• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Art's era is the 1960s so this is the kind of music he should look into: http://www.beyondthebeatgeneration.com/
That's an online music stream that's been going strong for a good decade now, it's obscure artists from the garage rock era, mostly non-hits from now defunct labels - many of the songs are listed as "unreleased" so presumably that means no licensing fees.  The music is incredible, lots of trippy sounding stuff that would fit the show perfectly.
The point is, there's tons of music out there and personally I'd rather listen to this kind than the overplayed commercial stuff.

aldousburbank

It seems like only yesterday that we were all fidgety about whether or not we liked the Recent Posts listing on our main page. Those were the days my friends.

LW

I find it hard to believe that this is a big deal for Art, he knows the radio industry so this certainly couldn't come as a surprise.

Don't play music, have a contest for up and coming artists to create music for the show. Most of it will be crap but maybe some good stuff could come from it.

Screw the copyright BS, if artists are so greedy that they don't want their music promoted then screw them. There are other ways to accomplish this, a minor issue at best.

Hell you could get a yacht and start a pirate station and stick it to the man!

I don't listen to music, so to me it's a non issue, however I did enjoy the bumper music Art played. It seemed to stick in your head.

Pirate shortwave Art bring back the good days, think about it. LOL.

On a side not Art are the shortwave bands dying or is it just my location?

indigoo

Why the fuck am I not surprised? Seriously, just use Cusco to start, who would gladly allow Art to use their tunes, and work on the rest. Didn't he plan on taking less breaks anyway? This is just silly.

cweb

Quote2,500 subscribers paying $5/mo yielding us $4.50 net is $11,250.
Less $6066 for music license alone nets $5184 per month.

That’s not much to pay for 3 full time people. Not to mention all the other costs of running this thing, bandwidth, equipment investments, software, storage costs, etc.
It's certainly not much to pay for 3 staff. But what if you double that $5 to $10 a month? You could still get 2,500 subscribers.

What about adding a sponsor spot or two? That would also help.

As for logging how many listeners when a song is played, isn't there a way to track listeners on a server over time periods? Combine that data with what times songs are played.

But I don't know the numbers on the "other" costs, so maybe this doesn't work...? I'm also vague on how this might affect reruns.

ACE of CLUBS

Art will be 71 yrs. in June ......
He gets over all his 'high hurdles' .. (bumps) in the road.
Everything goes right ....
Art's on the air !!

With his erratic past performance ......
The paranormal field diluted with the likes of Noory ....
Past guests that are now as old and tired as Art ....
A 'jaded' audience ...... Art would working in the shadow of the 'Art of the past' ...
How long do you think Art Bell would stay on the air in a perfect world ?

IcicleTrepan

Only thing I have to say is this..

:(

wr250

every one is assuming that the artists own the copyright (and therefore the ability to allow/disallow usage) . i am pretty sure most  do not. they sign it away in order to get published (generally by a record company), and the publisher  pays all govt mandated fees, and jumps through the hoops to get an official copyright. in other words the artist only owns the ability to perform the music they write (as per the publishing contract).this is what gives the RIAA and MPAA the teeth to sue dead people, grandmothers for internet piracy when they have no internet, single moms whos kids download a couple of songs (for 10's of thousands of $$$).
so it may well be that crystal gayle, and cusco do not have  the right to tell art he can use their music.

in addition these companies keep lobbying to get the copyrights extended (look up "the mickey mouse act" of 1999) currently its life of author +70 years. which makes mostly just edison cylinders available as free (read no copyright) music.

here is a list of when and how copyrights expire

current copyright law is all a bunch of bullshit .

my opinion is that copyrights should be 10 years, with a option to buy another 10 years. then it becomes public domain. period. no option to renew.and software patents should be abolished in favor of the copyright above.patents are for hardware, physical items. copyrights are for intellectual items.
as a side note, any software i write i always put out there under the current GPL license the gist of which is :
Nobody should be restricted by the software they use. There are four freedoms that every user should have:

the freedom to use the software for any purpose,
the freedom to change the software to suit your needs,
the freedom to share the software with your friends and neighbors, and
the freedom to share the changes you make.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html

gnooryblows

use Dave Schraders program as the model. He does his show from his radio station, uses all of the music he wants, then streams online and people listen to him all over the world. hell, im in boston and i listen to him.

problem solved, phew. glad that one got worked out! now dont thank me, im no hero.

indigoo

After my impulsive post I really agree with the few saying its about Art, not necessarily the music. And what if he settles for something less than what he wanted, he will most likely quit down the road because the show is not up to his standards. How many live broadcasts do we all listen to that play music, it's a common thing and as long as the paid version is edited properly there shouldn't be any worry. His first message about this was essentially "I quit because of bumper music", yet the following messages say otherwise. I don't know what to think and it's disappointing that all this hype festered since the DM fiasco and here we are again. This can be fixed if the people involved want it to be. Seems like the person involved is having second thoughts. That's fine, but please be clear about it and move on. Disconnect from your fans and fade into the ether. Enough is enough.

