Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

ShayP

Quote from: Paper*Boy on May 08, 2015, 02:22:15 PM
Anyone buying a shortwave radio, save your receipt

Now I'm paranoid.  Well, actually always have been.  I digress.   :-\

I have a CCrane  (CCRadioSW)

Not good?  ???

Roswells, Art

or Art, you can just tell us that you know that you are talented at what you do, that could save me some time, hehe

Wiseman

When I was a kid in California, I used to sit up at night with my small Dallas Cowboy football helmet radio, and tune around the AM band searching out distant stations.   I would write down the call letters and their location in a little logbook.  I was supposed to be sleeping.   My parents never caught me.

I found out recently that this is a hobby called "AM DXing".   It's just something that I've always done.  It's how I found Art in 1996.   I was spinning the dial slowly and there he was talking about ghosts one night.  I thought, Well, that's different.  I got hooked.

Someone above posted about the "magic in the static".   I know many of you can attest to listening with AM radios to C2C in the middle of the night with the static crashes, storms going on outside, weird AM radio noises, and how it added to the greatness of the show.  Me and my girlfriend would lay there in the dark and listen.  It was an quite an experience and one I'm looking forward to again.  An Internet stream just isn't the same.

I'll be listening on shortwave.   Thanks, Art.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Catsmile on May 08, 2015, 03:44:23 PM

Just as there are people who love vinyl, more power to them. They are enamored and placated by the rituals that come with dealing with the medium. They may even find the harmonic distortions inherent with vinyl pleasing to the ear, if mastered well it can sound pleasing. While those folks are tinkering around with the large album art and disc, I'll be enjoying the music in my chair with a remote in hand

There are many obscure records that have never been compressed and digitalized.  The only way to hear them is on the original vinyl.  In addition a large portion of commercial CDs, mp3s are mixed/mastered at max volume, compromising important nuances of a recording.  Beauty in in the ear of the beholder. 

aldousburbank

Quote from: The General on May 08, 2015, 03:42:43 PM
Apparently Art's getting inundated with requests from AM stations that want to carry the show.  Gee, wonder why.
Translation: Art's getting inundated with requests from AM stations that don't want to carry Dave.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Wiseman on May 08, 2015, 03:55:08 PM
When I was a kid in California, I used to sit up at night with my small Dallas Cowboy football helmet radio, and tune around the AM band searching out distant stations.   I would write down the call letters and their location in a little logbook.  I was supposed to be sleeping.   My parents never caught me.

I found out recently that this is a hobby called "AM DXing".   It's just something that I've always done.  It's how I found Art in 1996.   I was spinning the dial slowly and there he was talking about ghosts one night.  I thought, Well, that's different.  I got hooked.

Someone above posted about the "magic in the static".   I know many of you can attest to listening with AM radios to C2C in the middle of the night with the static crashes, storms going on outside, weird AM radio noises, and how it added to the greatness of the show.  Me and my girlfriend would lay there in the dark and listen.  It was an quite an experience and one I'm looking forward to again.  An Internet stream just isn't the same.

Allow me to quote you as an example but not necessarily as a reply to just you. Are we talking about the AM static that comes in when you are trying to hear a broadcast? That is just annoying to all hell! Shortwave I can understand because I guess you would expect that and it would be all part of the nostalgia and romance.

serenity

Well Catsmile, I will be listening any way I can. I admit I do have a nostalgic streak. But I keep up with the times as evidenced by talking to you via internet or running my own server and radio playing nostalgia. It never hurts to know how things work. That has been my forte' for 50years. If we have a hurricane this year, I can fire up the genny and listen to Art via SW. I will admit though that I do get upset sometimes with this new breed of ham operator that has no need for voice radio or morse code. My bad I guess. I am glad we have choices though. Besides when the zombie apocalypse comes Ill be ready lol. Guess I never grew out of my love of radio though.  So I guess to me at least there is still magic in the static. 

phrodo

Quote from: serenity on May 08, 2015, 03:36:46 PM
Wow! Someone who knows Alvin Lee

Alvin Lee was in Ten Years After - not Canned Heat ...

