• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

brother coaster, valid questions. Think most of wrestling fans started when they were young. I was 17 in 1999 when wrestling hit it's peak rating rise. My friends were getting together to watch it and have parties, etc and I tagged along for the good times. it was The Rock who got my attention. Just a fringe fan who enjoyed the insults and quick matches, the whole tomfoolery of it all. As I got into college I met more intense fans and I learned to appreciate the inner workings much more. Over time (like why we are still here on bellgab) I was more interested in the backstage atmosphere, as well as understanding that even though it's a work, two guys still have to go out there and trust each other with their bodies to perform and give the crowd a show.

I learned to appreciate the lesser known guys were the harder workers and better overall "wrestlers" like Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit. Like hockey, you have to experience an event live to appreciate the work involved. Bryan Danielson and CM Punk and Aj Styles were wrestling hour long classics all over the US, but not on TV so you had to go online to follow the real talent. Thus enter the world of wrestling forums.

With all that being said, wrestling sucks now. I follow it more on an audio level and reading the main wrestling forum, to hear people complain about how shit it is, what should be done, "remember back in the day"... etc. I don't sit and watch any wrestling on TV anymore, just an hour a week NXT show (kind of like Minors WWE) on the computer with my sons.

The funny thing is, there are many similarities with wrestling and it's fans and Art Bell/Bellgab. We're fans of the backstage, and that's where the real entertainment is.

real wrestling is legit, and my HS was a powerhouse. Many in football also did wrestling, but it coincided with basketball so I never attempted to get my ass kicked there.

the little guys are tough fuckers, and I'd put money on them in a fight against some big untrained dudes any day

albrecht

Quote from: Crash Folly on February 27, 2016, 07:58:04 PM
brother coaster, valid questions. Think most of wrestling fans started when they were young. I was 17 in 1999 when wrestling hit it's peak rating rise. My friends were getting together to watch it and have parties, etc and I tagged along for the good times. it was The Rock who got my attention. Just a fringe fan who enjoyed the insults and quick matches, the whole tomfoolery of it all. As I got into college I met more intense fans and I learned to appreciate the inner workings much more. Over time (like why we are still here on bellgab) I was more interested in the backstage atmosphere, as well as understanding that even though it's a work, two guys still have to go out there and trust each other with their bodies to perform and give the crowd a show.

I learned to appreciate the lesser known guys were the harder workers and better overall "wrestlers" like Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit. Like hockey, you have to experience an event live to appreciate the work involved. Bryan Danielson and CM Punk and Aj Styles were wrestling hour long classics all over the US, but not on TV so you had to go online to follow the real talent. Thus enter the world of wrestling forums.

With all that being said, wrestling sucks now. I follow it more on an audio level and reading the main wrestling forum, to hear people complain about how shit it is, what should be done, "remember back in the day"... etc. I don't sit and watch any wrestling on TV anymore, just an hour a week NXT show (kind of like Minors WWE) on the computer with my sons.

The funny thing is, there are many similarities with wrestling and it's fans and Art Bell/Bellgab. We're fans of the backstage, and that's where the real entertainment is.
Personally I think it was the consolidation that did it in. Yeah, it made more money and now probably the best orchestrated sport entertainment out there (even above NFL) but the old days with different circuits meant better stuff and more fun (for audiences and wrasslers.) Now they are like other athletes and under the microscope, big money, etc. No time for all the old stuff of crazy antics, drinking bouts, and wilder times. And also it seems, from what I can see in commercials, all about fireworks and rock music. And political correctness, I'm guessing, has worked its way in. No more "mysterious evil Chinamen" troupe, evil Commies, savages "found" somewhere, insane people, bad Muslims, evil Millionaires, demented Nazis, and various specialties based on their purported ethnicity (Polish hammers, Indian whip, etc etc) and what not.
ps: I know real wresting is hard, hard sport. As is the professional- but for other reasons (many bouts, large weight, travel, etc.)

