• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Firefox Sucks

Started by MV/Liberace!, March 12, 2010, 03:00:43 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: 999 on January 26, 2013, 11:00:27 PM
VLC is becoming big bloatware, seems like.

I dunno. In the last year or so they released a major update that has it starting up much faster than it ever did before. I'm pretty happy with it. What is it that leads you to feel that way about VLC?

ziznak

I've been having constant crashes with vlc lately

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ziznak on January 27, 2013, 01:28:18 PM
I've been having constant crashes with vlc lately

try uninstalling/reinstalling, but on uninstall, check the box to delete preferences/cache.

ziznak

Ah it was just one machine... apparently I had 1.4 or something running on it!!  The upgrade gives the option to kill the old version first and so far it seems to be fine.

Caruthers612

Yeah, I abandoned Firefox a long while ago in favor of Chrome. I was surprised when I heard the other day about Mozilla's forthcoming Firefox mobile OS, though I can understand why they want to get in the game. It's true it's open-sourced, and maybe that will turn out to give them an advantage the way Linux has benefited from the same, but competing with Android they've got their work cut out for them.

MV/Liberace!

it's been a long time since i started this thread, and things do change.  chrome has become such a bloated piece of crap on multiple machines i use daily.  i can't take it any longer.  i'm typing this message from the latest release of firefox, and i have to say, i'm already noticing a difference just in using this forum.  firefox seems waaaay snappier when loading pages, when starting up, and doesn't bring my machines to a crawl as chrome now does. 

man.  ebb and flow.

Sardondi

I went with Mozilla 6-8 years ago. I did it mostly out of resentment over the trend toward fascism (I'm just barely kidding) I saw in all Microsoft's works, particularly Internet Explorer.* I switched my browser to Firefox and I never looked back. Although I must say I resented like hell being made to abandon Firefox 2.93 or whatever ancient, wheezing piece of binary prehistory it was I used for so long just so Firefox could make me use 25.0. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

* Since that time Google has far outstripped MS as the source of ultimate evil in the universe, encapsulating as it does all of humanity's worst instincts and inherent imperatives to greed, self-aggrandizement and the crushing of anything or anyone that poses the least perceived threat to the individual human's innate goal of becoming God; and to have ultimate, unlimited power over, and to be worshiped as the Supreme Being by, all of humankind.

area51drone

I use firefox on all my machines.  The extensions are just too valuable to shift to any other browser, and the custom buttons and greasemonkey scripts I wrote work too well.  I tried Chrome but could never really get into it.  I use it only when I need to run a browser in a separate process for some reason.  I haven't touched IE in many years now.   But hey, my main work machines are still running XP, so WTF do I know?

onan

I have firefox on 2 boxes. On both of them if I close out firefox, many times, when I try to reopen firefox it says it is still running. I can't find the process in task manager to stop it, so it's a restart.

Chrome still runs well for me. but for some reason it doesn't play well with HULU.

I want to go back to XP.

area51drone

Really?  It's not listed under the processes tab?   I've had it happen to me a couple of times, but I have always seen it there.  Sometimes it's handy to kill the flash process as well, if its running that is.

Juan

It's firefox.exe on my box.

Quote from: onan on November 10, 2013, 04:55:29 AM
I have firefox on 2 boxes. On both of them if I close out firefox, many times, when I try to reopen firefox it says it is still running. I can't find the process in task manager to stop it, so it's a restart.

Chrome still runs well for me. but for some reason it doesn't play well with HULU.

I want to go back to XP.

Firefox still running problems happen to me on a ubuntu machine I have and maybe on windows xp (I forgot).
Firebug is amazing though so firefox is a must have.

Chrome for me has problems with rss feeds.

IEs main downfall is all the java incompatibility.

stevesh

I also use Firefox. I like several of the plugins, including Web Developer and FireFTP. I have had the problem onan mentioned, but almost all of the time Firefox appears under Processes. The biggest problem I have with Firefox is the incessant 'Firefox can't Find the Server' error when I click on a link. It always finds the damned server when I click on 'Try Again'.

