• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

aldousburbank

Quote from: jazmunda on August 26, 2015, 04:05:16 AM
I have a 13 hour flight coming up so I am saving up some shows. This one will be listened to from 30,000 plus feet.

Is there a mile high club for MITD?
Man that is so like last month. I listened live via gogo wifi while flying Phx to Reno. IMO, replaying previously recorded MITD podcasts don't count.

jazmunda

Quote from: aldousburbank on August 26, 2015, 07:25:59 AM
Man that is so like last month. I listened live via gogo wifi while flying Phx to Reno. IMO, replaying previously recorded MITD podcasts don't count.

Until you've listened to Art live in a provincial French cafe you haven't lived. Apparently MITD will be airing during my flight from Singapore to Melbourne. The flight over had Wi-Fi so I think listening over international waters wins. Do I get bonus points if I call in whilst in transit?  :P

BellBoy

Quote from: jazmunda on August 26, 2015, 07:35:12 AM
Until you've listened to Art live in a provincial French cafe you haven't lived. Apparently MITD will be airing during my flight from Singapore to Melbourne. The flight over had Wi-Fi so I think listening over international waters wins. Do I get bonus points if I call in whilst in transit?  :P

Until someone actually calls in from the ISS or the top of Mount Everest, I think that would definitely claim the prize.  ;)

...but man, that cafe must open early!

aldousburbank

Quote from: jazmunda on August 26, 2015, 07:35:12 AM
Do I get bonus points if I call in whilst in transit?  :P
If you're drunk, yes.

Paradox

Quote from: sorefinger on July 25, 2015, 11:59:40 AM
In other words, it's okay for you to grouse but nobody else can.
Not been here in a while.  Just catching up and saw this. 
No.  That is not what I was saying.  I was saying give humans some time to get things going and work out the glitches.  Threatening to cancel subscriptions just seemed like a knee jerk reaction by people who are used to instant gratification. I did think it a bit short sighted and basically stoopid.

However it seems Keith et al have ironed things out for now. 

jazmunda

Quote from: BellBoy on August 26, 2015, 07:41:43 AM
Until someone actually calls in from the ISS or the top of Mount Everest, I think that would definitely claim the prize.  ;)

...but man, that cafe must open early!

7am is not that early. If I was able to catch the show it was usually between 7:30am to 9:00am.

I'll be glad when I catch the show at 2pm - 5pm again.

jazmunda

Quote from: aldousburbank on August 26, 2015, 07:45:41 AM
If you're drunk, yes.

Is there any other way to fly (with kids).  ;)

BellBoy

Quote from: jazmunda on August 26, 2015, 07:53:53 AM
7am is not that early. If I was able to catch the show it was usually between 7:30am to 9:00am.

I'll be glad when I catch the show at 2pm - 5pm again.

The show starts an hour earlier here... while I'm still in my underpants  ;)  When my wife and I did New Year's in Paris a few years back, we noticed that most French shops didn't open till 10am (or later) so we usually caught breakfast in the hotel.

jazmunda

Quote from: BellBoy on August 26, 2015, 08:03:45 AM
The show starts an hour earlier here... while I'm still in my underpants  ;)  When my wife and I did New Year's in Paris a few years back, we noticed that most French shops didn't open till 10am (or later) so we usually caught breakfast in the hotel.

Not only that but many places in Provence in France close in the afternoon for a siesta of sorts but then are open till very late. The cafe I was frequenting was a bakery that served espresso so it was open earlier.

chefist

Quote from: jazmunda on August 26, 2015, 08:34:10 AM
Not only that but many places in Provence in France close in the afternoon for a siesta of sorts but then are open till very late. The cafe I was frequenting was a bakery that served espresso so it was open earlier.

Hope you and your family are enjoying your "vacation" Jaz! Can't remember if Australia and France have an extradition agreement?  ::)

jazmunda

Quote from: chefist on August 26, 2015, 08:39:35 AM
Hope you and your family are enjoying your "vacation" Jaz! Can't remember if Australia and France have an extradition agreement?  ::)

I'm in Disneyland Paris at the moment so I might need it if I see one more set of Mickey Mouse ears.

chefist

Quote from: jazmunda on August 26, 2015, 08:41:18 AM
I'm in Disneyland Paris at the moment so I might need it if I see one more set of Mickey Mouse ears.

You are a good daddy, I''m sure the kids are having a great time! So you flew to France and went to Disneyland? Did you eat and McDonalds and get a Starbucks too?  ;) 

BellBoy

Quote from: jazmunda on August 26, 2015, 08:41:18 AM

My seven year old has been badgering me for YEARS to take him there... every time I see one of their damned adverts come on the television, I quickly switch the channel!  :o

BellBoy

Quote from: chefist on August 26, 2015, 08:46:19 AM
You are a good daddy, I''m sure the kids are having a great time! So you flew to France and went to Disneyland? Did you eat and McDonalds and get a Starbucks too?  ;)

I had McDonald's just down the street from the Moulin Rouge... what a cultural paradox.

jazmunda

Quote from: chefist on August 26, 2015, 08:46:19 AM

I'm proud to say that I have not had any fast food in France and have been exercising regularly. I'm running a half marathon in October. The Disneyland side trip was purely for the kids.

chefist

Quote from: jazmunda on August 26, 2015, 08:56:45 AM
I'm proud to say that I have not had any fast food in France and have been exercising regularly. I'm running a half marathon in October. The Disneyland side trip was purely for the kids.