coaster

Quote from: Crash Folly on February 27, 2016, 07:58:04 PM
Like hockey, you have to experience an event live to appreciate the work involved.
Well, I did go to one wrestling event live, but I was just a kid and I guess I didn't get wrapped up in the excitement. My father used to manage the airport, and got tickets to various events. He thought it would be fun for my twin brother and I. I think it was WWF (?) at the time. I had to be ten or younger. I remember we were in the front row along where the wrestlers come out, right by the ring. One wrestler came out and ran up to me, placed his hand on my head and bopped it, and then did a spin or something before running into the ring. Later on my father told me his name was Texas Tornado or Texas Twister. I don't know.  I remember one guy because he was so big. Warlock or Wizard. Hell, it escapes me.
I always liked football though. Even at a young age when I didn't know what was going on, I still loved watching it. Different strokes for different folks. It's all entertainment I guess.
edit- just looked it up. it was this guy. looks like he died a couple years later. I was figuring it was 90-91 when I saw him.
he did go by texas tornado https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Von_Erich

coaster

is there a way to find out where these wwf events were held? I'd like to find out what date it was, and if that was the guy.

coaster

I found it. I'm just that bored. I thought Warlock or Wizard. It was Warlord. Close. Right on the money about my age and date too. ten years old. I guess my memory is not that bad.
WWF @ Lincoln, NE - Pershing Auditorium - June 7, 1991 (4,100)
Kerry Von Erich fought the Warlord to a double count-out
Ricky Steamboat defeated the Brooklyn Brawler
Bushwhacker Luke defeated Kato
Jim Duggan defeated Col. Mustafa
Ted Dibiase defeated Virgil
Earthquake defeated Jake Roberts via disqualification
The Ultimate Warrior defeated the Undertaker via disqualification
http://www.thehistoryofwwe.com/91.htm

albrecht

Quote from: coaster on February 27, 2016, 08:31:40 PM
I found it. I'm just that bored. I thought Warlock or Wizard. It was Warlord. Close. Right on the money about my age and date too. ten years old. I guess my memory is not that bad.
WWF @ Lincoln, NE - Pershing Auditorium - June 7, 1991 (4,100)
Kerry Von Erich fought the Warlord to a double count-out
Ricky Steamboat defeated the Brooklyn Brawler
Bushwhacker Luke defeated Kato
Jim Duggan defeated Col. Mustafa
Ted Dibiase defeated Virgil
Earthquake defeated Jake Roberts via disqualification
The Ultimate Warrior defeated the Undertaker via disqualification
http://www.thehistoryofwwe.com/91.htm
Wow. Those look like some interesting match-ups! Funny you could find. Though after my time as a wrasslin fan I recall Virgil was formerly Ted Dibiase's valet-- so a grudge match! Several of the other guys are legends in the squared circle. Can't believe a 10year old wouldn't like but to each his own. Funny that there are lists of this stuff because the same matches often would happen at different arenas but this was during the consolidated era.

coaster

ok, so this is kind of cool. I just typed in the date in youtube and found footage. I'm going to watch the matches and see if I can catch myself on video. Wow, that would be weird seeing me at ten years old on youtube. Not so bored now.

GravitySucks

Quote from: coaster on February 27, 2016, 08:38:50 PM
ok, so this is kind of cool. I just typed in the date in youtube and found footage. I'm going to watch the matches and see if I can catch myself on video. Wow, that would be weird seeing me at ten years old on youtube. Not so bored now.

coaster, were you living in Lincoln, or Omaha at the time?

coaster

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 27, 2016, 08:39:44 PM
Lincoln. I've been here since I was five or so.

albrecht

Quote from: coaster on February 27, 2016, 08:38:50 PM
Good luck! That would be awesome! Ha. Maybe you'll find you liked it more than you thought. Good luck. See there is always a cure for boredom, youtubes. Better than closet or garage cleaning....

coaster

Quote from: albrecht on February 27, 2016, 08:36:23 PM
Wow. Those look like some interesting match-ups! Funny you could find. Though after my time as a wrasslin fan I recall Virgil was formerly Ted Dibiase's valet-- so a grudge match! Several of the other guys are legends in the squared circle. Can't believe a 10year old wouldn't like but to each his own. Funny that there are lists of this stuff because the same matches often would happen at different arenas but this was during the consolidated era.
I can see why they would like it actually. I was a weird kid. More into nature and reading and shit. Little introvert.

