• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: DanTSX on December 13, 2015, 12:42:19 AM
Dramatic indeed..... :/

Cmon guys.  Back in the summer you were all lining up to have a big giant blow bang over how visionary he was, and a true national treasure.

For what's it's worth, I'd give him another shot. Art's like that bad girlfriend/boyfriend (depending on your preference) that you keep going back to. Logically, you know you shouldn't be dating them; you know they're going to break your heart and that it's going it's going to end badly but you do it anyway because they're just so much fun.

DanTSX

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 13, 2015, 12:47:44 AM
For what's it's worth, I'd give him another shot. Art's like that bad girlfriend/boyfriend (depending on your preference) that you keep going back to. Logically, you know you shouldn't be dating them; you know their going to break your heart and that it's going it's going to end badly but you do it anyway because they're just so much fun.
yeah I can't take it personally

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: ponyboysunset on December 12, 2015, 09:26:50 PM
Oh no sir, I am not listening or subscribing to that train wreck ever again.But lots of others will and Godspeed to them all. Not the first time I have had an unpopular opinion here and won't be the last.

You're probably unpopular because you're an asshole.  Just saying.

K_Dubb

Cmon guys.  Back in the summer you were all lining up to have a big giant blow bang over how visionary he was, and a true national treasure.

Some day I'll reach that serene state of disillusion and detachment that knows neither excitement nor disappointment and greets every development with a cynical shrug and jaundiced eye.  And then I hope I die.

Claudius

I'll put myself on the record stating I would have never said those things about Art, and I'm certainly not ashamed of it. What he did was not new, plenty of old radio hands turned to digital radio shows before Art even considered it. And a treasure? He is a good host (which is why I ever listened to him) but on the whole he is an overgrown child who is prone to believing the absurd because "it's weird".

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 13, 2015, 12:55:37 AM
Some day I'll reach that serene state of disillusion and detachment that knows neither excitement nor disappointment and greets every development with a cynical shrug and jaundiced eye.  And then I hope I die.

I've got news for you.  That's what death is.

You may want to pick yourself up and live a little.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Claudius on December 13, 2015, 12:14:10 AM
I couldn't agree more. People tend to think Art is really important, or that he is a "major player" out there, but in reality he's not.

I was beginning to think it was me and only one or two others who thought that.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: deadmeow on December 12, 2015, 10:33:06 PM
I am sure Art would prefer to be broadcasting, over reading troll comments in the forums.

And these 'troll' comments are what exactly? The ones that don't say he's a deity?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 13, 2015, 01:20:04 AM
And these 'troll' comments are what exactly? The ones that don't say he's a deity?

Art, you da deity

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: IcicleTrepan on December 12, 2015, 10:53:00 PM
so called fans so quick to turn on Art.

Turn that on it's head: Art Bell exploits his fandom to mitigate the negative reaction he'll inevitably incur by his mendacity.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 13, 2015, 01:18:42 AM
I was beginning to think it was me and only one or two others who thought that.

Yeah...right...and that's why you're here all the time being one of the most prolific posters on message board dedicated to a host you're only meh about.  ::)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on December 13, 2015, 12:54:57 AM
You're probably unpopular because you're an asshole.  Just saying.

Speak for yourself. No she isn't.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 13, 2015, 01:22:52 AM
Yeah...right...and that's why you're here all the time being one of the most prolific posters on message board dedicated to a host you're only meh about.  ::)

Yeah well maybe the emporer wasn't wearing any clothes after all this time around?  :)

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 13, 2015, 01:22:13 AM
Art Bell exploits his fandom to mitigate the negative reaction he'll inevitably incur by his mendacity.

Don't you call Art a beggar!

Faustina

I really like the tunnel from the house to the studio idea:  it makes a lot of sense.  [Well, if the two buildings are pretty close.  Otherwise, it might be a tad cost prohibitive.]

zeebo

After all that build-up, the waiting for the non-compete to expire after the last fiasco, all the encouragement and suggestions and good will, the marketing blitz, the individual subscriptions (some rarely used and given purely as a sign of support), the station sign-ups, the advertisers getting on-board, the other affected people on DMRN, the potential of future shows ... in a day, it's just .. gone. 

Of course family is the most important thing, and if that's it, well then that's it.  But still it all feels so dismissive, such an instant rejection of all that could have been.  Instead of maybe putting the show on hiatus, giving the authorities some more time, maybe brainstorming some alternatives - it's just all brought down in one fell swoop. 

People say "But it's just a radio show!" Really? I think the passion on this board alone illustrates how Art's shows have been something rare and special.  They've actually affected people's lives, how they see the world, how they cope with difficult subjects, how they ascertain the truth.  Some shows have served as needed warnings, some have given needed hope.  Some have given us permission to be curious, or be scared, or even just to laugh.  It never was just a show - it was an experience.

Last time, with Sirius, I think alot of us felt like it just wasn't working well.  When it ended, and the two-year wait followed, we had faith that another, better incarnation would eventually appear.  And guess what, it did.  Against all odds, it really did.  Art's MITD lived up to all the efforts and planning and good ideas that went into it.  If he was ever going to have a successful show post-c2c, this was it.  The independent setup was great.  The format was great.  The production was great.  The music and guests and callers were great.  Art sounded like he was having fun, and the show just seemed to be getting better all the time. 

But, then, with this out-of-the-blue decision to just summarily drop out of the show, it all just came to a dead stop.  Over.  Finis.  All that momentum, just - gone.  Frittered away forever. 

There will never be a better time, or a better setup than what we just had.  If it didn't work this time, and if it was so easily discarded, then I think it's done.  And even if things change, and maybe Art flirts with coming back or whatnot, this window is already closed.  You can't just easily start something like this back up again.

