• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: nooryisawesome on March 21, 2019, 08:34:39 PM
I also would not call the MITD a failure under Art. He was on the verge of MITD going national on Cumulus. He also had built a base of affiliates 50+ some of them major, all within 6 months.

That was way beyond my expections for a  old dude who hadn’t been relevant in 2 decades.

agreed.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: nooryisawesome on March 21, 2019, 08:34:39 PM
I thought Art made it clear he wasn’t expecting the massive numbers that he used to get. I also would not call the MITD a failure under Art. He was on the verge of MITD going national on Cumulus. He also had built a base of affiliates 50+ some of them major, all within 6 months.

That was way beyond my expections for a  old dude who hadn’t been relevant in 2 decades.

Of course he said he said he wasn't expecting big numbers, it's common practice to set expectations low in such situations.  It's called sandbagging, makes it easy to claim success with marginal achievements.  As for citing number of affiliates as a measure of success, haven't we seen George poo pooed here for doing the same thing with C2C? Number of listeners is a better metric, and we agree Bell's MITD numbers were low. Besides, as I recall MITD was offered to stations free of charge.  The Cumulus thing I remember being talked about, but didn't know if it was factual or just a story floated to annoy C2C/Premiere.  Even if true, you can bet there is a Cumulus exec somewhere thanking his lucky stars he didn't pull the trigger on that deal.

Overall the show was not very good, with frequent turn over in staff, public rows with Roland, technical glitches, dud guests and Bell's obvious frustration and growing disenchantment with the program.  As FtF can attest, a couple months in I predicted Bell would bail before Christmas, his vexatious were that evident. All that said you can use whatever yardstick you wish to measure the relative success/failure of Bell's MITD, it doesn't change the basic premise of my position.  In 2019, Bell is little more than a tabloidish footnote in radio history, with HW not even approaching footnote status.  Between Bell's continued narcissistic shitting on his fans and Wade's increasingly bizarre and disturbed behavior, her story would be of little interest to all but a very few.

Lilith

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 22, 2019, 08:19:10 AM
Of course he said he said he wasn't expecting big numbers, it's common practice to set expectations low in such situations.  It's called sandbagging, makes it easy to claim success with marginal achievements.  As for citing number of affiliates as a measure of success, haven't we seen George poo pooed here for doing the same thing with C2C? Number of listeners is a better metric, and we agree Bell's MITD numbers were low. Besides, as I recall MITD was offered to stations free of charge.  The Cumulus thing I remember being talked about, but didn't know if it was factual or just a story floated to annoy C2C/Premiere.  Even if true, you can bet there is a Cumulus exec somewhere thanking his lucky stars he didn't pull the trigger on that deal.

Overall the show was not very good, with frequent turn over in staff, public rows with Roland, technical glitches, dud guests and Bell's obvious frustration and growing disenchantment with the program.  As FtF can attest, a couple months in I predicted Bell would bail before Christmas, his vexatious were that evident. All that said you can use whatever yardstick you wish to measure the relative success/failure of Bell's MITD, it doesn't change the basic premise of my position.  In 2019, Bell is little more than a tabloidish footnote in radio history, with HW not even approaching footnote status.  Between Bell's continued narcissistic shitting on his fans and Wade's increasingly bizarre and disturbed behavior, her story would be of little interest to all but a very few.

I think Art's show started going down hill, when he started calling people wingnuts, during the 9/11 days.  When he tried to come back with a mostly paranormal focus, all he really had then was a replay of old guests, and old topics, that were interesting curiosities back in the 90's, but just basically "replays" of the same people telling the same stories, just growing older.  It's the same issue for todays paranormal show hosts IMO.

In the pre wingnut days of CoastToCoast, Art covered shocking events in the news.  Everything was new and important to people. He covered Hurricanes with open lines from people in the area, as well as political "conspiracies".  Once he went "wingnut" all he had left was replays of paranormal guests, nothing new and intriguing anymore.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: brig on March 22, 2019, 08:44:03 AM
When he tried to come back with a mostly paranormal focus, all he really had then was a replay of old guests, and old topics, that were interesting curiosities back in the 90's, but just basically "replays" of the same people telling the same stories, just growing older.  It's the same issue for todays paranormal show hosts IMO.

agreed

ItsOver

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 22, 2019, 08:19:10 AM
Of course he said he said he wasn't expecting big numbers, it's common practice to set expectations low in such situations.  It's called sandbagging, makes it easy to claim success with marginal achievements.  As for citing number of affiliates as a measure of success, haven't we seen George poo pooed here for doing the same thing with C2C?...
Yes, but Jorch sucks.  I'm not staying up for Doc Wallet or the numbers nut. 

Jackstar

He was successful enough to start getting threats. It's a pity he wasn't so successful at dealing with that.

Catsmile

# Art Would've Been A Blazing AM Radio Star Again...
# If It Weren't For That Dastardly Stalker!
# Rite?!

# Why Art Moved The Stalker Into The Cuckshack We'll Nevar Know.
# Art Must Have Took The Old Saying Literally.
# "Keep Your Friends Close, And Your Enemies Closer."

# BOOM!
# Slammed The Cuckshack Door!!1

Jackstar

It must be surreal having to pretend to be stupid all the time. I suppose some of these psyop clown retards do get a bit of a break, though.

I think people remember C2C different that reality. MITD was just as good as any Art Bell shows in my opinion.

Noory gets poo pooed for mentioning affiliates because his listener numbers are down from Art. Art was taking a no name show on some backwoods internet “network” and making it go national within 6 months. Decades after he had been relevant. That’s a big difference than inheriting a show with a large listener base.