Or go all in and evolve and sacrifice, like so many others, and really find an alternative. I love the idea of new music to complement the show. I have a library of great ambient tracks that would be perfect as bumpers, with these artists surely interested in the exposure. It comes down to the desire to do it or not. Right now my gut tells me it just isnt there after this recent roadblock.

Marc.Knight

Just a note... the downloadable podcasts on the C2C site are sans bumper music and they are just fine.  I usually seek out Knapp's shows and I listen to him and the entertaining conversations with guests.  The quality of the show is not impaired by the lack of music. 

As we've stated here before, Art could be creative and find some really cool (free) music to play for bumper music.  Am I wrong...isn't bumper music just filler?  Art used it to compliment the topic when he could, but it certainly did not "make the show".  He did.  It isn't like Art is a DJ and music is the central focus of the show. 

This issue seems like fodder for indecisiveness.  It is Art's call. 

aldousburbank

Yea, you don't cancel the wedding because you lose the Commodores Greatest Hits 8 track cassette that you wanted to lose your virginity to.  At least I would not.

ACE of CLUBS

Quote from: aldousburbank on February 12, 2015, 09:00:35 AM
Yea, you don't cancel the wedding because you lose the Commodores Greatest Hits 8 track cassette that you wanted to lose your virginity to.  At least I would not.

You might cancel if the bride doesn't show up .....

Marc.Knight

Followup 3:

AB: "I could live with no music in the Podcast for download BUT I at least want it for the stream. Even that seems to be a nightmare, as we look into it. Does anybody know a Talk Host doing a stream who is using bumpers legally?

Radio stations are covered by a blanket agreement, I know because I paid it for KNYE when I owned it. It is not even clear who you must pay to use music in a stream, the record keeping is also a nightmare. Those who say just put it on a station and your covered are wrong.

Anyway we continue to try and figure it out."

Quote from: nextgen.fm on February 12, 2015, 01:58:26 AM
Lol!

Your musk post was funny too

Thank you. Think of me as the string band that continued to play as the Titanic sank.

Quote from: LW on February 12, 2015, 07:40:01 AM
I find it hard to believe that this is a big deal for Art, he knows the radio industry so this certainly couldn't come as a surprise...

Apparently he doesn't, and it did.  Same with Keef.

Some random thoughts:  How does someone in the entertainment industry - especially a legend who already has an audience and doesn't need the usual promotion - get tangled up in a non-compete?  It's as simple as crossing out that clause before signing the contract and telling Sirius it's a deal killer if they insist on it.

How is it I know the music industry is in flux and rights to play it are a mess, and Art Bell doesn't?  Not only that, the issue doesn't cross his radar over the past 2 years, and he didn't even look into it?

If he truly does want to do a show, and isn't just trying to run his fans off, I guess what we have here is one of those ''artiste's'' - a person at the top of their field of entertainment who insist everything and everyone around them be just so, or they refuse to perform.  Like some Hollywood diva throwing a hissy fit every day and refusing to come out of her trailer, while everyone else on set sits around waiting.  Who doesn't want to know anything about anything other than the performance itself, yet refuses to hire pros to handle the rest, and ends up constantly 'surprised' and tangled up over basic issues.

BobGrau

Quote from: Never2Late on February 12, 2015, 04:44:32 AM
So wait a minute... I finally create an account after all these years.... don't check the sight for a day... and now Art's not coming back afterall???  Am I reading this right????? What the hell.

Art does this to every new member, don't worry about it.

aldousburbank

Dark Matter = Dry Hump?

Eddie Coyle

The Wheel of Art Excuses has June indicating "heavy weather" and July "C2C is forbidding guests from coming on my show".

Redefining "Bell Curve" with each Facebook dropping.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 12, 2015, 10:00:50 AM
Apparently he doesn't, and it did.  Same with Keef.

Some random thoughts:  How does someone in the entertainment industry - especially a legend who already has an audience and doesn't need the usual promotion - get tangled up in a non-compete?  It's as simple as crossing out that clause before signing the contract and telling Sirius it's a deal killer if they insist on it.

How is it I know the music industry is in flux and rights to play it are a mess, and Art Bell doesn't?  Not only that, the issue doesn't cross his radar over the past 2 years, and he didn't even look into it?

