• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

mikemcc

With regard to non-compete clauses in radio contracts, I'm no expert. But I certainly have heard radio personalities on one program or station on a Friday and then on a different program or station the following Monday. It happens all the time. I don't know that it is even standard practice to have non-compete clauses in radio contracts or other entertainment-oriented contracts. In some cases, I can see where a company or an owner might remove an on-air personality and keep on paying him or her until that person's contract was set to expire -- then one wouldn't expect to hear that personality back on the air until the contract expired. Someone mentioned Conan -- am I remembering correctly that the time he would be off the air was determined during negotiations after NBC had already decided to bring Leno back? I thought he still had quite a bit of time left on his contract with NBC and they let him out of it early in return for some concessions from him -- like he wouldn't bad-mouth them anymore and he would wait for a certain amount of time before starting a new show on another network. NBC could have kept on paying him, even though he would no longer be the host of the Tonight Show, and he wouldn't have been able to go to another network.

I don't know when Art's contract was set to expire. I think someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I'm too lazy to go look it up right now. Maybe someone who posts in this forum and is also involved in radio will know if non-compete clauses are standard in radio. If they are, how do so many hosts manage to play musical chairs with radio programs?

Quote from: mikemcc on February 03, 2011, 10:11:45 AM
With regard to non-compete clauses in radio contracts, I'm no expert. But I certainly have heard radio personalities on one program or station on a Friday and then on a different program or station the following Monday. It happens all the time. I don't know that it is even standard practice to have non-compete clauses in radio contracts or other entertainment-oriented contracts. In some cases, I can see where a company or an owner might remove an on-air personality and keep on paying him or her until that person's contract was set to expire -- then one wouldn't expect to hear that personality back on the air until the contract expired. Someone mentioned Conan -- am I remembering correctly that the time he would be off the air was determined during negotiations after NBC had already decided to bring Leno back? I thought he still had quite a bit of time left on his contract with NBC and they let him out of it early in return for some concessions from him -- like he wouldn't bad-mouth them anymore and he would wait for a certain amount of time before starting a new show on another network. NBC could have kept on paying him, even though he would no longer be the host of the Tonight Show, and he wouldn't have been able to go to another network.

I don't know when Art's contract was set to expire. I think someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I'm too lazy to go look it up right now. Maybe someone who posts in this forum and is also involved in radio will know if non-compete clauses are standard in radio. If they are, how do so many hosts manage to play musical chairs with radio programs?

Excellent points. Another thing to consider is that some are assuming that Art did in fact sign a non-compete agreement. Art certainly would hold the upper hand during negotiations for a new contract and I really do not believe that he would even sign a non-compete.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on February 03, 2011, 11:01:16 AM
Excellent points. Another thing to consider is that some are assuming that Art did in fact sign a non-compete agreement. Art certainly would hold the upper hand during negotiations for a new contract and I really do not believe that he would even sign a non-compete.

I think people are thinking more about Art than Art is thinking about Art.

Quote from: Marc Knight on February 03, 2011, 12:34:18 PM

I think people are thinking more about Art than Art is thinking about Art.

After all he has been through, I don't blame him for hanging it up.

MV/Liberace!

I have only had to sign a no-compete contract one time in radio.  After about a year working for the company who made me sign it, another station heard me and decided to steal me away for about twice as much money. When I notified the regional manager that I was leaving the company, here's how the conversation literally went:

Me:  I'm going to go work for another company.  They are offering me a significantly larger amount of money than you are paying me.

Asshat:  But you signed a no-compete contract!

Me:  The Illinois State Legislature has passed a law rendering that an illegal contract.

Asshat:  No, that only applies to contracts signed after the law was passed.

Me:  Well, I don't care either way.  I'm going to go work for them.  Here's my two weeks notice.

Asshat:  Ok.

I never heard another word about it.  That was 8 years ago.

anagrammy

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on February 03, 2011, 12:59:24 PM
After all he has been through, I don't blame him for hanging it up.

I see this thread as a tribute to Art--how could he NOT be lovin' it?  Who doesn't want to morph into legend rather than just disappear?

Even normal people wonder if they will be missed when they're gone. Imagine what an expanded personality like Art, the consummate world facilitator of all things weirdness, wondering what will happen to the mutant Coast show he raised from infancy...will the fans accept Noory Hot Air?  Or will they bolt?  How will he know?  As the audience drifts off, new listeners will wonder how it ever had such high ratings.  We are here to introduce him to Arts Parts and the whole Coast culture.

He will be monitoring the situation and, since we cannot communicate with Art,  the highest compliment we can give him is to keep him alive here on Coastgab, sharing funny/weird excerpts from old shows and honing the qualities Art had that we so sorely miss. 