Epaphroditus

Quote from: nooryisawesome on March 22, 2019, 05:56:46 PM
I think people remember C2C different that reality. MITD was just as good as any Art Bell shows in my opinion.

Noory gets poo pooed for mentioning affiliates because his listener numbers are down from Art. Art was taking a no name show on some backwoods internet “network” and making it go national within 6 months. Decades after he had been relevant. That’s a big difference than inheriting a show with a large listener base.

Credit to Art but having a pro such as Keith Rowland maintaining the network was how they got affiliates .

Quote from: nooryisawesome on March 22, 2019, 05:56:46 PM

I’d also wager that if Noory took off 10 years and launched a radio show, it would have as about much traction as Schraders show.

Lilith

Quote from: nooryisawesome on March 24, 2019, 12:17:02 PM
I’d also wager that if Noory took off 10 years and launched a radio show, it would have as about much traction as Schraders show.

Truth!

ItsOver

I’d also wager that if Noory took off 10 years ...
Heart be still.  Can he take this guy and his stooges with him?

Uncle Duke

Oh, I don't know.  If ten years down the road George asked his fans, and even I have to admit he has lots of them for some reason, to act as shills by blitzing local stations asking them to pick up free programming during the least profitable time slot in commercial radio, I think he could cobble together a similar package to what MITD had.  PDs would know, or would research, the name, and they would not have to worry about the guy bring a serial quitter.  He'd get a shot based on previous commercial track record and fan support. 

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on March 24, 2019, 01:42:47 PM
Heart be still.  Can he take this guy and his stooges with him?

I spend a few days at a relatives back east and he had a chicken coup. It was awesome to get fresh, good tasting eggs daily but at some point it almost got too much. Give eggs to neighbors, bring eggs to work and give to folks, and eat eggs all the time. I thought of Doc Wallet collecting the eggs one morning and chuckled and shook my head and was going to tell my cousin but bit back my tongue since you can't really discuss C2C with normal people.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on March 24, 2019, 03:55:53 PM
I spend a few days at a relatives back east and he had a chicken coup. It was awesome to get fresh, good tasting eggs daily but at some point it almost got too much. Give eggs to neighbors, bring eggs to work and give to folks, and eat eggs all the time. I thought of Doc Wallet collecting the eggs one morning and chuckled and shook my head and was going to tell my cousin but bit back my tongue since you can't really discuss C2C with normal people.
Ha! I hope you had at least 4 dozen a day to keep Doc Wallet happy.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on March 24, 2019, 03:55:53 PM

Reminds me of the folks I used to work with who had gardens.  In the fall the break rooms and common areas would be awash in tomatoes, peppers, and gourds.  It got so bad an edict was made that no more produce could left out for others due to the gnats and fruit flies being attracted.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 24, 2019, 04:08:47 PM
Reminds me of the folks I used to work with who had gardens.  In the fall the break rooms and common areas would be awash in tomatoes, peppers, and gourds.  It got so bad an edict was made that no more produce could left out for others due to the gnats and fruit flies being attracted.
Ha! Yeah, sometimes I wonder if staff (nurses, security, administration assistants, etc) he gives eggs to all the time actually want the eggs or afraid to decline to refuse free eggs given by the boss?  Oddly his neighbor, high-priced lawyer, has gotten into bees. So they trade eggs for good honey. I think both of them were raised in the country as kids and so a way to reclaim a bit of the past? Or just need a hobby and one that gives you something? Neither has a garden though (the over population of deer means you would need to high-fence it.)

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on March 24, 2019, 04:05:43 PM
Ha! I hope you had at least 4 dozen a day to keep Doc Wallet happy.

Doc Wallet would've been proud of me, though I couldn't get that many down. I'm no Paul Newman.

Artbell.com

It’s been updated. Could use some help.

Jackstar

Who's helping?

ItsOver

I had "Somewhere in Time" on last Saturday, from March 23, 2019.  Art was talking with nut job Lori Toye, who was going on about her wild catastrophic predictions.  What was interesting was somehow, her birth date came up.  She giggled and stated she was actually born on April 13th.  A Friday the 13th.  About as weird as a few SIT's ago, Art was chuckling about rumors of his death being "premature."

Uncle Duke

Quote from: ItsOver on March 27, 2019, 08:44:18 AM
I had "Somewhere in Time" on last Saturday, from March 23, 2019.  Art was talking with nut job Lori Toye, who was going on about her wild catastrophic predictions.  What was interesting was somehow, her birth date came up.  She giggled and stated she was actually born on April 13th.  A Friday the 13th.  About as weird as a few SIT's ago, Art was chuckling about rumors of his death being "premature."

Is that the tombstone HW designed?

Lilith

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 27, 2019, 09:28:48 AM

Were there other submissions?

And what about the park bench people donated for?

ItsOver

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 27, 2019, 09:28:48 AM
I'm sure Heater is still working on her design.

Morgus

Quote from: ItsOver on March 27, 2019, 08:44:18 AM

Coming up on the first Apr 13 anniversary in a couple weeks, almost one year already!

ItsOver

Quote from: Morgus on March 27, 2019, 01:16:34 PM
Coming up on the first Apr 13 anniversary in a couple weeks, almost one year already!
Yep.  Time flies when you're dead.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Morgus on March 27, 2019, 01:16:34 PM

Or to look at it another way, on 13 Apr he'll have been dead better than twice as long as MitD and DM lasted combined.  Kinda puts things in perspective.

ItsOver

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 27, 2019, 01:37:14 PM
Or, he's been dead twice as long as MitD and DM lasted combined.  Kinda puts things in perspective.
Good point.

"Death, I can't quit you.  Damn."