• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Good olde GN told me he doesn't listen to Arts show. He only texted Richard because someone emailed him.

Quote from: SR-71 on September 21, 2013, 10:43:50 AM
I hope that Art takes all the good guests from George Noory. I hope that linda does not do any more coasts after this month.

Don`t count on it.

Look, the guests may "secretly" favor Art over GN, but they know where their rice bowl is coming from. GN has something like 500 affiliates and a huge audience.  Art, at least for now, is not going to sell a lot of books, DVDS or remote viewing courses.

jazmunda

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 21, 2013, 12:18:21 PM
Don`t count on it.

Look, the guests may "secretly" favor Art over GN, but they know where their rice bowl is coming from. GN has something like 500 affiliates and a huge audience.  Art, at least for now, is not going to sell a lot of books, DVDS or remote viewing courses.

Agreed and that is why Art can't truly (from a business perspective) compete with Coast. Quality wise he crushes Coast but in the end the guests that are chasing dollars will always appear on Coast no matter what they think of its buffoon host.

The General

Looking for an Art Bell t-shirt on the internet. 
This one made me laugh...

[attachimg=1]
http://skreened.com/designomatic/art-bell-wanna-go-for-a-ride

"Wanna go for a ride" instead of "Wanna take a ride?"
That makes it sound so rapey.

onan

I will be surprised if in a year c2c is either still here or isn't significantly changed.

Yeah SiriusXM is different than free radio... I think a very similar argument was common in the 60's when cable television was first being promoted. Now few homes are without cable.

And yes I am the first to acknowledge this is wishful thinking.

The General

Quote from: onan on September 21, 2013, 03:01:49 PM
I will be surprised if in a year c2c is either still here or isn't significantly changed.

Yeah SiriusXM is different than free radio... I think a very similar argument was common in the 60's when cable television was first being promoted. Now few homes are without cable.

And yes I am the first to acknowledge this is wishful thinking.
I'm a radio fiend.  I love it.  I was so excited when I heard about satellite radio.  But I was disappointed to find out that it was available only by subscription.  I didn't bite, and went without.  But Art brought me to want a subscription bad enough, and I'm glad he did.  It's super cheap, the sound quality is awesome, and there is a lot of good content. 

I agree about Coast to Coast.  I think it will disappear before too long.

SR-71

Should Art do a show with our fav caller JC??

b_dubb

Art's fans are probably the most obsequious people on earth

WOTR

Don`t count on it.

I love both agreeing and disagreeing simultaneously.  I think that most guests will appear on whatever show they are able to get booked on (Coast, Dark matters or Opera.)  Most guests have a product to sell and will take any free exposure they can.

There will be a few guests who were probably held under the thumb of Coast for a long time and will be glad that there is an alternative.  I can see Noory loosing a guest an hour prior to the start of a show, making a call to one of his other guests and telling them they will stand in tonight or they will not be on any other night ever again.

Finally, while Coast has more affiliates etc... I would not rule out most guests preferring a spot with Art over one with Dave.  Much of Arts audience will be the more "die hard" fans of their subjects.  Most are actively paying for Arts broadcast (proving that they are willing to spend $$$ on a paranormal product they see as having some value) rather than tuning in to Caost because it is the only thing on @ 2:00 AM, and Art is simply a better interviewer that would arouse peoples interest in the product more than Dave asking if it could be angles.

jinwicked

Those of you who have emailed Art and/or Keith recently, about how long did it take to receive a reply (if you got one)?

Don`t count on it.

Speaking of which, I can't be the only one who's noticed Art's really got the guests on a short leash about hawking their books and vacations research expeditions. Very refreshing.

basswood

Quote from: jinwicked on September 22, 2013, 08:49:58 PM
Those of you who have emailed Art and/or Keith recently, about how long did it take to receive a reply (if you got one)?

