• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: Art Bell on June 14, 2015, 01:21:29 PM
Ok I heard the Hughes show, no problem. You have to understand Richard, he has a passion for what he does and agree or disagree with him I have a lot of respect for that, everything else to him is simply not relevant, I get it.

Art

I'm with you, Art. I appreciate Richard's zeal for what he sincerely believes to be the truth. He's obviously a pretty smart cat, but I would love to know what sent him into the wilderness. From what I can gather, he was once a pretty mainstream, tow-the-line, kind of guy with regard to NASA.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: chefist on June 14, 2015, 02:56:17 PM
I live next to the Smithsonian Observatory at Mt. Whipple here in So. AZ...also, close to one of the largest facilitties in N. America, Kitt Peak.  You can rent them out (not that much mind you) and observe the moon if you want to! Can't someone just to that and point to the places on the moon that are suppose to have "structures"? According to Lear some of them are large enough to cover craters for pete's sake...you should be able to see them from a good Earth telescope...

What I've always wondered is why anyone would bother with the moon when there's a perfectly good habitable planet right next door. The moon's kind of an extinct volcanic hellhole really; no air, little in the way of resources in comparison to Earth, no protection from radiation. About the only use for the place is to mine helium III and given that it shows no evidence of ever having been mined for Helium III it's sort of like buying a house in a bad neighborhood in Detroit. Sure, you can do it, but why?

Lilith

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 14, 2015, 02:18:22 PM
Art, it never occurred to me that Hoagland might believe the stuff he says - I just assumed he does it for attention, and to a leser extent to sell books

Do you think he seriously believes it?

I never had the impression Hoagland believed himself either.........just goes to show....I dunno nuttin"!!!

chefist

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on June 14, 2015, 03:07:43 PM
What I've always wondered is why anyone would bother with the moon when there's a perfectly good habitable planet right next door. The moon's kind of an extinct volcanic hellhole really; no air, little in the way of resources in comparison to Earth, no protection from radiation. About the only use for the place is to mine helium III and given that it shows no evidence of ever having been mined for Helium III it's sort of like buying a house in a bad neighborhood in Detroit. Sure, you can do it, but why?

Agreed...passe really...like the very first sci fi works (novels, short stories, magazines, etc) that detailed "little green men" on the moon.  Mars was never even thought of until 1897 and HG Wells...

Lilith

Quote from: Art Bell on June 14, 2015, 02:25:02 PM
Are you kidding? Of course he believes it, that's not to say I agree with him. Once in a while I do but what many of you don't know is Richard has very little money and the reason is that he spends all his energy into getting what he thinks is true out there. Again I respect his passion.

Art

Now you've made me feel bad for thinking it was a comedy all these years, and giggling away to myself  ??? :-\ :'(

chefist

Quote from: brig on June 14, 2015, 03:13:38 PM
Now you've made me feel bad for thinking it was a comedy all these years, and giggling away to myself  ??? :-\ :'(

You don't have to like every one of Art's guests...that's fine... ;)

Hope I won't be labeled a troll for saying that!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: VictoriaPandora on June 14, 2015, 07:56:35 AM

Everything about the new show feels better than the XM thing.

Yes.

zeebo

Keep the Hoagie coming - he's a kick.  And given the number of wild claims he makes, the law of averages implies something he says might actually be true.

chefist

Quote from: zeebo on June 14, 2015, 03:32:26 PM
Keep the Hoagie coming - he's a kick.  And given the number of wild claims he makes, the law of averages implies something he says might actually be true.

great point of view...throw enough shit on the wall some may stick! laser sword wielding squirrel!

chefist

Quote from: MV on June 14, 2015, 03:21:31 PM
Yes.

MV...you are from the industry...did you ever have any reservations that open lines might not work as well on a pay format like Sirius/XM? both from a technical side and a caller pool side...Thanks...

Fun survey, PathoJen!

PathoJen

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on June 14, 2015, 03:50:35 PM
Fun survey, PathoJen!
Thanks Unscreened. What was your score?

chefist

Lilith

Quote from: chefist on June 14, 2015, 03:17:11 PM
You don't have to like every one of Art's guests...that's fine... ;)

Hope I won't be labeled a troll for saying that!

You a troll?  NEVER!!!  And thanx, I feel you're saying its ok to giggle at the guests.....it just made me feel MEAN for giggling,  when Art says Hoagland believes what he says.

nika01

Quote from: brig on June 14, 2015, 03:13:38 PM

Dont be sold a bill of goods, go with your first impression.

