• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

UFO Geek

I've met Rob Simone, I've talked with Rob Simone, I've listened to Rob Simone.
Rob Simone is NO  Art Bell, not even a bit close.

Simone added the tag;

"Host Rob Simone has been described as the "Art Bell of the U.K."  to his website in 2005.

You can see it in the archive here  http://web.archive.org/web/20051124180654/http://www.robsimone.com/

Simone needs to realize the difference between himself and Art Bell, and just do the best he can, being himself. Otherwise that thing called karma will kick in.

I do like his style, and his ability to fit in good questions at the correct times, and his knowledge of a variety of subjects, adding that knowledge occasionally.... BUT he is NO Art Bell.

activenets

I was wondering what happened to Art. Actually, when Art left and the show changed hosts I just could never accept or appreciate the show any longer. I'm sure the other hosts have their strengths but the fact is, they are no Art Bell! He was the reason I listened to the programme from the beginning! So I stopped listening to On-air shows and refused to pay for on-line streaming for a show without Art Bell!

I have downloaded every show with Art as the host from newsgroups on-line and enjoy every one of them!! He is the reason I have found interest in C-Crane or other advertiser's in the past. Clearly, the production people at C2C don't understand that. So be it, they are hurting the advertisers and probably don't care. I have been watching for a new show from Art since 10-31-10 and have seen none.  So, I can only hope that Art finds a venue to continue broadcasting even if it is only occasionally. If he doesn't, I understand and I hope his retirement is enjoyable. He deserves it.   :)

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on December 18, 2010, 12:20:12 PM
Hi All,

Been a while since I have visited the site, good to see a lot of new users/posts!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think Art is done with Coast to Coast.

RealCool Daddio, that whole album was awesome!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Fort Rock on January 29, 2011, 04:59:38 PM
Rob Simone has for years done a Coast-like 2-hour weekly show here in Los Angeles, and transmitting it back to the British Isles. The show airs thoughout England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland airing 10PM to 12AM Saturday nights GMT. He has the extreme ego in his British promotional ads to call himself, "the Art Bell of the British Isles"! Just what we need, another ego stroker!
find me someone in broadcasting/media who ISN'T an ego stroker.  if you're going to survive in that industry, you MUST have an ego.  it's a prerequisite.  imagine the amount of negativity and criticism that gets dumped in the lap of virtually any media personality you could name.  then imagine that individual trying to weather the storm without some sort of an ego to fall back on.  it would be impossible.  any regular person would crack.  hell, this site is comprised of 95% anti george noory commentary... and we're only ONE COMMUNITY!!  there are anti noory comments EVERYWHERE online.  in other words, it's a boat-load.  one just absolutely could not endure that without believing himself to be "above" it all.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: activenets on January 30, 2011, 03:37:25 PM
I was wondering what happened to Art. Actually, when Art left and the show changed hosts I just could never accept or appreciate the show any longer. I'm sure the other hosts have their strengths but the fact is, they are no Art Bell! He was the reason I listened to the programme from the beginning! So I stopped listening to On-air shows and refused to pay for on-line streaming for a show without Art Bell!

I have downloaded every show with Art as the host from newsgroups on-line and enjoy every one of them!! He is the reason I have found interest in C-Crane or other advertiser's in the past. Clearly, the production people at C2C don't understand that. So be it, they are hurting the advertisers and probably don't care. I have been watching for a new show from Art since 10-31-10 and have seen none.  So, I can only hope that Art finds a venue to continue broadcasting even if it is only occasionally. If he doesn't, I understand and I hope his retirement is enjoyable. He deserves it.   :)
i agree with everything you said here, particularly the bit about the replacement hosts.  i started listening to coast to coast AM in the early 1990s because of art bell... not because it's coast to coast, and not because of the topics they cover.  all of that was utterly secondary to me.  art was the reason, and if he's not there, the show can just go away, for all i care.  it means nothing to me.

SheilaVG

Quote from: Bosco on January 27, 2011, 11:25:17 PM
OK I am blind.....I can't find this "impending AB news" on the FF website.

A little help here.

It's right on the front page of FF.

My first thought was that he said something to tick the company off, then I thought maybe he and Noory got into it but now I wonder if it's a family thing again.

Not only is Noory snoory but he is just simply WRONG alot of the time, he cannot pronounce things, he mixes things up and he can't be trusted to tell the real news, not that he doesn't try, he just gets confused. If you had been the captain of a ship and the new captain came on and did that, wouldn't you jump? Bell's too much of a gentleman to push him (Noory) so he left the infomercial to the pros.

