• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Bellgab: Tinder for those over 60.

QuoteGreat stuff from LMH tonite.  A shame Art is not on the air to break the story - would be a match made in heaven, like it always was.

See this, Art?  (it was posted in the GNS thread)

WOTR

Quote from: PKaiser on February 25, 2016, 06:40:23 PM
LOL, THIS sort of thing^ is why I decided to join in!  ;D

Thanks again all for the warm welcome.
Welcome, and post often... I always find I enjoy my time here.  We have had a few regulars who were great emigrate but have also had a few immigrate recently.  Or, it could be that the regulars who I miss simply post in other threads.  I have had tunnel vision lately, and rarely venture from the same two or three threads.  Probably because I was vaccinated as a child. ;)

Hope to see you around here...

michio

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 25, 2016, 10:33:41 PM
One could argue there is more money to be made on the costly treatments of these communicable diseases if they were allowed to spread unchecked.

As a young child I found my teenaged brother in convulsions from post-viral (measles) encephalitis.  He was in a coma for almost 3 weeks and nearly died.  I've had friends with paralysis from polio.  In fact, early in my nursing career I worked on a ward caring for patients who lived 24/7 in an iron lung after contracting polio. 

I find most of these anti-vaccine folks are too young to have witnessed the horrible sequelae from diseases we can now easily prevent.  Instead they irresponsibly spread dis-information with little to no scientific evidence to support their claims.

And precisely because we live in a world where information--true or false--spreads like a contagion, the public tends to defensively choose their positions before the information can be sorted out, creating the strict anti/pro camps we find ourselves in.  For my own children I chose an approach from the middle:  I stretched out the administration schedule of the vaccinations over a longer period of time.  For example I rejected the pediatrician's recommendation to give my newborn the Hepatits B shot by telling him, "He's an infant.  He's not using drugs, having sex, or a health care worker." (all risks for Hep B), lol.  Regarding vaccinations, I encourage others to do their own research from a variety of legitimate resources, make informed decisions, and not be so quick to jump on someone else's bandwagon.

Stopping all inoculations would be an effective means to cull the herd and depopulate the Earth. Let diseases reign, in other words. No, I'm not suggesting we outlaw vaccines and get back to the good old days of polio and smallpox, but anti-vaxxers are recommending a culling of the herd, whether they realize it or not. We should not forget that the best of intentions can turn into the worst of outcomes.

Ah, you chose an approach that you deemed reasonable and wise by telling the doctor to back off and drop his needle.  Are you a medical doctor? Have you been trained in infectious diseases and you are an expert on vaccines, immunology, and virology? Yes? Okay then, I get it.

The infant isn't vaccinated to protect he/she from his/herself as you implied to the doctor. The baby is inoculated to protect the infant from you or other people with whom the infant comes in contact. And the infant could be infected with hepatitis B and thereby infect someone else. Does that make sense? People can be carrying the hepatitis B virus and not have any symptoms. Where there are symptoms it can take months to show. Some carry the virus for life, which is really bad for anyone around an infant, and more so for anyone responsible for caring/handling said infant and exposing that child to the virus. Hepatitis B is a a communicable virus that has serious health risks and complications associated with it. Why would anyone wait to vaccinate their child, knowing how the virus can be prevented with a vaccine that would spare a child from the chance of contracting hepatitis B with its history of liver disease, cancer, and death? That's the part of this discussion and mindset that I'll never get.

"Babies and children can get hepatitis B in the following ways:
    At birth from their infected mother
    Being bitten by an infected person
    By touching open cuts or sores of an infected person
    Through sharing toothbrushes or other personal items used by an infected person
    From food that was chewed (for a baby) by an infected person

The virus can live on objects for 7 days or more. Even if you don’t see any blood, there could be virus on an object."

You are encouraged to Google the text above for the source.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: PKaiser on February 25, 2016, 10:08:01 AM
Hello all!  I've been "lurking" here for about four months now after discovering this forum while listening to Art/Heather discuss it on MitD and thought it was about time to create a profile and jump in!  Yes, that is me in my avatar, I've been a professional musician here in Indianapolis for longer than I care to remember, which is how I came to hear Art back in the early '90s while driving from gig to gig in the middle of the night.  I have a BS degree in US History and have a passion for this country and its politics.  I recently married for the first time to the first girl I dated when I was 13 (we re-met online on that Facebook thingy) and I have no children (that I know of, heh, heh).  I think this forum is a riot, although I did cancel my TT subscription just last week (I've done a fair bit of radio in my day, used to work with the Bob & Tom Show, and was a Producer/on-air talent for Maine in the Morning up in Bangor for example) because I cannot deal with amateurs on the radio!  No offense, but she is what she is.  Anyway, I find most of you thoughtful, fairly respectful and open to new ideas.  And of course some of you are funnier than hell and I have a great time reading your back and forths!

