• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

grano salis

Quote from: shell88 on September 29, 2013, 01:24:54 PM
  There's nothing, and I mean nothing, more boring than a know it all with an ax to grind.

Thanks for setting "Pharto" straight.  Couldn't have said it better myself.

Morgus

On last night's classic replay on Art Bell: Somewhere in Time from 1997, it was fun to hear Art refer to the current highest speed PC CPUs (Pentium I) of 200Mhz or so, and he wondered what the fastest speed would be possible in the future.
Now we have PC CPUs up to 4GHz or so and with multiple cores (that was something Art wouldn't have thought of in the 90s)
I have a 6-core AMD Phenom II CPU running at near 4Ghz right now...

shell88

Quote from: grano salis on September 29, 2013, 01:54:31 PM

I was talking about you Sean.  It would take a lot more than a grain of salt to straighten out your mind. 

onan

Quote from: ChewMouse on September 29, 2013, 01:49:38 PM
Nah, it doesn't work to medicate everyone that has a differing opinion from your own.

lemme buy stock in that drug.

phrodo

Quote from: grano salis on September 29, 2013, 01:54:31 PM

shell88 was referring to your pompous ass ... but evidently you're too delusional to comprehend same. You're trollish behavior is almost as boring as your inane attempts at intellectual arguments. Thanks for playing ... better luck next time.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: grano salis on September 29, 2013, 01:17:28 PM
Meds work, man.  You should try being more compliant with yours. 

Kaku has great academic credentials.  I didn't call HIM an amateur, you just did.  The observation which  you took out of context was in regard to his explanation/exposition of physics for non physicists: i.e. "amateur" physics.  John Gribbin has been doing a fantastic job of explaining quatum mechanics for about three decades his "In Search of Schroedinger's Cat" is a text any REAL sci-fi author knows about, basically because Gribbin acknowledges the second Grand Master of Science Fiction-(guess who) as developing the concept of parallel universes in a manner attractive to the public.  Good job by the way trashing Art's choice of guests past and present.  Are you calling yourself an advocate?  With friends like you who needs enemies.

Well, if you're going to backpedal using that route, the only way you can get non-amateur physics is if they start doing equations on the air. As far as Gribbin, the Jupiter Effect and The Jupiter Effect Reconsidered soured me on him early on. Anyone that writes books and then distances themselves from their own theory--twice--is problematic. Not so with Kaku, he's far closer to the subject matter and sits at the forefront of String Theory. Gribbin is a good writer, but just hasn't got the academic juice that Kaku does.

You're also self-contradicting in that you were trashing Kaku, SETI, Hoagland et al which are all flagship Art Bell guests from the old days. Do you want the old guests or not? Whitley gets interviewed next Tuesday, will that be the only DM show you've liked or will you trash that one too?

As far as trashing SDM, he did that to himself with his financial shenanigans and appears to be having a fight with Art. The SEC problem speaks for itself. Whitley is Whitley, a guy making a living from writing about his experience. There's nothing wrong with that, but in the end it is a very extraordinary claim that if it could be proven would change all of human understanding of our place in the universe. That has not yet occurred despite decades of releasing books. There's probably a reason it hasn't. So shoot me, I've heard him, read his books, and remain unconvinced. Hearing him for the 40th time seems unlikely to change that. But I'll give it a listen nonetheless.

How you thought the Hoagland appearance was horrible is beyond me. I found it hilarious, and even though I don't think Hoagland's Mars claims are anything but strangely shaped rocks, he and Art's exchanges still made for great radio.

grano salis

Quote from: shell88 on September 29, 2013, 02:04:55 PM

I was talking about you Sean.  It would take a lot more than a grain of salt to straighten out your mind.

Who is "Sean"?  BTW is yours a conceal and carry licensed pussy--or just an unusually feral cat?

grano salis

Quote from: phrodo on September 29, 2013, 02:11:36 PM
shell88 was referring to your pompous ass ... but evidently you're too delusional to comprehend same. You're trollish behavior is almost as boring as your inane attempts at intellectual arguments. Thanks for playing ... better luck next time.

I am so glad that you can interpret for your other autistic friends.  What a delightful public service.

Juan

It's beginning to smell like a flower in here.

grano salis

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 29, 2013, 02:13:13 PM
Well, if you're going to backpedal using that route, the only way you can get non-amateur physics is if they start doing equations on the air. As far as Gribbin, the Jupiter Effect and The Jupiter Effect Reconsidered soured me on him early on. Anyone that writes books and then distances themselves from their own theory--twice--is problematic. Not so with Kaku, he's far closer to the subject matter and sits at the forefront of String Theory. Gribbin is a good writer, but just hasn't got the academic juice that Kaku does.

You're also self-contradicting in that you were trashing Kaku, SETI, Hoagland et al which are all flagship Art Bell guests from the old days. Do you want the old guests or not? Whitley gets interviewed next Tuesday, will that be the only DM show you've liked or will you trash that one too?

As far as trashing SDM, he did that to himself with his financial shenanigans and appears to be having a fight with Art. The SEC problem speaks for itself. Whitley is Whitley, a guy making a living from writing about his experience. There's nothing wrong with that, but in the end it is a very extraordinary claim that if it could be proven would change all of human understanding of our place in the universe. That has not yet occurred despite decades of releasing books. There's probably a reason it hasn't. So shoot me, I've heard him, read his books, and remain convinced. Hearing him for the 40th time seems unlikely to change that. But I'll give it a listen nonetheless.

How you thought the Hoagland appearance was horrible is beyond me. I found it hilarious, and even though I don't think Hoagland's Mars claims are anything but strangely shaped rocks, he and Art's exchanges still made for great radio.

