• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on February 01, 2015, 04:16:42 PM
Having said that, Art if you read this, please for the love of all that's holy, have another antichrist call in night. It's been waaaaaay too long.

Yes, so much yes to this Art. And more special hotlines like it. Anyone remember the show with people who had made a deal with devil, and also the Area 51 hotline is my all time favorite show. Also, what happened to Patsy AKA Harlot, I am sure others are curious about that as well! Long live Art Bell!

Quote from: littlechris on February 02, 2015, 07:06:44 PM
For those like myself who didn't/don't know the song by name.

http://youtu.be/ViN2bRGrBx8

I prefer the moody blues intro, its more energetic:

http://youtu.be/u1aAu59SlFA

Does anyone recall the terminator themed bumper music that Art had?  I think it was a commercial or parody. Was REALLY COOL!!!

For me, The Chase sets the mood for what Art does best.

I'm rather surprised that Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush"  never made it to Art's bumper music list.

The live version from Rust Never Sleeps absolutely kicks ass. The lyrics are so applicable to what Art covers:

Well, I dreamed I saw the knights
In armor coming,
Saying something about a queen.
There were peasants singing and
Drummers drumming
And the archer split the tree.
There was a fanfare blowing
To the sun
That was floating on the breeze.
Look at Mother Nature on the run
In the nineteen seventies.
Look at Mother Nature on the run
In the nineteen seventies.

I was lying in a burned out basement
With the full moon in my eyes.
I was hoping for replacement
When the sun burst thru the sky.
There was a band playing in my head
And I felt like getting high.
I was thinking about what a
Friend had said
I was hoping it was a lie.
Thinking about what a
Friend had said
I was hoping it was a lie.

Well, I dreamed I saw the silver
Space ships flying
In the yellow haze of the sun,
There were children crying
And colors flying
All around the chosen ones.
All in a dream, all in a dream
The loading had begun.
They were flying Mother Nature's
Silver seed to a new home in the sun.
Flying Mother Nature's
Silver seed to a new home.

albrecht

Art needs to use Maxine Nightengale "Right Back Where We Started From." Every time I hear that song I think of Art and the movie Slapshot. Both the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5II7m9XB5l8
And, "of course" some Crystal Gale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cmUpgvmFk4
And Cusco.
I could even tolerate a bit of ABBA (but not at every break!) And Gordon Lightfoot (one of the few times I was shocked that Art didn't know he wrote 'Sundown'!)

And, not the least, "The Ballad of the Grays"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2NugfmcFE0

btw: I hope on the new show Art does some "normal" interviews also. He had good ones with Merle Haggard, Carlin, Willie, Lightfoot, etc.

Quote from: albrecht on February 03, 2015, 11:21:24 AM
Art needs to use Maxine Nightengale "Right Back Where We Started From." Every time I hear that song I think of Art and the movie Slapshot. Both the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5II7m9XB5l8

It also fits in with what Art should be doing.

nika01

Just have to Bring up again how horrendous it is to listen to norry butcher interview after interview and how much I look forward to hearing Art again.

I simply don't understand how someone as clueless and talentless can keep on and on and on.

I feel better now.

DesertFox

So did Noory thank Art at the end of his show last night?

Quote from: nika01 on February 03, 2015, 11:55:14 AM
Just have to Bring up again how horrendous it is to listen to norry butcher interview after interview and how much I look forward to hearing Art again.

I simply don't understand how someone as clueless and talentless can keep on and on and on.

I feel better now.
Snorty is the epitome of the corporate guy that doesn't do shit and makes it to the top. He has reaped the rewards of all of Art's hard work and the intellectual property that Art developed. You just gotta know that Snorty has a set of knee pads in every color. He's gotta be giving the whole leadership team mostache rides.

Quote from: zeebo on February 02, 2015, 10:27:40 PM
Perhaps, but then we'd have missed the epic call asking if the alien ever munched on his frozen pizza rolls.  ;D

Yeah, that was a great line.

For me, hearing the alien in the freezer story the first time years ago was fine.  I'm up for a good yarn, especially with Art Bell.  Hearing it again, not so much.  I get that a 5 day a week show needs content, so maybe a retread guest like that is fine for a Tuesday night 7 months into a new show, but not on the first night.

Perhaps my post was a little harsh, but I truly never need to hear Horseshit Hoagland, Whiny Whitley, or Despicable Dames ever again.  I get that some may find Hoagie fun or entertaining, to me he's boring and tedious.  And obnoxious.

Delphi

I have another email. . Can someone credible check it to make sure it's ok before I post it.. I don't want to stir anything up or give anything up,  I can pm it to you

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on February 03, 2015, 11:15:31 AM
I'm rather surprised that Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush"  never made it to Art's bumper music list.

The live version from Rust Never Sleeps absolutely kicks ass. The lyrics are so applicable to what Art covers...

