• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Firefox Sucks

Started by MV/Liberace!, March 12, 2010, 03:00:43 PM

As a programmer, I can tell you that we never know when to quit.  Therefore software reaches a peak of perfection, and then it goes downhill as excessive features are tacked on, dragging it down with bloat. Don't be afraid to stick with classic versions.  Newer is not always better.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Marc Knight on December 22, 2010, 12:28:35 AM
Anyone try Firefox 4 Beta yet?  I'm enjoying it.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/beta/
I have heard many bad things about it, but I plan to withhold judgement until the final version ships.

James G.

I did notice on my Firefox 3.6.16 and Firefox 4 Beta -- running on 64-bit Windows 7, -- that often the text-format settings to my posts weird out. Firefox 3.6.16 is by far my primary browser, but I will try the boards with a couple of my other web browsers: Google Chrome 10.0.648.204, and Opera 11.01. I also have the current Safari and the latest, but not greatest, Internet Explorer. Also in the arsenal is Mozilla's Sea Monkey 2.0.13, but I'm not one for those "email client and web browser all-in-one apps."

After being a Macintosh user since 1985 and switching to Windows in 2009, I've just gotten used to conventionally placed menus. That's a one thing about Google Chrome that "kind of" slows me down. But If I used it more, I'd get more "used to that." But, I will say Chrome is fairly peppy and lean.

And I run the latest Java updates as they become available.
-------------------------
Sidenote: I use Firefox mainly because of its expansion capabilities. I prefer the Mozilla suite of apps, and once I used Thunderbird 3.x.x for email, I never looked back. By the way, those used to using Apple iTunes on Windows may want to try Songbird for online streaming and music playing. It also has a fairly good HTML browser built-in as well. But getting it to support flash and Silverlite are another story.

MV/Liberace!

i'm using firefox 4.0.1 and i have to say i'm liking it.  certain things that chrome screws up, firefox is doing right.  and it's as fast as it needs to be.  perhaps i'll be using chrome less.

JustOneFix

Quote from: Michael V. on April 29, 2011, 09:54:21 PM
i'm using firefox 4.0.1 and i have to say i'm liking it.  certain things that chrome screws up, firefox is doing right.  and it's as fast as it needs to be.  perhaps i'll be using chrome less.

I just updated to 4.0:1 and I like it a great deal. The full screen feature is nice too. I had 3.6:1 or whatever the hell it was but it sucked compared to the 4.0.

b_dubb

Quote from: Michael V. on April 29, 2011, 09:54:21 PM
i am also a fan of the new Firefox (4)

MV/Liberace!

for the last week i have been using firefox exclusively.  i set google chrome aside because i wanted to see how the newest firefox stacks up.  sadly, i'll be dumping firefox again, and it's likely permanent this time.  it's significantly slower than chrome, and it's soooo noticeable.  firefox totally makes your browsing experience less enjoyable.   that browser is dead, dead, dead.

MV/Liberace!

and by the way... coastgab runs about 1000x better in chrome than any other browser.

Seathasky

Seems that firefox runs better on linux and chrome on windows..just my 2 cents

klaatu

Agree on Firefox. but their add-ons can be helpful.  Allow you to save video from YouTube etc.  Also, you can save images using Flashinmany sites, otherwise not possible.  Guess we can't have everything.

I finally learned to ignore their persistent messages to upgrade. Each upgrade of FX seems to worsen the app.

b_dubb

http://mbostock.github.com/d3/talk/20110921/collision.html

load this in Chrome and then load it in Firefox.  performs a lot better in Chrome but looks better in Firefox

Quote from: b_dubb on April 24, 2012, 03:59:33 AM
http://mbostock.github.com/d3/talk/20110921/collision.html

load this in Chrome and then load it in Firefox.  performs a lot better in Chrome but looks better in Firefox

That's really neat looking in Firefox.

I haven't used Firefox much since 3.6 because my laptop refused to scroll, froze constantly and drove me crazy. I looked up the Firefox hashtag on Twitter, and there were a shedload of complaints about the same thing. I tried eliminating all the Firefox add-ons I had, which weren't much, and still no luck. Switched over to Chrome, and while my laptop still freezes from time to time, it's nothing like before and mostly it's because the laptop is getting old. I'll never go back to Firefox, which is a shame because I like the thinking behind Mozilla. I have pre-3.6 Firefox on the laptop at work, and I'll never upgrade. But for home, it's Chrome.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: UnscreenedCaller on April 24, 2012, 02:50:00 PM

I haven't used Firefox much since 3.6 because my laptop refused to scroll, froze constantly and drove me crazy.

I really like Firefox--but I dumped every version post 3.6 that I tried and have stubbornly been hanging on to this outdated version I've been running.

In the last week or so, I've gotten a couple messages from Firefox asking if I wanted to upgrade to Firefox 117 (okay, I'm exaggerating) and telling me that if I choose "No" I will soon be automatically upgraded. 

I guess I'm going to be dragged kicking and screaming into using a version that crashes, freezes, and lacks features I like from the old version. 

Morgus

i've had good results with the more recent firefox versions (currently 12.0) with Windows 7 x64.
much better than internet explorer, and firefox has tons of add-ons available.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Morgus on April 29, 2012, 05:48:36 PM
i've had good results with the more recent firefox versions (currently 12.0) with Windows 7 x64.
much better than internet explorer, and firefox has tons of add-ons available.

oh hell... regardless of anything i've said here about firefox, i'd use it ANY TIME over internet explorer.

