• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 8 Sucks

Started by Marc.Knight, March 05, 2012, 04:04:20 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Morgus on April 29, 2012, 05:54:14 PM
its best to skip every other microsoft windows major version.
history:
windows 95 was good
windows 98 not so good
windows 98se was good
windows me sucked
windows xp was good
windows vista really sucked
windows 7 is good
so predictably windows 8 will suck (its really for tablet computers anyway, not regular desktop PCs)
recommend: wait for windows 9

actually, you need to place win2k where xp is and mark win2k as good and winxp as sucked.  winxp was a total disaster until service pack 2 was released.

Morgus

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on April 29, 2012, 08:59:45 PM

actually, you need to place win2k where xp is and mark win2k as good and winxp as sucked.  winxp was a total disaster until service pack 2 was released.
i didn't count win2k because that was a different microsoft path from windows nt - separate until they combined them with the release of winxp.  ;D
and i counted winxp after the service packs that made it so good that it is still run instead of upgrading to win7 by many to this day.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Morgus on April 29, 2012, 11:32:03 PM
i didn't count win2k because that was a different microsoft path from windows nt - separate until they combined them with the release of winxp.  ;D
and i counted winxp after the service packs that made it so good that it is still run instead of upgrading to win7 by many to this day.

true about xp becoming a fine OS.  i just think you have to list win2k though.  regardless of whether it was the last of the purely NT branch, it was my sole OS for years.

Morgus

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on April 29, 2012, 11:46:00 PM
true about xp becoming a fine OS.  i just think you have to list win2k though.  regardless of whether it was the last of the purely NT branch, it was my sole OS for years.

myself i stuck with win98-se until winxp was stable since i still wanted to play some Win95-98 era games like Wing Commander III and IV.
for years i kept a dual boot system with both the latest WinXP and a separate boot partition with Win98SE.
WinXP SP3 became so stable it could even play those older games, so when I setup a new faster system I only installed WinXP Sp3.
A few months later I made a second boot partition with Windows 7 64bit and got even it to play those older games and also installed the free DOSBOX app to play even older 32bit protected mode Dos games. :)

McPhallus

I loved WC1 (barely playable on my 286), and WCIV was neat since it had cutscenes with actual video (with Mark Hamill, no less).

I've never been into the dual-booting thing. I've always preferred one OS with one large chunk of drive space.

Quote from: Morgus on April 29, 2012, 11:58:51 PM
myself i stuck with win98-se until winxp was stable since i still wanted to play some Win95-98 era games like Wing Commander III and IV.
for years i kept a dual boot system with both the latest WinXP and a separate boot partition with Win98SE.
WinXP SP3 became so stable it could even play those older games, so when I setup a new faster system I only installed WinXP Sp3.
A few months later I made a second boot partition with Windows 7 64bit and got even it to play those older games and also installed the free DOSBOX app to play even older 32bit protected mode Dos games. :)

Marc.Knight

There is so much chatter on the Internet about Windows 8 Sucks that the CoastGab thread is now on page 2 when Googled.  Knowledge of the Sucking is spreading.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: M. Knight on April 30, 2012, 07:56:48 AM
There is so much chatter on the Internet about Windows 8 Sucks that the CoastGab thread is now on page 2 when Googled.  Knowledge of the Sucking is spreading.

for a while, "windows 8 sucks" placed us at the bottom of page one.

Morgus

Quote from: McPhallus on April 30, 2012, 06:28:23 AM
I loved WC1 (barely playable on my 286), and WCIV was neat since it had cutscenes with actual video (with Mark Hamill, no less).
A few years back I found a special DVD edition of WC IV available on ebay.
It was an enhanced Windows 98 era version of the game but with high quality DVD video scenes (compared to the standard CDs low quality video) thruout the game.
All the video adds up to hours, longer than a movie.
I found online patches that allow the DVD version to play on Windows XP and even Windows 7 with modern hardware and video/audio decoders.  :)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: stevesh on May 05, 2012, 03:44:08 AM
Another reason it sucks - DVD playing will be optional at extra cost:

http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/05/04/1557239/windows-8-wont-play-dvds-unless-you-pay-for-the-media-center-pack

you'll be able to get around it by simply installing VLC.  supposedly, MS has to pay royalties for each copy of windows that includes DVD codecs.  i guess they're looking to get out from under that, which sort of makes sense considering how "ten years ago" CDs and DVDs are.  MS also says they're looking to keep the charge "in the single digits..." but, again, all you have to do is install something like VLC where the codecs are already included.

Morgus

I uninstalled Media Center from Windows 7 anyway and used an excellent free 3rd party codec pack and free Media Player Classic. Works with more types of files and more features and its all freeware thats updated frequently.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: HAL 9000 on June 29, 2012, 03:09:37 AM
I laughed all the way through this one:

http://www.killsometime.com/videos/2297/Dell-Support-Call

it was i who originally uploaded that call to ebaumsworld in 2006.  the beeps you hear were actually me whistling into a microphone and then editing them into the call, haha.  i sat right next to the agent you're listening to. 

it's a small world.

HAL 9000

Quote from: MV on June 29, 2012, 08:53:51 AMit was i who originally uploaded that call to ebaumsworld in 2006.  the beeps you hear were actually me whistling into a microphone and then editing them into the call, haha.  i sat right next to the agent you're listening to. it's a small world.

