• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

trostol

Quote from: SaucyRossy on January 22, 2016, 09:41:51 PM
OHHHHH well if you only like live. Hmm.

Have you tried twitch! There are sooooo many talk shows live on twitch now.

maybe i will give it a go...but yeah..live is better for me..i dont know why lol

SaucyRossy

Quote from: VoteQuimby on January 22, 2016, 09:45:27 PM
Dude are you up early? Have you heard of The Taz Show? It's like my favorite show right now. I even created a BellGab like site (with some awesome help) for it. It's on early in the morning but since I'm on the west coast and a night owl I usually catch it on my way to bed. Taz is on five days a week too.

This is a weird radio geek thing I do. I listen to BBC morning shows on the tune in app late at night. I love the UK and Ireland and it's culture. And it's so much more refreshing than American morning radio.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: trostol on January 22, 2016, 09:46:11 PM
maybe i will give it a go...but yeah..live is better for me..i dont know why lol

Give the BBC morning shows a try. They are on late at night on tune in. I like them a lot. But I'm a weirdo radio geek.

trostol

Dude are you up early? Have you heard of The Taz Show? It's like my favorite show right now. I even created a BellGab like site (with some awesome help) for it. It's on early in the morning but since I'm on the west coast and a night owl I usually catch it on my way to bed. Taz is on five days a week too.

i am usually on my way to bed after OSOM lol

trostol

Quote from: SaucyRossy on January 22, 2016, 09:48:35 PM
Give the BBC morning shows a try. They are on late at night on tune in. I like them a lot. But I'm a weirdo radio geek.

maybe...but..someone needs to do a dino show lol

Night Train

Dude are you up early? Have you heard of The Taz Show?

Hey, here's an idea - if Art ever does come back, they should change the name from MITD to The Spaz Show.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: trostol on January 22, 2016, 09:49:29 PM
maybe...but..someone needs to do a dino show lol

Haha ok, what about dinos? Maybe a Nessie and other Dino cryptoids?

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Night Train on January 22, 2016, 09:51:07 PM
Hey, here's an idea - if Art ever does come back, they should change the name from MITD to The Spaz Show.

I would bet money he's not coming back, but then I'd probably lose that bet.

trostol

Quote from: SaucyRossy on January 22, 2016, 09:52:40 PM
Haha ok, what about dinos? Maybe a Nessie and other Dino cryptoids?

nah..really a real dinosaur show..been some new interesting finds "recently" but that would have to be a more..science like show...maybe a history show...that would be interesting also

SaucyRossy

Quote from: trostol on January 22, 2016, 09:53:49 PM
nah..really a real dinosaur show..been some new interesting finds "recently" but that would have to be a more..science like show...maybe a history show...that would be interesting also

Pm me some links?

Quote from: SaucyRossy on January 22, 2016, 09:53:28 PM

my gut says the same  at this point

Night Train

Quote from: SaucyRossy on January 22, 2016, 09:53:28 PM

I was being facetious.  He's not coming back.  I think he planned to come back on an occasional or semi-regular basis when he first made up the stalker story, or at least he wanted to keep that option open.  But he was banking on most of his fans buying the story, which is why he made it up in the first place.  He was afraid that if he just said he was bored, tired, trying to please the wife, whatever, his fans would be enraged and turn on him.  He needed a story that would elicit sympathy.  Unfortunately, the one he came up with was so patently false that it blew up in his face, and then he compounded it with his crazy behavior and posts on here and FB, finally denouncing the biggest group of hardcore Art Bell fans on the internet as blind, evil, hate-filled trolls.  Now there are very few people who would even care if he came back yet again.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: SaucyRossy on January 22, 2016, 09:38:37 PM
For all I know you could be entirely right. I honestly have no clue about numbers and speculating is just that, speculating.

Besides, think about this for a second, how many people even bother too look at a $5 charge that comes out of their PayPal account once a month? For all we know there could be a lot of people paying that just forgot?

But that's speculation too.

Some people do continue to subscribe to things they no longer have a use for, but the cancellation numbers go up steadily, month after month, as people get around to canceling. No need to speculate about this since there's plenty of data and experience in this area.

The more you know about the money side, the more absurd it sounds when you hear someone like Heather saying, as she did the other night, that things are going fine and not to worry about her because she is very well compensated -- in spite of the product being supplied.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Value Of Pi on January 22, 2016, 10:17:06 PM
Some people do continue to subscribe to things they no longer have a use for, but the cancellation numbers go up steadily, month after month, as people get around to canceling. No need to speculate about this since there's plenty of data and experience in this area.