Chrome seems sluggish to me, no matter what I'm doing with it.

I understand IE10/11 is a huge improvement over previous versions, but I'm running XP on everything too, so I can't use it.

Mastodonkey

Quote from: DanTSX on November 10, 2013, 09:49:33 AM
Use opera

Word. I've been using opera for a couple years now and it's been a great experience.

starrmtn001

I prefer Firefox.  There are the occasional burps, but the overall performance of Firefox is best on my laptop.

Sardondi

Quote from: starrmtn001 on November 10, 2013, 04:54:52 PMI prefer Firefox.  There are the occasional burps, but the overall performance of Firefox is best on my laptop.
Same here. Plus I don't have to worry about what code-bombs they're leaving in my computer in an effort to track my every waking thought.

Heh. Google: the only company evil enough to make Microsoft look good by comparison.

Catsmile

Started using Firefox in Version 1.0 Pre, it's been my default browser since.
All the extensions allowing me to surf and see the web how I want to , not how other browsers want me to surf, hooked me from day one.
Firefox has seen it's ups and downs over the years without a doubt, and I don't care for the rapid release that Firefox did to keep up with Chromes bug update schedule, it can break extensions often, assholes.  >:(
Also use Opera, IE, Chrome in that order pretty much.

Firefox can take a moment or 2 to unload on older slower machines.
My netbook  takes over 30 seconds to unload the firefox.exe *32 process, even though the Firefox window has been closed.

How to close FireFux using Task Manager in pic below.

VLC has been crashing on me lately also but also takes down the computer. When rebooting  'puter wants to do a chkdsc. Had trouble with Firefox picked up something that keeps running an install inspite of excreating off my computer reloading several times , to hell with it , new version a couple times. Still the same problem. Go to help forum, nothing seemed to work. went back to IE 9 then 10 had some problems. Went to opera. Finally IE10 settled down but still crashes about 2x a month. Have Opera, Duck Duck Go(?), Sea Monkey, Comodo (version of Chrome) I have Ixquick or startpage browsers on all of them except duck. Running W7/64

saucerlike

I can always find firefox.exe pretty easily among the other processes.  Just sort them by memory, it'll shoot right to the top (at least on mine, anyway  :P ).  My only hangup recently is the "hide the tab bar" add-on seems not to work anymore.  Especially annoying on the web sites that add their own fucking bars on the top & bottom of every page. 

Quote from: Unquenchable Angst on November 10, 2013, 06:55:34 PM
VLC has been crashing on me lately also but also takes down the computer. When rebooting  'puter wants to do a chkdsc. Had trouble with Firefox picked up something that keeps running an install inspite of excreating off my computer reloading several times , to hell with it , new version a couple times. Still the same problem. Go to help forum, nothing seemed to work. went back to IE 9 then 10 had some problems. Went to opera. Finally IE10 settled down but still crashes about 2x a month. Have Opera, Duck Duck Go(?), Sea Monkey, Comodo (version of Chrome) I have Ixquick or startpage browsers on all of them except duck. Running W7/64

switch to Media Player Classic, specifically the Combined Community Codec Pack installer.  Never used VLC again after that.

zeebo

I've been using FF for many years going back to the time when they had tabs before IE copied them.  These days I can't (as area51drone mentioned) live without all the add-ons I've grown used to.  I have grown more and more annoyed at their seemingly random and capricious user interface changes over the years.  I mean how many times have they changed the way you clear cache / delete cookies and such? 

I have tried to avoid upgrades because last time I did it broke one of my favorite add-ons that never got upgraded (some toolbar gadget).  Anyway I was on like version 17 or something for so long, but recently, Yahoo Mail, which has imho completely totally screwed up their once simple, fast, useful inteface (different story) kept demanding that I upgrade to the latest FF and after not being able to turn it off I finally gave in and upgraded FF to v25.  I think they must have jumped several numbers in there but whatever. 