Anagrammy

awguy

Quote from: Merchant Gal on January 24, 2011, 09:05:40 AM
Mentioned somewhere above is Doug McIntyre's Red Eye Radio, as an alternate to Snorry.  Here is a link to Doug's website.  Lo and behold, there is a ststion listed for him that I can receive.

http://dougmcintyreonline.com/

Red eye radio is a fantastic show, I've been listening for about 6 months now. This is the show that replaced Coast to Coast on WABC in New York and thus that's how I discovered it. It's only been in syndication about a year and already has close to 50 affiliates. It's a general interest talk show (so not really paranormal in nature). They have the occasional guest but basically it's open lines all night long. Topics range anything from sports, to music to politics to books. The host is very well educated in all of these areas.  This show reminds me a bit of Art Bell circa 1995 before he went all paranormal all the time when he used to just do open lines every night.

Quote from: Michael V. on February 03, 2011, 01:25:34 PM
I have only had to sign a no-compete contract one time in radio.  After about a year working for the company who made me sign it, another station heard me and decided to steal me away for about twice as much money. When I notified the regional manager that I was leaving the company, here's how the conversation literally went:

Me:  I'm going to go work for another company.  They are offering me a significantly larger amount of money than you are paying me.

Asshat:  But you signed a no-compete contract!

Me:  The Illinois State Legislature has passed a law rendering that an illegal contract.

Asshat:  No, that only applies to contracts signed after the law was passed.

Me:  Well, I don't care either way.  I'm going to go work for them.  Here's my two weeks notice.

Asshat:  Ok.

I never heard another word about it.  That was 8 years ago.

Exactly! And good for you for standing up to the asshat.

I tried to make the point earlier, but was stupidly in rant mode (again, my bad Tmock).  Non-competes are not enforceable when it is about a person earning a living in their trade. Art's trade is radio, and he can, without a doubt, earn a living in the medium if he so choses.  He can't call the show Coast to Coast, obviously, but otherwise, he should be good to go.

The only legal grounds that PremRad, ClearChannel , whatever, might have with Art right now would be breach of contract.  If memory serves, he was under contract for 14 shows a year, and did not meet that number.  Probably not much they can do about it, though, unless they paid him upfront and he refuses to refund the difference.

Put simply - Art is off the air, and it is his choice.

UFO Geek

Just a quick FYI: I know some are speculating that Art may be back in Pahrump, or hoping he is anyway. A few minutes ago I heard from a person who talks with Art a bunch. Art is still in Manila. (And I will not drop the informants name, sorry.)
Okay... let's start on the next phase of wishful thinking and hoping.

73... Mike (KG7UFO)

Mary O

I just logged onto Fantastic Forum, what is going on with the site.  It's all white and I had trouble even getting it to come up.  Anybody know anything.

FortRock

Hi Mike from KI6EQT, I'm one of probably hundreds of Hams who were encouraged to get their licence by Art, I'm working on my General right now! I think the operative question for this source is on Art's departure from Coast, not Manila. Did you ask your source (call him Manila Throat?) about Art and putting a new show on the air either from Manila or Pahrump? I think you know a bit more that you've told us here!

UFO Geek

KI6EQT, "Manila Throat"  ;D  That's awesome!  I will keep my ears open wide to see if any further updates point toward some type of show in our future. Maybe I do know a wee bit more, but it's not juicy enough (yet) to get too excited about.  I too desire some sort of Art Bell comeback, preferably one that will involve a regular schedule, with some awesome guests, hosted with Art's knowledge and amazing radio personality.  - Fingers crossed -
73... KG7UFO

coastfan

Is this of any substance UFO Geek? Should we get our hopes up? -fingers crossed

UFO Geek

The source "Manila Throat" knows Art (good history), but not enough data has been shared to define the amount of substance yet. I listen carefully to what is said, noting hints or 'slips' that might tell a better story.  "Manila Throat" is not giving up much more than tidbits so far. Don't give up hope, always keep it. And keep those fingers crossed. I do wish I had more and better data to share. I guess I should have taken that Remote Viewing course... :)
Art... if you are reading all these pleas, posts, prayers, wishes, desires, hopes... please consider returning to the air waves... so we may once again be vibrated each night with frequencies that enlighten, entertain, and teach.  73... KG7UFO

Art's never once made me vibrate all night. I may be listening to my radio incorrectly though.

MV/Liberace!

ufo geek... u seem credible to me.  please keep us posted, and probe for more information.

heater

Quote from: Michael V. on February 04, 2011, 04:47:41 PM
ufo geek... u seem credible to me.  please keep us posted, and probe for more information.