I think alot of us felt this was the now-or-never moment.  I'm sad about it ending, but I'm also resolved to let it go, no matter what hints or rumors may or may not happen down the road.  I say this all without anger, just with a kind of sad acceptance of what's happened.  I'll always be fan, a really really big fan, but I could just never be enthusiastic about any new developments like I was before. 

Art, I hope you and your family can move on.  I hope they catch this criminal.  I hope your stress goes down and you can live in peace.  Thank you for all the years of great shows, including the last five months.  Thanks for your candid communications here on bellgab.  Thanks for giving it your all.  Thanks for your professionalism and integrity.  Thanks for being a genuine, decent, inquisitive human being and sharing your remarkable worlds with us.  You're the best there ever was and irreplaceable.  Be happy and stay safe. 

paladin1991

Quote from: Claudius on December 12, 2015, 10:31:16 PM
Maybe Art found a new and somehow younger wife on conspiracydate, so he needs to scare the current wife away.... Yeah that makes sense!.... Well the first part at least.

Fuck off, Clownius.

paladin1991

Quote from: IcicleTrepan on December 12, 2015, 10:53:00 PM
so called fans so quick to turn on Art.
The Beta males and the Faithless Fucks.

coaster

That poor Psychic Treadmill guy is going to have to close his doors now. Probably have to lay off thousands of employees. Sad when you think about it.

Heather Wade

I write to you with a heavy heart tonight.  It has been a pleasure and a great honor to work with Art Bell.  I have been with him every step of the way through each incident:  his studio internet being tampered with on Sept 23rd, shots fired at his studio on Oct 21st while he was on the air, the threatening phone call he received at his private home number on Nov 18th, the intruder on his property on Nov 23rd, and this last incident of a shot being fired at him when he was on his way to his studio on Dec 9th.

The incidents are becoming more brazen, and more often.  I'd give anything to know who it is.  Anything.  I want this person/ persons caught and stopped.  However, wishing it does not make it so.  The proper Police reports have been made, Art's security increased, yet it continued.

For anyone who thinks this is a stunt or an excuse to quit, I have made reports to Nye County Deputies myself, and have photos of Art's injuries from when he dove to the ground when he heard the shot on Dec 9th.  Unfortunately, it is all too real.  I am as angry, and as sad as all of you that Art has been pushed off the air, but the right thing to do is to put his family first.  That he was bullied off the air like this makes me so mad I could chew up nails and spit out carpet tacks.

I will be hosting Midnight In The Desert starting on Monday night.  It pains me a great deal to have my dream handed to me like this; Art should be the one on that mic.  It is his rightful place.  Anytime he wants to return, the seat is his.  For now, I will keep that fire lit for him.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: coaster on December 13, 2015, 02:35:57 AM
That poor Psychic Treadmill guy is going to have to close his doors now. Probably have to lay off thousands of employees. Sad when you think about it.

He saw it coming.  ;)

Coz

I think at this point, after everything that has transpired, I'm going to try and move on from this.

The die has been cast and decisions made. The effects will ripple out and will diminish. We'll find other things to do or listen to.

There's not a whole lot left to be said.

George Noory

[attachment id=1 msg=627254]

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: (Redacted) on December 13, 2015, 02:51:10 AM
I write to you with a heavy heart tonight.  It has been a pleasure and a great honor to work with Art Bell.  I have been with him every step of the way through each incident:  his studio internet being tampered with on Sept 23rd, shots fired at his studio on Oct 21st while he was on the air, the threatening phone call he received at his private home number on Nov 18th, the intruder on his property on Nov 23rd, and this last incident of a shot being fired at him when he was on his way to his studio on Dec 9th.

The incidents are becoming more brazen, and more often.  I'd give anything to know who it is.  Anything.  I want this person/ persons caught and stopped.  However, wishing it does not make it so.  The proper Police reports have been made, Art's security increased, yet it continued.

For anyone who thinks this is a stunt or an excuse to quit, I have made reports to Nye County Deputies myself, and have photos of Art's injuries from when he dove to the ground when he heard the shot on Dec 9th.  Unfortunately, it is all too real.  I am as angry, and as sad as all of you that Art has been pushed off the air, but the right thing to do is to put his family first.  That he was bullied off the air like this makes me so mad I could chew up nails and spit out carpet tacks.

I will be hosting Midnight In The Desert starting on Monday night.  It pains me a great deal to have my dream handed to me like this; Art should be the one on that mic.  It is his rightful place.  Anytime he wants to return, the seat is his.  For now, I will keep that fire lit for him.

I wish you the best! I'm not spinning any conspiracy theories here but it's just that with all these incidents and gunshots the police haven't found one clue or lead in the case...not even a bullet casing? You see why some find it odd, right?

Coz

Good luck with it Heather.

I wish you the best, Red, and I am not cancelling my subscription.

Yorkshire pud

Hope it works out Heather. FWIW, you deserved better.

Heather Wade

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 13, 2015, 03:01:33 AM
Hope it works out Heather. FWIW, you deserved better.

Art deserves to do his show in peace.

sydtron

Red. Go for it!!  I know this isnt they way it was supposed to be. But you have a once in a lifetime opportunity here.  Of course you knkw all that. Ill be listening and my $5 will be there every month. Count on it.  NO PRESSURE!! :D
Go get em!! 

slippingaway

Redacted, I think the shock is wearing off, and we are all reaching the stage of grieving that involves anger.  I will still listen to you, and call in if the show still allows that.  We are still a big family, united by our passion for Art.  And though Art may not be at the helm; it's still his ship, and I'm in it for the WHOLE ride.
Love ya, Redacted. Seriously consider keeping your anonymity with your hosting.