Quote from: chefist on June 14, 2015, 03:46:15 PM
MV...you are from the industry...did you ever have any reservations that open lines might not work as well on a pay format like Sirius/XM? both from a technical side and a caller pool side...Thanks...

I am not from the industry, and haven't a clue about it. But even I knew it wouldn't work. At least for some time, until a broader audience was established. Seemed like common sense to me.

nika01

I wouldnt care if he had an ounce of humility. There mere fact that he cant be bothered with taking questions is just low rent. I dont care who likes him or thinks he is passionate. It shows a degree of contempt that is inexcusable in my book.

chefist

Quote from: brig on June 14, 2015, 03:57:14 PM
You a troll?  NEVER!!!  And thanx, I feel you're saying its ok to giggle at the guests.....it just made me feel MEAN for giggling,  when Art says Hoagland believes what he says.

Oh dear lord NO! you are the customer! they owe all their success to you! Do what you want, and more importantly, THINK what you want! :-)

PathoJen

Quote from: chefist on June 14, 2015, 03:53:23 PM
Yea, Jen...super fun! Good job!
Thanks Chefist. Now, share your pretzels with the rest of the class.  8)

Quote from: RoseGirl on June 13, 2015, 10:10:51 PM
Art...I think you should interview Amy Allan from The Dead Files. As well as her detective guy Steve.

http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/the-dead-files/articles/meet-amy-and-steve

Great ghost show. She's the real deal and, in my opinion, should be on everyone's radar.

This show is both terrifying and highly entertaining. Can't say that about any other TV show of this genre. Would love to hear an interview with them.

CornyCrow

Quote from: Art Bell on June 14, 2015, 02:25:02 PM
Are you kidding? Of course he believes it, that's not to say I agree with him. Once in a while I do but what many of you don't know is Richard has very little money and the reason is that he spends all his energy into getting what he thinks is true out there. Again I respect his passion.

Art

Wish I had your tact, Art.  Poor Richard.

ItsOver

Hoagie will be Hoagie.  An eccentric, old coot.  I couldn't take him every night but I enjoy it when Art lets him out of the attic and lets him do his thing.

EvB

Quote from: Cwn Annwn on June 14, 2015, 12:01:45 PM
Most people embellish a bit about their backgrounds. As long as he didn't tell outright lies, it's no big deal. I find him entertaining, at least, and he seems like a fairly intelligent guy. I'm glad he is a bit unhinged. It's boring to listen to "rational" level-headed people all of the time. Of Art's past guests, it would be between Hoagland and Malachi Martin for the "Guy I'd Most Like to Have A Drink or Five With" award.

Martin always creeped me out and Hoagland seems like such a fraud.  I'd take John Mack but he's dead. Oh well, not drinking these days anyway . . . :-X

EvB

Quote from: ItsOver on June 14, 2015, 04:10:54 PM
Hoagie will be Hoagie.  An eccentric, old coot.  I couldn't take him every night but I enjoy it when Art lets him out of the attic and lets him do his thing.

Will he be on Art's new show?  I thought Snoory got Hoagie in the 'divorce.'

eddie dean

Quote from: PathoJen on June 14, 2015, 04:05:37 PM
Thanks Chefist. Now, share your pretzels with the rest of the class.  8)

What! There are free pretzels available?
Why wasn't I PM'd about this?

nom nom nom

bateman

Quote from: eddie dean on June 14, 2015, 04:42:02 PM

nom nom nom

https://youtu.be/DRaLpHoZA8E

Heather Wade

What with all the festivities ahead, I'd just like to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5TwT69i1lU

albrecht

Quote from: CornyCrow on June 14, 2015, 04:09:29 PM
Wish I had your tact, Art.  Poor Richard.
Some random quotes from Poor Richard's Almanack, Hoagland version:
"Those living in glass domes on the moon should not cast stones, lest they get horrendous moving experiences"
"It is in the data, not from the Zetas. It is not jive, it is 19.5"

ps: I appreciate passion and commitment also. I don't care how zany the theory, conspiracy, or claim if the person can speak and if it entertains I'm all for it. I don't like scammers but still caveat emptor if they can spin a good tale. The ones who really believe, no matter how bizarre, I really like and Art can draw out great radio from them.

PathoJen

Quote from: eddie dean on June 14, 2015, 04:42:02 PM

nom nom nom
You will find your pretzels and the hummus Dave promised us in your inbox.