Now, what did I get?  Not only another huge interface change, including burying what used to be the Enable Javascript checkbox in the friggin about:config settings because they felt it would "provide better user experience" or some junk like that.  But they friggin changed the resolution rendering to match whatever you have your windows DPI settings at, which mine are at 125% because I can't read text the size of a peppercorn. 

So, in one fell swoop, FF now has managed to pretty much hose up my entire web browsing experience.  It pretty much broke every site I frequent including this one by making them render way too friggin big with way too much white space and messing up all the fonts.  It took me like a week or two to patch things up to I can sort of read things again but it's still basically broken. 

I used to really really love FireFox, and I'm still hooked on their damn add-ons, but jeez I'm feeling the hate more and more these days.

DanTSX

Quote from: MV on December 09, 2013, 02:26:13 PM
why?

I've been using it for years on PC's.

It is faster than firefox.  Tabbed browsing is very quick.  Low resource utilization.
Lots of nice browsing and privacy features already built-in.  Good scaling options.
Easy to customize. Enough plug ins to keep most users happy.

It's nicer on a PC than a Mac, so I don't use it too much at home, but I use it at work.

wr250

Quote from: zeebo on December 09, 2013, 09:39:08 PM
I've been using FF for many years going back to the time when they had tabs before IE copied them.  These days I can't (as area51drone mentioned) live without all the add-ons I've grown used to.  I have grown more and more annoyed at their seemingly random and capricious user interface changes over the years.  I mean how many times have they changed the way you clear cache / delete cookies and such? 

I have tried to avoid upgrades because last time I did it broke one of my favorite add-ons that never got upgraded (some toolbar gadget).  Anyway I was on like version 17 or something for so long, but recently, Yahoo Mail, which has imho completely totally screwed up their once simple, fast, useful inteface (different story) kept demanding that I upgrade to the latest FF and after not being able to turn it off I finally gave in and upgraded FF to v25.  I think they must have jumped several numbers in there but whatever. 

Now, what did I get?  Not only another huge interface change, including burying what used to be the Enable Javascript checkbox in the friggin about:config settings because they felt it would "provide better user experience" or some junk like that.  But they friggin changed the resolution rendering to match whatever you have your windows DPI settings at, which mine are at 125% because I can't read text the size of a peppercorn. 

So, in one fell swoop, FF now has managed to pretty much hose up my entire web browsing experience.  It pretty much broke every site I frequent including this one by making them render way too friggin big with way too much white space and messing up all the fonts.  It took me like a week or two to patch things up to I can sort of read things again but it's still basically broken. 

I used to really really love FireFox, and I'm still hooked on their damn add-ons, but jeez I'm feeling the hate more and more these days.

ive been using google chrome, it has almost all the same addons as Firefox.

zeebo

Quote from: wr250 on December 10, 2013, 05:53:21 AM
ive been using google chrome, it has almost all the same addons as Firefox.

I honestly didn't know that, seems like chrome has improved alot since I looked last.  Will definitely check into it and thanks for the tip.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: zeebo on December 11, 2013, 09:08:23 PM
I honestly didn't know that, seems like chrome has improved alot since I looked last.  Will definitely check into it and thanks for the tip.

chrome is waaaaay better for printing.  the way it handles previews is just fantastic.  it used to be just the opposite.  if you wanted to print stuff, you used firefox as chrome was a disaster.  printing in firefox today is an insufferable pursuit.

area51drone

Who prints shit anymore?   Well, I guess I do for my business (packing slips), but I do that through a hook into IE which I think I might be running IE7 or something.   I can't remember the last time I printed anything other than work stuff, I just email myself urls or whatever if I need the info somewhere else.

MV/Liberace!

I print stuff before each podcast we do.

aldousburbank

Quote from: MV on December 15, 2013, 09:54:12 AM
I print stuff before each podcast we do.
A list of obscenities?