GravitySucks

Quote from: coaster on February 27, 2016, 08:41:48 PM
Lincoln. I've been here since I was five or so.

I used to live in LaVista when I was stationed at Offutt. I left there in 82 though. I stayed a Nebraska fan for a long time, but now my daughter is an Aggie.

albrecht

Quote from: coaster on February 27, 2016, 08:42:57 PM
I can see why they would like it actually. I was a weird kid. More into nature and reading and shit. Little introvert.
All kids are weird, especially when looked at by adults or even an adult looking back at yourself. But that's whats cool about them, or being them back when! I hope you can find your self in the wrasslin crowd. That would be epic.

It is a little sad, or weird, that for the past, I guess half a decade, maybe more, everything is now documented, and now online, in a person's life, often by themselves. Never to go a way or just later be found later in a shoebox or relatives album etc. For good or ill. Though I'm happy some of my stuff wasn't documented- especially HS and college days.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 27, 2016, 08:39:44 PM
Huskers were always good folks and friendly- although for a time they had that weird county scholarship deal (supposedly at least) to gain them great recruiting advantages. Aggies? Grrrr. I want the game again though every Turkey Day (or anytime even,) even if we are in a crazy-place FB-wise these days. Making money hand-over-fist, raising prices for everything, and sucking.

delanee

Quote from: PKaiser on February 26, 2016, 06:01:44 PM
Art, I too cancelled just last week because I wanted to hear you, not anyone else, sorry. This is now the second time I have had to cancel a subscription because you bailed. Your politics have nothing to do with it.

I kept my subscription to MITD for one month after Art left.  No offense to Heather, but I don't have a bit of interest in listening to the show without Art.  Art kind of presented Heather to us like we had no choice.  Well, I get to make my own choice about who I listen to on the radio and who I vote for in the election.  I'm still a fan of Art's classic shows and I listen to at least one of those nearly every day.  But, frankly, I think Art's past it now.  The more he posts on here and FB, the more distance he's putting between himself and the ordinary people who use to listen (maybe not the weird Art groupies who post on FB and give me the creeps).  I'm sick of Art's drama.  But I never get tired of you Bellgabbers.

coaster

I am a huge Husker fan, and now that Pelini is gone and Reilly has a season under his belt, next season is looking great. We have some new hires that are pretty exciting.
So I watched the 1991 match twice, the one with undertaker and ultimate warrior, from two different videos and I can't really see anything because evidently they filmed with potatoes back then. I saw two kids sitting next to each other that sort of looked like us, but it wasn't the right seat. I can't find a video with the texas tornado match. Surely I'd be in that one.
Ah well. All of this made me feel old as hell btw.

Quote from: delanee on February 27, 2016, 09:16:18 PM
...  The more he posts on here and FB, the more distance he's putting between himself and the ordinary people who use to listen ... I'm sick of Art's drama...

Yep

Art Bell

...  The more he posts on here and FB, the more distance he's putting between himself and the ordinary people who use to listen ... I'm sick of Art's drama...

Yup, I'am sick of it myself, the guy should get a life!

GravitySucks

Quote from: Art Bell on February 27, 2016, 10:54:01 PM

First you should tell us th oujia board story 😎

Uncle Duke

Quote from: coaster on February 27, 2016, 06:13:02 PM
Honest question and I'm not trying to make fun here.. I assume you're an adult right? Are you talking about real wrestling or that stuff on tv? What is it that grown men find so appealing about wrestling?  I just find it odd why someone would watch guys fight in scripted wrestling matches. Seems weird. Is there something fun about it that I fail to see? let me know.