I second that.  Anything from Neil Young works for me

How about 'Helpless', which contains the lyrics:

Blue, blue windows behind the stars
Yellow moon on the rise
Big birds flying across the sky
Throwing shadows on our eyes...

coaster

Quote from: DanTSX on February 03, 2015, 07:22:00 AM

Meh

I don't need anyone with a vendetta to prove RCH as nutty.

I like RCH just as he is.  I don't need academics to prove how loony the guy is.
I really wouldn't call a man who is pointing out another man's lies as a "vendetta". But if you enjoy RCH, more power to you.

Danger!UFO

Art: I've never heard you play this one. It's from Elton John's 'Caribou' album. I think 1977.  Check it out!

Elton John I've Seen The Saucers

(Elton John / Bernie Taupin)

Tune in, wouldn't it be something
Rumors spreading into panic
I've seen movements in the clearing
Someone sent you something satanic

I have to leave you, radar's calling
Outside somebody landed
Crazy wavelengths leave you helpless
Oh don't forget me I'm so stranded

I wouldn't fool you but I've, I've seen the saucers
So many times I'm almost in tune
Watching them flying in formation
Thinking how I could be so immune

I've seen them, I've been there with them
I can tell you all you want to know
Something touched me and I was only sleeping
Wouldn't you, wouldn't you like to go?

Star climbing into their planets
Systems won, controlled from birth
Empty living on this highway
Can you see me mother earth?

It's so endless whirling on wards
Wonder what's cooking at home tonight
Maybe if I promise not to say a word
They can get me back before the morning light

I wouldn't fool you but I've, I've seen the saucers
So many times I'm almost in tune
Watching them flying in formation
Thinking how I could be so immune

I've seen them, I've been there with them
I can tell you all you want to know
Something touched me and I was only sleeping
Wouldn't you like to go?

Found this on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPm1u0-TTF0

Anyone else out there know this one? Classic Elton John. Great song!

LW

Quote from: astroguy on February 03, 2015, 02:54:07 AM
Since I've been PM'ed about this, I'll repeat what I wrote in response:  If something were ever set up on any radio show for a debate between me and Richard Hoagland, I will not debate him without VERY strict "rules of engagement" and topic selections.  Otherwise, he could easily pick some aspect of his mythology with which I'm unfamiliar and it would not be fair.  He's been spinning his stories for decades, and it would not be a fair debate for me to need to know his material as well as him.

Any topics would need to be agreed upon before-hand and should focus on a few specific science claims, and there should be time limits for statements and responses.  Richard loves the sound of his own voice (I can say that without fear of stating an ad hominem for everyone says this, including him) and so without time limits, Richard would by far dominate the conversation and it would be pointless for me or even the host to be there.

With all those one sided rules it would no longer be a debate but a knitting party with you having all the yarn, lol.

ItsOver

Art's got to have Hoagie on.  It was a hoot when he was on DM and you could visualize Jorch crapping a pizza roll.  Who really wants to kick their crazy uncle out of the attic?  Think of all the entertainment you'd miss when he's allowed out for the holidays.

LW

No matter what you say about Richard he is interesting and good listening. Whether it's all true who knows, but it is interesting.

Quote from: LW on February 03, 2015, 12:56:20 PM
No matter what you say about Richard he is interesting and good listening. Whether it's all true who knows, but it is interesting.
I feel the same way about Dames. Dames is science fiction with a capital S. What he says doesn't matter, it's how he says it. This is why I love Dames.

LW

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on February 03, 2015, 12:02:50 PM
Snorty is the epitome of the corporate guy that doesn't do shit and makes it to the top. He has reaped the rewards of all of Art's hard work and the intellectual property that Art developed. You just gotta know that Snorty has a set of knee pads in every color. He's gotta be giving the whole leadership team mostache rides.

Lol, no kidding, how could someone so inept, at least on the topics that Art did so well, ever get a show like this. The only thing I can think of is that the heads wanted someone they could control.

Quote from: DesertFox on February 03, 2015, 11:57:50 AM
So did Noory thank Art at the end of his show last night?

Apparently not. Who knows how long it'll stay that way, though. He's dropped it before and brought it right back.

DesertFox

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on February 03, 2015, 01:45:44 PM

Apparently not. Who knows how long it'll stay that way, though. He's dropped it before and brought it right back.

Thanks--it would be a good first step if Noory stuck to it this time.

Bonanza Pilot

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on February 03, 2015, 01:27:18 PM
I feel the same way about Dames. Dames is science fiction with a capital S. What he says doesn't matter, it's how he says it. This is why I love Dames.

I used to feel the same way about dames way back when, but he's such a arrogant BS artist that I just can't stomach to listen to any more of his non sense. The last time I heard him on I couldn't help but make snide comments after everything he said and turned my radio off after a few minutes of his BS. Even the way he talks infuriates me.

