• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: inuk2600 on April 18, 2015, 07:06:32 PM
Am I the only Windows 8.1 fan here? Admittedly 8 was hard to swallow at first, but 8.1 is great on the newest hardware.

I love it. The search and the touchscreen monitor experience are excellent.

laserjock

I don't like the Win 8 touch interface, and most people also don't like it.  In fact, MS has suffered trying to force a Tablet OS down PC user's throats.

paladin1991

Quote from: ge30542 on April 17, 2015, 07:28:17 PM
Show Topic for MITD.
Genetics. Lots of fascinating work being done.
Example, Geneticists believe they've isolated a gene found in homosexual men, NOT found in heterosexual men.
They're calling it the "Judy Garland" gene. Truly fascinating! Could be a great show!
I thought the hypothalmus of a gay man was smaller than a regular man.  Least that's what I heard.  It's the same size as a female.

paladin1991

Quote from: laserjock on April 17, 2015, 08:54:21 PM
Well, in any event, I'm done with this argument.  Sorry for oversharing guys, I just treat strangers that way, I've been told that I never met a stranger.
Who are you?  Have we met?

paladin1991

Quote from: BattyBrooke on April 18, 2015, 12:14:33 AM
Will someone please just tell me what Art's premiere date is, if there will be a recorded podcast available if one does not get in to the live podcast due to the 70k cap, and lastly, what has happened to U7? It's been down for days. I tried paging through this thread, but I'm lazy and impatient.
didn't get the PM?

paladin1991

Quote from: BattyBrooke on April 18, 2015, 12:15:10 AM
Also, what is this?
The 14 grand and change?  Oh...that.  MV is acutioning you off, so that he can donate funds for ARTS new studio.

paladin1991

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on April 18, 2015, 12:19:18 AM
He's taking all the yes and Yeeeeeeeeees votes up top and multiplying by a $60 annual subscription.
Oh.  Then can I retract my bid?

paladin1991

Quote from: twiki on April 18, 2015, 02:52:51 AM
Why do you say this? I always liked when Art referenced Keith or Keith would upload some timely photo, file or link onto the website. He helped the audience follow the show online in real time. Why the hate for Keith that I have read over the past weeks or so? Did Art and him have a falling out or did he say something to piss the fans off? He's Art's right hand man? He's on our team. I'm new here so I may have missed something.
Well, then I will be ARTS other right hand.  I will keep discipline and order in the ranks. Meine hande die verletze, MFers!  Meine hande!

paladin1991

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 18, 2015, 07:42:05 AM
Because the last time your mom and I bought you a timer it didn't last more than six weeks before it was broken.
See.  We just can't have nice things around here.

paladin1991

Quote from: Danger!UFO on April 18, 2015, 11:00:58 AM

I didn't realize there were so many cranky 'somebody pissed in my cereal and stool my ass-wipes' people on this board.

You must be new around here.  Come on in, I'll show you around.

paladin1991

Quote from: Juan on April 18, 2015, 12:47:47 PM
There must be a lot of sales and management bitches on this site.  They never understand that production requires doing something, testing, then making changes.  It's not just gum-bumping.
That's a no shitter.

paladin1991

Quote from: Art Bell on April 18, 2015, 03:29:47 PM
The ONLY reason you are in the up's and Down's with me in this project is because I choose to share them with this group. If that is simply to painful for some I can stop, this is a evolving affair and I am sure there will be more to suffer through.

Keith is a slightly cranky very bright guy who has a hell of a lot to do as do I. I have been building (2) Laptop computers for the studio for the last two days from scratch and just that has me in a foul mood. Windows 7 from scratch.

There are a lot of very smart people on here and your input has been valuable.

Art
Quit your whining ppl.  We're Americans here, well, most of us.  That whining thing, that's for the French.  Us, lets take a ride.

paladin1991

Quote from: (Redacted) on April 18, 2015, 04:16:25 PM
He will be back, and will check out your post.  He went to this:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/mercedes-benz-fashion-week-australia-2015-hits-the-mark/story-fni0cvc9-1227309511720
Checked out the article.  Great photos, too. Is that Jazz in that pink outfit?  Dude has got some legs!

Catsmile

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 19, 2015, 12:02:43 AM
I love it. The search and the touchscreen monitor experience are excellent.

The glare from the high gloss screen smeared with smudges is most excellent, at hiding the Fisher-Price interface. 

Quote from: Catsmile on April 19, 2015, 12:54:19 AM
The glare from the high gloss screen smeared with smudges is most excellent, at hiding the Fisher-Price interface. 

I counterpunch with Dutch painter Piet Mondrian.

[attachment=0][/attachment]

sorefinger

Quote from: Art Bell on April 18, 2015, 06:37:02 PM
How many of you know that when u get a raw windows 7 machine the first thing you do is download 133 updates and that is the first stage then you get more and more, it is a full one minimum day project. Then you can start downloading software, then you get more updates, then you want to drink heavily even though you don't drink.