It's ironic, but just a few days ago I sent PMs to a couple 'gabbers (including DarkPenguiN) drawing an analogy between pro wrestling from back in the day and Bellgab today. Feuds rotated between various pairs of wrestlers as a function of seemingly unrelated contrived events, with the individual wrestlers going back and forth between being good guys and bad guys depending on the story lines  Sound familiar?  (Redacted), once one of the forum's gentry, is now criticized unmercifully and pretty much persona non grata.  And how about DarKPenguiN?  The bird has gone from one of the most reviled 'gabbers ever (not a judgement, an observation), now he's seen as a voice of reason on any number of threads.  I could name others, and identify some feuds over the years, but I think you get my drift.

Whatever floats your boat, brother

littlechris

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 27, 2016, 10:56:02 PM
First you should tell us th oujia board story 😎

^^^Yeah Art!!^^^

PLEAAASEEE!!   :)

GravitySucks

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 27, 2016, 10:56:06 PM
It's ironic, but just a few days ago I sent PMs to a couple 'gabbers (including DarkPenguiN) drawing an analogy between pro wrestling from back in the day and Bellgab today. Feuds rotated between various pairs of wrestlers as a function of seemingly unrelated contrived events, with the individual wrestlers going back and forth between being good guys and bad guys depending on the story lines  Sound familiar?  (Redacted), once one of the forum's gentry, now criticized unmercifully and pretty much persona non grata.  And how about DarKPenguiN?  The bird has gone from one of the most reviled 'gabbers ever (not a judgement, an observation), now he's seen as a voice of reason on any number of threads.  I could name others, and identify some feuds over the years, but I think you get my drift.

He simmered down once we found his mugshot.

albrecht

Ha! Are you listening to Somewhere In Time right now? Caught it just now and they are still playing you. Ugh. Well, good, cause good stuff. But wish you got residuals or something. Or comeback, again. Even just for a more "Dreamland" like non-caller, pre-recorded podcast.

Robert

Quote from: albrecht on February 25, 2016, 01:23:37 PMUm, neither the US or the UK give the smallpox vaccine in the regular and suggested schedules of vaccination. For decades.
While consulting on development of a biological (very promising) recently, I learned something funny/scary about the smallpox vaccine.  Seems somewhere along the line in the 20th C., someone didn't keep close track of the strain they were using, and later genetic analysis strongly suggests it got mixed up.  The vaccine that was commonly in use in most of the world up until people stopped vaccinating for smallpox was legendarily a strain of vaccinia, the cow pox, but it seems to have actually been an attenuated strain of smallpox!

SciFiAuthor

Art, to hell with radio. Trump needs a running mate and Nevada went blue the last election, that can't be allowed again.

In seriousness, I bet he takes New York and landslides the election. The pundits are always wrong with Trump.

Robert

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 25, 2016, 10:33:41 PMAnd precisely because we live in a world where information--true or false--spreads like a contagion, the public tends to defensively choose their positions before the information can be sorted out, creating the strict anti/pro camps we find ourselves in.  For my own children I chose an approach from the middle:  I stretched out the administration schedule of the vaccinations over a longer period of time.  For example I rejected the pediatrician's recommendation to give my newborn the Hepatits B shot by telling him, "He's an infant.  He's not using drugs, having sex, or a health care worker." (all risks for Hep B), lol.  Regarding vaccinations, I encourage others to do their own research from a variety of legitimate resources, make informed decisions, and not be so quick to jump on someone else's bandwagon.
Excellent.  Immuniz'n is a great technology, but it's over-promoted.  Hepatitis B, human papilloma virus, & some others being routinely given to infants?  The risk of the vaccines would have to be impossibly low to justify the benefit/risk on those.  Some of the recommended schedules have little data behind them; intervals are chosen for other reasons.

Robert

Quote from: rekcuf on February 26, 2016, 04:21:08 PMThe satisfaction of dialing, too. Ahhh! Yeah, that feels good. It makes a man feel like a private investigator, or sumthin.
Remember that tool you could insert to prevent your finger from getting sore from dialing?

Mr. Fidget

Or at least follow through on his "soon" assertion, so I can collect my "I told you so"... there's not much soon left!!1