Wow - that is pretty incredible. I had wandered onto that site by accident, having never been there before. I had a choice between watching two girls in a bikini, or listening to your video.

That call is pretty fucking funny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: HAL 9000 on June 29, 2012, 09:05:04 AM
Wow - that is pretty incredible. I had wandered onto that site by accident, having never been there before. I had a choice between watching two girls in a bikini, or listening to your video.

lol, nice.  ebaumsworld paid me $100 for that audio.  the first place it was ever heard was on my podcast. between ebaumsworld and youtube, i believe it's been heard well over a million times.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: MV on June 29, 2012, 09:15:26 AM
between ebaumsworld and youtube, i believe it's been heard well over a million times.

actually, it's probably closer to 1.5 million, haha.  i just added up a few of the various uploads. 

dell deserves whatever negative image this call gives them.  their customer verification procedures are too rigorous and strict, and support agents are whipped into a state of fear over failing to ask all of the VCI questions (verification of customer information).

oh, and i had the permission of my supervisor to share this call online.  i wouldn't have done so otherwise.

MV/Liberace!

one more thing...

this call is particularly funny for me when i hear it because the agent really is as dry and emotionless as he sounds on that call.  i think his lack of emotional expression probably set the customer off more than anything.  the agent's mistake was not knowing when the VCI procedures need to be followed.  it's only necessary when you're making changes to the customer's computer, but the agent (like most of them on the floor) had this whole VCI thing so over zealously pounded into his head that he probably had no idea he could just say, "hold down the power button" without needing to get all of the customer's particulars.  not hard to see why he played it safe, though.  dell considered it to be a huuuuge deal if you failed to get that information in most cases, and failing to do so could get you fired.

MV/Liberace!

what do you guys think about the surface tablets microsoft announced a few days ago?

Microsoft Surface Keynote

they look vastly superior to any of microsoft's past tablet efforts, but again, i'm just not sure i want to run effing windows on a tablet.

google's new nexus 7 tablet looks great to me, though.  as a bonus, it's only $200.

Google Nexus 7 Tablet Jelly Bean 4.1 Android Hands on Demo Features

ziznak

I'm anti tablet until they can solve the battery life issue.  Ah how I miss the joys of tech support work

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ziznak on June 29, 2012, 10:44:04 AM
I'm anti tablet until they can solve the battery life issue.

i think that's a long way off. 

maybe the next best thing to that would be to make the exterior surface of the tablet comprised of solar collector cells which would at least offset SOME of the power consumption.  i believe there was a phone released in the last year or two which did just that.

McPhallus

Their tag line ought to be, "shit floats." it'll go over about as well as the new windows phones.  Since they just copy apple anyway, you'd at least think they'd try to be fairly efficient at it.

Quote from: MV on June 29, 2012, 09:53:05 AM
what do you guys think about the surface tablets microsoft announced a few days ago?

Microsoft Surface Keynote

they look vastly superior to any of microsoft's past tablet efforts, but again, i'm just not sure i want to run effing windows on a tablet.

google's new nexus 7 tablet looks great to me, though.  as a bonus, it's only $200.

Google Nexus 7 Tablet Jelly Bean 4.1 Android Hands on Demo Features

ziznak

Quote from: MV on June 29, 2012, 11:12:02 AM

i think that's a long way off. 

maybe the next best thing to that would be to make the exterior surface of the tablet comprised of solar collector cells which would at least offset SOME of the power consumption.  i believe there was a phone released in the last year or two which did just that.
there's this solar backpack that charges everything out which is pretty cool.  Solar panels are kinda expensive but you might be on to a great idea there.  If they could make a tablet that could charge up faster than it ate power that would be wonderful.  I really like to clack away on keys tho. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ziznak on June 29, 2012, 12:20:46 PM
I really like to clack away on keys tho.

me too.  i think it's just silly when people suggest the desktop/laptop pc is dead.

McPhallus

Quote from: ziznak on June 29, 2012, 10:44:04 AM
I'm anti tablet until they can solve the battery life issue.  Ah how I miss the joys of tech support work

iPad 2/3 get 10 hours, which is likely better than your notebook.

ziznak

If there is an "i" in front of it's name I'm not buying it or dealing with any of the associated software

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ziznak on June 30, 2012, 12:29:03 AM
If there is an "i" in front of it's name I'm not buying it or dealing with any of the associated software

that's how i feel.  i think android is at parity now with iOS, and surpasses it in many ways.  many of the major features introduced into iOS in the last year have existed in android for a long time, like cloud sync and proper notifications.  i have no desire to become attached to apple's ecosystem.

analog kid

Quote from: MV on June 30, 2012, 01:58:31 AM

that's how i feel.  i think android is at parity now with iOS, and surpasses it in many ways.  many of the major features introduced into iOS in the last year have existed in android for a long time, like cloud sync and proper notifications.  i have no desire to become attached to apple's ecosystem.

It's shit like this that makes Apple deserving of that sentiment.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: analog kid on June 30, 2012, 11:20:35 AM
It's shit like this that makes Apple deserving of that sentiment.

when you can't compete, litigate.