half a century ago. It's funny I always loved RCH's intro and had no idea he lifted it in tribute to LJN.

ItsOver

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 12, 2021, 11:41:15 AM

... The fact that RCH has the hubris (IKR?) to use LJN's opening music doesn't take away anything. ;D
I didn’t know that.  Where does the LJN opening music originate?  Something LJN created or had created or borrowed from someone else?

Ciardelo

Quote from: ItsOver on January 14, 2021, 06:23:01 AM
I didn’t know that.  Where does the LJN opening music originate?  Something LJN created or had created or borrowed from someone else?

I think RCH mentioned the music on one of his early shows...maybe even the first one he did...I don't know (or remember if RCH said) where the music originally came from. I think LGN started in the 1950s so it seems pretty "progressive" but not out of the realm of possibility for somebody to make an album of that type.

Surely the internet knows...

ItsOver

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 14, 2021, 06:51:37 AM
I think RCH mentioned the music on one of his early shows...maybe even the first one he did...I don't know (or remember if RCH said) where the music originally came from. I think LGN started in the 1950s so it seems pretty "progressive" but not out of the realm of possibility for somebody to make an album of that type.

Surely the internet knows...
I did a little searching but with no success.  It almost sounds like something from the 50’s sci-fi classic “Forbidden Planet.”

Ciardelo

Quote from: ItsOver on January 14, 2021, 07:56:21 AM
I did a little searching but with no success.  It almost sounds like something from the 50’s sci-fi classic “Forbidden Planet.”

Imma go look around today here inna bit when I have some time. I didn't even consider a movie soundtrack. You might be on to something.

ItsOver

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 14, 2021, 08:07:33 AM
Imma go look around today here inna bit when I have some time. I didn't even consider a movie soundtrack. You might be on to something.
Good luck!  I’ve come up with nothing, so far.