LOL...you are a good Pop!  :D We all make those sacrifices for our kiddos!

gabrielle

Quote from Art's facebook page:

A very close friend of mine KD7BCW Ben Gardner Died a few moments ago. He is the Man who was Married to Airyn's best friend Micai and who I took to the Philippines. I will miss him so much. He leaves his Wife and Daughter. The cause was Liver Cancer. I truly will miss you buddy.
We were introduced by Carl
KB5FJX yet another Ham who is Married to my Wife's Sister Sharon. Carl and Ben were also friends. I have not slept all night and I am a mess, what a loss of a great Man Husband and Dad.

PING

Quote from: jazmunda on August 26, 2015, 04:05:16 AM
Tonight's guest: Marcus Hutter: Artificial Intelligence.

http://artbell.com/wed-aug-26-marcus-hutter/

I like a good discussion on artificial intelligence so this should be interesting.

I have a 13 hour flight coming up so I am saving up some shows. This one will be listened to from 30,000 plus feet.

Is there a mile high club for MITD?

There is for C2C. Listen to 4 hours of Dave & then you realize you just got screwed out of 4 hours of your life you could've been doing something more productive...like flossing the cat

Firstborn

I’m looking forward to tonights AI discussion, I can almost hear the show in my mind, Marcus introduces his AI gadget and Art starts to interview it, then the device goes on a rambling rant on how Siri slandered him.

RoseGirl

Quote from: gabrielle on August 26, 2015, 10:16:38 AM

A very close friend of mine KD7BCW Ben Gardner Died a few moments ago. He is the Man who was Married to Airyn's best friend Micai and who I took to the Philippines. I will miss him so much. He leaves his Wife and Daughter. The cause was Liver Cancer. I truly will miss you buddy.
KB5FJX yet another Ham who is Married to my Wife's Sister Sharon. Carl and Ben were also friends. I have not slept all night and I am a mess, what a loss of a great Man Husband and Dad.

So very sorry to hear that. How awful. Please get some rest, it will help. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

jazmunda

Sorry to hear this Art. Take all the time you need. Losing a friend is hard. Great friends are like family.

AppealPlay

AI dude tonight.  This sounds good.  Apparently he's down under.  Think about how amazing that is.  Art in Nevada is going to interview the AI scientist in Australia and it won't be a big deal.  Technology is amazing.

b_dubb

Condolences Art. Sounds like a great guy. Blessings to you and your family.

RoseGirl

Art...is it possible for you to run a replay for tonight? Then you could take the night off and take some time for yourself.

morgana213

So sad to hear this Art.  My condolences and love go out to you and yours.

Thanks Gabrielle for posting.

sydtron

Wasnt Ben the guy who fell asleep on his ham radio mic? Keying it and snoring really loudly?

I will never forget that clip!  R.I.P. Ben.  73 from KD9BWU

albrecht

So sorry to hear this news about your friend Art. Prayers for his family and all of you. Cancer sucks. My buddy who turned me onto you decades ago died of cancer that spread there also (started off somewhere else) right before your last come back. He was a avid rabid fan and you were even mentioned at the funeral by some speakers with shared laughs/tears at him up at all hours listening or forcing us to turn off the music and put you on while driving back from a party or something.

nbirnes

Quote from: albrecht on August 26, 2015, 03:35:52 PM
So sorry to hear this news about your friend Art. Prayers for his family and all of you. Cancer sucks. My buddy who turned me onto you decades ago died of cancer that spread there also (started off somewhere else) right before your last come back. He was a avid rabid fan and you were even mentioned at the funeral by some speakers with shared laughs/tears at him up at all hours listening or forcing us to turn off the music and put you on while driving back from a party or something.

Sort of puts things in perspective. Stay strong, always.

albrecht

Quote from: nbirnes on August 26, 2015, 03:40:35 PM
Sort of puts things in perspective. Stay strong, always.
It does, thanks for the kind words. I can understand if Art needs to take some days off, especially if travel for funeral etc. I hope Art and Co locked down some guest hosts and fill-ins for circumstances that might arise and for vacation time. (Knapp, Punnett, "Bateman", Howard Hughes, RCH- let him go a full 5 hours!, etc.)

BellBoy

Quote from: albrecht on August 26, 2015, 04:12:07 PM
It does, thanks for the kind words. I can understand if Art needs to take some days off, especially if travel for funeral etc. I hope Art and Co locked down some guest hosts and fill-ins for circumstances that might arise and for vacation time. (Knapp, Punnett, "Bateman", Howard Hughes, RCH- let him go a full 5 hours!, etc.)

Thankfully, in less than six weeks, Art's already built up a rather impressive "best of" bank to fall back on, if necessary.