So that's enough from me, I'll be around and if you'd like to see if I'm for real or fulla shit just clik here and you can see pictures of all my bands, see videos of me singing with Lou Gramm, Dennis DeYoung and the Bob & Tom crew and you can listen to my original songs where I wrote, played and sang everything on them  Just go to:

www.reverbnation.com/philkaiser

Hope to talk to you all soon!

Oh, and PRAISE MV!
Welcome. So I have several friends who are or used to be in the Indianapolis music scene as well as my housemate who is from Muncie. My music friends are fine with me mentioning their names. I have been to the Cash Bash several times. My friend Mandy Marie Luke used to headline it with her band, Mandy Marie & The Cool Hand Lukes. She has since moved to Austin. I am friends with T-Bone, who does T-Bone's Prime Cuts on the weekend on a radio station in Indy. Been to James Dean fest multiple times as well.

People can say all they want about astrology, but I know who I get along with and who I don't. The majority of people I don't get along with happen to be one sign.  ;D

Quote from: PKaiser on February 25, 2016, 07:30:27 PM
Hey Random, I've wanted to ask you: are you related to barfly?

Different species.

Gruntled

Quote from: gabrielle on February 25, 2016, 10:56:11 PM
From Art's face book.

Art Bell
7 hrs ·
Trump
Why is Trump winning? Simple, the American people have figured out that we are in trouble and that what we have had is not going to fix it with traditional Democrats or Republicans, history shows us that. As I said on the show people are very angry and his support shows that. Once you have taken all that mainstream money you will act to protect those interests and they are not yours or mine.
Art
Thanks Gabrielle for posting this.
I think Art might be right about this, whether you like Trump or not.

GravitySucks

Quote from: ponyboysunset on February 26, 2016, 06:54:42 AM
Welcome. So I have several friends who are or used to be in the Indianapolis music scene as well as my housemate who is from Muncie. My music friends are fine with me mentioning their names. I have been to the Cash Bash several times. My friend Mandy Marie Luke used to headline it with her band, Mandy Marie & The Cool Hand Lukes. She has since moved to Austin. I am friends with T-Bone, who does T-Bone's Prime Cuts on the weekend on a radio station in Indy. Been to James Dean fest multiple times as well.

People can say all they want about astrology, but I know who I get along with and who I don't. The majority of people I don't get along with happen to be one sign.  ;D
😎

PBS, do you know a "C bass", too?  :)

ponyboysunset

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 26, 2016, 08:15:05 AM
😎
LOL no sir, that sign would be Pisces for me. There I've said it. But then again I have one awesome friend of that sign, so maybe I just pick assholes to date and it has nothing to do with their sign! Ha!

And no Rekcuf I don't know him or her. I know a Mo that plays bass in that area.

PKaiser

Quote from: pate on February 25, 2016, 09:58:06 PM
Catching up on the latest Art Bell news here.

Also, welcome to PKaiser!

You have received a weak-sauce BellGab welcome, in my opinion.  Let me fix that for you:  Dickassholecuntalishiousspazfagdouche go back to 4chan, you idiot troll. &c...

I've not yet finished my first "Beam Me Up" & Coke of the evening, PK, so I apologize if this first attempt at getting you into a BallGrab flame-war seems forced.  I don't think the Nancy-girls from across the pond are awake yet.  I shall endeavor to do my best.  A bit of advice:  say something outrageous/foolish, preferably while half to fully-tanked, and preferably with poor to non-existant grammar.  That works to get the sharks stirred up a bit, or lands you on an /ignore list.

Thanks pate, I'll have to remember that!

PKaiser

Quote from: WOTR on February 26, 2016, 02:49:07 AM
Welcome, and post often... I always find I enjoy my time here.  We have had a few regulars who were great emigrate but have also had a few immigrate recently.  Or, it could be that the regulars who I miss simply post in other threads.  I have had tunnel vision lately, and rarely venture from the same two or three threads.  Probably because I was vaccinated as a child. ;)

Hope to see you around here...

Thanks WOTR, you will!

PKaiser

Quote from: ponyboysunset on February 26, 2016, 06:54:42 AM

Hey PBS... can I call you PBS?

Yeah, I grew up in Broad Ripple and my bands dominated the music scene there in the early eighties.  I'm older now, lol.

James Dean Festival is fantastic, I lived in Maine for 10 years and missed a bunch but have been catching them again ever since I moved back to my beloved Indianapolis.  Getting ready for the incredible 100th running of the Indianapolis 500 in May, cannot wait!