Morgus

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on April 29, 2012, 09:06:26 PM
oh hell... regardless of anything i've said here about firefox, i'd use it ANY TIME over internet explorer.
yep. i tried to stick with IE until I tried IE9 and it wouldn't even work with my router's browser-based control panel.
Tried the latest version of FireFox and it worked fine with that and everything else I've tried.
The firefox addons I found made it do things IE could never dream of.
I even found an addon that even lets Firefox run a tab using the IE engine if needed for some IE-only website. :)

Also when I upgraded to Win7 I found Microsoft no longer had a decent email program like WinXP did (Outlook Express) - only some big bloated messed up Live stuff.
So I tried Mozilla's Thunderbird Free email program and it worked as good or better than the old Outlook Express - even reads its file format and imports from it. It too has some good free add-ons.
So now I've ditched Microsoft for both browser and email - all Mozilla now.   ;D

Very nice to switch between windows and linux and use the same browser & email either way too.

MV/Liberace!

for about 4 years i've been sending/receiving all email through the gmail interface and couldn't be happier.

Morgus

Firefox and Thunderbird sure have been getting updates extremely often, like every few weeks.
Just upped to 12.0 recently and Thunderbird got a new minor version today.

Oversoul

Quote from: Morgus on May 01, 2012, 12:25:54 AM
Firefox and Thunderbird sure have been getting updates extremely often, like every few weeks.
Just upped to 12.0 recently and Thunderbird got a new minor version today.

I used to be a user and fan of Firefox and Thunderbird years ago.  Firefox used to be quite a leading application in Internet browsing at the time.  Then, Mozilla started to lose its lead with its products, and it has never been the same as when it first entered the market and bumped off Microsoft's IE from dominance.  I've had to switch to Google Chrome since.  Too bad, because I was hoping Firefox could keep up its earlier good performance record.

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on March 12, 2010, 03:17:49 PM
okay, then.  it's not just my imagination.  firefox 3.6 really is the steaming pile of excrement i purported it to be.  i downloaded and reinstalled the version of firefox just prior to 3.6, and everything is absolutely fine.  unbelievable.  if you're having the same problem with 3.6 as i, you can get version 3.5.8 by clicking here.

I totally agree. Firefox is going the way of Noory. I switched back to IE9 last month. It is way better than Firefox at least for now and I believe that MS has solved many of their security issues with IE9. I would never get Chrome. That thing is evil and so is Google come to think of it.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on May 01, 2012, 09:56:45 AM
I totally agree. Firefox is going the way of Noory. I switched back to IE9 last month. It is way better than Firefox at least for now and I believe that MS has solved many of their security issues with IE9. I would never get Chrome. That thing is evil and so is Google come to think of it.

The Firefox decline is indicatve of a loss of scope on the part of those who design and maintain it.  What might be cool and interesting to a small group may not be appealing to the majority of users.  In this case they abandoned clean, simple and fast for clumsy, slow and fat.  They need to clean out the current builders and strip Firefox down to its main components to have a chance of regaining popularity.

Morgus

IE9 still sucks far worse from my own experience.
I installed Firefox around v10 a few months back and removed IE9.
Firefox (now up to v12) has been working better than IE for me and many more features with all the add-ons available.

b_dubb

developers keep adding features which is the exact opposite of what people want. they want simple, fast and secure. developers just want to keep their jobs

Morgus

Quote from: b_dubb on May 01, 2012, 05:20:07 PM
developers keep adding features which is the exact opposite of what people want. they want simple, fast and secure. developers just want to keep their jobs
there is only so much a browser can or should do anyway.
i like at least in firefox you can pick and choose with addons for any extra features you may want.
with ie, there was little choice in comparison.

b_dubb

They should be focused on supporting HTML 5 and forget the feature creep

Roger

Quote from: Do you think it was angels? on December 22, 2010, 01:49:17 AM
As a programmer, I can tell you that we never know when to quit.  Therefore software reaches a peak of perfection, and then it goes downhill as excessive features are tacked on, dragging it down with bloat. Don't be afraid to stick with classic versions.  Newer is not always better.

Sounds good. So . . . .  of older stuff extant, suggest what is still good, what is still functional.

Atari died today they say. Atari-Writer was . . . though inflated by an egoistic co-creator . . . amongst the best tools ever created by man and fully functional WITHOUT A MOUSE.  A tool never fully divulged or appreciated.  Bastardization wasn't perfected by ATARI people.  Today, a model scattered to the four winds perhaps, I think shall be born again.

Sardondi

I've used Firefox for more than a decade, but I do get irritated by their sneaky forced upgrades. I was very happily running a 2.x series until not too many months ago when I changed computers, damn them. Don't they realize most users far prefer familiarity to the cutting edge?

MV/Liberace!

Looking back on this thread, it's amazing to me how this one single horrid Firefox release, 3.6, totally ended my years long dependence on FF. I haven't used it since. ALL of Chrome's problems have been weeded out since I started this thread, and there's no looking back. FF is now truly dead to me.

Elflord

I never had any problems with firefox but I have problem with comodo Ice Dragon. I think that most Comodo's products are crap.

VLC is becoming big bloatware, seems like.