Keith used to respond to email, twitter, and FB pretty rapidly but since a few weeks before the show I haven't gotten a single response from either one to the few messages I sent. Maybe it's just coincidence or maybe they are super overloaded with emails now or maybe they think I'm a jerk because I'm not a high-falootin celebrity movie producer like Saucy Rossy. Who knows...?  ;)

The General

Quote from: jinwicked on September 22, 2013, 08:49:58 PM
never got one back.  I like your art!

jinwicked

Quote from: The General on September 22, 2013, 10:05:52 PM
never got one back.  I like your art!

Thank you... I had sent Art a very short Facebook message the day the show started. Facebook shows you when a message is seen, but I didn't write anything that warranted a reply, and I don't want to be a creep. I emailed the artwork to both of them, and was only curious. I've had depression nipping hard at my heels lately and have been struggling to work. Podcasts and good radio helps me immensely to focus. I listened to Art almost every night in my more productive days. I would be so happy to get any kind of acknowledgement from Art.

Someone must have told Norry not to feed trolls, because he never replied to me or any of the artwork I sent. :(

eddie dean

Did anyone else notice the weekend schedule for Dark Matter's reboradcast has changed?
I checked Arts site on Thurs or Fri and he had this order listed:

Fri:Kaku
Sat: Reed (aka. Rutter)
Sun: Hoagland

I skipped Fri rebroadcast because I listened to Kaku 3 times and when I tuned in on Sat at 7pm I was surprised to hear RCH. I then checked ArtBell.com and the schedule had changed to how it is listed now:

Fri: Kaku, Reed
Sat: Hoagland, Kaku
Sun: Reed, Hoagland

I've been lurking around, to see if I missed an explanation about the change, or if I might have read it wrong initialy.
My understanding was the weekend broadcasts were going to be 3 full shows played twice each day. What gives?
Maybe Art decided play 2 full shows each weekend night so he can get everything in?

Nighthawk

Quote from: eddie dean on September 22, 2013, 11:42:09 PM
Did anyone else notice the weekend schedule for Dark Matter's reboradcast has changed?

No you are not seeing things. It did change. I remember looking mid week and it was just the one show on double replay each night. As far as trying to get it all in. Well there is still one show missing from the replay schedule even though it is 2 different replays per night. So I am not sure what the reason is for it being changed.

michio

Quote from: Nighthawk on September 20, 2013, 10:01:30 PM
I just finished listening to the Jay Thomas show from the 13th. He sure did mention Art a lot. He was sure poking fun at Art, his show and subject matter. This is the program Art said he was listening to that he mentioned on Monday nights show. This Jay Thomas is a total idiot. Pretending he doesn't know what a free mason is and saying the word free mason and Art Bell every minute. I really think he was just making fun of Art just to get attention. I had to hear that episode for my own ears.

How interesting.  I haven't heard the Thomas show you mentioned, so I'm unable to speak on its veracity. I watched one of those ghost-type story shows some time ago. This particular episode centered on Jay Thomas and his son meeting with a lady psychic. Jay's kid used to talk to a spirit as a child and was the reason the psychic was there, to delve into who this spirit was, so if Thomas was funning on Bell then perhaps Thomas should start making fun of his kid's paranormal experiences, as well.  Here's a preview of the program I'm referencing.

http://www.biography.com/tv/the-haunting-of/videos/jay-thomas-sons-ghost-spirit-37403203999

420desert

I'm very glad Art is back, and I don't even want to skip the C Crane ads. He can make anything interesting to listen to.

However, I am disappointed with the show thus far. Michiu Kaku could have been a SIT replay from 2009 and I wouldn't even have known save for a few Fukashima references.

I understand there are new listeners, and he's bringing the most interesting classic guests to hopefully hook them in, so I'm not panicking at this point. But he needs to stay fresh and current and not rehash played-out material from 1997.

Hopefully he will have some new guests and new topics soon.