OK Flipper you made your point which is the same as mine---neither of us take Hoagland seriously, but as a hoaxster, he really needs to take more pride in his work.  His rock photos did not make it "a great radio" experience for me, that's all.  I am sorry that your nascent experiences at the Sea World Academy have made you such a bundle of nerves.

shell88

Gosh grano Sean salto, I can't contain myself. I'm longing to meet you. Please come over for some cake and fun:

Catsmile

Quote from: UFO Fill on September 29, 2013, 02:27:06 PM
It's beginning to smell like a flower in here.

It took me like 2 seconds to figure that one out, made me LOL at the comment and myself. Thanks for reminding me.

Quickly forgot about the garden of discontent that was sown by one, just skimmed all the ranting of salis, it instantly became scroll over fodder. Reading the replies some folks were baited into is a hoot though.

ABDM rocks, GNS

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: grano salis on September 29, 2013, 02:32:54 PM
OK Flipper you made your point which is the same as mine---neither of us take Hoagland seriously, but as a hoaxster, he really needs to take more pride in his work.  His rock photos did not make it "a great radio" experience for me, that's all.  I am sorry that your nascent experiences at the Sea World Academy have made you such a bundle of nerves.

You seem to have not had a great radio experience at all in two weeks of show.

As far as Hoagland, he is what he is. I don't buy his claims, but I find the guy to be a ridiculous barrel of fun otherwise when he's talking with Art. George texting him and Art telling him to turn his radio off were classic moments, and if that didn't satisfy you, well you must have went into DM intending not to be satisfied.

You just seem like you're listening to the wrong radio show. You should shoot for a diet of psychic infomercials on cable and NPR for balance rather than Art Bell. For all intents and purposes Dark Matter is identical to the 90's C2C shows. It sounds and feels exactly the same, it's the same guests, same quality, same everything down to the bumper music and C. Crane ads. Well, what the hell did you expect it was going to be like?

Roswells

So digging Art's comeback!  My ONLY complaints; hate the earlier time, messes up the vibe for us east coasters, that he did not own the name C2C and did not keep the Chase for his opening music.  Fuckface noory will always have a job because as George Carlin knew:

"Did you ever notice that? How many really stupid people you run into during the day?
Goddam there's a lot of stupid bastards walking around.
Carry a little pad and pencil with you. You'll wind up with thirty or forty names by the end of the day.
Look at it this way: Think of how stupid the average person is and then realize that half of them are stupider than that.
And it doesn't take you very long to spot one of them does it? Take you about eight seconds.
You'll be listening to some guy...you say..."this guy is fucking stupid!"
Then...then there are some people, their not stupid...their full of shit. Huh?
That doesn't take very long to spot either, does it? Take you about the same amount of time.
You'll be listening to some guy..and saying, "well, he's fairly intelligent......ahht, he's full of shit!"
Then there are some people, their not stupid, their not full of shit...their fucking nuts!"

SR-71

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 29, 2013, 03:03:59 PM

As far as Hoagland, he is what he is. I don't buy his claims, but I find the guy to be a ridiculous barrel of fun otherwise when he's talking with Art. George texting him and Art telling him to turn his radio off were classic moments, and if that didn't satisfy you, well you must have went into DM intending not to be satisfied.

You just seem like you're listening to the wrong radio show. You should shoot for a diet of psychic infomercials on cable and NPR for balance rather than Art Bell. For all intents and purposes Dark Matter is identical to the 90's C2C shows. It sounds and feels exactly the same, it's the same guests, same quality, same everything down to the bumper music and C. Crane ads. Well, what the hell did you expect it was going to be like?
Why are you feeding an other troll for???

Catsmile

Quote from: SR-71 on September 29, 2013, 03:07:37 PM

Birds of a feather flock... ?
Meh, never mind.

ABDM ROCKS! GNS!

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: SR-71 on September 29, 2013, 03:07:37 PM

I'm PROBING the troll!

SR-71

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 29, 2013, 03:33:57 PM
I'm PROBING the troll!
Ok are you using lube when your "probing" the troll.

SciFiAuthor

Nope, dry as a bone.

grano salis

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 29, 2013, 03:03:59 PM

Not so.  I actually liked the Reed interview-(I admit I forgot about that, in initial comments ).  I think that Art has his hands full dealing with a competitor and probably deserves his own Sirius channel, since his INDIE Sirius  channel is infested with less talented types.  I was one of the listeners who contacted Sirius and complained about Thomas's idiotic profane commericals.  I think that it will get better.  I like to hear Art interviewing his past guests, hence the interest in Strieber.

grano salis

Quote from: SR-71 on September 29, 2013, 03:36:24 PM
Ok are you using lube when your "probing" the troll.

Maybe its time for you to go back to the freezer, Freddy.

sleeplessinca

Troll feeding between 2 and 10pm. 
That's cuz the only time Grano Salis posts. 

SR-71

Quote from: sleeplessinca on September 29, 2013, 03:56:10 PM
Troll feeding between 2 and 10pm. 
That's cuz the only time Grano Salis posts.
Nice to know thanks for the info.

onan

Damn, did I miss the lube free anal probing show?

grano salis

Quote from: SR-71 on September 29, 2013, 04:00:05 PM
Nice to know thanks for the info.
Too bad the information is not correct... but then one would need to be paying attention.

ayala

The probing already has been done and Troll+friend=SDM

sleeplessinca

Quote from: grano salis on September 29, 2013, 04:14:05 PM
Too bad the information is not correct... but then one would need to be paying attention.
I looked at your profile.  Can't make that up.

grano salis

Quote from: onan on September 29, 2013, 04:06:54 PM
Damn, did I miss the lube free anal probing show?

Sigh, so many rectums, so little time.   It's been a cathartic experience for most of you (lol).  Next time come prepared for your clinical rotation in BOHIC, because it was just clear most of you were simply not up for it today...