The more you know about the money side, the more absurd it sounds when you hear someone like Heather saying, as she did the other night, that things are going fine and not to worry about her because she is very well compensated -- in spite of the product being supplied.

Well if you read Art's and Heather's FB pages,  there are people outside of the BellGab universe that seem to be tolerating the show. We aren't the only MITD audience.

We might to think we matter, and early on, we may have been the largest percent of the subscribers, but by now, who knows.

Quote from: Showroom Dummy on January 22, 2016, 09:45:22 PM
hilarious    a must see for everyone

They did a series of those and there's at least one more on YouTube. The way Dave Thomas played Cronkite as an earnest doofus was truly inspired!

effluenza

Quote from: Value Of Pi on January 22, 2016, 10:17:06 PM

I assume you have proof of this.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: trostol on January 22, 2016, 09:40:13 PM
problem is really on my end..if its not live..i wont listen lol i'm strange that way..like i have all the night vale shows..only listened to like 5 of them lol

I tried listening to Night Vale, but it didn't hold my interest.  Check out LORE podcast.  It's very well-produced and features creepy topics from an historical perspective.  I found it fascinating. 

Regarding the frequency of UFOs as a topic on MITD--if I never hear a show on UFOs again for the remainder of my life, that will be fine with me.  I'll tune in again if legitimate new contact is made, otherwise I'm done with the little gray guys, implants, anal probes, etc.

Mr. Fidget

About an hour to go ending up Fidget Friday.
I'll take a shot at almost any question under the sun
in my thread until midnight MV time.

These following few questions are off the table.
You'll need to do your own math. ;)

Yangâ€"Mills and Mass Gap
Experiment and computer simulations suggest the existence of a "mass gap" in the solution to the quantum versions of the Yang-Mills equations. But no proof of this property is known.

Riemann Hypothesis
The prime number theorem determines the average distribution of the primes. The Riemann hypothesis tells us about the deviation from the average. Formulated in Riemann's 1859 paper, it asserts that all the 'non-obvious' zeros of the zeta function are complex numbers with real part 1/2.

P vs NP Problem
If it is easy to check that a solution to a problem is correct, is it also easy to solve the problem? This is the essence of the P vs NP question. Typical of the NP problems is that of the Hamiltonian Path Problem: given N cities to visit, how can one do this without visiting a city twice? If you give me a solution, I can easily check that it is correct. But I cannot so easily find a solution.

Navierâ€"Stokes Equation
This is the equation which governs the flow of fluids such as water and air. However, there is no proof for the most basic questions one can ask: do solutions exist, and are they unique? Why ask for a proof? Because a proof gives not only certitude, but also understanding.

Hodge Conjecture
The answer to this conjecture determines how much of the topology of the solution set of a system of algebraic equations can be defined in terms of further algebraic equations. The Hodge conjecture is known in certain special cases, e.g., when the solution set has dimension less than four. But in dimension four it is unknown.

Poincaré Conjecture
In 1904 the French mathematician Henri Poincaré asked if the three dimensional sphere is characterized as the unique simply connected three manifold. This question, the Poincaré conjecture, was a special case of Thurston's geometrization conjecture. Perelman's proof tells us that every three manifold is built from a set of standard pieces, each with one of eight well-understood geometries.

Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer Conjecture
Supported by much experimental evidence, this conjecture relates the number of points on an elliptic curve mod p to the rank of the group of rational points. Elliptic curves, defined by cubic equations in two variables, are fundamental mathematical objects that arise in many areas: Wiles' proof of the Fermat Conjecture, factorization of numbers into primes, and cryptography, to name three.

mf
ps gnaw..

trostol

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on January 22, 2016, 10:46:45 PM
I tried listening to Night Vale, but it didn't hold my interest.  Check out LORE podcast.  It's very well-produced and features creepy topics from an historical perspective.  I found it fascinating. 

Regarding the frequency of UFOs as a topic on MITD--if I never hear a show on UFOs again for the remainder of my life, that will be fine with me.  I'll tune in again if legitimate new contact is made, otherwise I'm done with the little gray guys, implants, anal probes, etc.

than ks..bookmarked LORE..will check it out..decided to turn my attention to ST TOS..never gave that a go either...first episode has me a touch..confused lol

Night Train

I tried listening to Night Vale, but it didn't hold my interest.

Amen to that.  I kept reading rave reviews of Night Vale so I listened to a few episodes, hoping I'd discovered a new favorite.  Instead, I found it incredibly boring.