Morgus

Quote from: 420desert on September 23, 2013, 04:01:47 PM
Hopefully he will have some new guests and new topics soon.
tonight (Mon) Art has a new guest, at least one I have never heard before, about a 1952 Nevada UFO crash.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: basswood on September 22, 2013, 10:04:34 PM
Keith used to respond to email, twitter, and FB pretty rapidly but since a few weeks before the show I haven't gotten a single response from either one to the few messages I sent. Maybe it's just coincidence or maybe they are super overloaded with emails now or maybe they think I'm a jerk because I'm not a high-falootin celebrity movie producer like Saucy Rossy. Who knows...?  ;)

BAH HAH hahahaha

Keith is a very nice guy but I don't have any sort of special treatment or expect any. He is usually very good about getting back to emails with questions in them, however I've recently sent him cool story links and seen them up on the site without an email back, but I know he got the email cus the stories went up (or a ton of other people suggested them too who knows)

But you need to remember, Keith, Paul, and Art are all extremely busy and the amount of email they must receive has to be overwhelming.
When I made a special request for some audio from Art for the fourth trailer he responded with an attachment and a "Here you go!"

And thats BEYOND anything he needed to do. I appreciate and respect their time and know what it's like to have so many people contacting you about stuff (right out of highschool I worked in radio and produced three shows a week), it can all get overwhelming. So be a bit more understanding.

Just my suggestion.

Murder101

Question. If I tune in to Dark Matter at 10 can I pause it then at 11 hit play and listen from the start?

jazmunda

Quote from: Murder101 on September 23, 2013, 05:15:46 PM
Question. If I tune in to Dark Matter at 10 can I pause it then at 11 hit play and listen from the start?

If you have the SiriusXM smartphone App you can tune in at anytime, anywhere and start listening from the beginning of the show.

phrodo

Quote from: jazmunda on September 23, 2013, 05:17:34 PM
If you have the SiriusXM smartphone App you can tune in at anytime, anywhere and start listening from the beginning of the show.

Same with listening on a puter ... you can go back in time several hours.

DanTSX

Within a few minutes of hearing the new show on a friend's SiriusXM device, I had pretty much decided that I would reactivate my old receiver after years of dust collection.

The new show is damn good.  It isn't 1990's coast, but the interview quality, interaction, and interest are very good.  Certainly better than the last few years that Art was on C2CAM in the early to mid 2000's.  The show grabs you right off the bat, and I will have no issues paying to hear it.

Well done Art!

Morgus

Quote from: Murder101 on September 23, 2013, 05:15:46 PM
On the PC Sirius player you can start the show from the beginning any time within 5 hours of the show's actual start time, just press the "Start Now" button and you will see a list of the shows within the last 5 hours - select Art Bell's Dark Matter and it will start playing from the beginning.

You can also move around the timeline to get to any point in the last 5 hours or use the forward/reverse buttons to move to the breaks within the show (typically about 30min intervals).

The shows also appear in the On Demand archive a few hours after the live show ends - and those have the ad breaks removed.

ItsOver

Quote from: Morgus on September 23, 2013, 07:30:26 PM
...The shows also appear in the On Demand archive a few hours after the live show ends - and those have the ad breaks removed.

I've taken to listening to those.  I get to listen to the bumper music but no commercials.  Three and a half hours of All-Art plus his music selections.  8)

Spinner

Art talked to Mike "Madman" Marcum!!! 
I can't wait to hear what he's been up to.

bateman

Quote from: Spinner on September 23, 2013, 08:15:22 PM
Art talked to Mike "Madman" Marcum!!! 
I can't wait to hear what he's been up to.

Times. Two.

ziznak

Art Bell gets mentioned on the Opie and Anthony after show (shit show) by Sam Roberts today!!!

http://www.hulkshare.com/gregorioantonioyimmy/2013-09-24-ss-64k

Sam says he listens to Art on the indy channel on his way in to work early mornings.  Pretty sure thats the replay. 

Holy shit he got himself a free plug... a long one too...