"I'd love to change the world ... but I don't know what to do ... so I'm leaving it up to you."

DocHolliday

Quote from: MV on May 08, 2015, 03:52:45 PM
i started listening to opie and anthony during their first week at xm.  that was well over ten years ago.  throughout their tenure on the platform they complained about the company's web streaming issues, so it's not as if art just made all of this up out of the blue.  the company was notorious for its inability to deliver content reliably online.  if MITD in july 2015 is the result, i'm glad art left them, too.  an independent operation is what i was hoping to see from art to begin with.

Hear, hear!

serenity

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 08, 2015, 04:04:07 PM
Allow me to quote you as an example but not necessarily as a reply to just you. Are we talking about the AM static that comes in when you are trying to hear a broadcast? That is just annoying to all hell!. Shortwave I can understand because I guess you would expect that and it would be all part of the nostalgia and romance.
i guess because I am an avid Ham and AM radio guy I would say both. Comes with the territory. Annoying is in the "ear" of the listener

The General

Quote from: aldousburbank on May 08, 2015, 04:03:40 PM
Translation: Art's getting inundated with requests from AM stations that don't want to carry Dave.

Ding!

serenity

Quote from: phrodo on May 08, 2015, 04:09:41 PM
Alvin Lee was in Ten Years After - not Canned Heat ...

"I'd love to change the world ... but I don't know what to do ... so I'm leaving it up to you."
Your right, my bad

That brings up an interesting point about the say local stations' program directors have on the content they play - is an iHeart owned station obligated to carry shows like C2C, or can they choose to carry Art's show instead?

serenity

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on May 08, 2015, 04:13:47 PM
That brings up an interesting point about the say local stations' program directors have on the content they play - is an iHeart owned station obligated to carry shows like C2C, or can they choose to carry Art's show instead?
As evidenced by John Osterlind getting canned from WRNO to put in Michael Berry, I would say IHeart Media has ALL of the say

ItsOver

"Yep, good 'ol Dave Noorie.  We're not sure about the name but we're sure he sucks."

Spinner

Quote from: jazmunda on May 08, 2015, 07:50:37 AM
Ghosts in the Desert
Spooks in the Desert
Spooky in the Desert
Spooky Desert
Ghostly Desert
Midnight Ghosts

Spooky Midnight

Whatever he calls it, I know it will be good.  :-*

phrodo

Quote from: serenity on May 08, 2015, 04:12:46 PM
Your right, my bad

You may have been thinking of "I'm going home" instead of "Going up in the country"?

Roswells, Art

Quote from: serenity on May 08, 2015, 04:07:58 PM
I will admit though that I do get upset sometimes with this new breed of ham operator that has no need for voice radio or morse code. My bad I guess. I am glad we have choices though.

About morse code, apparently the last lady that lived in my apartment got locked in the bathroom and was pounding on something in morse code to get out. She got let out, not because of the morse code but just because of the pounding. I still think that is pretty cool though. And you might like this video of a POW that was saying everything is fine, they are treating me well to the camera but he was blinking that they are torturing him in morse code with his eyelids.

www.youtube.com/embed/BgelmcOdS38

sydtron

Im a HAM operator in Indiana.  KD9BWU.  Ive been fascinated by it for years and just got my ticket last year.  When I travel. I take my handheld with me and find the local repeater.   Would like to have a radio capable of Single Side Band.  That blows my mind that you get so much distance out of so little bandwidth.   I will pay the $5. Listen on Tune-in and try to get the SW broadcast.  Its going to be a great summer!

serenity

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 08, 2015, 04:22:34 PM
About morse code, apparently the last lady that lived in my apartment got locked in the bathroom and was pounding on something in morse code to get out. She got let out, not because of the morse code but just because of the pounding. I still think that is pretty cool though. And you might like this video of a POW that was saying everything is fine they are treating me well to the camera but he was blinking morse code with his eyes.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BgelmcOdS38" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hmm, k, i dont think that worked

Lol I remember the story well. Back during Viet Nam ( If your reading this Noory, that was a war we had in SE Asia back in the 60's and early 70's) The guy was  a genius! I know I would never have thought of it.

