• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

The reason people bring it up is because of him making that 'George gets it remark'.

I believe Art on this one completely, but have wondered what he meant when he said that.

Morgus

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 30, 2013, 02:08:23 AM
The reason people bring it up is because of him making that 'George gets it remark'.

I believe Art on this one completely, but have wondered what he meant when he said that.
he probably meant Noory "gets" how to be a Premrat yes-man...

Morgus

Quote from: coaster on August 30, 2013, 01:39:47 AM
From Art's facebook-
"I guess it is about time to straighten a few things out. I had no input or voice into the choice of George Noory as Host...none. He recently, after Dark Matter was announced dropped my name from mention then he says put it back because it was the right thing to do, nonsense, he did it so he could stop open line callers from being cut off because they kept trying to mention my new show. That is why he announced it. I wanted my name dropped from the show as well as my Saturday shows stopped to be blunt because I hated the direction the show had taken and no longer wanted to be associated with it. George is I am sure a nice guy BUT he has become lazy and does not pay attention. I am sorry to be so blunt but that's how I feel. I hope what little competition I can provide will cause him to up his game"

many coastgabbers figured that was the case.
bateman's calls really scared Noory apparently.
Noory's true face was revealed by his initial onair reaction...

Quote from: Morgus on August 30, 2013, 02:22:39 AM

George is not exactly fast on his feet.  He is the opposite of spontaneous.  Which seem like requirements for an interview show that features call ins.

Morgus

More interesting followup posts by Art Bell on his facebook page tonight in response to comments from followers, including what he meant exactly when he said 10 years ago that "George gets it"

Art Bell: When they hired George they asked me to say something nice about him, all I knew at that point was he did a Paranormal show In St Louis so I said "He gets it" that was a Decade ago. Since then if he ever got it, he lost it again.

Art Bell: yes he suddenly has started playing my bumper music like crazy, I wonder what is up with that, it started the day I announced.

Art Bell: George Knapp is indeed my friend and one hell of a Host, if he was the full time guy I would stay Retired happy that Coast was in good hands, he is also a award winning TV Reporter on KLAS

Sardondi

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 30, 2013, 02:08:23 AM

My take on it is, what the heck else was he gonna say? We've all been in situations where good manners if nothing else required us to say something nice about someone we hardly knew. Art wanted the show to succeed, and the "gets it" remark was fairly benign under the circumstances.

It just happened to be really, really wrong. Or maybe just incomplete, because a more accurate statement would be, "George gets it. He's also lazy as hell and doesn't give a damn, but he gets it."

Juan

It's funny that Art's complaints about sNoory are exactly the same as ours.

Quote from: Morgus on August 30, 2013, 02:59:34 AM
... Art Bell: George Knapp is indeed my friend and one hell of a Host, if he was the full time guy I would stay Retired happy that Coast was in good hands...

This isn't the first time Art has alluded to coming back because of what Coast has become.  But around the beginning of the ear when he said he was considering offers, he said he ultimately turned them down because he didn't want to do it for the wrong reasons.

I wish he were coming back because he loved it and missed it, period.  It's a little unsettling.

Quote from: UFO Fill on August 30, 2013, 03:18:06 AM

Because they are true.

I'm taking credit for being the first one on the old GLP thread to point out laziness as being one of George's faults.  Dumb and Lazy.

Quote from: Sardondi on August 30, 2013, 03:04:04 AM
My take on it is, what the heck else was he gonna say? We've all been in situations where good manners if nothing else required us to say something nice about someone we hardly knew. Art wanted the show to succeed, and the "gets it" remark was fairly benign under the circumstances.

It just happened to be really, really wrong. Or maybe just incomplete, because a more accurate statement would be, "George gets it. He's also lazy as hell and doesn't give a damn, but he gets it."

Art's a nice guy, when George was the one to introduce him during his induction into the Radio Hall of Fame, I'm sure  George begged him to let him be the one to do it.

Scully

Here's another snippet of the FB conversation.  One poster had said that Noory has just gotten old and tired and should probably retire. This was Art's response:

Sardondi

Quote from: UFO Fill on August 30, 2013, 03:18:06 AM
My thought as well. He sounds just like one of our posts. And it tends to undermine the "all is forgiven" attitude of those who were so pleased with the gnoory posts.

There is a direct line from Art's announcement to the Facebook posts on the c2c, the calls asking about Art that led here, the last outpost of resistance to Noory. Gnoory is all about damage control, all of the promises to do better, all the pretense of humility that he lost it along the way. It's a bid for sympathy for doing a lackluster job and pulling a paycheck for the last 8 years. I won't say he was Noory when he first took over the helm, but he grew lazy, and someone yanked the show into topics and issues that never were part of the classic c2c.

I've always thought the straw was SiT being the lead-in to Wells' paranoia fest. Up until then, it was watching the show quality deteriorate thanks to the host. Art has proven that you can take the crappiest/whackiest guest and turn the interview into something interesting by being engaged and asking the right questions. And if it doesn't work, drop him and go to open lines.  And now, Art's being honest about how he feels about the show he built. Can't fault him.

I think Noory has every reason to be unsettled. Art is back, and since Noory doesn't believe in coincidences, it's probably no coincidence that the first 100 people got free streamlink. The bottom line may be the people who cancel streamlink to pick up Sirius.

