• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Roswells, Art

Quote from: 73s on May 27, 2016, 04:24:32 PM
Yes I used to hear him regularly on 80 m, around 3.7 MHz (don't recall the exact freq). It was when I lived in Arizona. I'm out on the east coast now and can't hear him, but he was recently interviewed on a ham podcast and said he wasn't on the ham bands anymore either, due to harassment (which frankly IS a problem on that band and it isn't just because of his fame).

Yeah, I could be mistaken but I seem to remember when he was interviewing the guy from 73 magazine and he (Art) talked about trolls ruining the bands back then. Sorry if I got the terminology wrong.

Roswells, Art

Yes I used to hear him regularly on 80 m, around 3.7 MHz (don't recall the exact freq). It was when I lived in Arizona. I'm out on the east coast now and can't hear him, but he was recently interviewed on a ham podcast and said he wasn't on the ham bands anymore either, due to harassment (which frankly IS a problem on that band and it isn't just because of his fame).

Also, the part I bolded is so fucking cool.

I might be a dork.

Morgus

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 27, 2016, 05:03:07 PM
Yeah, I could be mistaken but I seem to remember when he was interviewing the guy from 73 magazine and he (Art) talked about trolls ruining the bands back then. Sorry if I got the terminology wrong.
Was that Wayne Green?

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Morgus on May 27, 2016, 05:10:51 PM
Was that Wayne Green?

Yeah, so that was in the 90's, eh? They are called trolls now but they didn't have a name for them back then.

Rix Gins

Quote from: 73s on May 27, 2016, 05:02:44 PM
That has a ring to it, you might be right.  I bet it's posted on the net somewhere too. This was also in 2002, so in more recent years he may or may not have kept at that same frequency.

There are nasty "battles" for who has the right to transmit on a given frequency on that band.  It's been that way for decades but it has gotten a lot worse. Threats are made and people run high power and jam each other. It's the same as on CB radio (if that's even around anymore, I think they all moved to ham bands).

I remember he was fond of a lady ham named Bonnie Crystal. I used to hear her in their little chat group too. She was on C2C one night too if I recall, talking about going caving or something. She was big into portable/backpack ham radio operations.

Actually Bonnie was on C2C a number of times.  I remember one show where she was talking to Art from the inside of a cave somewhere far away like in Venezuela or Chile.  She e-mailed Art photos of two big rocks that she had named Art and Ramona.

73s

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 27, 2016, 05:07:46 PM
Also, the part I bolded is so fucking cool.

I might be a dork.

Well I'm a dork as well (after all, I'm Sheldon, lol), but I used to find the "roundtable" discussions on 80m fascinating. It was a different side of Art. And I liked the technical topics. They used to send slow-scan television back and forth to one another too, I believe.

73s

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 27, 2016, 05:19:49 PM
She e-mailed Art photos of two big rocks that she had named Art and Ramona.

Ha, that's cool. She had (or still has) a Yahoo group called "HFPack" for backpacking hams. I was a member for awhile but never really got into it much.

73s

There was drama on the ham bands with Art too.  I didn't follow it closely but found this little gem by doing a Google search:

http://hamfanzrants.blogspot.com/2007/09/i-am-amazed-that-anyone-on-3678-even.html?m=1

Roswells, Art

Quote from: 73s on May 27, 2016, 05:24:13 PM
Well I'm a dork as well (after all, I'm Sheldon, lol), but I used to find the "roundtable" discussions on 80m fascinating. It was a different side of Art. And I liked the technical topics. They used to send slow-scan television back and forth to one another too, I believe.

Art was so interesting that he got me interested in Ham radio. I keep bugging my dad for his old one. I guess my brother took out a bulb from it a long time ago. My dad thinks they don't make them anymore.

I think it's only a receiver anyway.

JesusJuice

Quote from: Tricky-D on May 27, 2016, 01:57:47 PM

theONE made this happen. Meme magic is real and it's dangerous and not to be messed around with.

albrecht

Quote from: 73s on May 27, 2016, 05:30:09 PM
There was drama on the ham bands with Art too.  I didn't follow it closely but found this little gem by doing a Google search:

http://hamfanzrants.blogspot.com/2007/09/i-am-amazed-that-anyone-on-3678-even.html?m=1
Wow. Nice find.

NXOEED

Mt. Ord Repeater 145.41  represent

PaulAtreides

Here, Art.  Read these posts.  They'll cheer you up.
#ChickenTrump

73s

Quote from: NXOEED on May 27, 2016, 05:34:02 PM
Mt. Ord Repeater 145.41  represent

It's been decades since I lived in the Phoenix area now. I knew Mt. Ord had a machine but I don't think I was on it much. I used to be a "regular" on 22/82 in Phoenix and used to listen to the 146.94 swap net (I think that was the repeater). We're talking back in the 1980s now...

73s

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 27, 2016, 05:30:56 PM
Art was so interesting that he got me interested in Ham radio. I keep bugging my dad for his old one. I guess my brother took out a bulb from it a long time ago. My dad thinks they don't make them anymore.

I think it's only a receiver anyway.

It is a cool hobby. Although my interests have changed a lot over the years. I started out just wanting to talk. Now, I find I don't really want to talk to most of the people on the bands. But I do enjoy building kits and circuits to put on the air. It's a lot of fun especially if you get to the stage where you're putting together your own designs.