SheilaVG

It's a-coming. Check the site out. The guy's too intelligent and loyal and genuinely appreciative of his fan base to just leave without saying something.

Quote from: Do you think it was angels? on January 25, 2011, 04:32:47 PM
Clear Channel might have prevented him from posting something on the web site, but it was his decision not to post anything on Fantastic Forum.

minnehan

Quote from: SheilaVG on January 30, 2011, 11:42:44 PM
It's a-coming. Check the site out. The guy's too intelligent and loyal and genuinely appreciative of his fan base to just leave without saying something.

Which site?  Please give us a link.

Do you know something or see something specific, or just speculation?

SheilaVG

I think you're right. And I think I do remember some thinly veiled reference to Art doing a project on his own.

Art, I thought, always spoke politely about Noory but I could tell that was all it was, that he did not like the guy and went by the motto, "If you don't have anything nice to say...". I predict ( no pun or anything intended) that Art will start his own venture on the radio - something akin to Sirius- and that Noory will leave C2C, either because he found a better gig or because he can't take all the criticism he gets and we'll end up with a nice balance with Punnett on one end and someone else on the other, I think it will be Knapp but he will have to broaden his repetoire and do more than just alien shows.
I can't stand Linda Moulton Howe, she sounds like she's really tired and just trying to stay awake so they'll do away with her too. Her voice reminds me of one of those dreams where you can't talk right.

I hope Knapp does a followup on his Hughes show of a while ago, he does that sort of stuff so well.

And for my final prediction: 2011 will be the year California DOES NOT fall into the ocean. :-*

Quote from: Fort Rock on January 25, 2011, 09:57:21 PM
Let's play a game called "Who Can't Talk, And Why"! There are two people out in radioland who have not "talked" so far; Art Bell and Alan Corbeth. Could Art say goodby in a censored manner on the Coast Website? The answer is yes, BUT we all know Art would not do so! Art can't talk because he'll be censored, and what he'll reveal as to his future (Art will not pull punches) would not please the Noory Mafia! Alan Corbeth can't talk because he's involved in a future project with Art. Both can't talk because Art's Contract Period has not expired yet, remember Art declined renewal and was on the air last in late October! Art has been muzzled for now at the Fantastic Forum because of this contract issue! The quality of program at Coast has declined to laughable status, just like the pajama-wearing Mike Siegal's era. Check the Linda Moulton Howe show for Thursday, just rerun subjects from the last 3 months! We have hit bottom! Let's play a game of "Who Is Listening To Us", just how tapped in is Art when he's not running after Asia? We know Art, we know his keen and razor-sharp intellect! Why are we tapped in so tightly to this thread? Because we know in our hearts and minds that Art and Alan are monitoring our every word! Art has the detective mind-set, and this is evidence of his return!!

SheilaVG

Oh and another thing: Saturday, just as C2C was about to start there was like two minutes of dead air and then this really strange radio program started that was not supposed to be there. And it sounded as if someone was just holding a radio up to the speakers at the radio station. As if they had to stop and think about whether they were going to run C2C. Has anyone else noticed their radio stations jumping ship?

coastfan

I would love to hear more Hughes material. I don't think Knapp ever followed up on his last Melvin Dumar show.

Have you hear the Art Bell show with Michael Drosnin? He's the author who got hold of Hughes' memos to his henchman Bob Maheu and wrote a fascinating book about it. At least it's fascinating if you find Hughes fascinating.

My speculation did not turn out to be correct.

Art Bell is not going to be the host of the new "5th Hour" show on the Glenn Beck Insider Extreme internet channel.

http://www.glennbeck.com/2011/01/31/s-e-cupp-to-host-new-show-on-insider-extreme/

"Glenn and company have teased a new show coming to Insider Extreme. Today, he unveiled the host of the new show, S.E. Cupp. She will host, “S.E. Cupp”, which will debut next Tuesday, February 8th, at 1pm ET."

FortRock

A quick announcement for those of us that are still Streamlink Members. George Knapp will be doing a "Streamlink Member's Chat" tonight, Monday January 31st from 8:00PM until 10:00PM PT!

FortRock

To Shiela VG:
That "dead air" then the strange program you heard was very interesting! What station did you hear this at? This could have been a test of the communications lines for the new Art Bell Project Program. They chose Saturday because Ian's segment is the lowest-rated of the week. The more this potientially false switching error aired on more stations, well you may have gotten to hear an early obituary of the George Noory edition of Coast. Affiliates were practicing for the swing to Art! By the way Shiela, Art had a caller by the name of Shiela, or Shiela G. who would call him from Australia in the 1990's and talk sometimes about the Pine Gap Instillation in the Northern Territory, are you THAT Shiela?