McPhallus

We're likely to see more stupid antics from Noory/Premiere in the coming months.  I'm thinking we're about to find out just how dysfunctional that setup really is.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on August 30, 2013, 05:51:29 AM
I won't say he was Noory when he first took over the helm

I won't say he was *bad when he first took over the helm - typo, sorry about that, because he's always been Noory.  ::)

Renaldo

Art's post was a wonderful surprise when I woke up this morning.  Yes, gloves are off. Can't wait for the 16th.

CampsieNP

SaucyRossy

What can I say other than I love Art

Oh and it's on!!!!

wenck

"I have gritted my teeth and kept my mouth shut for 10 long Years, times up." - Art Bell

I'm hoping that this means more revelations about the inner-workings of PermRat.

HorrorRetro

Not that we needed it, but it sure gives us validation on what we've been saying all along.  I can't wait until the 16th!  8)  I'm sure Noory and his crew will hit back with some more passive-aggressive behavior on Monday.  ::)

SaucyRossy

Quote from: wenck on August 30, 2013, 10:02:26 AM
"I have gritted my teeth and kept my mouth shut for 10 long Years, times up." - Art Bell

I'm hoping that this means more revelations about the inner-workings of PermRat.

By all means, Art can get whatever he wants off his chest but sooner or later this will all be behind us and we will be enjoying a run of new "classic" shows with the master.

George sucks.

Quote from: Morgus on August 29, 2013, 11:29:04 PM
I sure hope Art Bell on his new Sirius show has some special call in line topics with the ones he did back in the 90's: time travelers, aliens, Area 51 employees/whistleblowers, antichrists, men in black, etc.
Those were very specific and the best - unlike Noory's stupid ones like "tell your scariest story" ;)

Frankly, I don`t think a lot of those old call-in lines will work. At least not initially. The reason being, his audience will be extremely limited. With time, and with a quality product, that could change.

Of course, in the spirit of full disclosure, I am very skeptical of the entire venture. 

so either
A) Art was paid for/had it in his contract that Premiere has the rights to air old shows for SIT
B) Premiere is violating copyright law

If it's A then Art can bitch all he wants on the internet but if the content is theirs they can do with it what they want.  If it's B then he needs to call Saul Goodman

bateman

Quote from: Morgus on August 30, 2013, 02:22:39 AM

:D Danheiser doesn't do such a hot job screening.

Quote from: wenck on August 30, 2013, 10:02:26 AM

I would advise him to be very careful about that.

Not only does he open himself to the potential of a lawsuit, he also risks coming across as sour grapes. Nobody wants to hear that.

DesertFox

Quote from: Morgus on August 30, 2013, 02:59:34 AM
More interesting followup posts by Art Bell on his facebook page tonight in response to comments from followers, including what he meant exactly when he said 10 years ago that "George gets it"

Art Bell: When they hired George they asked me to say something nice about him, all I knew at that point was he did a Paranormal show In St Louis so I said "He gets it" that was a Decade ago. Since then if he ever got it, he lost it again.

Art Bell: yes he suddenly has started playing my bumper music like crazy, I wonder what is up with that, it started the day I announced.

Art Bell: George Knapp is indeed my friend and one hell of a Host, if he was the full time guy I would stay Retired happy that Coast was in good hands, he is also a award winning TV Reporter on KLAS

I love Art being honest!  But one thing confuses me--when Art said "George gets it"...didn't he know more about George's performance other than he was on a paranormal show in St. Louis? 

Wasn't at the time Art said that--George had been a back-up host for Coast for a good while?  I was under the impression at that time Art was giving a thumbs up to what George had done at Coast up to that time.

ItsOver

Quote from: DesertFox on August 30, 2013, 11:14:02 AM

I love Art being honest!  But one thing confuses me--when Art said "George gets it"...didn't he know more about George's performance other than he was on a paranormal show in St. Louis? 

Wasn't at the time Art said that--George had been a back-up host for Coast for a good while?  I was under the impression at that time Art was giving a thumbs up to what George had done at Coast up to that time.

Far be it for me to speak for Art but I've always thought Art's "George gets it" remark was more of a tongue in cheek remark that Dave get's how to be a "yes man" and play the PremRat corporate game.  Dave "gets that."

NowhereInTime

Quote from: ItsOver on August 30, 2013, 12:26:26 PM
Far be it for me to speak for Art but I've always thought Art's "George gets it" remark was more of a tongue in cheek remark that Dave get's how to be a "yes man" and play the PremRat corporate game.  Dave "gets that."
Speaking of which, let's see how Dave reacts with Art decimating him as someone who doesn't "get it" anymore.  I wonder if Dave will get that Art has minimal respect for his (in)ability...
I bet Art is removed from the sign-off as early as tonight.

DesertFox

Quote from: ItsOver on August 30, 2013, 12:26:26 PM

I remember Art saying "George Gets It" and it was a straight compliment.  It was like a thumbs up for the takeover.  And it was after George had been on Coast for some time.  Art if I remember correctly also talked how Mike Siegal didn't get the vibe of Coast while George got it.  I think that was part of what Art said. 

That said I don't blame Art for changing his mind.

ItsOver

Quote from: DesertFox on August 30, 2013, 12:56:42 PM

I remember Art saying "George Gets It" and it was a straight compliment.  It was like a thumbs up for the takeover.  And it was after George had been on Coast for some time.  Art if I remember correctly also talked how Mike Siegal didn't get the vibe of Coast while George got it.  I think that was part of what Art said. 

That said I don't blame Art for changing his mind.

Of course, only Art knows for sure what he was trying to say at the time.  We all know what Art's saying now.  ;) :)