QuoteCheck out LORE podcast.  It's very well-produced and features creepy topics from an historical perspective.  I found it fascinating. 

Sounds interesting.  I'm going to check that out.  Thanks.

DeltaBravo

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Night Train on January 22, 2016, 11:01:57 PM

Sounds interesting.  I'm going to check that out.  Thanks.

IMO, the best part of the podcast is when the actual story begins.  Writer, producer and storyteller, Aaron Mahnke introduces each story by giving it a social context, which I think are sometimes a bit too long.  Stick with it, as the stories are very good, and all non-fiction.

WOTR

Thanks... I have listened to quite a few Nightvale shows and they are not bad... But one kind of runs into the other.  I am part way through one of the LORE podcasts and am really enjoying it.  Very well done show.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: effluenza on January 22, 2016, 10:30:39 PM
I assume you have proof of this.

I don't have any inside info on the show, if that's what you mean. Just the streaming numbers someone posted (believable, IMO, and indicative of how few MITD subscribers may soon remain), the affiliate agreement that Art had posted, plus the loss of affiliates that's been cited generally since Art left. Figure in the overhead for operating the network, a couple of salaries and so on, and it doesn't look very viable.

Also, the idea that any sizable percentage of subscribers would pay $5 a month, as a separate charge, for a service they either never use or don't use much, and do this for any length of time, is not one that anyone in marketing, advertising or broadcasting would accept. Nobody would hope to survive on that type of income. These kinds of numbers are collected and tracked routinely by many companies, so consumer behavior is well understood in cases like this.

It was all looking good for a while, but not now IMO.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 22, 2016, 10:21:20 PM
Well if you read Art's and Heather's FB pages,  there are people outside of the BellGab universe that seem to be tolerating the show. We aren't the only MITD audience.

We might to think we matter, and early on, we may have been the largest percent of the subscribers, but by now, who knows.

I'm sure there are some listeners coming from other places, but how many? And how many of them are subscribing? At the very least, the show and the network need to pay for themselves -- or else, backer(s) need to put up the money to keep them both up and running. We are not privy to the latest numbers, but I don't see a reason to be optimistic at the moment.

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: Value Of Pi on January 23, 2016, 12:30:26 AM
I don't have any inside info on the show, if that's what you mean. Just the streaming numbers someone posted (believable, IMO, and indicative of how few MITD subscribers may soon remain), the affiliate agreement that Art had posted, plus the loss of affiliates that's been cited generally since Art left. Figure in the overhead for operating the network, a couple of salaries and so on, and it doesn't look very viable.

Also, the idea that any sizable percentage of subscribers would pay $5 a month, as a separate charge, for a service they either never use or don't use much, and do this for any length of time, is not one that anyone in marketing, advertising or broadcasting would accept. Nobody would hope to survive on that type of income. These kinds of numbers are collected and tracked routinely by many companies, so consumer behavior is well understood in cases like this.

It was all looking good for a while, but not now IMO.
I posted these in the MITD thread, it's enough subscribers to keep going... for sure. All that need be done is not to crash, to stay on the road. And the fact is listeners can as easily be more than subscribers, given the "trending" method of channel discovery. I'm glad there is a DMDN, as an option. "Editors choice", 85k... that's a "going concern".

We'll see.

Element 115

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on January 23, 2016, 12:53:17 AM
I posted these in the MITD thread, it's enough subscribers to keep going... for sure. All that need be done is not to crash, to stay on the road. And the fact is listeners can as easily be more than subscribers, given the "trending" method of channel discovery. I'm glad there is a DMDN, as an option. "Editors choice", 85k... that's a "going concern".

We'll see.

What do TuneIn station followers have to do with subscribers?

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Stardust Ancestor on January 23, 2016, 12:56:44 AM

I was just going to ask this. It's revenue-generating listeners that matter, unless revenue is not a concern here for some reason.

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: Stardust Ancestor on January 23, 2016, 12:56:44 AM
It's all a part of the "what is an advertisement" worth mystique. Subscribers is not the only metric. A look around other known show numbers and it's clear that DMDN is not "tanking". Nor is Clark, Bill, Adam, or JCD & AC. DMDN is nearly beating them all, combined... on tunein. DMDN got off to a good start, and it will be fine if the "volatility" gets handled.

Of course it would do much better with a national time machine giveaway. The promotional push by Mr. Bell giving me his public mia culpa... setting my life back on a progressive trajectory... and bringing my real discoveries into the light of day... but I digress, and gave up on any such clear thinking, astute observation, or magnanimous behavior... by Mr. Bell. ;)