Quote from: Do you think it was angels? on January 30, 2011, 03:40:55 PM
RealCool Daddio, that whole album was awesome!

Yeah, and it has aged a lot better than I thought it would, too.  I guess German synth pop is timeless  :o

French synth pop ages well, too....

Visage - Fade To Grey (Original Version) - 1980

Quote from: Michael V. on January 30, 2011, 03:51:03 PM
find me someone in broadcasting/media who ISN'T an ego stroker.  if you're going to survive in that industry, you MUST have an ego.  it's a prerequisite.  imagine the amount of negativity and criticism that gets dumped in the lap of virtually any media personality you could name.  then imagine that individual trying to weather the storm without some sort of an ego to fall back on.  it would be impossible.  any regular person would crack.  hell, this site is comprised of 95% anti george noory commentary... and we're only ONE COMMUNITY!!  there are anti noory comments EVERYWHERE online.  in other words, it's a boat-load.  one just absolutely could not endure that without believing himself to be "above" it all.

^  This  ^

Quote from: Michael V. on January 30, 2011, 03:54:29 PM
i agree with everything you said here, particularly the bit about the replacement hosts.  i started listening to coast to coast AM in the early 1990s because of art bell... not because it's coast to coast, and not because of the topics they cover.  all of that was utterly secondary to me.  art was the reason, and if he's not there, the show can just go away, for all i care.  it means nothing to me.

I am somewhat in your camp here, MV.  Not all the way, but somewhat.  I have been a radio junkie, and talk radio in particular, since I was 7 or 8.  I got a crystal radio kit as a gift, and was hooked ever since.  I started listening to Art because he was a very, very good broadcaster.  Like you, the guests/subject matter of the show was somewhat secondary, although I have been fascinated by a number of esoteric areas since I was young, too.  (Unlike George N., I really did read Von Daniken as a boy).

But over the years, for any number of reasons too long to discuss in this post, the talk radio space has become increasingly bland.  There are really only four categories I can think of - Politics (Rush, Savage, Beck, O'Reilly, etc.), sports talk (local and national), advice shows (Dr. Laura, Joy Brown, local market "how to" shows, and oddball stuff (Rense, C2C, etc.)  I have pretty much had it with most national political talks show, as they are so unfailingly, without exeception, un-nuanced.  You are going to get either by the books right wing nonsense, or by the books left wing nonsense, without a whole lot of thought, intellect or analysis, and with a whole lot of vitriol, spite and venom.  Meh.

Sports radio - hey, I'm a dude, I like sports, and I like a few hours of sp0rts radio a week.  Nuf said.

Advice shows?  My wife likes 'em.

And that leaves the oddball stuff.  I really find it refreshing to hear a long format radio show on something, anything, other than the categories above.  Whether it is UFO's, an interview with an author of a book about waves, time travel, or open lines calls from nutjobs in the night, C2C (in the right hands) is different from the rest of the pack. 

The problem, for me anyways, is George Noory.  He is much closer to the host of a shopping channel than a radio talk show host.  He gives people a "platform" to sell their stuff, with little or no intellect brought to bear.  Art, Ian and George K. all, to some degree or another, also allow(ed) guests to pitch their wares, but only to entice the guest into a late night talk fest.  George N. views the sales platform as the raison d'etre of the show, the others view it as a means to an end.

I hold out hope that Simone and Wells will bring a similar level of talk radio to professionalism to bear, and that C2C will still be leading "alternative" late night talk show into the future.

SheilaVG

I can't think of it right now. It's not Fab Forum, it's the other one. Somebody tell her which it is- something about Worlds. Other Worlds? Worlds withough George Noory? Anyway it's there: a picture of him that says an announcement is coming soon.

Quote from: minnehan on January 30, 2011, 11:51:02 PM

Quote from: minnehan on January 30, 2011, 11:51:02 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Fort Rock on January 31, 2011, 12:05:53 PM
To Shiela VG:
This could have been a test of the communications lines for the new Art Bell Project Program. They chose Saturday because Ian's segment is the lowest-rated of the week. The more this potientially false switching error aired on more stations, well you may have gotten to hear an early obituary of the George Noory edition of Coast. Affiliates were practicing for the swing to Art!
ok, fort rock... i must officially call "bullshit" on you.  you can't be serious, here. 

i don't think anyone here needs me to say this, but as someone who has over 6 years experience working in radio, i can assure you that your speculation is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off.  just absolutely, fucking, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off.  i'm beginning to believe that you must be deliberately attempting to stir things up vis-à-vis art's resignation.  my only question for you is, "why?"

your quote above would seem to suggest we're discussing an intercepted cold-war era communique between moscow and their embassy.  we're not.  we're talking about a nationally syndicated radio show.

this thread has officially jumped the shark, as they say.  holy shite.