Art

Art, it's why I love Android, Google's variant of Linux.  But if you have to absolutely use a laptop or desktop, there are far better alternatives than Microsoft.  Linux is far more stable and secure than MS's Windows, a trojan snoop and advert server.

I know a brilliant, retired software engineer in Las Vegas, who would probably help you out for little more than a song. My own observation is that he's a little on the autism spectrum, having capacity to retain 98% of everything he reads. His intuition is nothing short of miraculous.  Whatever software issue you have, he tackles extemporaneously, succinctly and to the point, without ever having to do a single bit of research.  I swear, the man's mind is directly channeled to the ethernet.

wr250

How many of you know that when u get a raw windows 7 machine the first thing you do is download 133 updates and that is the first stage then you get more and more, it is a full one minimum day project. Then you can start downloading software, then you get more updates, then you want to drink heavily even though you don't drink.

Art

only 133 updates ?
the last one i did involved about 100 updates, then a reboot, then a service pack, reboot, about 100 updates, reboot, 40 more updates,reboot. trackpad gone wonky find drivers from the hp website, didnt fix it (made it worse), removed, windows update again for drivers, then 10 more updates. reboot.

b_dubb

Art
This is a pretty clear indicator tha MS ships their software "early" and finishes development with systems deployed. Every OS has updates but the above quoted scenario is more than refinement and progressive enhancement.

I don't know why they ship software like this except that they wanted to meet a deadline so they could start selling software sooner rather than later. I have to think its a big reason why a lot of Windows users have so many horror stories about their systems.

sorefinger

Quote from: wr250 on April 19, 2015, 09:32:43 AM
only 133 updates ?
the last one i did involved about 100 updates, then a reboot, then a service pack, reboot, about 100 updates, reboot, 40 more updates,reboot. trackpad gone wonky find drivers from the hp website, didnt fix it (made it worse), removed, windows update again for drivers, then 10 more updates. reboot.

Each new update is bloatware to fix the unintended consequences of the previous update.

This is what we, as consumers, get when we roll over for a monopoly like Microsoft.  If General Motors had a corner on the automobile market, every car we buy would come with a hundred recall notices.  No one alive would ever stand for such a company, yet we all genuflect and play disciple for Microsoft.  As a global mind, this points to insanity, plain and simple.  As Nietzsche once said, when a hundred men stand together, each loses his mind and gets another one.

In Bill Gate$'s world, he would say: If you don't like it there's always the Abacus..
In Al G0re's world he would say: Whai did aye in vent this thing so's thayrz no way ta make money fromit.
Quote from: sorefinger on April 19, 2015, 10:28:18 AM
Each new update is bloatware to fix the unintended consequences of the previous update.

This is what we, as consumers, get when we roll over for a monopoly like Microsoft.  If General Motors had a corner on the automobile market, every car we buy would come with a hundred recall notices.  No one alive would ever stand for such a company, yet we all genuflect and play disciple for Microsoft.  As a global mind, this points to insanity, plain and simple.  As Nietzsche once said, when a hundred men stand together, each loses his mind and gets another one.

If you are so fed up with Windows, there's always Linux & Mac :P

jerry

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 19, 2015, 10:48:31 AM

yep :)

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 19, 2015, 10:48:31 AM
It's just a matter of letting the hardware mfg's know about making drivers for Linux that work.
With Apple, they own you and the software. There was a Mac clone project, but I heard that it was going to be, or was shut down by the "big money" people.

InykRose

How many of you know that when u get a raw windows 7 machine...

You forgot to add the hour you spend removing all the bloatware.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: wr250 on April 19, 2015, 09:32:43 AM
only 133 updates ?

You don't install the service pack alone before you start updating?

sorefinger

Quote from: Art Bell on April 17, 2015, 11:46:09 PM
A delay is mandatory not because somebody might say a bad word but because of Defamation, much bigger problem and I will have one.

My thanks for all the talk on bit rates and AAC+ there are some smart people in here and some cranky ones, but I always knew that.

128Kbps is cool unless you trying to send it to 70,000 people.

Art

Truckers will be extremely happy with your 32k decision, while motoring across much of rural America, not even mentioning foreign countries, where the fastest bandwidth is G2, while enjoying your show without the dead air that comes with god-awful buffering.  Even if they have the luxury of G4, they'll respect you for preserving their bandwidth caps.

BattyBrooke

Quote from: paladin1991 on April 19, 2015, 12:28:36 AM
didn't get the PM?

No, but thankfully Morgus answered me. And 14k? I thought I'd pull in more than that!

Art Bell

I really really want that 32 AAC+ but a lot of computers will not do it, so I guess we we have to have a combo.

Art

aldousburbank

Quote from: Art Bell on April 19, 2015, 01:28:37 PM
I really really want that 32 AAC+ but a lot of computers will not do it, so I guess we we have to have a combo.

Art

sorefinger

Can the admin share the technology behind the Gab Cast stream?  I was totally blown away by the simplicity & speed at which the audio began when I first used it.