I'd say to get into it if you still have an interest, but be warned that the demographic is typically angry men over 70! I just came back from the huge Dayton hamfest (biggest ham event in the US, probably the world) and can verify that this is indeed the case. But there's a lot of cool techie things going on with it if you're in to that.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: 73s on May 27, 2016, 05:51:36 PM
It is a cool hobby. Although my interests have changed a lot over the years. I started out just wanting to talk. Now, I find I don't really want to talk to most of the people on the bands. But I do enjoy building kits and circuits to put on the air. It's a lot of fun especially if you get to the stage where you're putting together your own designs.

I'd say to get into it if you still have an interest, but be warned that the demographic is typically angry men over 70! I just came back from the huge Dayton hamfest (biggest ham event in the US, probably the world) and can verify that this is indeed the case. But there's a lot of cool techie things going on with it if you're in to that.

Yeah, the old dudes that don't want women encroaching on their territory do make me hesitate. It doesn't matter though, I am still interested in all it entails.

albrecht

Ha. I wonder who they will vote for? ?I never got /into HAMS but a several years ago I broke out my CB for a long roadtrip to Big Bend (where, at least at the time, no cell coverage) and there was still folks using them. And some of the accents and lingo made me think it was still the early 70s it was nice! And I convinced my buddy in the other truck to get one and in the middle of nowhere it was fun to communicate between vehicles. I even have a CB/Cop Lingo Book(all the various 10-codes that various PDs use and all the CB lingo) that was published back in the CB crazy. It is funny.

NXOEED

Quote from: 73s on May 27, 2016, 05:46:53 PM
It's been decades since I lived in the Phoenix area now. I knew Mt. Ord had a machine but I don't think I was on it much. I used to be a "regular" on 22/82 in Phoenix and used to listen to the 146.94 swap net (I think that was the repeater). We're talking back in the 1980s now...

Is that the South Mountain one? I'm in PHX. I have 'em all programmed into my scanner. I'm not a HAM but I love to listen to the conversations. That's all frequency scanners like mine (a Realistic from 1989) are good for these days.

NXOEED

My favorites are the ones where husbands on camping trips are calling their wives to tell them they love them.

73s

Quote from: NXOEED on May 27, 2016, 06:04:57 PM
Is that the South Mountain one? I'm in PHX. I have 'em all programmed into my scanner. I'm not a HAM but I love to listen to the conversations. That's all frequency scanners like mine (a Realistic from 1989) are good for these days.

No the 94 repeater was on the White Tanks mtns west of Phoenix.  82 was in downtown, on top of a bank building it seems like.

73s

Quote from: albrecht on May 27, 2016, 05:59:57 PM
I even have a CB/Cop Lingo Book(all the various 10-codes that various PDs use and all the CB lingo) that was published back in the CB crazy. It is funny.

The CB guys often have their own language. They talk with a weird cadence and thick accent that I have trouble understanding!  I used to play on it with my friends when I was a kid. But got my ham license soon after and didn't go back to it.

TigerLily

Quote from: 73s on May 27, 2016, 05:30:09 PM

Thanks for posting this link, 73s. I  thought trolling and anonymous backbiting was born on the internet. But of course it's as old as human nature. We just have new toys for it

WOTR

I'd say to get into it if you still have an interest, but be warned that the demographic is typically angry men over 70!
Now the question I am left with is if it is cranky old 70 year old men who are jamming each other and having these childish "spats", or if it is the younger generation (get of my lawn band.)

albrecht

Quote from: 73s on May 27, 2016, 06:27:04 PM
The CB guys often have their own language. They talk with a weird cadence and thick accent that I have trouble understanding!  I used to play on it with my friends when I was a kid. But got my ham license soon after and didn't go back to it.
It really threw me for a loop. I don't mind the accent, think mainly mid-South, Texan, Midwest, etc it seems but the fact that they were still using some of the lingo and that the accent hadn't changed much. Funny. Actually we, sorta drunkenly, came up with the idea to break out the CBs for our trip after watching "Convoy" late one night. And I was like "we need to bring that back!!"
ps: I've heard that DHS is forcing PDs to go away from 10 codes and to consolidate channels and language. Since mostly digital now no need and because different departments/agencies used different codes. But I still hear them when I use my scanner app so maybe it was never implemented?

Firefighter

Quote from: rekcuf on May 27, 2016, 03:19:06 PM
I'm sure the police are on the verge of making an arrest. They're getting closer everyday...

This ^ +1

Mr. Fidget

[attachment id=1 msg=823853]
[attachment id=2 msg=823853]
[attachment id=3 msg=823853]
[attachment id=4 msg=823853]

albrecht

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on May 27, 2016, 10:47:07 PM

[attachment id=3 msg=823853]

With regard to the 3rd, read Spinoza and Leibniz.
ps: keep on Figeting! I like your stuff. Hope the move was successful!

73s

Quote from: WOTR on May 27, 2016, 09:01:18 PM
Now the question I am left with is if it is cranky old 70 year old men who are jamming each other and having these childish "spats", or if it is the younger generation (get of my lawn band.)

On ham radio there really isn't a younger generation, at least not one of enough size to be very significant.

73s

Quote from: TigerLily on May 27, 2016, 08:19:44 PM
Thanks for posting this link, 73s. I  thought trolling and anonymous backbiting was born on the internet. But of course it's as old as human nature. We just have new toys for it

No I'm pretty sure Art has a band of ham haters that go way back to pre-Internet.  And I remember on-air bickering and trolling back in the 1980s, for all I know it could have originated on ham radio!