Thanks for the shout out, don't be a stranger!

ponyboysunset

Quote from: PKaiser on February 26, 2016, 08:49:33 AM
Hey PBS... can I call you PBS?

Yeah, I grew up in Broad Ripple and my bands dominated the music scene there in the early eighties.  I'm older now, lol.

James Dean Festival is fantastic, I lived in Maine for 10 years and missed a bunch but have been catching them again ever since I moved back to my beloved Indianapolis.  Getting ready for the incredible 100th running of the Indianapolis 500 in May, cannot wait!

Thanks for the shout out, don't be a stranger!
Everyone calls me PBS, so yes that is fine! Enjoy the forum and Indy. Overall we are a fun bunch, as I'm sure you've seen.

ziznak

Quote from: Crash Folly on February 25, 2016, 11:45:04 PM
Bellgab: Tinder for those over 60.
bellgabdate.com   registered

PKaiser

Quote from: ponyboysunset on February 26, 2016, 08:54:30 AM
Everyone calls me PBS, so yes that is fine! Enjoy the forum and Indy. Overall we are a fun bunch, as I'm sure you've seen.

Yes, that's why I finally took the plunge after lurking for four months.  I remember hearing about this "Bellgab" in Art's Sirius days (I think) but was too busy to check you all out.  Then I really started to become curious after MitD's launch in July and when Mr. Bell took off again I had to check it out.  Now I'm retired I have way more time on my hands.  I want to join in over night but I cannot listen to the current iteration of MitD so I feel kinda funny jumping in when I'm not actively engaged in the current show.  Thoughts?

Are you here in Indy?

ziznak

Quote from: PKaiser on February 26, 2016, 09:45:10 AM
Yes, that's why I finally took the plunge after lurking for four months.  I remember hearing about this "Bellgab" in Art's Sirius days (I think) but was too busy to check you all out.  Then I really started to become curious after MitD's launch in July and when Mr. Bell took off again I had to check it out.  Now I'm retired I have way more time on my hands.  I want to join in over night but I cannot listen to the current iteration of MitD so I feel kinda funny jumping in when I'm not actively engaged in the current show.  Thoughts?

Are you here in Indy?
welcome PKaiser.  there are people here that have never even listened to Art so.... nigga pleeeze!!! post away

Do you guys have an opinion as to which show was better, Dreamland or the early Coast To Coast? 

*BONUS QUESTION*
Does anyone remember the caller who forced "bad energy" into his urine and then pissed it out into a toilet, which actually ended up CLOGGING the toilet??

ponyboysunset

Quote from: PKaiser on February 26, 2016, 09:45:10 AM
Are you here in Indy?
Nope, I live close to Detroit. Just know some folks from there.

ziznak

Quote from: creepygreenlight on February 26, 2016, 11:07:22 AM
Do you guys have an opinion as to which show was better, Dreamland or the early Coast To Coast? 

*BONUS QUESTION*
Does anyone remember the caller who forced "bad energy" into his urine and then pissed it out into a toilet, which actually ended up CLOGGING the toilet??
Some of the dreamland shows are the best.  In fact dreamland was where I first heard Art.  I remember being all fucked up in my room at my parents house in the early am.  I always had some sort of talk radio on in the background back then it was a habit I picked up from some old guy that I was locked in an office with.  Then I would hear that trickling water intro and would get excited.  "it's the guy that talks to crazy people again!" I would think...  I also listened to mr harold camping for shits n giggles.  I think he was either before or after Art on the local station I listened in on.

I wouldnt say one is better than the other.  Early coast with Art and Dreamland are grouped into the same category for me... my only problem with the dreamland stuff is that most the files in my collection sound as if they were recorded from a mic'd radio.  The early coast shows have some shitty quality in that collection as well but really I have to be thankful that they even exist.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: michio on February 26, 2016, 03:51:13 AM

"Babies and children can get hepatitis B in the following ways:
    At birth from their infected mother
    Being bitten by an infected person
    By touching open cuts or sores of an infected person
    Through sharing toothbrushes or other personal items used by an infected person
    From food that was chewed (for a baby) by an infected person

The virus can live on objects for 7 days or more. Even if you don’t see any blood, there could be virus on an object."

You are encouraged to Google the text above for the source.

As a health care professional, I'm quite familiar with the routes of transmission for Hepatitis B which you've posted (a partial list) above, and therefore, in agreement with my child's pediatrician, I made an informed decision to delay giving my newborn the Hep B vaccination.  I fully understand the herd immunity concept and the desire to eradicate certain communicable diseases, which is exactly why I don't support the anti-vaccine movement/propaganda.