Catsmile

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on May 08, 2015, 04:00:33 PM
There are many obscure records that have never been compressed and digitalized.  The only way to hear them is on the original vinyl.  In addition a large portion of commercial CDs, mp3s are mixed/mastered at max volume, compromising important nuances of a recording.  Beauty in in the ear of the beholder. 

True some recording haven't been digitized, however vinyl can be digitized at home with ease now. Just because something is digitized doesn't mean it's compressed. Yes the loudness wars Suck smelly hog cox. However that is a mastering issue, not a medium issue, if they could compress the dynamics levels of vinyl like they can digital they would. As it stands they always have had to compress and equalize vinyl because of physical limitations of the medium. RIAA equalization. Putting more than two songs on a LP disc. Both Digital and Analog have compromises. I've heard great recording on both mediums, the inverse is also true.

This can be argued forever and has been since digital was born. Most don't find such issues a good read. I've derailed this thread enough for now. How about that Art Bell, folks?

serenity

Quote from: Catsmile on May 08, 2015, 04:27:06 PM
True some recording haven't been digitized, however vinyl can be digitized at home with ease now. Just because something is digitized doesn't mean it's compressed. Yes the loudness wars Suck smelly hog cox. However that is a mastering issue, not a medium issue, if they could compress the dynamics levels of vinyl like they can digital they would. As it stands they always have had to compress and equalize vinyl because of physical limitations of the medium. RIAA equalization. Putting more than two songs on a LP disc. Both Digital and Analog have compromises. I've heard great recording on both mediums, the inverse is also true.

This can be argued forever and has been since digital was born. Most don't find such issues a good read. I've derailed this thread enough for now. How about that Art Bell, folks?

Your right......................Nuff said!   

"May we never go to Hell but may we always be on the way"

chefist

i started listening to opie and anthony during their first week at xm.  that was well over ten years ago.  throughout their tenure on the platform they complained about the company's web streaming issues, so it's not as if art just made all of this up out of the blue.  the company was notorious for its inability to deliver content reliably online.  if MITD in july 2015 is the result, i'm glad art left them, too.  an independent operation is what i was hoping to see from art to begin with.

I'm sure Sirius told Art, "Sure, no problem...it works fine!"

Catsmile

I agree with this.
However when Arts short lived XM show ended it PISSED ME OFF at the time.
Art being independent... SO much agree with this! Once others get involved and pay for the show, they will want to dictate how the product is produced. Too many chefs in the kitchen spoils the soup.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: serenity on May 08, 2015, 04:26:31 PM
If your reading this Noory, that was a war we had in SE Asia back in the 60's and early 70's)

hahahaha

YNOT

Quote from: Canned Heat on May 08, 2015, 03:29:55 PM
That's such a cute reply Roswells. 

Most people who know they're good need the attention to keep that power trip fueled.  What his thoughts were on just that point would be yummy to hear. 

He is an enigma and the omega.

While Dave is just an enema.

Murder101

I love the sound of an actual radio even though I mostly listen to shows online. It doesn't much matter when I play some white noise behind whatever I'm listening to.
https://www.youtube.com/user/best333WillC/videos
Normally I put on one of those, a old Art show,light a candle, turn out the lights, turn the fan on high and play a video game.

YNOT

My vote is for Midnight in the Graveyard.

I think a poll might be in order.

And also perhaps a poll for what media you will use the most to listen,
Streaming, shortwave etc.

Zenman

Quote from: Wiseman on May 08, 2015, 03:55:08 PM

I've AMDXed since I was kid altho I didn't know what it was called back then either. From Socal I can still get Sacramento & Bay Area in the early hours, but not much further than that anymore. When I was a wee whipper, many, many years ago (I knew Alvin Lee was 10 Years After, for example), I could get Seattle, and Salt Lake City, Vegas and Texas. Fun.

Falkie_Fan

Joe Rogan has mention several times over the years that he used to listen to Art Bell back in the day.  IFArt is still planning on doing a show in June or July being a guest on the Joe Rogan Podcast would get a ton of exposure for it.