If he truly does want to do a show, and isn't just trying to run his fans off, I guess what we have here is one of those 'artistes' - in this case someone at the top of their field of entertainment who insists on having everything and everyone around them just so, or they refuse to perform.  Like some Hollywood diva throwing a hissy fit every day and refusing to come out of her trailer while everyone else on set sits around waiting.  Who doesn't want to know anything about anything other than the performance itself, yet refuses to hire pros to handle the rest, and ends up constantly 'surprised' and tangled up over basic issues.

I think Sirius XM may have told Art if HE didn't sign the non-compete, it would have been a deal breaker for them...I try not to make statements when I'm angry, forgive me Art...There's a clear FUCKING pattern of keeping him nailed down. I get Art has personal and techincal issues and so on. Sirius probably didn't give a sweet jesus about Art's quirks because they're a business. God damn it Art!

I'm holding my signed copy of The Art of Talk and sobbing hysterically.  Why Art?...Why....Unclean! SO UNCLEAN! The filth of Dave won't leave my ears.

I love you Art.

indigoo

Quote from: Marc.Knight on February 12, 2015, 09:22:48 AM
Followup 3:

AB: "I could live with no music in the Podcast for download BUT I at least want it for the stream. Even that seems to be a nightmare, as we look into it. Does anybody know a Talk Host doing a stream who is using bumpers legally?

Radio stations are covered by a blanket agreement, I know because I paid it for KNYE when I owned it. It is not even clear who you must pay to use music in a stream, the record keeping is also a nightmare. Those who say just put it on a station and your covered are wrong.

Anyway we continue to try and figure it out."

He seems to be thinking of this as a radio host. This isn't going out over the heavily curated airwaves. People streaming live shows on their own dime and server are doing it and accommodate the podcast/premium stuff accordingly. Am I missing something here? Why is he fretting so much. As long as the music isn't used in stuff he's getting money for he should be fine, no? Just keep the show OFF YOUTUBE, by his own doing that is. I thought Art was always pretty tech savvy. A quick Google search would probably clear things up quickly, one way or another.

do bumper music Rifftrax. have a webpage with links to the bumper music and as he goes to a break say "play #23". game the system

aldousburbank

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 12, 2015, 10:18:49 AM
     The Wheel of Art Excuses has June indicating "heavy weather" and July "C2C is forbidding guests from coming on my show".

...the MV family is expecting, Eddie Coyle is grumpy today, not until the Dalai Llama is allowed to return to the Potala, Ft. Rock has not granted his blessing, illumunati threats, drought in Parumph, George mentions his name at sign off, etc etc. This could be a fun thread.

Art has pulled a Sardondi. Gone.

aldousburbank

Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry

Eddie Coyle

I'm convinced we're part of some experiment being conducted by the guv'mint or a university or possibly a think tank. Pavlov, Milgram, whatever.

Imagine Howard Stern or Rush Limbaugh having Keith Rowland in so much control of their fate.

Marc.Knight

Maybe we should get all of the possible reasons for not having the show out of the way by listing them right now.

1. Skype might have occasional bad connections
2. Not enough people will call in
3. The electric bill will be too high
4. Guests might want to have a larger audience
5. Critics on BellGab are never satisfied
6. My chair is too hard
7. My chair is too soft
8. My back hurts
9. MV screwed everything up by talking about terrorists
10. I prefer a quiet retirement after all
11. I can't have a show and compete against myself with "Somewhere in Time"
12. jazmunda is to blame for everything that will go wrong, forever

This isn't meant to be an insult Art, just a little humor. :D

indigoo

I would for Keith to provide sources to the information he is using on the website. I want to know what he's reading. Also they should be reaching out to the younger generation of copyright lawyers that have a good grasp on this sort of thing.

Again, the download podcast does not need the music. Throw that cost association out the window. Now figure out the best way to proceed. Art should think of this as an opportunity to refresh his approach and his style. Evolve or die. I love the idea of hiring a musician or group to create new music. Scour fucking Bandcamp, a site with so much good music it seems unreal sometimes.

DesertFox

I'm assuming Art has NOT given up trying to find a solution to his bumper music issue--so I'm not freaking out right now.  There is time yet to try to find some work around.

I'm supporting you Art--come on you can do it!  Keep looking for that solution.  I'm giving you the benefit of a doubt...way too early for me to bail out on you.  Good luck!

Art,

It's the Art of Talk and not the Art of Music. As others have said, Dreamland was a home-run. Do that format. Just get on the radio and start talking. Build it and they will come.

Come on Art, kip it simple.