Ukraine is the safest place! - What a stupid sack of excrement.

astroguy

Quote from: LW on February 03, 2015, 12:51:56 PM
With all those one sided rules it would no longer be a debate but a knitting party with you having all the yarn, lol.
I disagree.  If you're going to debate, it must be about certain topics.  Saying I'm going to debate all of modern physics is just as unfair as Richard saying that he's going to debate all of his ideas.  I know nothing about the conspiracies he claims about the history of NASA, and I don't care.  I care about the very specific claims he makes about artifacts, hyperdimensional physics, and related things, because those are objective claims that you can go out and measure and study, and I have.

What I'm basically saying is that I don't want this to be something where he makes a claim, I debunk it, and then he just goes to a different claim, and then a different claim, and then a different one, until he finds one that I simply don't know about.  That's how these things usually go with pseudoscientists, and that's what I'm looking to avoid.  Read up on the Gish Gallop for what I mean.

nika01

I Would love it if someone pinned rch down about how he uses his old timex watch to measure anything but time. That alone would make my day.

wr250

Quote from: nika01 on February 03, 2015, 02:28:19 PM
I Would love it if someone pinned rch down about how he uses his old timex watch to measure anything but time. That alone would make my day.
time is like a river. it flows and has eddies. the watch detects the eddies ...

albrecht

Quote from: nika01 on February 03, 2015, 02:28:19 PM
Bulova Accutron! Not a Timex (Timex tick!) And it is all in the data. (I think it is something to do with the oscillation frequency of the crystal in that particular wrist-watch or the tuning-fork that allowed "no ticking" movement- but exactly how, or why, only that model is something I haven't heard sufficiently explained by Hoaxland.) I know NASA used them back when so I'm guessing this is where RCH developed his "theory."

Quote from: Bonanza Pilot on February 03, 2015, 02:06:29 PM
I used to feel the same way about dames way back when, but he's such a arrogant BS artist that I just can't stomach to listen to any more of his non sense. The last time I heard him on I couldn't help but make snide comments after everything he said and turned my radio off after a few minutes of his BS. Even the way he talks infuriates me.

Ukraine is the safest place! - What a stupid sack of excrement.

Yah, Ed kind of likes himself a little too much ;) Looking at Ed's website, it looks like he has no shortage of suckers.

BTW, I am jealous that you have a Bonanza... ;D

Bonanza Pilot

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on February 03, 2015, 02:40:18 PM
Yah, Ed kind of likes himself a little too much ;) Looking at Ed's website, it looks like he has no shortage of suckers.

BTW, I am jealous that you have a Bonanza... ;D

I actually own a 1978 Bellanca Super Viking now. Both are great planes, though.

LW

Quote from: astroguy on February 03, 2015, 02:15:22 PM
I disagree.  If you're going to debate, it must be about certain topics.  Saying I'm going to debate all of modern physics is just as unfair as Richard saying that he's going to debate all of his ideas.  I know nothing about the conspiracies he claims about the history of NASA, and I don't care.  I care about the very specific claims he makes about artifacts, hyperdimensional physics, and related things, because those are objective claims that you can go out and measure and study, and I have.

What I'm basically saying is that I don't want this to be something where he makes a claim, I debunk it, and then he just goes to a different claim, and then a different claim, and then a different one, until he finds one that I simply don't know about.  That's how these things usually go with pseudoscientists, and that's what I'm looking to avoid.  Read up on the Gish Gallop for what I mean.

Then what you are saying is that you are unqualified to debate him.

No shame in admitting someone knows more about a certain topic than you.

How you debate BS, if that is what Hoagland does, is by facts and being knowledgeable on the given topic. That way no matter what BS he comes up with you will have the facts to debunk with. Being able to think, walk and talk at the same time doesn't hurt.

I have a brother inlaw that only allows topics that he is knowledgeable in to be spoken when he is around, only one really. So if another topic comes up he will turn red and not say anything, but the following week he will come with something from left field. After thinking about it you realize that he researched the topic last week and is responding to the topic from last week. Once I had to think back a month to know what the hell he was talking about.

ks3484

Quote from: astroguy on February 03, 2015, 03:35:06 AM
Richard is very good at making it seem as though he has proven his point.  What I would have to be able to do is to concisely explain why his argument is flawed.  Therefore, I have to be familiar with many of his arguments.  Which I am.
Astroguy, this is an observation made a long long time ago:

Granting that you and I argue. If you beat me, and not I you, are you necessarily right and I wrong? Or if I beat you and not you me, am I necessarily right and you wrong? Or are we both partly right and partly wrong? Or are we both wholly right or wholly wrong? You and I cannot know this, and consequently the world will be in ignorance of the truth.

Who shall I employ as arbiter between us? If I employ some one who takes your view, he will side with you. How can such a one arbitrate between us? If I employ some one who takes my view, he will side with me. How can such a one arbitrate between us? And if I employ some one who either differs from or agrees with both of us, he will be equally unable to decide between us. Therefore, since you and I and another cannot decide, must we not wait for still others?

{Chuang Tzu}