ItsOver

Quote from: ziznak on February 26, 2016, 11:57:07 AM
Some of the dreamland shows are the best.  In fact dreamland was where I first heard Art.  I remember being all fucked up in my room at my parents house in the early am.  I always had some sort of talk radio on in the background back then it was a habit I picked up from some old guy that I was locked in an office with.  Then I would hear that trickling water intro and would get excited.  "it's the guy that talks to crazy people again!" I would think...  I also listened to mr harold camping for shits n giggles.  I think he was either before or after Art on the local station I listened in on.

I wouldnt say one is better than the other.  Early coast with Art and Dreamland are grouped into the same category for me... my only problem with the dreamland stuff is that most the files in my collection sound as if they were recorded from a mic'd radio.  The early coast shows have some shitty quality in that collection as well but really I have to be thankful that they even exist.
Ha, ha, ha.  Yeah, Dreamland was good.  Being on Sunday night and with Art's melodious voice, it was dreamy.

Lt.Uhura

*BONUS QUESTION*

I loved Art's Dreamland.  The shows were intelligent and thought-provoking, and on a variety of topics not discussed anywhere else on radio.  Art's talent for the long-form interview made these shows instant classics.  I would be thrilled if he would bring back the show--even once a month. 

Selective memory maybe, but I don't remember the bad engery urine guy, lol

PKaiser

*BONUS QUESTION*

Really loved the '90s Art Bell a ton, didn't know about Dreamland until a few years ago.  Picked up a couple on the U7 stream and I really like those now as well.

ItsOver

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 26, 2016, 12:17:25 PM
I loved Art's Dreamland.  The shows were intelligent and thought-provoking, and on a variety of topics not discussed anywhere else on radio.  Art's talent for the long-form interview made these shows instant classics.  I would be thrilled if he would bring back the show--even once a month. 

I wish Art would have done this back when he announced he was returning on Sirius.  Of course, Art gave Whitley the Dreamland title but Art could have done a similar show, once a week, with a different name.

He seemed insistent upon 5 nights a week but, especially with him talking about having COPD now, if he wanted to get back on the air, one night a week would certainly seem to be much more reasonable.  More time for the family, less effort to support, easier to find a guest, etc.  It just seems to be a winner all around.  Just pick the Stalker's porn viewing night.  ;)

Quote from: ziznak on February 26, 2016, 11:57:07 AM
Some of the dreamland shows are the best.  In fact dreamland was where I first heard Art.  I remember being all fucked up in my room at my parents house in the early am.  I always had some sort of talk radio on in the background back then it was a habit I picked up from some old guy that I was locked in an office with.  Then I would hear that trickling water intro and would get excited.
Man, that's awesome, I was too young to even listen to talk radio back then.  I wonder what percentage of Art's nightly listeners were high every time they tuned in?  LOL... I never heard Dreamland until hearing it on torrent.  I first discovered Art on Coast to Coast in the early 2000's when my brother and I would tune in while toking up, I had never heard talk radio before it blew my mind.

From what I've heard Dreamland was a bit more complex than Coast, as far as the topics were.

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 26, 2016, 12:17:25 PM

I'll try to find the episode.

ziznak

yeah I don't remember the "bad energy" urine either but if somebody could dig it up and post the clip??? hrrrrmmmmm anybody not at work here? lol

ItsOver

Quote from: ziznak on February 26, 2016, 01:27:57 PM
yeah I don't remember the "bad energy" urine either but if somebody could dig it up and post the clip??? hrrrrmmmmm anybody not at work here? lol
Where do I look, Ziz?  A quick Google didn't find much.

DarKPenguiN

*BONUS QUESTION*
I never got to hear Dreamland back in the day, knew it existed because of the commercials and even called to try and get it on our station- To no avail.

Listening to C2C high? Yup- In fact I hate to admit it but Ive skipped school and work on occasion because of a good guest (couldnt afford that C crane radio that could record the entire show but damn I wanted one-)

Anyone remember one night Art was having an interview and it started getting close to the end of the show and he was like "fuck it, Ima keep interviewing and hopefully the stations will keep running it" and ran C2C for like an extra hour?

Yeah lots of sleepless night , some missed school and work and in all honesty probably a defining era in forming many of my interests and love and the bizarre.

I dont remember the urine guy, but there were so many unique and crazy guests and strange events that happened on that show (and nowhere else) that its hard for many people to understand exactly how different and crazy it was based on the times. Art was a master of what he called 'Theater of the mind' and those were good times all around. The mid to late 90s were just a good time to be coming of age imho-