Michael - please don't use the words "ufo" and "probe" in the same post

b_dubb

Quote from: UFO Geek on February 03, 2011, 10:08:00 PM
The source "Manila Throat" knows Art (good history), but not enough data has been shared to define the amount of substance yet. I listen carefully to what is said, noting hints or 'slips' that might tell a better story.  "Manila Throat" is not giving up much more than tidbits so far. Don't give up hope, always keep it. And keep those fingers crossed. I do wish I had more and better data to share. I guess I should have taken that Remote Viewing course... :)
Art... if you are reading all these pleas, posts, prayers, wishes, desires, hopes... please consider returning to the air waves... so we may once again be vibrated each night with frequencies that enlighten, entertain, and teach.  73... KG7UFO

let Art retire for crying out loud.  the guy wants to spend time with his family.  he's done.  he's probably 60++ and just wanting to hang out, mess with his radio, and dream of the good old days when he used to smoke like a chimney

SheilaVG

Quote from: b_dubb on February 04, 2011, 05:17:30 PM

let Art retire for crying out loud.  the guy wants to spend time with his family.  he's done.  he's probably 60++ and just wanting to hang out, mess with his radio, and dream of the good old days when he used to smoke like a chimney

I tend to agree but I just think the reasons we are discussing this are mainly we hate to think Art was in some way treated unfairly or felt he had to leave because of something that was done or said or the way the show is or is not being managed or is morphing into a tabloid/infomercial type program.

Also, I think we feel it's strange that he said nothing. He usually does and that would bring us all back to my first points. We just hope he's okay for the most part and hope we can hear him again sometime... as he enjoys his new life and family.

Sheila

FortRock

Art would have talked with us IF HE COULD. Also there is another person in the mix who's out of contact, and that's Alan Corbeth! Art has always cared for us fans!

Quote from: Fort Rock on February 05, 2011, 10:29:18 AM
Art would have talked with us IF HE COULD. Also there is another person in the mix who's out of contact, and that's Alan Corbeth! Art has always cared for us fans!

Why didn't he post something short and cryptic on FF then? Is this how severe the gag order is?

Merchant Gal

OK, how's THIS for paranoia: PremRad and whoever all the other Powers That Be are, are Monitoring COASTGAB, the FF, and all other likely Forums that have anything to do at all with Art Bell, for signs of Art announcing his future plans. 

Speculation: Art had a buyout of his contract, and he gets to keep the money if and only if, he keeps quiet completely for a given period of time.  Hush Money, as it were.  We SHALL hear from Art, eventually, at a time that only he knows for sure. 

Art wil be 66 on June 17th of this year.  He can receive his full Social Security at that age, and since he earned big bucks  for many years, he wiill receive the current maximum of 2346 per month.   Not that he needs it, but he has earned it and is entitled to it.  Perhaps this impending milestone has caused him to Really Fully Retire ....... until the itch to broascast returns, and it always has, has it not !!  KEEP THE FAITH !!

I wouldn't be surprised if he's made so much money by now, he won't notice until Christmas that the Social Security checks are coming in.

awguy

With the Superbowl coming up tomorrow, I've been thinking. Aren't the Packers Art's favourite team? I'm pretty sure they are. Although I think I recall him mentioning the Oakland Radiers a couple times.

SheilaVG

Quote from: Do you think it was angels? on February 05, 2011, 10:35:04 AM
Why didn't he post something short and cryptic on FF then? Is this how severe the gag order is?

You know how he likes surprises. He's just waiting for the right time.

toxicmop

Maybe Art just doesn't care anymore

Marc.Knight

Quote from: toxicmop on February 06, 2011, 12:38:52 AM
Maybe Art just doesn't care anymore

Everything here is basically conjecture, but I agree with you. 

If I:

had millions of dollars in the bank
    was in my mid-60's
    had a beautiful young family
    lived in a tropical country
    had access to my favorite hobby (ham radio)
    left behind a great legacy...

... I would be doing exactly what Art is doing.

Fly By Night

How much money has Art made over the years? I'm sure he is well off, but his home in NV is no palace, and he was always talking about how cheap Manilia is to live in.

Anyway, it's true Art has money, a young child and wife, but Art (and I say this liking him and his broadcast style) has a touch of Narcissism. Between that and his absolute love for radio, my guess is his personality will not allow him to stay away from radio for too long. I'd bet that is he looking for another venue where he can broadcast a few times a month. C2C screwed him over, so he probably is waiting for a new opportunity. As for his silence, I think it is just him trying to be mysterious while enjoying reading blogs like this one.

SheilaVG

What's the name of the site where it says something like, "Stay tuned for an announcement from Art"? It's not Imaginative Worlds.

sherry440

I would give anything to hear a new broadcast from Art..........but I bet he's on that slice of paradise he talked about moving to. Has anybody listened to Doug MacIntyre-Redeye Radio?? It is the best thing I've found since C2C lost ARt. I refuse (!) to listen to even one sentence of Snoory.