Bosco

IMO I don't think we will hear Art back on the air for from 6 months to a year.

Most contracts like his would most likely contain a "non-compete clause" which would prevent him from going directly back on the air.

KMKMKM

Quote from: Fort Rock on January 31, 2011, 12:05:53 PM
To Shiela VG:
That "dead air" then the strange program you heard was very interesting! What station did you hear this at? This could have been a test of the communications lines for the new Art Bell Project Program. They chose Saturday because Ian's segment is the lowest-rated of the week. The more this potientially false switching error aired on more stations, well you may have gotten to hear an early obituary of the George Noory edition of Coast. Affiliates were practicing for the swing to Art!
...Seriously?  I pray that this(along with the majority of your posts) is a joke.

awguy

Quote from: Michael V. on January 31, 2011, 02:04:18 PM
ok, fort rock... i must officially call "bullshit" on you.  you can't be serious, here. 

i don't think anyone here needs me to say this, but as someone who has over 6 years experience working in radio, i can assure you that your speculation is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off.  just absolutely, fucking, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off.  i'm beginning to believe that you must be deliberately attempting to stir things up vis-à-vis art's resignation.  my only question for you is, "why?"

your quote above would seem to suggest we're discussing an intercepted cold-war era communique between moscow and their embassy.  we're not.  we're talking about a nationally syndicated radio show.

this thread has officially jumped the shark, as they say.  holy shite.

And as someone who currently works in radio, I know that Saturday night at midnight is a very common time for stations to conduct signal maintenance. I'm willing to bet that is what was happening. It's possible that your station turned off their signal for a few minutes and what you were hearing was a different station from hundreds of miles away carrying different programming. This is very common... especially on AM.

tmock00

Quote from: SheilaVG on January 30, 2011, 11:32:51 PM
It's right on the front page of FF.

So it is.  Nice catch, Sheila! I didn't see it last week when I was browsing around, so I must have missed it entirely, or it's new since I was there.  I wonder what's up? Whatever it is, an update seems to be forthcoming, since it says:

Mysterious and Reassuring...Update! Art Bell Live From Manilla...TBA...

Hmmm....maybe it's an older announcement that was never removed from when he moved to Manilla?

Anybody?

http://www.fantasticforum.com/

valdez

Quote from: tmock00 on January 31, 2011, 03:11:32 PM
Hmmm....maybe it's an older announcement that was never removed from when he moved to Manilla?
Anybody?
http://www.fantasticforum.com/
Its been up there forever.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: awguy on January 31, 2011, 02:50:25 PM
And as someone who currently works in radio, I know that Saturday night at midnight is a very common time for stations to conduct signal maintenance. I'm willing to bet that is what was happening. It's possible that your station turned off their signal for a few minutes and what you were hearing was a different station from hundreds of miles away carrying different programming. This is very common... especially on AM.
the following comes straight from the mouth (or keyboard) of a veteran radio engineer:

"There ins't really any standard for that anymore.. but used to be testing time was midnight to 6am on Monday."

FortRock

Do you REALLY believe that Art Bell, with his knowledge of the industry would sign such a "non-compete" clause in his contract of such a length? Art would never sign such for more than 3 to 4 months! Nothing is standard when it comes to the mind of Art Bell in a matter like this! Remember Art is listed as Founding Executive Producer or Executive Producer Emertus, with special rights no other host could assume! Art would have never turned over the show to Mike Siegal or George Noory without some broad exemptions to traditional "non-compete" clauses! We've talked about Noory here and his incompetence, he's as damaging to this format of radio as any Radio Moscow, or Moscow Spy Numbers Station you wish to quote!

FortRock

Here's my 2nd prediction for the Art Bell Family Vault in Pahrump for 2011. There will be in the next 2 to 3 months a mass defection of non-Clear Channel owned Coast Stations to a new Art Bell Project Program. These stations will partner with high wattage power stations owned by CBS, Inc. or CBS News Affiliates. This plus KTNN, Window Rock, Navaho Nation! This is based on sources in Art Bell Chat Club sources, Portland, Oregon!